General Election 2019

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: General Election 2019

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:04 am

They are predicting that Sedgefield my constituency will be turning blue, wonder what Tony Blair thinks about that?

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:04 am
They are predicting that Sedgefield my constituency will be turning blue, wonder what Tony Blair thinks about that?
After Tony Blair, it's only turning from Man City Blue to Chelsea Blue :roll:

Bye Jenny :roll:

Henley

Post by Henley » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:36 am

Darlo is Conservative again.

Yes, yes, fucking yes 💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:42 am

The scale of the victory goes well beyond Darlington in the north east. Sedgefield that Blair built up a 25k majority turns conservative, other seats Redcar, Stockton Sth, Stockton Nth, Bishop Auckland, Blyth Valley & even NW Durham. This is all a seismic change in NE politics.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:08 am

Massive results labour need a complete shake if they are ever to be in power again.

The next 5 years will be telling I still don't think Brexit will fix everything as desired. I don't think it will fix public services for those who depended on them as promised it would.

In 5 years when they are still underfunded and inequality is even more apparent as a result there should be opportunity - but it will need to be a centre left party who don't have the same reputation for being anti-business etc.

I don't actually know how labour can appeal in Scotland again. Speaking to a number of people who live up there on Wednesday the options are Tory or SNP so they have to go SNP but not because they want another referendum but more because it is not the Tories and actually they give Scotland a sizeable voice in Westminster.

I don't think labour can ever break that they have to rely on a coalition which would mean a devolution heavy manifesto - not quite independence but pretty darn close to it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:14 am

What a clever company Ipsos Mori are, getting it more or less spot on with there exit poll yet again. It's getting to the stage that when the polls close & the exit poll is announced, that you may as well go to bed, because the result of the general election is how the exit poll will have predicted.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:24 am

Oh Jeremy Corbyn!

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:33 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:44 pm
Henley wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:52 pm
I’ll still be depressed about the number of people who voted for Corbyn.
Agreed.
It was always going to be a little bit depressing whatever the result - I can't remember there ever being a pair of candidates in my lifetime less fit to lead the country than Boris and Jezza.

P.S. I realise I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm sad to see Jenny go.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:38 am

Good riddance to Chapman, she was just so weak, she has paid the price for not respecting the Brexit vote of her constituents & sucking up to Corbyn

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am

Agreed it is disappointing for Jenny but if you ignore the views of your electorate as she did over Brexit then they will punish you.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:38 am
Good riddance to Chapman, she was just so weak, she has paid the price for not respecting the Brexit vote of her constituents & sucking up to Corbyn
A little less gloating and a bit more humility might be a good idea Pete. Remember what goes around comes around. Ever wondered why so many people find you so irritating?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 am

Though I deliberately spoiled my paper because I simply could not vote for any of the 4 on offer to me I am delighted with the overall result.

Here is a happy prediction, within 12 months, Portugal, Spain and Italy, with possibly Ireland and France will all have left the Union and within 5 years it will be dead and buried.

Much like the Berlin wall that people did not think would ever crumble I can now die happy in the knowledge that the totally dishonest monstrosity that is the European Union in on its deathbed.

Thank you everyone who was fed up with the bungling in Parliament and sent a very simple and very strong message to get it over and done with.

I am actually not over bothered about the "terms" we work out because I honestly believe they will be very short lived anyway.

The Commonwealth will all wake up happy today.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:16 am

Old Git wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
A little less gloating and a bit more humility might be a good idea Pete. Remember what goes around comes around. Ever wondered why so many people find you so irritating?
Life would be boring if we all agreed with each other. I wear my heart on my sleeve, always have & always will. Hopefully people will be pleased with how things developed last night. Sorry I've never had time for Chapman, she always seemed to take an interest in things, if she thought there were votes in it for her. No doubt sometime in the future tables will be turned & I will have no problem with people that will take pleasure at the demise of the Conservative government, as you say 'what goes around comes around'.

Love him or hate him, Boris's final sentence in his celebration speech, 'first let's get breakfast done', was very funny & clever.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:17 am

Interesting times ahead as Brexit continues to reshape our political landscape. I think it's pretty clear that the London-heavy leadership of the Labour party got carried away with the overwhelmingly anti-Brexit feeling of London and the Labour members, leading to the traditional Labour voters in the North feeling ignored.

Having said that, there's a particularly interesting decision ahead for Labour - was this defeat all about Brexit, or was it also a rejection of Corbynism? Will they elect someone just as left-wing (although presumably without the baggage Corbyn had, which will obviously improve things for them), or will they end up with someone who will movethem a little closer to the centre ground. For what it's worth, I do hope its the latter, as the country needs a strong, electable, opposition, and I'm not sure a radical left-wing party has the nationwide appeal to win a majority.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:18 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:16 am
she always seemed to take an interest in things, if she thought there were votes in it for her.
What you've done there is describe a politician

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:24 am

I think the Labour defeat was down to 3 things. The rejection of the parties stance on Brexit. People did not like the idea of Corbyn being prime minister. Finally, the totally unrealistic spending plans of Labour. I agree there should always be a strong opposition. Labour will either move to the centre or remain where they are. The worrying thing for Labour is that a lot of their grass root supporters are strongly behind Corbyn's brand of politics & if they appoint a leader that favours these ideas, the Labour party could fracture, which could lead to the Conservatives holding the balance of power for years to come.
Last edited by Darlo_Pete on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:26 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:24 am
I think the Labour defeat was down to 3 things. The rejection of the parties stance on Brexit. People did not like the idea of Corbyn being prime minister. Finally, the totally unrealistic spending plans of Labour. I agree there should always be a strong opposition. Labour will either move to the centre or remain where they are. The worrying thing for Labour is that a lot of their grass root supporters are strongly behind Corbyn's brand of politics & if they appoint a leader that favours these ideas, the Labour party could fracture, which could lead to the Conservatives holding the balance of power for years to come.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:36 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:24 am
The worrying thing for Labour is that a lot of their grass root supporters are strongly behind Corbyn's brand of politics & if they appoint a leader that favours these ideas, the Labour party could fracture, which could lead to the Conservatives holding the balance of power for years to come.
Yes I agree - the early signs from the Corbynistas - who hold a lot of power in the Labour party at the moment - are that it is business as usual and the result was all down to Brexit. Momentum have put out a press release saying basically this, the usual Corbynistas have been on TV saying this. Now, they may well be right, but if they are wrong I fear for the Labour party, and consequently the country, as without a strong, electable, Labour party, we only have 1 party of government, which is not healthy for a democracy regardless of where one sits on the political spectrum.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I'm so over Brexit at the moment, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Peter Gibson's starting with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned, but I do think Jenny was a very good local MP, so he's got quite a lot to live up to.

As for "sucking up" to Jezza, I don't know how much she actually did or didn't do, but it clearly didn't work if she did as he completely hung her and the rest of his North East MPs out to dry during the campaign.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:00 am

She didn't back Corbyn when they were having the Labour leadership contest, but when Corbyn won, she changed her loyalties & sucked up to him. Bad move on her part & she's paid the price.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am

Watched the BBC coverage throughout the night, which I thought was brilliant & Huw Edwards in particular was fantastic. :clap:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am

Another problem for Labour going forward, is that there is an indication that Johnson will move his party towards the centre ground.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am
Another problem for Labour going forward, is that there is an indication that Johnson will move his party towards the centre ground.
Let’s hope so because the country needs bringing together.I voted Conservative for the first time ever yesterday and will make my decision at the next election based on what they can achieve in the next five years. If Labour can become more electable and have sensible policies and a more acceptable leader I may return to the fold.The old party allegiances are becoming less strong and the electorate more fluid.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am
Watched the BBC coverage throughout the night, which I thought was brilliant & Huw Edwards in particular was fantastic. :clap:
Pete, I feel you treat politics like it's a sport - personally I feel that until we have an electable opposition party, with a presentable leader and sensible, achievable ideas we are in a bad place. I suppose at least we have a government that can actually govern now.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:11 pm

It's interesting that people say Jeremy Corbin is unelectible. Why is that, when you consider that a racist sexist liar has just been elected (according to comments he's said or written and promises he's broken)?
That said, Johnson is clearly a very skillful political operator and it may be that he was only saying what his audience wanted to hear when he made these statements and also some of his more forceful recent behaviour.

As people may have gathered, I'm not a Tory or Johnson supporter. I believe that one of the richest countries in the world should not accept children living in poverty, should not require food banks to feed their population and should not have people sleeping rough in almost every town and city, to name just three issues, so I'm looking to see what Johnson's government does about these.

However, disappointed as I am with the result, I am pleased that it is a clear result. Hopefully the country can move on start to heal some divides. And maybe Johnson will surprise me.

Finally as someone firmly pro EU, I don't want UK to leave the EU and I believe that the referendum was severely flawed and there was no clarity or constency in what Leave really involved. But we know a lot more about what Leave means now, Johnson stood on a Brexit platform and sadly for me, there's no arguing with the result any more. I still believe that leaving the EU or at least the Single Market and Customs Union will prove to be a mistake but time will tell.

PS Fuck off Henley, you Tory b****** :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Did you vote Conservative?

Then you voted for this, and I hope you are proud of yourselves.

Because you shouldn't be

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmergMedDr/s ... 7985378310
Bring Back the Quarters

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:14 pm

grytters wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Because you shouldn't be

He’s been banging on about this sort of thing for ages. Just because it’s a snappy soundbite doesn’t make it the reality.

Take the NHS and there would be rioting in the streets as there was for the poll tax. It won’t happen.

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Give your head a shake

This is the Tories.

Always and forever,. LTV
Bring Back the Quarters

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:22 pm

grytters wrote:

Because you shouldn't be

It’s this sort of leftie holier than thou rhetoric that sent so many voters to the Tories. Maybe learn from it.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:27 pm

grytters wrote:

Because you shouldn't be

The problem for your requirements with that link is that it actually shows the problem of social media. 1 person puts up 1 small point which is then embellished over and over until it is a Mammoth.
I have paid in to the NHS for 50 years and until recently took little out, thus am entitled to what I do take out as per my contract.
People of a younger generation have not paid in in total and with the human race's life expectancy lengthening as it is, thus costing more expence, is it so wrong for the younger generation to be asked to take out further insurance to help pay bills if needed? Most of us took out multiple life insurance policies etc.