Nick Blackwell

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo2001uk
Team Supported: Darlington

Nick Blackwell

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:11 pm

Why, when other sports are taking commendable action regarding head injuries, are boxers still allowed to go into the ring with the express intent of knocking their opponent senseless?

And then Eubank Jr spouts: "This is what boxing needs, two warriors who stand and fight." Incredible.

At least his father tried to do something to get the fight stopped.

Here's hoping for a full recovery for Nick Blackwell.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Nick Blackwell

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:48 pm

Chris Eubank Snr recognised that Blackwell was getting beaten up and told his son, not to land head shots on Blackwell and to just concentrate on his body, which has to be applauded.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:10 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Why, when other sports are taking commendable action regarding head injuries, are boxers still allowed to go into the ring with the express intent of knocking their opponent senseless?
I'm not criticising boxing here but it is a sport where two people have to repeatedly punch each other in the head.

What did you think would happen??

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:40 pm

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:56 am

I'm not criticising boxing here but it is a sport where two people have to repeatedly punch each other in the head.

What did you think would happen??[/quote]

Exactly my point. Why is boxing allowed to continue?

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:32 am

darlo2001uk wrote:Why, when other sports are taking commendable action regarding head injuries, are boxers still allowed to go into the ring with the express intent of knocking their opponent senseless?

And then Eubank Jr spouts: "This is what boxing needs, two warriors who stand and fight." Incredible.

Don't jump on the bandwaggon.

Do you really think Eubank Snr was telling Eubank to avoid the head purely for health reasons? Bollocks. It was clearly a tactical decision.

I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the Michael Watson incident, but I am. And boxing has come a hell of a long way since then. Accidents happen in sport, and despite the nature of the sport, there are very, very, very few tragic incidents like this.

I think I read somewhere that more professional motor racing drivers have died in the past 100 years than boxers. Do we ban that too?

It's sad, but we get the predictable outcry everytime such a sad incident occurs.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:39 am

These men are grown adults and they know the risk: nobody is forcing them to take part.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 am

I completely agree, but the amount of people who are calling for the sport to be banned, and also blaming the referee is absurd.

It's the same as horse racing in that when we get horses dying at the national, people jump on the bandwagon calling for changes,
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:59 am

ArmchairDiehard wrote:I completely agree, but the amount of people who are calling for the sport to be banned, and also blaming the referee is absurd.

It's the same as horse racing in that when we get horses dying at the national, people jump on the bandwagon calling for changes,
I wouldn't say those two issues are related.

The boxers choose to take part and know the risk, but the horses don't have a choice.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:02 pm

I didn't mean it in that context

I meant when we see tragedies in sport, we always get people with little or no interest in a sport crying out for changes and sometimes for the sport to be banned.
Quakerz wrote:

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:14 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:I didn't mean it in that context

I meant when we see tragedies in sport, we always get people with little or no interest in a sport crying out for changes and sometimes for the sport to be banned.
Ah right, I see what you mean, and I agree with you in every sport other than horse racing because I feel sorry for the horses and they don't have a choice... :(

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:24 pm

To be honest, I'm not keen on any sport that involves animals, but I see your point.

I know a few amateur boxers, and it's true that a lot of young kids who may well be off (or going off) the rails have had their lives turned around through boxing. I know a couple who now work with similar kids themselves.
Quakerz wrote:

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:30 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:

Don't jump on the bandwaggon.

Do you really think Eubank Snr was telling Eubank to avoid the head purely for health reasons? Bollocks. It was clearly a tactical decision.

I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the Michael Watson incident, but I am. And boxing has come a hell of a long way since then. Accidents happen in sport, and despite the nature of the sport, there are very, very, very few tragic incidents like this.

I think I read somewhere that more professional motor racing drivers have died in the past 100 years than boxers. Do we ban that too?

It's sad, but we get the predictable outcry everytime such a sad incident occurs.
I do remember Watson / Eubank. Medical facilities have improved since then but it is still a barbaric sport from the dark ages.

What has motor racing got to do with boxing? The aim of motorsport is not to injure your opponent. In boxing it is.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:48 pm

The aim of boxing is not to injure your opponent.
Quakerz wrote:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:54 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:

Ah right, I see what you mean, and I agree with you in every sport other than horse racing because I feel sorry for the horses and they don't have a choice... :(
Greyhound racing Image

And horses do have a choice. Ever heard of Mad Moose?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:22 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:The aim of boxing is not to injure your opponent.
How is punching your opponent repeatedly in the head until he is either unconscious or incapable of defending himself not causing injury?

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:44 pm

You said the aim was to injure them. Thats simply not the case.
Quakerz wrote:

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:

Greyhound racing Image

And horses do have a choice. Ever heard of Mad Moose?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I should rephrase that: I'm not a fan of any sport where animals could die.

And by "choice" I meant being aware of the consequences and risks and making a conscious decision to participate, so Mad Moose's "choice" isn't the same kind of choice a human would make.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:39 pm

If they managed to ban boxing, which I don't think will happen, but if it did, then it would just drive boxing underground, unregulated and far more dangerous for the boxers involved as the medical facilities would end up nothing like they are now.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Boxing will never get banned.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:10 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:You said the aim was to injure them. Thats simply not the case.
So what is the aim of these 'warriors' as Eubank referred to himself?

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:22 am

To outscore your opponent

The 'aim' isn't to hurt or injure them. It's a sport.
Quakerz wrote:

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:49 am

And how is knocking out your opponent not injuring them?

A player who is knocked out in football or rugby, as an example, would be termed as being injured.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:16 pm

I never said knocking them out

That's just an added bonus

The art of boxing is in the skill
Quakerz wrote:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:30 pm

I blame Rocky - wonder what his scorecard would have looked like had he not ended up landing a knockout blow each time!

I only understand boxing from commentary from a couple of guys who I know are into it. The fights that the mass crowds want to see don't seem to be the best fights from a purists point of view.

Seems it is not infact even about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. More about how many times you can hit and you can block/stop yourself being hit.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:I never said knocking them out

That's just an added bonus

The art of boxing is in the skill

'added bonus' :wtf:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Boxing involves punching your opponent repeatedly in the head. If you did that in the street you would be locked up, but, as it is a "sport" with rules it's deemed acceptable.

Looking at the mortality rates tells only part of the story. There are plenty of ex-boxers with brain injuries and related neurological conditions. How many other sports allow, and encourage, the unprotected head to be a target of attack?
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Lawman3 wrote:Looking at the mortality rates tells only part of the story. There are plenty of ex-boxers with brain injuries and related neurological conditions.
Up until the mid 70's boxing was a sport that you had to take part in at numerous public schools. I know this as my father was a teacher at one of these schools.

Nobody should ever be pressured into boxing, it is undeniably dangerous.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Lawman3 wrote:Boxing involves punching your opponent repeatedly in the head. If you did that in the street you would be locked up, but, as it is a "sport" with rules it's deemed acceptable.
There is quite a lot you are allowed to do within sports because it is the rules but you couldn't do on the street.

Driving cars at 140mph, rugby tackling people, slide tackling aren't things you can do on the high street without likely incurring the attention of law enforcement.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:51 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Lawman3 wrote:Boxing involves punching your opponent repeatedly in the head. If you did that in the street you would be locked up, but, as it is a "sport" with rules it's deemed acceptable.
There is quite a lot you are allowed to do within sports because it is the rules but you couldn't do on the street.

Driving cars at 140mph, rugby tackling people, slide tackling aren't things you can do on the high street without likely incurring the attention of law enforcement.
But, unlike your examples, Boxing involves repeated punches to the face and head, where a knockout is positively encouraged. Whether causing injury to your opponent is the aim or not, it is a realistic outcome due to the nature of the sport.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.