Terrorism abroad.

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Henley
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The threat of terrorism abroad.

Post by Henley » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:01 pm

OHDFC wrote:
Henley wrote:I think Pete's only problem here (at least to some) is that he publicised his thoughts.

I know lots of us will think "It's probably going to happen, so please let it not be me who is the victim" but won't say it. I wouldn't admonish anyone for thinking it.

With regards to whether Pete should have said it publicly, personally speaking, I prefer people to be honest. Even if I disagree with what they say I can respect their honesty and what's the point of having a forum such as this if you feel you can't be honest?

From the EU referendum, it's hit home just how many people are unprincipled, dishonest and untrustworthy (and that's just the politicians) and, with this in mind, I feel I have no justification to attack Pete for his honesty. Pete can do things that a lot of people find abnormal but I don't believe he's evil/nasty for sharing the thought he did above.

You come across as fair-minded and decent, OHDFC, and someone who keeps things in perspective so I wouldn't want this to make you look like a reactionary Grauniad-reading 'vicarious' victim.
Yes, well I found the comment to be out of order, and maybe I took it more personally because of my connections to Turkey. My wife's family live in a tourist resort, although not an international one, so I know how important tourism is there. We flew to Turkey on the day the plane went down and the last thing that my wife - who is a nervous flier to say the least - saw before we left for the airport was breaking news of the crash. Not the most relaxing of journeys.

We had also been in Istanbul on the day of the January attack, although only in the airport - we took off pretty much as the bomb exploded so we only found out about it when we landed. Come to think of it, I also flew the night before the Germanwings crash, although was flying to England that night.
I understand.

P.S. Can you share your travel plans for the next 2 years? :shifty:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:26 am

LOL I was just about to say the same.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Henley

Post by Henley » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:31 pm

A Darlo Pete post incoming . . .

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:22 am

Henley wrote:A Darlo Pete post incoming . . .
Do I have to wait for it, or can I tell the c**t to F**k off now

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Wow - don't think anyone saw this coming. Sincerely hope this is resolved quickly and peacefully...

Turkey army group announces takeover on TV

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Just back from Turkey, it was rather bizarre being on holiday whilst a coup was going on. TV channels carrying international news in English were blocked. The only outward sign of the coup was that all day trips were cancelled for one day. I think a second coup is highly likely, as a lot of people are unhappy with the way things are going and if a second coup happens, there won't be widespread public support for the Government and President. The President is being dictatorial and is using his powers to eradicate all of his perceived opponents.

It seems that there almost daily terrorist attacks in different parts of the world. Undoubtedly things will get worse before they get better, if things will ever get better.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Just back from Turkey, it was rather bizarre being on holiday whilst a coup was going on. TV channels carrying international news in English were blocked. The only outward sign of the coup was that all day trips were cancelled for one day. I think a second coup is highly likely, as a lot of people are unhappy with the way things are going and if a second coup happens, there won't be widespread public support for the Government and President. The President is being dictatorial and is using his powers to eradicate all of his perceived opponents.

It seems that there almost daily terrorist attacks in different parts of the world. Undoubtedly things will get worse before they get better, if things will ever get better.
Is this you, Pete?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... tary_coup/

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Just back from Turkey, it was rather bizarre being on holiday whilst a coup was going on. TV channels carrying international news in English were blocked. The only outward sign of the coup was that all day trips were cancelled for one day. I think a second coup is highly likely, as a lot of people are unhappy with the way things are going and if a second coup happens, there won't be widespread public support for the Government and President. The President is being dictatorial and is using his powers to eradicate all of his perceived opponents.

Is this you, Pete?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... tary_coup/
Nope that's not me, although I wish I was that young!

Darlo_Pete

Re: Terrorism abroad.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:37 am

Terrorism abroad is no longer a threat, it is a reality. The number and nature of the attacks is mind boggling. I can't think how these attacks can be stopped. Very sadly, the terrorists will see the success of these attacks (there thought process, not mine), that it will inspire others to follow.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Pete. Terrorism abroad has been a reality for many many years. It's just our media don't report unless it is happening in Western European countries.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:21 pm

I agree to some extent, although it is in the media. I often read the international news on the BBC web pages and that has always been full of terrorist attacks around the world. Now that it is happening on our back door, it's being reported on all forms of media and so it is coming to the attention of everybody here, as most people haven't up to now taken much interest in what is happening elsewhere in places like Colombia, Venezuela, Egypt, Congo, Mozambique, Somali, India, etc, etc.