The world cup

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Seventynine
Team Supported: Darlington

The world cup

Post by Seventynine » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:01 pm

been a good few games so far , i dont rate any of the favourites so far , Spain are ramos ego controlled and they are poor , iniesta needs to get a retirement home and quick..cant fault the missrible git costa tho , good goals , but then that ponce hit a free kick ...they got the wall all wrong , if you look again ramos should have been on the end of the wall to head it away as hes the tallest , but yeh he would have hit it through the middle, Portugal are nothing without the bengal lancer and so are Argentina there not happy because there are 345 cams watching them doing there sniper shots from the gantry and messi looks old and ready to hang is boots up , denmark look ok , but the rest are strogonoff

Seventynine

Re: The world cup

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:18 pm

the Mexicans sussed the hitler haircuts out straight away and dominated the game plan ..well done mexico

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:57 am

Many shocks so far, let's hope there's not another one tonight!!

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:13 am

I'm really enjoying the world cup; last night's match between Argentina and Croatia was a surprise result. I normally dislike the closed season as I'm not interested in cricket or tennis so having summer fotball to watch once every 4 years seems to make the domestic season come round sooner.
There's been plenty of great goals, incidents, shocks and surprises but the one thing I'm glad we don't have at Darlington is VAR. I'm of the opinion it spoils the flow of games and I don't care that it's supposed to corrrect wrong decisions. And having VAR officials sitting in footie kit behind their screens make me chuckle.
I'm tired of being reminded it works for rugby, but football isn't rugby and anyway I'm not interested in rugby.
I'd rather that world cup teams and managers took the rough with the smooth as we do in our league but I've spoken to lots who disagree.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am

I think the VAR is working reasonably well in the World Cup. It seems to be implemented better than it was in the FA Cup at least.

Also enjoying the games so far. Although I've managed to miss very few due to being off work, I have managed to miss the Spain-Portugal thriller and the Croatia game last night!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:49 am

I think it's been a good tournament so far, albeit low scoring. There have been decent and genuinely competitive games. Also quite a few bore-fests as well.

As for VAR, I've got no issue with it. It still needs tightening up but the use of the system is improving. Ultimately it's there to ensure the correct decisions, and that needs to be remembered. The principle behind it is a good one.

I've never understood the argument "bad decisions are part of football". It doesn't make sense - why, when you can get the correct decision with the technology, would anyone accept not using it? Technology has progressed so ultimately football should go with it.

People were against goalline technology for the same reason - "it was part of the game". But no one complains now because the technology is fine.

Tighten up VAR further, and with better communication with fans and it will fit seamlessly into the game.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:06 pm

My problem with VAR is its application. It was used in the Bundesliga last season and there were a lot of controversies, not least the penalty that was awarded after half time when the teams were already in the dressing room.
I would prefer the referee to decide whether to use it, like it appears to be in rugby and cricket rather than VAR advising the ref to review.
There are also issues with when to apply it. For example an incorrectly awarded corner that leads to a goal or a penalty. Would VAR be used for the penalty decision but not the award of the corner.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 am

What I don’t like about VAR is the now you can never quite cheer with certainty when you score a goal. The Iran non equaliser being a case in point.
The huge cheer as the ball hits the back of the net and the ref points to the centre circle is what the game is all about.
Goal line technology I can accept because it is instant but VAR interrupts the flow of the game too much for what is a reduction in errors.
In some cases I think it makes things worse, like watching a ball to hand incident in slow motion is bound to look worse than when the ref goes with his instinct.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Germany look in dire straights, as they're reduced to 10 men and only drawing 1-1 with Sweden.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Germany look in dire straights, as they're reduced to 10 men and only drawing 1-1 with Sweden.
This comment just goes to show yet again you know absolutely fuck all about football.
Sweden were chasing the ball for 75 minutes. For long spells of the second half they had no out ball and every clearance came straight back. They were dead on their feet. The extra man made no differnce other than giving them a marginally better chance of a break.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:53 pm

I usually root for the underdog, but Sweden's negative gameplan of getting 11 men behind the ball and not attacking whatsoever was terrible to watch. Losing served them right. It's tactical nonsense to limit yourselves to playing purely defensive, negative football against 10 men.

I understand teams may want to take a more defensive approach against the perceived stronger sides, but there was no ambition at all from Sweden, even at 1-1 against 10 men.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 am

As I said though it's not always easy to change when you've ran yourself into the ground for 80 minutes.
However I agree with you - I never understand why teams pull everyone back and leave no-one up front except in the last minute. It just means that any clearance comes straight back.
Talking about VAR all of the commentators here agree Boeteng's push should have been a penalty and can't understand why it wasn't given. Some also reckon it should have been a red card as well.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I usually root for the underdog, but Sweden's negative gameplan of getting 11 men behind the ball and not attacking whatsoever was terrible to watch. Losing served them right. It's tactical nonsense to limit yourselves to playing purely defensive, negative football against 10 men.

I understand teams may want to take a more defensive approach against the perceived stronger sides, but there was no ambition at all from Sweden, even at 1-1 against 10 men.

couldn't agree more , it was like fifa was on the dugout phone ....let the Germans score...they dint even try to attack or save the game and they had all the cards ...shocking sweeds..on a sour note, i had 6.0 on skybet to england :thumbdown:

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:31 pm

we need to avoid senegal and france ...then we will crack on :clap:

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:14 pm

How come this thread's in "The Off Topic Room"? Does the World Cup not qualify as football? :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:00 am

joejaques wrote:How come this thread's in "The Off Topic Room"? Does the World Cup not qualify as football? :roll:
Not Darlo related though, so should be on this MB. Gutted Germany may of avoided being knocked out of the World Cup at the group stages.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
joejaques wrote:How come this thread's in "The Off Topic Room"? Does the World Cup not qualify as football? :roll:
Not Darlo related though, so should be on this MB. Gutted Germany may of avoided being knocked out of the World Cup at the group stages.
Isn't "The Terraces" supposed to be the home of non-Darlo football? :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:59 am

joejaques wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Isn't "The Terraces" supposed to be the home of non-Darlo football? :roll:
Yep so unless you include Jordan Pickford being ex-Darlo in the World Cup discussions, this thread is probably in the right place.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 pm

It’s in off topic Pete not Terraces. So I think it’s in the wrong place. We agree that it is non-darlo but football related.

Anyway...

Germany

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 pm

That's embarrassing for the Germans and Argentina were jammy to get through as well.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Looks like the best option is to go through as runners up.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44620166

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Anyone who thinks we need to try and finish 2nd needs to have their heads looked at.

Go for a win and carry on with the momentum we’ve built up.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:25 pm

Whenever teams start trying to be clever it nearly always backfires. England made wholesale changes for their last group game two years ago and that ended in humiliation.

One game at a team and let the opposition take care of itself. England haven't won a knockout game in 12 years so talk of plotting an easier route to the latter stages is daft.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Personally I'd take Japan over Columbia even though it would likely (but who knows) mean Brazil in the quarters.

To go out to the pre-tournament favourite in the quarters having won 4 games to get there is plenty respectable. Of course, Brazil have shown they are not infallible but you've got to keep their star man, Coutinho, quiet to do so.

Beyond that, France have a very talented set of players but haven't really clicked yet and Argentina have a very soft spine. Croatia look good.

If we do finish second then I'd probably fancy us to get to the semi's but then assuming Spain get that far I wouldn't like our chances. Costa would be our undoing.

Basically - I think the semi's would be a terrific result. Quarters good and about par.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Well there we go then. Harder route to the quarters but if we get there, probably the easier route to the semi's.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:05 am

Very underwhelming match, but what do you expect when both sides put out nearly new teams. Don't think any of our players last night, did anything to change Southgate's team for Tuesday against Columbia.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 am

I thought the TV pundits were unreasonably unfair on Pickford last night (punching outwards not sideways, using the wrong hand to try and stop the Belgian goal).
I'd like to remind them that he didn't stagger backwards while the ball sailed over his head, nor did he fumble the ball and crawl after it as it crossed the line.
Instead he was up for it, in the thick of it, made some palm stinging saves, was athletic keen and instinctive; in short the right bloke for the job.
Did a good job for us as well when we played York in one of our last games at the Arena.
Now that I've seen more VAR decisions I'm not as sure as I was that it's such a bad thing. I'm not German of course.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 am

Feethams 1966 wrote:I thought the TV pundits were unreasonably unfair on Pickford last night (punching outwards not sideways, using the wrong hand to try and stop the Belgian goal).
I'd like to remind them that he didn't stagger backwards while the ball sailed over his head, nor did he fumble the ball and crawl after it as it crossed the line.
Instead he was up for it, in the thick of it, made some palm stinging saves, was athletic keen and instinctive; in short the right bloke for the job.
Did a good job for us as well when we played York in one of our last games at the Arena.
Now that I've seen more VAR decisions I'm not as sure as I was that it's such a bad thing. I'm not German of course.
I agree with them on the punching - you can't put the ball back into play like that.

Not sure what difference going with his right hand would've made for the goal - because he was diving right, his right arm was 'under' his body so he couldn't have reached high enough. It was a great finish and the only thing that would've made a difference would've been his starting position (not saying he was out of position).

Rose was more at fault for the goal for getting sucked into the middle and leaving Januzaj so much time and space to collect the pass and line-up the shot.

Overall thoughts were that nobody did themselves any harm. I thought Rose looked lively on the left and Rashford seems to offer so much more than Sterling, although perhaps Sterlings link-up play with the midfield is what keeps him in the team. Loftus-Cheek and Delph both showed themselves as having plenty to offer as well.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am

Predictions for tonight's game? I'm going to use some reverse technology, so I'm going for Colombia to win 2-0. :lol: