Democracy under threat.

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:11 am

QuakerPete wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm
DarloOnTheUp wrote:As I said, great, we're at an understanding: a trade agreement and a withdrawal agreement are two separate things.
And where the ditching of one will have a material effect on the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry but no.

First you try and dishonestly (or mistakenly) conflate the two, saying things like "we were promised a great deal in the referendum". You even posted a video previously to prove your point. However, this is simply not true as what was discussed was a trade deal, not a withdrawal agreement. If you watch back the video you posted (with Nigel Farage) then it's clear he's talking about a trade deal.

Now you've changed your tune and are instead trying to conflate them in a different way.

The trade negotiations will begin once we've left either with or without a withdrawal agreement. If you want to discuss one or the other then you'll have to discuss them on their own terms. Trying to conflate or directly link them is misleading.

quakerfan
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by quakerfan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:48 am

Let's think on this .............. where can you find people who disagree with judges ? 1. in any prison 2. Downing St.

User avatar
QuakerPete
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:34 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm
DarloOnTheUp wrote:As I said, great, we're at an understanding: a trade agreement and a withdrawal agreement are two separate things.
And where the ditching of one will have a material effect on the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry but no.

First you try and dishonestly (or mistakenly) conflate the two, saying things like "we were promised a great deal in the referendum". You even posted a video previously to prove your point. However, this is simply not true as what was discussed was a trade deal, not a withdrawal agreement. If you watch back the video you posted (with Nigel Farage) then it's clear he's talking about a trade deal.

Now you've changed your tune and are instead trying to conflate them in a different way.

The trade negotiations will begin once we've left either with or without a withdrawal agreement. If you want to discuss one or the other then you'll have to discuss them on their own terms. Trying to conflate or directly link them is misleading.
Nope, I’ve said that the WA and Trade Deal are linked - the EU say they are linked, not independent of each other.
The trade deal will not follow a No Deal as though somehow the EU will just waive the terms of the WA. The EU have consistently said that the 3 outstanding elements of the Withdrawal Agreement will still need to be settled before any trade deal is discussed, namely:
1. The balance of any monies outstanding from the £39b specified in the WA
2. Citizens Rights in the respective countries
3. The Northern Ireland Backstop
They are not going to proceed on trade before these issues are resolved satisfactorily, hence the links between the 2 elements.
The promise of “a Great Deal” stands and the mandate of No Deal is non-existent as it was not discussed or promoted until late 2018.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1.html?amp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:13 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Just been watching the debate from parliament for the last 2.75hrs or so, absolutely fascinating. I think Boris will steamroll Labour at the forthcoming election. The result will depend on how many Labour voters who voted leave, would vote for Conservative or Brexit if there is a pact between them at the election & how many Conservatives who voted remain, would vote for the Lib Dems.
Sad fact that the house of commons should now be added to your "What are you watching on TV" thread as it has become the most compulsive watching by far at this time

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:34 am
Nope, I’ve said that the WA and Trade Deal are linked - the EU say they are linked, not independent of each other.
The trade deal will not follow a No Deal as though somehow the EU will just waive the terms of the WA. The EU have consistently said that the 3 outstanding elements of the Withdrawal Agreement will still need to be settled before any trade deal is discussed, namely:
1. The balance of any monies outstanding from the £39b specified in the WA
2. Citizens Rights in the respective countries
3. The Northern Ireland Backstop
They are not going to proceed on trade before these issues are resolved satisfactorily, hence the links between the 2 elements.
The promise of “a Great Deal” stands and the mandate of No Deal is non-existent as it was not discussed or promoted until late 2018.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1.html?amp
1. EU playing hard-ball: OK in your book. UK playing hard-ball: not OK in your book. Can you not see what the EU are doing? They're threatening to walk away if we don't give them what they want. That's EXACTLY what Boris et al have been trying to do but they keep getting hamstrung by people who simply refuse to accept the 2016 result. So we end up in a catch-22 situation where we want a good deal, but we can't get a good deal because to get a good deal, we need to be genuinely willing to walk away with no deal (which Theresa May never was), but because certain people won't accept no deal (or even leaving at all), WE WILL NEVER GET A GOOD DEAL. Then they have the gall to turn around and say "look how bad this deal is, don't you really want to remain now? We told you it would be a bad deal. See, look, we told you", whilst at the same time hiding their blood-stained hands behind their backs.

This alone should be argument enough, why can you not see what's staring you right in the face?

2. Again, you're conflating issues. What was discussed during the referendum was a trade deal, not a withdrawal agreement. Hence any "promises" (as you put it) made were with regards to a trade deal. You therefore can't call these claims false until we've at least concluded the trade negotiations and fully left the EU. And of course the EU would say they won't negotiate any trade deal before those issues have been resolved: that's called clever negotiation tactics. If only we had a similar ace up our sleeves... Oh wait, we do.

3. There was more to the Leave vote than economics, and more to the economics than a deal with the EU. If the EU was nothing more than a trading bloc then this would be a different debate altogether.

4. The possibility of no deal (trade or otherwise) was public knowledge during the referendum, and WAS mentioned (I've already provided evidence). Also, if No Deal is on the table, which it must be to get a good deal, then it's always a possibility. Your claim that somehow people didn't know about or understand it is a rehash of "Leave voters didn't know what they voted for/were too thick to fully understand/were brainwashed into voting a certain way". But it's nothing more than guesswork. We voted to Leave, that's it. The information was there, so to claim one side or the other didn't have all the information is, as I said, guesswork. You could quite as easily say the same about Remain and all their Project Fear nonsense (being at the back of the queue in a deal with the US, anyone?)

Leave won the referendum in 2016, Theresa May was then voted in under the premise of "no deal is better than a bad deal", and the Brexit Party won considerably more MEP seats than any other party in the EU elections. Don't try and tell me people didn't know what they were voting for when that's 3 times (4 if you include David Cameron's initial promise of a referendum) that people have voted in favour of Brexit.

I love as well how Remainers say things like "well if you just change this, and change that, and throw that in, then wow, as if by magic, Leave didn't really win in 2016 afterall! How did that happen?"

5. Extending to stop No Deal was not mandated either, yet a general election is being refused until an extension is forced through, so you can shut your trap about bloody mandates, especially when what WAS mandated is to leave the EU.

The PM offered to hold a general election but no, democracy is only important when it suits your agenda.

Vokuhila
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:09 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:46 pm
I have not in my working life from the mid 60's to 2012 when I retired found one German I would like to go for a drink with.
I'm sure if Jürgen Klopp called and asked if you fancied sinking a couple of pilsners with him, you probably wouldn't say no.

Seriously though, it's obvious that your anti-German feelings run deep and there's more to the reasons behind them than meets the eye. As a person of a certain age I can't imagine they'll change much now either, but there'll always be people like Carl von Ossietzky and Sophie Scholl to prove you wrong. Incidentally, I'm reading A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke at the moment - no one could ever accuse him of being arrogant.

Anyways, back to Brexit...
Image

User avatar
QuakerPete
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:38 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:34 am
Nope, I’ve said that the WA and Trade Deal are linked - the EU say they are linked, not independent of each other.
The trade deal will not follow a No Deal as though somehow the EU will just waive the terms of the WA. The EU have consistently said that the 3 outstanding elements of the Withdrawal Agreement will still need to be settled before any trade deal is discussed, namely:
1. The balance of any monies outstanding from the £39b specified in the WA
2. Citizens Rights in the respective countries
3. The Northern Ireland Backstop
They are not going to proceed on trade before these issues are resolved satisfactorily, hence the links between the 2 elements.
The promise of “a Great Deal” stands and the mandate of No Deal is non-existent as it was not discussed or promoted until late 2018.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1.html?amp
1. EU playing hard-ball: OK in your book. UK playing hard-ball: not OK in your book. Can you not see what the EU are doing? They're threatening to walk away if we don't give them what they want. That's EXACTLY what Boris et al have been trying to do but they keep getting hamstrung by people who simply refuse to accept the 2016 result. So we end up in a catch-22 situation where we want a good deal, but we can't get a good deal because to get a good deal, we need to be genuinely willing to walk away with no deal (which Theresa May never was), but because certain people won't accept no deal (or even leaving at all), WE WILL NEVER GET A GOOD DEAL. Then they have the gall to turn around and say "look how bad this deal is, don't you really want to remain now? We told you it would be a bad deal. See, look, we told you", whilst at the same time hiding their blood-stained hands behind their backs.

This alone should be argument enough, why can you not see what's staring you right in the face?

2. Again, you're conflating issues. What was discussed during the referendum was a trade deal, not a withdrawal agreement. Hence any "promises" (as you put it) made were with regards to a trade deal. You therefore can't call these claims false until we've at least concluded the trade negotiations and fully left the EU. And of course the EU would say they won't negotiate any trade deal before those issues have been resolved: that's called clever negotiation tactics. If only we had a similar ace up our sleeves... Oh wait, we do.

3. There was more to the Leave vote than economics, and more to the economics than a deal with the EU. If the EU was nothing more than a trading bloc then this would be a different debate altogether.

4. The possibility of no deal (trade or otherwise) was public knowledge during the referendum, and WAS mentioned (I've already provided evidence). Also, if No Deal is on the table, which it must be to get a good deal, then it's always a possibility. Your claim that somehow people didn't know about or understand it is a rehash of "Leave voters didn't know what they voted for/were too thick to fully understand/were brainwashed into voting a certain way". But it's nothing more than guesswork. We voted to Leave, that's it. The information was there, so to claim one side or the other didn't have all the information is, as I said, guesswork. You could quite as easily say the same about Remain and all their Project Fear nonsense (being at the back of the queue in a deal with the US, anyone?)

Leave won the referendum in 2016, Theresa May was then voted in under the premise of "no deal is better than a bad deal", and the Brexit Party won considerably more MEP seats than any other party in the EU elections. Don't try and tell me people didn't know what they were voting for when that's 3 times (4 if you include David Cameron's initial promise of a referendum) that people have voted in favour of Brexit.

I love as well how Remainers say things like "well if you just change this, and change that, and throw that in, then wow, as if by magic, Leave didn't really win in 2016 afterall! How did that happen?"

5. Extending to stop No Deal was not mandated either, yet a general election is being refused until an extension is forced through, so you can shut your trap about bloody mandates, especially when what WAS mandated is to leave the EU.

The PM offered to hold a general election but no, democracy is only important when it suits your agenda.
1. We hold all the cards? Or maybe the hand the UK held was always just a pair of 2s! Fancy the EU wanting the best terms for its remaining members, this mutually beneficial club idea will never catch on! And it’s still everyone else’s fault, I see, rather than that of the charlatans who proposed Brexit without any idea of a plan, which still holds true today.
I do see your desperation staring me right in the face
DEFINE A ‘GOOD DEAL’ PLEASE!!!

2. I can 100% guarantee you this with the trade negotiations, the UK will not get as good a deal or even better trading deal with the EU as it has now, whether it be through WTO terms or a trade deal later on. It’s that not-being-part-of-a-club-anymore so not having the full benefits of membership . I wouldn’t call that a “good deal”, it would be a Worse Deal to put it into its proper context. That’s not to say we won’t get a deal of sorts at some point.

3. Agree, there was more to the Leave vote than just economics . . . for some people

4. Now, you’re just destroying any credibility you had by making things up which I never said. I didn’t say people didn’t understand No Deal, I said it wasn’t in the mainstream public domain at the time of the 2016 referendum, as indicated by this Google Trends graph, the spike in interest came around late 2018 when various Leave individuals and organisations introduced it
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201909 ... f64ac7.jpg[/IMG]
People can hardly vote for No Deal when May mentioned it *after* the referendum - no mandate!
Research the d’Hondt method of PR for the EU elections which heavily favours a single issue party (private and undemocratic company). The combined Remain vote did rather well and translates into a good number of seats. Isn’t Nige, sole member of the Brexit Party Ltd, buggering off to the USA after Brexit?
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201909 ... 5e8e02.jpg[/IMG]

5. “Shut your trap”? I really do feel your angst now.
“The PM offered to hold a general election but no, democracy is only important when it suits your agenda.” That’s a real cracker to finish off with - welcome to the real world of politics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12190
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 am

Looks like European Law is going to be used to negate British Law. Good old Europe coming to the defence of Brexit.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Democracy under threat.

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:32 am

The H’Dondt graph is massively flawed, to the point it makes it massively irrelevant.

Firstly, it splits the Leave vote, but keeps Remain as a single entity. And there are varying forms of “Remain”.

Jo Swinson’s Lib Dems have ensured that with their stance of revoking Article 50 under all circumstances. There’s also the Labour Remain view which is to campaign for another referendum, campaigning to Remain but accepting Leave if it wins.

Those are indisputably different forms of Remain yet that graph doesn’t reflect it. In this context, Remain only receiving 40% is actually a poor performance, while 35% for one specific Brexit position is fairly strong.

Secondly, it doesn’t explicitly have the Conservatives as being pro-Brexit, which is ludicrous and crushes the graph’s relevance. Yes there are Conservative members whose preference is to Remain, but the stated policy of the party is to leave the EU. It’s literally tried to do that for three years.

Bundling the Conservatives up with Labour, who are not an explicit pro-Brexit party (they’re not explicitly pro-anything really) is therefore deeply flawed. Labour’s position at the Euro Elections was a “soft” Brexit (customs union membership, single market access etc), before it shifted to its current “Negotiate a deal then have another referendum” policy.

And seemingly the only explicit pro-Brexit position, according to that graph, is hard (presumably no-deal) Brexit. Brexit gets one specific position in that graph, while Remain is under one all-encompassing umbrella. Hardly seems representative.

The graph also treats single nation parties (SNP, Plaid Cymru etc) the same as pan-UK parties, which comes with its own flaws. Especially as Northern Ireland parties (such as the pro-Brexit DUP have been ignored completely). Why do some single nation parties get included, but others do not? Makes no sense.

The D’Hondt graph also assumes voters are only voting on the issue of Brexit, which is not necessarily the case. Some voters could well just want to punish poor domestic performance of Labour and the Conservatives, so gave them a kicking at the Euro Elections.

No wonder it appears as though Remain did well, given the producers of the graph have fiddled the figures. If I put Leave altogether, then split Remain into Revoke and Additional Referendum, I could fiddle the figures to make it look overwhelmingly in favour of Leave.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:51 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:09 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:46 pm
I have not in my working life from the mid 60's to 2012 when I retired found one German I would like to go for a drink with.
I'm sure if Jürgen Klopp called and asked if you fancied sinking a couple of pilsners with him, you probably wouldn't say no.

Seriously though, it's obvious that your anti-German feelings run deep and there's more to the reasons behind them than meets the eye. As a person of a certain age I can't imagine they'll change much now either, but there'll always be people like Carl von Ossietzky and Sophie Scholl to prove you wrong. Incidentally, I'm reading A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke at the moment - no one could ever accuse him of being arrogant.

Anyways, back to Brexit...
My daughter would jump at the chance as she is a Liverpool fan, but as the only Prem league club I am interested in are WHU I would not go out of my way to meet Klopp. That said, he does come across as the exception to the rule.
Peoples opinions are built over life's experience. Mine having dealt with them virtually all my life is I just don't like them. The sadness is that people won't just accept that and keep pushing and digging and in the end annoyance pushes you to use stronger words than you actually want to do in anger at being pushed. I would add before it all becomes about WW2 alone, I get on fine with both Japanese and Italians.

I have said for many years, Germany lost 2 world wars with bullets but they are winning the 3rd with money and words. I am NOT a Euro hater.(my working life proves that beyond any doubt), I detest the idea I should stand and salute a flag I do not believe in and an "anthem" that belittles the country I love.
I wonder how many out there having a go at me can actually sing the entire national anthem. Most countries sing their's in entirety. Why do we only sing 1/3rd of ours?

lo36789
Posts: 8219
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:04 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:51 am
I wonder how many out there having a go at me can actually sing the entire national anthem. Most countries sing their's in entirety. Why do we only sing 1/3rd of ours?
Who cares?

What is a country ultimately if not a man made concept and claim of possession on the worlds resources. It just creates a division based purely on geographical co-ordinates of where you were born / live.

Biologically I am no more identical to my next door neighbour than someone in eastern Russia, everything else is taught.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Democracy under threat.

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:18 am

Also our national anthem is terrible and unrepresentative anyway. A religious affirmation of loyalty to our monarch, who’s in position by accident of birth. I’m not a fan of it or what it represents.

But I think a debate about republicanism is a stretch too far in this thread.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

joejaques
Posts: 2686
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by joejaques » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:16 am

On the subject of the so called National Anthem. How come the Scots and Welsh get to ignore it & use their own versions? :roll:
Image

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Not saying I particularly like our national anthem. In fact it is as Billy Connoley said, "A bit of a dirge". Simply pointing out the watering down of our national identity.

It becomes more and more obvious some are not as bothered about our individual national identity as others. I find that very sad and would look forward to an English anthem much as the Scots and Welsh have.

I have asked a number of times now with no answer. Has anyone got any idea at all how we are going to draw the country back together again? Me thinks it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Very worrying when people have started threatening MP's as reported yesterday evening.(By attack I mean both verbal as well as physical)

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:43 pm

Was checking out some music on You Tube and this came up on the right hand side so I took a butchers.
Thought, Good Lord, someone speaking some sense.
Then, after it finished, I noticed the date of the video.
So sad that nothing has changed in the interim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-U4esR0fq0

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:25 pm

I was told on 1 of these threads that I was wrong when I said the German economy was in trouble and was being propped up by the money they steal from other countries because the German economy was fine !!!!!!

So fine in fact

Is this up to date enough?

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/ ... QbXP74KJLg

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:10 pm


EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 am

Spoken some time ago, but this guy is now so entrenched with cronies all round.
Can any of you say that had you had the chance to vote, this is what you would have voted for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIV7wrB ... jMdIWRkqgk

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:38 am


Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12190
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Hopefully MP's will now back democracy & support Boris's new brexit deal. Wonder if Jenny Chapman will support the agreement & save her seat or will she stand side by side with Jeremy & lose her seat before the end of the year?

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:23 pm
Hopefully MP's will now back democracy & support Boris's new brexit deal. Wonder if Jenny Chapman will support the agreement & save her seat or will she stand side by side with Jeremy & lose her seat before the end of the year?
From what I am hearing early I hope this deal fails yet again.

More and more, no deal is the only deal.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 am

Don’t understand the logic of going for no-deal. You’re still going to have to resolve key issues, such as the Northern Ireland border, customs and so on in any future trading deal with the EU.

It’s misleading to pretend no-deal is a silver bullet. It merely kicks the can down the road and you still on Brexit Day would have to have some sort of procedure for dealing with the Northern Ireland border issue. Come no-deal on November 1st, how would trade from the EU to the UK via Northern Ireland work? WTO terms? Well that’s going to be extremely problematic given the additional tariffs etc that would need to be paid. I’ve never seen an answer to that from no-dealers.

Moreover, with the current parliamentary arithmetic, I don’t see how no-deal will happen. If the deal is rejected, Boris would then, legally, have to apply for an extension. And even if he sent an additional note saying “I’m legally obliged to ask for an extension, but actually I’m recommending EU states reject this request”, Parliament will still vote against no-deal. It’s the one thing MPs have agreed on.

To change that arithmetic, you’d need a General Election. But Boris will now campaign on his deal, as oppose to no-deal. Labour of course won’t countenance no-deal. The only party who may campaign for no-deal is the Brexit Party, but our electoral system means they won’t be the governing party.

My own view is I hope the deal gets passed. It’s not perfect but then it never could be, particularly on the issue of Northern Ireland. The honest truth is that from a Leave point of view, there’s no particularly good solution to that, until a permanent future trading relationship between the UK and EU can be negotiated.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 am
Don’t understand the logic of going for no-deal. You’re still going to have to resolve key issues, such as the Northern Ireland border, customs and so on in any future trading deal with the EU.

It’s misleading to pretend no-deal is a silver bullet. It merely kicks the can down the road and you still on Brexit Day would have to have some sort of procedure for dealing with the Northern Ireland border issue. Come no-deal on November 1st, how would trade from the EU to the UK via Northern Ireland work? WTO terms? Well that’s going to be extremely problematic given the additional tariffs etc that would need to be paid. I’ve never seen an answer to that from no-dealers.

Moreover, with the current parliamentary arithmetic, I don’t see how no-deal will happen. If the deal is rejected, Boris would then, legally, have to apply for an extension. And even if he sent an additional note saying “I’m legally obliged to ask for an extension, but actually I’m recommending EU states reject this request”, Parliament will still vote against no-deal. It’s the one thing MPs have agreed on.

To change that arithmetic, you’d need a General Election. But Boris will now campaign on his deal, as oppose to no-deal. Labour of course won’t countenance no-deal. The only party who may campaign for no-deal is the Brexit Party, but our electoral system means they won’t be the governing party.

My own view is I hope the deal gets passed. It’s not perfect but then it never could be, particularly on the issue of Northern Ireland. The honest truth is that from a Leave point of view, there’s no particularly good solution to that, until a permanent future trading relationship between the UK and EU can be negotiated.

Nice that you have decided to debate rather than dismiss for once. An improvement at least. (Maybe some MP's can take note).

I have said before, no deal was not my prefered outcome, and I am finding it quite funny about this second letter he may send. As soon as the Benn law was passed I actually posted elsewhere on 27th September


"OK, no deal.
Benn's law says BJ has to write and ask for an extension. (Can the letter get lost in the post)?
No deal, BJ writes letter and it gets there in time.

"Hey tossers, we are leaving, but need another extension to sort it out as some areholes like yourselves decided to try to tie us up in legal tape to stop a majority decision to LEAVE.

Now by law I have to ask for an extension so can we have the minimum time please. 1 second will do, and no, we are NOT giving you an extra billion quid, in fact, we are giving you sod all more even if you extend for a year.
Further, not only are we not giving you another Billion for an extension we are paying over sod all more money until we are out.
Once we are out we will discuss any payments due to the EU because of our decision to leave.
Ps, don't hold your breath because we ain't paying them either..

Now, how about the extension please"?

That was my immediate sarcastic response, which may give you an idea that I do (at times), "Lighten up" as you have suggested previously.

Back on subject, I now say no deal is the best deal simply because BJ and the crew have been tied up so tight by the stupidity of the Benn law. I did not, do not, and never will understand why people took away our strongest cards before the game even got serious. (If you hold 4 aces why throw them away? and take a lesser hand)? Not saying it should have been used at that point, but at least the threat would have drawn them to the table seriously.

All the posturing about the "backstop" is nothing more than a smokescreen and another way of being both divisive and passing the blame. As far as I am aware, Switzerland has 4 borders with EU countries, but also as far as I am aware, they have a grand total of .... 0 "HARD" borders, proof enough I think to prove they are not a necessity.
I actually watched a program just last night about the Euro tunnel,(about trainee train drivers), and it showed just how easy it will be for the EU to cause problems if they wish. The French authorities had a 100% passport check day and everything did get clogged. If they wish to do that then yes things can get a bit tight for a while, but the biggest problem we will face in the shops is panic buying, which will NOT be because of any shortage,(though it will cause 1), but because people believe the whole thing will clog up thus actually they will cause such to happen. Thankfully, with controlled meds bulk buying can't happen, so, as we were told they have plans to fly med's in they should NOT be a problem.

On the "problem" of us leaving and the numbers in parliament not stacking up I think a large number of MP's have made the same mistake that YOU have. As things stand at the moment, if we get to the 31st and there is no deal it is not up to our MP's if we leave or not. We have invoked article 50. Unless we revoke that pre 31st October,(do you think BJ is going to do that)? then unless the EU do offer an extension WE ARE OUT..
Late yesterday, (6,30pm national news report) Junker has said that if there is no deal there will be NO extension under any circumstances.
Our MP's have 1 last chance to have any further input on what happens at the end of the month. They either accept the deal as brought back this week, or they become impotent.

I am not saying I particularly like that but what I am sure of is this,
Nigel Farage ran UKIP as a party who wanted rid of the EU and it was a relatively small party. Once we had the referendum and got the leave vote he and others thought the job was done and stepped back. UKIP was then taken over by Robinson and his cronies. (Having voted either Tory or Liberal all my life the last 2 elections I did vote UKIP)
THAT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE FARAGE HAS EVER MADE. He trusted the government to act to the word they gave to keep to the result of the democratic vote.
When new EU elections were called the so called "Brexit" party went from being non existent to the largest single party of any country in the EU IN 6 (SIX) WEEKS !!!!!!!! That simple fact tells you that a lot of people feel the way I do, and I bet this, if we do not get out of the EU on 31st we will soon after have a general election. The Brexit party will not go away, and if not the largest party they will certainly hold sway over what goes on and any party larger will have no option but to work with the Brexit party.


Believe it or not pops, while we may differ in opinion it is far better we sit and discuss our differences rather than to try mud slinging.
I am still not prepared to give my full reasons for wanting to leave, but they are far from solely based on personal dislike and bias of Germans.

Our parliament voted some time ago to allow Scotland to have their own "government" on Scottish matters. This was followed up by allowing the Welsh assembly to take over governing much to do with Wales. Part of me asks, why England have not got a similar assembly as the Scots and Welsh have to look after purely English matters?
It makes no sense to me that people who thought it best to have Scotland and Wales run their own business as they know best what is required by those countries, yet those same people think it best to allow England's best interests to be allowed to be ruled by the likes of Germany, France etc.
Please tell me how those 2 lines of thinking are compatible?

User avatar
OHDFC
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by OHDFC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:15 pm

If you think Switzerland has no hard borders with the EU, please take a goods vehicle from Stuttgart to Zurich (or vice versa) via the Thayngen border crossing and then tell me there are no hard borders berween Switzerland and the EU.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk


User avatar
QuakerPete
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:22 pm

OHDFC wrote:If you think Switzerland has no hard borders with the EU, please take a goods vehicle from Stuttgart to Zurich (or vice versa) via the Thayngen border crossing and then tell me there are no hard borders berween Switzerland and the EU.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I despair of people sometimes, the number of times Switzerland had been used as an example of no borders with the EU.
They have customs for all goods; they’re also members of Schengen which allows free movement of people. You’d think someone pontificating about all and sundry would know this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shildonlad
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by shildonlad » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 am
Don’t understand the logic of going for no-deal. You’re still going to have to resolve key issues, such as the Northern Ireland border, customs and so on in any future trading deal with the EU.

It’s misleading to pretend no-deal is a silver bullet. It merely kicks the can down the road and you still on Brexit Day would have to have some sort of procedure for dealing with the Northern Ireland border issue. Come no-deal on November 1st, how would trade from the EU to the UK via Northern Ireland work? WTO terms? Well that’s going to be extremely problematic given the additional tariffs etc that would need to be paid. I’ve never seen an answer to that from no-dealers.

Moreover, with the current parliamentary arithmetic, I don’t see how no-deal will happen. If the deal is rejected, Boris would then, legally, have to apply for an extension. And even if he sent an additional note saying “I’m legally obliged to ask for an extension, but actually I’m recommending EU states reject this request”, Parliament will still vote against no-deal. It’s the one thing MPs have agreed on.

To change that arithmetic, you’d need a General Election. But Boris will now campaign on his deal, as oppose to no-deal. Labour of course won’t countenance no-deal. The only party who may campaign for no-deal is the Brexit Party, but our electoral system means they won’t be the governing party.

My own view is I hope the deal gets passed. It’s not perfect but then it never could be, particularly on the issue of Northern Ireland. The honest truth is that from a Leave point of view, there’s no particularly good solution to that, until a permanent future trading relationship between the UK and EU can be negotiated.
And that post sums it up spot on. Just what the hell does that dyke from the dup hope to achieve! A no deal would leave a harder border and a whole host of problems. Also i whish that scruffy kunt corbyn and the lib dem leader would fook off with the 2nd referendum, pie in the sky. Im not a borris johnson fan but let the bloke get on with it and work towards ending the eu farce. Even the eu are all behind him! Apologies for swearing cross with the other leaders ruining our futures for there own gains, like petty playground squabbles
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:22 pm
OHDFC wrote:If you think Switzerland has no hard borders with the EU, please take a goods vehicle from Stuttgart to Zurich (or vice versa) via the Thayngen border crossing and then tell me there are no hard borders berween Switzerland and the EU.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I despair of people sometimes, the number of times Switzerland had been used as an example of no borders with the EU.
They have customs for all goods; they’re also members of Schengen which allows free movement of people. You’d think someone pontificating about all and sundry would know this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I am aware the Schengen deals only with passports not goods so not sure how it can be used as an argument re'goods/hard borders.

Not being an HGV driver not really an option. I have however driven smaller vans through France and via Switzerland into Italy when going to Milan with no problem, indeed, I have had far harder and taken far longer to pass customs when going through Croatia to Bosnia and into Serbia or Montenegro.
I will admit, that was pre 2012 so no idea what it is like now.

User avatar
QuakerPete
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:39 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 pm
QuakerPete wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:22 pm
OHDFC wrote:If you think Switzerland has no hard borders with the EU, please take a goods vehicle from Stuttgart to Zurich (or vice versa) via the Thayngen border crossing and then tell me there are no hard borders berween Switzerland and the EU.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I despair of people sometimes, the number of times Switzerland had been used as an example of no borders with the EU.
They have customs for all goods; they’re also members of Schengen which allows free movement of people. You’d think someone pontificating about all and sundry would know this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I am aware the Schengen deals only with passports not goods so not sure how it can be used as an argument re'goods/hard borders.

Not being an HGV driver not really an option. I have however driven smaller vans through France and via Switzerland into Italy when going to Milan with no problem, indeed, I have had far harder and taken far longer to pass customs when going through Croatia to Bosnia and into Serbia or Montenegro.
I will admit, that was pre 2012 so no idea what it is like now.
I've already stated that Switzerland is a member of Schengen which allows free movement of people only, whereas the UK has always had an opt-out from Schengen. However, Switzerland has hard borders for the movement of goods and the queues are considerable (from a haulier who regularly travels there) and they are kilometres long at times - and it's nothing to do with the French or any other nationality being awkward.
I would imagine your passage via Switzerland was as a non-Schengen EU citizen.

User avatar
OHDFC
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by OHDFC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 pm

I used to live in Thayngen and used to see the queues regularly almost every weekend. There is a goods vehicle lane on the motorway for the last few km to the border post that is sometimes full of waiting lorries. Even the country lanes usually have a customs house and spot checks.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk


EDJOHNS
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Democracy under threat.

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:03 pm

OHDFC wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 pm
I used to live in Thayngen and used to see the queues regularly almost every weekend. There is a goods vehicle lane on the motorway for the last few km to the border post that is sometimes full of waiting lorries. Even the country lanes usually have a customs house and spot checks.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I bow to your superior knowledge, though I did get a bit of a laugh because many times I have traveled down through Kent and seen the motorways used as a carpark for the lorries waiting to get to France..
I do wonder, though not in any way questioning you why I was never once searched on my trips through.
Not even knowing where Thayngen was I just did a Google map search to find it. Honest question and not to cause argument, I see it is far further East than I used to cross, (near Basel, or less frequently taking me into lausanne). Could that be the reason?

Post Reply