Parent and Child Bays

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TeessideQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Parent and Child Bays

Post by TeessideQuaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Is it actually an offence to park in one of these without a child? It really pisses me off when I see people flaunting it and just parking there for the sake of it. Make it an instant £100 fine and it will stop. Inconsiderate clowns.

aveda

Re: Parent and Child Bays

Post by aveda » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Depends where it is and what the rules are governing that particular car park

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Asda at Bishop Auckland will fine you if you don't have a baby seat in the car and you use the bays. well thats what the sign says, no idea how strictly it is ever enforced.

Personally I would do away with them anyway. I can see the need for disabled bays, as they need to be wider and have wheelchair access ramps etc, but Parent & Child? Why does someone with a kid need to be any closer to the door than anyone else? In most places its hardly an epic trek from supermarket door to car, even in the furthest bays!

Shrew
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:16 pm

A few years ago I would have agreed with you Shrews. Now with two children, I can assure you they are very useful.

SteveSC

Post by SteveSC » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Are there any age limits on the 'child' in this situation. Could I take my mum and park in one of these slots?

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:09 pm

ShrewsX wrote:Asda at Bishop Auckland will fine you if you don't have a baby seat in the car and you use the bays. well thats what the sign says, no idea how strictly it is ever enforced.

Personally I would do away with them anyway. I can see the need for disabled bays, as they need to be wider and have wheelchair access ramps etc, but Parent & Child? Why does someone with a kid need to be any closer to the door than anyone else? In most places its hardly an epic trek from supermarket door to car, even in the furthest bays!

Shrew

i think when you have kids you may think differently. I have a big issue with the use of these bays, whether they are being used by disabled badge holders when their bays are full, or used by lazy arsed people with no kids. I get obsessed wit looking into peoples cars for signs of children. One time the wife got told off for parking in a disabled bay after a disabled driver complained. The reason she parked in that bay? because their was a blue badge holder parked in the parent and child bay next to it. Anyway, when the wife heads to morrisons with two youngsters, I don't want them trying to cross a busy car park.

SuperQuaker

Post by SuperQuaker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Only time I use disabled and/or parent and child bays is at about 7/8pm at night, when the place is pretty much deserted anyway. I wouldn't ever steal the last one just for sake of convenience during busy times.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:19 pm

uncovered wrote:
ShrewsX wrote:Asda at Bishop Auckland will fine you if you don't have a baby seat in the car and you use the bays. well thats what the sign says, no idea how strictly it is ever enforced.

Shrew

i think when you have kids you may think differently. I have a big issue with the use of these bays, whether they are being used by disabled badge holders when their bays are full, or used by lazy arsed people with no kids. I get obsessed wit looking into peoples cars for signs of children. One time the wife got told off for parking in a disabled bay after a disabled driver complained. The reason she parked in that bay? because their was a blue badge holder parked in the parent and child bay next to it. Anyway, when the wife heads to morrisons with two youngsters, I don't want them trying to cross a busy car park.
I agree 100% Scott. I am exactly the same/

Darlo_Rosey

Post by Darlo_Rosey » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:41 pm

where have you had probs with parent and child bays teesside quaker? i had n arguent with a guy in morrison berwick hills the other week

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 am

Almost every major supermarket chain carpark. It's piss taking.

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Why shouldn't a disabled badge holder use a P&C bay?

There are people out there, for whom walking long distances is far more of a struggle than someone with a toddler. Sorry, but thats true. Most parents, are fit and able, most kids are in pushchairs, or able to walk under supervision. Who really needs to be closer to that door? Why should a bloke in his 80's struggle across the car park, so that someone in their late 20's can save their legs pushing a pushchair?
I don't buy the health and safety element. Part of being a parent is surely watching your kids, and teaching them road safety. And if they are in a pushchair... well the point is null. If those bays are full, do you wait for one to come free? Or do you park elsewhere and walk safely with your kids? (Across that car park that is sooooo dangerous). If people admitted that they like the bays for their convenience, rather than saying they are necessary for the safety of their children. Then I might understand.

I admit, when I have kids, I might change my attitude, and probably will. But for now, I speak my mind, and I would rather see those bays used for disabled people, than Parent & Child.

Shrews
Last edited by ShrewsX on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

Santino

Post by Santino » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:41 pm

I agree totally Shrews. Parent and child bays are fine and everything, but disabled people should have priority over them IMO.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:10 pm

I once MADE a woman reverse out of the parent/child space and give it to me because she had no kid, I had a kid, and I wanted the fooking spot. And I was within my rights, the cheeky space nabbing bint.

"But there's nowhere else to park!"

"Not my fooking problemo splitarse, go and cry to somebody else about it whilst you're circling the car park for the next 18 months looking for a parking space."

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Child_in_Time

Post by Child_in_Time » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:15 am

The 2 different kinds of bays are for different reasons and it is irrlevant comparing them.

P&C bays are not intended to be closer to the supermarket - the intention is that they are wider than normal bays so that there is space to get the kids in and out and to collapse and erect the pushchair/buggy.

Anybody who has tried to keep a 3 year old child close by while folding his buggy with a barrow full of shopping when the cars either side have parked 6 inches from your rear doors will understand.

Blue badge bays are intended to be closer to the entrance, however they are only entitled to use disabled facilities when the person for whom the badge was issued is in attendance.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Quakerz wrote:I once MADE a woman reverse out of the parent/child space and give it to me because she had no kid, I had a kid, and I wanted the fooking spot. And I was within my rights, the cheeky space nabbing bint.

"Not my fooking problemo splitarse, go and cry to somebody else about it whilst you're circling the car park for the next 18 months looking for a parking space."
This is quite simply the funniest thing I have read on the Internet all year. FACT!

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:43 pm

ShrewsX wrote:Why shouldn't a disabled badge holder use a P&C bay?

There are people out there, for whom walking long distances is far more of a struggle than someone with a toddler. Sorry, but thats true. Most parents, are fit and able, most kids are in pushchairs, or able to walk under supervision. Who really needs to be closer to that door? Why should a bloke in his 80's struggle across the car park, so that someone in their late 20's can save their legs pushing a pushchair?
I don't buy the health and safety element. Part of being a parent is surely watching your kids, and teaching them road safety. And if they are in a pushchair... well the point is null. If those bays are full, do you wait for one to come free? Or do you park elsewhere and walk safely with your kids? (Across that car park that is sooooo dangerous). If people admitted that they like the bays for their convenience, rather than saying they are necessary for the safety of their children. Then I might understand.

I admit, when I have kids, I might change my attitude, and probably will. But for now, I speak my mind, and I would rather see those bays used for disabled people, than Parent & Child.

Shrews
i can see where you are coming from, but hereth lie another bugbear. just how many of these blue badge holders need one? It is amazing some of them can manage to amble around the supermarket for over an hour, fill up a full trolley load of shopping and manage to pack them into the car unaided. Too many blue badge holders these days, they give them out far too easily. Same with motobility cars. Lets see how many people would want a mobility car if they brought back the blue three wheelers for them.

Next time you go to a supermarket just take a look and you will see what i mean. Have a look in the parent and child bays, see how many have car seats in them, see how many blue badge holders are parked in them whilst you are at it. Then watch a few of these so called disabled people head back to there cars. I am not saying that all of them are fully fit. Also why do blue badge holders think the rules of parking do not apply to them? I could go on but I must reign myself in.

Final point, yes ofcourse the parent and child bays are convenient, isn't that the point of them? It makes a trip to the supermarket less hassle when you take the kids. It is the supermarkers who decided to allocate them not me. If they brought them in then they should enforce the rules.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:10 am

TeessideQuaker wrote:
Quakerz wrote:I once MADE a woman reverse out of the parent/child space and give it to me because she had no kid, I had a kid, and I wanted the fooking spot. And I was within my rights, the cheeky space nabbing bint.

This is quite simply the funniest thing I have read on the Internet all year. FACT!
It is also 100% true. I have my red faced and embarassed wife to bear witness - if she can remember 10 years ago.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:25 am

What REALLY annoys me about Blue Badge holders, is not that they get special parking, because as I have said, I can understand the logic to it. WHat annoys me is the places where they can use ordinary bays and NOT HAVE TO PAY.

Why? Seriously. They are occupying a space, same as everyone else. But while I am paying £1-60 an hour, they don't even pay a concessionary rate? How does that work? Ok so I can understand that it saves them a journey to and from the payment machine, but why can't they get a pre-pay card or something?

And as Uncovrered said, it is FAR too easy to get a disabled badge.

Shrews

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 pm

'A disabled man has been arrested for 'drink-driving' while giving a lift home to his friend on the back of his MOBILTY SCOOTER. Nigel Lee Drummond was caught on CCTV cameras careering through Darlington at speeds of 8mph with a pal on the back. The 37-year-old, who walks with the help of crutches but uses the scooter for long distances, was three times over the limit when police finally caught up with him following a night out in the Route 66 bar...

'Footage captured by camera operators shows Drummond and his friend struggling to get on the scooter as they leave the club. After rummaging in his pocket for his keys, the pair get on board and set off, swerving quickly into the road and narrowly missing a group of revellers going into the club. The scooter then draws up to the kerb as the men start to chat with a group of women. They appear to offer them a lift, but move on again when their advances are rebuffed. The scooter then disappears into an underpass, before it emerges in a nearby street, as Drummond swerves across the middle of the road to avoid speed bumps' - The Sun.

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:25 pm

aveda wrote:'A disabled man has been arrested for 'drink-driving' while giving a lift home to his friend on the back of his MOBILTY SCOOTER. Nigel Lee Drummond was caught on CCTV cameras careering through Darlington at speeds of 8mph with a pal on the back. The 37-year-old, who walks with the help of crutches but uses the scooter for long distances, was three times over the limit when police finally caught up with him following a night out in the Route 66 bar...

'Footage captured by camera operators shows Drummond and his friend struggling to get on the scooter as they leave the club. After rummaging in his pocket for his keys, the pair get on board and set off, swerving quickly into the road and narrowly missing a group of revellers going into the club. The scooter then draws up to the kerb as the men start to chat with a group of women. They appear to offer them a lift, but move on again when their advances are rebuffed. The scooter then disappears into an underpass, before it emerges in a nearby street, as Drummond swerves across the middle of the road to avoid speed bumps' - The Sun.
That made me smile!

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:53 pm

you can see the video at the echo website

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4 ... _too_many/