Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Fracking

Post by liddle_4_ever » Tue May 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Lawman3 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Whether you like fossil fuels or not, the world as we know it wouldn't work without them, as nuclear and renewables are nowhere near meeting our energy demands. The gap is even more pronounced in underdeveloped countries. So sadly we are stuck with them. Fossil fuels are not infinite and we need to find new sources. Without fracking energy demands will very soon outstrip supplies, forcing prices up, which will cause widespread energy poverty. In America fracking has produced large amounts of gas, with only a few issues. As fracking develops around the world, more effective and safer ways of extraction will be developed.
At what environmental cost?
With suitable investment, we could switch to renewable clean energy in a very short space of time. The problem, however, is a political one - there is no desire from the current government to do so, because it requires investment and effort.
The suitable investment would have to be massive and for the environment it would only be effective, if there is a political will throughout the world. Britain having clean energy will not make any difference to global warming, if there is no massive investments in renewable clean energy in other developed and undeveloped economies throughout the world.
You are correct that Britain becoming greener will have a very small global impact when countries like China are building more coal power stations and Indonesia are burning their forests but this is the right thing to do and being a global leader will allow our companies to then sell their technology aboard, generating profits, taxes and providing jobs.

This was the plan with carbon capture and storage (CCS), taking carbon dioxide from power plants and heavy industry, liquifying it and pumping it underground. We were the global leaders in this technology. There were plans for a CCS project in Scotland and another, called White Rose, in Yorkshire and surrounding areas. White rose was going to be taking CO2 from Drax and other large emitters (such as steel works) liquifying it and pumping it offshore between Withernsea and Hornsea. The pipeline would end at a platform before being pumped down a well and injected into a sandstone reservoir.
The Conservative government, in their wisdom, decided at the beginning of the year to cancel all funding for the CCS projects so they were both cancelled. This was a great opportunity missed and a huge amount of work and money down the drain.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fracking

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 24, 2016 3:41 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Whether you like fossil fuels or not, the world as we know it wouldn't work without them, as nuclear and renewables are nowhere near meeting our energy demands.
There's no reason why nuclear couldn't meet our energy needs.
Yes I realise that nuclear power could meet our energy needs, but look at the problems they are having in just building one new nuclear power plant at Hinkley Point and the potential costs of the electricity that such a plant would produce. I guess to be self reliant on nuclear fuel, we'd probably have to build 20+ nuclear power plants. Where would they go, as they'd need to be built on the coast, as they need vast amounts of sea water for cooling purposes.

Liddle_4_ever have you any idea how much of our current consumption of gas could be produced by fracking?

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Tue May 24, 2016 6:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Liddle_4_ever have you any idea how much of our current consumption of gas could be produced by fracking?
No, sorry, I don't know.

THE PRINCE OF WALES

Post by THE PRINCE OF WALES » Tue May 24, 2016 8:30 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:here's no reason why nuclear couldn't meet our energy needs.
also coal,there are more coal reserves than gas or oil,convert the powerstations to stop thr admissions of coal and with nuclear we should have enough energy.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 24, 2016 9:26 pm

THE PRINCE OF WALES wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:here's no reason why nuclear couldn't meet our energy needs.
also coal,there are more coal reserves than gas or oil,convert the powerstations to stop thr admissions of coal and with nuclear we should have enough energy.
Good point. No doubt sometime in the future our huge reserves of coal, will become very valuable to Britain. As technology advances, the coal will become more economically viable as an energy resource.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed May 25, 2016 12:40 am

Something that's being looked into is underground coal gasification. There was funding for a UCG project on the NE coast but I don't know the current status. In this project there was to be 2 wells drilled directionally into a coal seam under the sea. The coal is then set alight with one well controlling the oxygen available to the fire. Controlling the burn allows gas to be produced which then travels up the 2nd well to surface where the gas can be processed/cleaned.

I don't know enough about this process to have an informed opinion but I'd be concerned about subsidence and the efficiency of the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed May 25, 2016 11:39 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Whether you like fossil fuels or not, the world as we know it wouldn't work without them, as nuclear and renewables are nowhere near meeting our energy demands.
Yes I realise that nuclear power could meet our energy needs, but look at the problems they are having in just building one new nuclear power plant at Hinkley Point and the potential costs of the electricity that such a plant would produce. I guess to be self reliant on nuclear fuel, we'd probably have to build 20+ nuclear power plants. Where would they go, as they'd need to be built on the coast, as they need vast amounts of sea water for cooling purposes.

Liddle_4_ever have you any idea how much of our current consumption of gas could be produced by fracking?
Problem is always NIMBYs. They dont want a nuclear power station on their doorstep, they dont want fossil fuels being burned nearby, they dont want fracking, they dont want windfarms. No matter what direction the authorities decided to head down they would always get complaints.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 25, 2016 11:53 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:

Problem is always NIMBYs. They dont want a nuclear power station on their doorstep, they dont want fossil fuels being burned nearby, they dont want fracking, they dont want windfarms. No matter what direction the authorities decided to head down they would always get complaints.
They could always turn poolie into one big nuclear power plant, I'm sure nobody would complain about that. :D

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed May 25, 2016 12:08 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:

I think this is a manifestation of the over inflated housing market. Some people own nice rural homes that are worth more than they will ever earn in their lifetime so they'll fight anything that could potentially damage the value of their property.

The south east has the highest demand for electricity so they should be responsible for producing the most electricity. That's where the majority of the new power stations should be built.

grytters

Post by grytters » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:18 am

Scottish Parliament votes for an "outright ban" on fracking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-36422083

(Now only if the English regions had their own assemblies with the power to make these decisions, without planning decisions being devolved to local authorities on a piecemeal basis)
Bring Back the Quarters

liddle_4_ever

Fracking

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:33 pm

The SNP also has a "strategy" of no new nuclear power plants, their energy policy is a joke!

The only reasons to not frack is NIMBYism, lack of understanding of what is involved (including safe practices employed) or for negative impact on climate change.

NIMBYism doesn't fly for me, after a well is drilled you would be unlikely to ever know it was there (work overs and decommissioning aside).
The fear mongering shouldn't impact governmental decisions, MPs are responsible for knowing as much as possible about the subject they are voting on.
The SNP caring about climate change despite their independence hopes being built on O&G revenues is laughable.

grytters

Post by grytters » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:10 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:The SNP also has a "strategy" of no new nuclear power plants, their energy policy is a joke!

The only reasons to not frack is NIMBYism, lack of understanding of what is involved (including safe practices employed) or for negative impact on climate change.

NIMBYism doesn't fly for me, after a well is drilled you would be unlikely to ever know it was there (work overs and decommissioning aside).
The fear mongering shouldn't impact governmental decisions, MPs are responsible for knowing as much as possible about the subject they are voting on.
The SNP caring about climate change despite their independence hopes being built on O&G revenues is laughable.

There's more than enough empirical evidence to show fracking contaminates ground water.

Until that is addressed, it needs to be opposed and blocked.
Bring Back the Quarters

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:22 pm

i do think liddle_4_ever covered this off earlier on. The way in which UK fracking would be regulated the instances where ground water was contaminated (across the US) wouldn't take place.

Tend to think someone in the industry would have a good idea about these things.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:20 am

Good to see that the fracking appeal against Fracking in Northallerton, is relying on some bats to overturn the decision to allow fracking. That's just batty.