Post by BishopQuaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:53 am

http://tinyurl.com/y93uc3o

Stupid spiteful bitch.

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Today's Daily Mail Rant

Post by al_quaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:53 pm

"I would also be furious if any of the money were given to medical research"
That is just disgusting. As is a lot of the article.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Yep thats the bit that boiled my piss.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:00 pm

I can see her point (about charity "presents"), but she did take an awfully long time to say something that could easily have been explained in one paragraph and with far less controversy-mongering.

This part made me laugh out loud:
"Anyway, for heaven's sake, it's not as if the rest of us don't give money to charity! (Hope And Homes For Children, since you ask.) But we do it privately, not wishing to trumpet our generosity to the world."

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:21 pm

I bet Hope and Homes for children are thrilled they've got such a generous and considerate sole for a supporter.

grytters

Post by grytters » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:04 pm

I generally agree with her point.

If I, or anyone else decide to spend money that may otherwise have gone on Crimbo presents on a charitable gift - that's my choice.

To tell that person that I have decided to spend "their" money on that gift is a downright insult - you're better off saying nowt.
Bring Back the Quarters

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:56 am

I don't agree with her point in the slightest. But then, I agree with very little of whats written in the Daily Heil. It's a dangerous biggotted hate-rag.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:15 pm

yeah can see her point. I would not like it if thats what a got on christmas morning

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:38 pm

DIRTYDAVE wrote:yeah can see her point. I would not like it if thats what a got on christmas morning
Well aren't you just a philanthropic little bugger

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:39 pm

fat tony wrote:I don't agree with her point in the slightest. But then, I agree with very little of whats written in the Daily Heil. It's a dangerous biggotted hate-rag.
No, I can't agree. It's playing charity auction bidding games, you're trying to prove you're "better" than someone else because "you" give to charity, and that you give more to charity than other folks [and presumably go back to ordering the Fortnum's hampers for the rest of the year] - and let's be honest, they tend to be desperately "worthy" causes, don't they?

Middle-class guilt trip.

Goats in Africa, Rainforests, Dolphins, etc.

Far better off "Thinking Global, and acting Local" as they say.
Bring Back the Quarters

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:48 pm

grytters wrote:
fat tony wrote:I don't agree with her point in the slightest. But then, I agree with very little of whats written in the Daily Heil. It's a dangerous biggotted hate-rag.
No, I can't agree. It's playing charity auction bidding games, you're trying to prove you're "better" than someone else because "you" give to charity, and that you give more to charity than other folks [and presumably go back to ordering the Fortnum's hampers for the rest of the year] - and let's be honest, they tend to be desperately "worthy" causes, don't they?

Middle-class guilt trip.

Yeah and buy people tickets to Darlo games as Christmas presents instead. A hopeless cause on people's doorsteps.

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:00 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:
grytters wrote:

Middle-class guilt trip.

Yeah and buy people tickets to Darlo games as Christmas presents instead. A hopeless cause on people's doorsteps.
But you wouldn't buy someone Darlo tickets who has no interest in football, and no support for Darlo, would you - you'd get them as a treat for someone with a genuine interest in the club.
Bring Back the Quarters

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:46 am

grytters wrote:

Middle-class guilt trip.

If you'd like to support a children's cancer research charity I know a great one