Gym's in Darlo

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_G
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Gym's in Darlo

Post by Darlo_G » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:12 pm

What gym's do people go to in Darlo. I currently go to Bannatynes, but for £50 a month, I kind of think that's a bit too much for gym membership.

Before I went to Bannatyne's, I was at the Blackwell, and that was a real s*** hole. That was nearly 6-7 years ago, so it might have changed now.

Is there any other decent gym's in and around Darlo (I need a gym that also has a Jacuzzi and steam / sauna room, so I can chill out for a while)?

User avatar
DIRTYDAVE
Posts: 1290
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:35 pm

Don't go to the penthouse gym its crap. the dophine centre gym is nice but does not have the jacuzzi or sauna thats why your paying so much money

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 pm

I would like to know the answer this question! The only decent gym in Darlo is Bannatynes but 50 quid a month is way expensive. I am looking to pay 25 a month - plus I get 250 back from work.All the cheaper gyms are just full of meat heads aswell.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

User avatar
ShrewsX
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic Of Bish Vegas

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by ShrewsX » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Might be worth looking beyond Darlo.

I joined the Leisure centre at Bishop Auckland, £20ish a month on a promotion price for off peak membership (I work shifts... so not fussed about that), including Jacuzzi, Pool and Sauna. Its not exactly a great gym, but it does the job. Its also not "full of Meatheads" which surprised me

Shrews
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

Darlo_G
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Darlo_G » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:24 pm

ShrewsX wrote:Might be worth looking beyond Darlo.

I joined the Leisure centre at Bishop Auckland, £20ish a month on a promotion price for off peak membership (I work shifts... so not fussed about that), including Jacuzzi, Pool and Sauna. Its not exactly a great gym, but it does the job. Its also not "full of Meatheads" which surprised me

Shrews
I've thought about that, but Bishop will be a bit too far out for me. By the time you take the cost of petrol into account, I might as well pay the 50 dabs at Bannatynes.

I seem to remember that the Newton Aycliffe sports centre (i think that's what you call it!), had a refurbishment about a year ago. Might have a look down there.

Darlo is s*** for sport / keeping fit. Lack of decent gym's / health clubs, a lack of football fields etc.

cameron-darlo
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by cameron-darlo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:49 pm

if i were you, i would try the leisure centre in aycliffe.. i think they have a sauna and jacuzzi.. and not too expensive either.

User avatar
ShrewsX
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic Of Bish Vegas

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by ShrewsX » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 pm

Look at it this way, if you are considering joining an out of town Gym...

Don't just travel to Aycliffe/Bishop/Kuala Lumpur for the Gym. Make the journey worthwhile and kill two birds with one stone. If you need to go to the supermarket, instead of two "local" trips (one to the gym, one to the supermarket), you can justify doing ASDA or Morrisons at Bishop, and the Gym at the same time.

Or if you have friends who train with you at Bannatynes, if you all swap to Aycliffe/Bishop, you can take turns to drive? £50 a month does seem excessive!

Does anyone here use "Grants Gym?" Theres one at Bishop, and one next to Route 66 in Darlo I think?

Shrews
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

BUSHEAD
Posts: 1523
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Dolly centres reasonable, a few friends of mind use the Hallgarth facilities.
#BeKind

Jazz Maverick
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: London

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 am

I used the fitness first at Preston industrial park,near Stockton, when I lived up north. Big, well equipped, never busy, and I payed about 35 quid. Pretty reasonable for the quality of the gym I thought.

SuperQuaker
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by SuperQuaker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am

Try to find an e-mail address for James Caan's office (him from dragon's den) I am sure I read he was starting an affordable chain of health clubs, probably annoying Bannatyne in the process! Might be able to find out if one is planned for our region anytime soon.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

canonlygetbetter
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by canonlygetbetter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Shameless plug for new business (staffed by Darlington fans)

http://www.myimagespace.com/public/view/2984



http://www.myimagespace.com/public/view/2985

No use for anyone who wants to do serious body-building but a lovely facility for anyone who wants to keep fit.

MB86DFC
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:55 pm

I train at bannatynes and believe it would be a good gym and worth the 50 odd quid if it wasn't so overcrowded. im not bothered about the pool etc but the good cardio equipment and good selection of weights is its main selling point. Its open from 6.30am aswell which no other gym can offer.

The penthouse is good for those looking for heavy weights but has crap cardio facilities and bad opening times on a weekend. i was a member but left due to the poor repair of the equipment and overcrowding.

The dolly is ok i guess but has a bad selection of weights (dumbbells only up to 30kg and no free bench)

the new one at aycliffe is supposed to be cracking but i cant be arsed with the drive there.

I don't know too much about Grants, ive popped my head in a couple of times and have mated who train there. From what i can gather its a good version of the penthouse gym.


I've heard a rumour that a fitness first is being planned for the big empty space where the Ford Garage was opposite St Cuthberts on the town centre ring road. Now this is a while off but if it does open it will drive down the price at bannatynes and solve the overcrowding.

quakermass
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by quakermass » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Ive joined the Gym at the Eden Arms Hotel off the a167 near Aycliffe for a 2 month trial membership. It's ok, the gym is only small but it has a treadmill and a rower which does me. The pool is decent enough and there's a sauna and jacuzzi.
Approx £30 a month peak rate but if you go online you can have 2 months trial for £49.
I used to be a member of the redworth hall paying £40 a month, but as usual, started off going three times a week and after a while found myself going once every 2 months so cancelled the membership. If your paying £50 a month it'll be cheaper to get liposuction.

SuperQuaker
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by SuperQuaker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:17 pm

MB86DFC wrote: dumbbells only up to 30kg
ONLY! I don't think 95% of people would use a dumbell that heavy.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Talc
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Adelaide

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Talc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 pm

I used to work at the memorial with a lad who ran the gym in the hospital. He is a great lad and would answer any questions, not sure the times or prices or equipment. If interested ring switch at DMH 380100, ask to be put through to theatres and ask for Mike Nixon.

User avatar
jazzydfc
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:05 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by jazzydfc » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:53 am

I used to train at Bannatyne's but the price got a bit steep, then went to the Dolphin where I got sick of people sitting on equipment having conversation's with the person next to them, so now I go to the Penthouse, I know it's not great for Cardio but at £16 a month I can live with it.

hall0a6
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by hall0a6 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 am

Try boxfit, it's only 25 a month

MB86DFC
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Gym's in Darlo

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 am

The penthouse gym has been taken over and redeveloped and is looking very good, well worth a look

User avatar
DL5
Posts: 4627
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by DL5 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Mine's only a pound a time and pay as you go, £2 annual membership. Little converted community centre hall in Coundon.
.

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6250
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Hilly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 pm

DL5 wrote:Mine's only a pound a time and pay as you go, £2 annual membership. Little converted community centre hall in Coundon.
Coundon as in Bishop Auckland?

User avatar
mikkyx
Site Admin
Posts: 3739
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by mikkyx » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 am

Love it when a spambot comes in, bumps an ancient thread which then gets serious replies and the discussion begins anew :D
Mike Price - @mikkyx
---
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
One fifth of Darlo Fans Radio and one half of the Darlo Radio Football Show

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6250
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Hilly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 am

mikkyx wrote:Love it when a spambot comes in, bumps an ancient thread which then gets serious replies and the discussion begins anew :D
Quite handy actually because Im on lookout for a gym to join!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Christophano
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Christophano » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:42 am

Hilly wrote:
mikkyx wrote:Love it when a spambot comes in, bumps an ancient thread which then gets serious replies and the discussion begins anew :D
Quite handy actually because Im on lookout for a gym to join!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Spam: The system works!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

User avatar
DL5
Posts: 4627
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by DL5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 am

Hilly wrote:
DL5 wrote:Mine's only a pound a time and pay as you go, £2 annual membership. Little converted community centre hall in Coundon.
Coundon as in Bishop Auckland?
Yes, it's only about 3 miles from where I live.
.

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6250
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Hilly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 pm

DL5 wrote:
Hilly wrote:
DL5 wrote:Mine's only a pound a time and pay as you go, £2 annual membership. Little converted community centre hall in Coundon.
Coundon as in Bishop Auckland?
Yes, it's only about 3 miles from where I live.
You learn something new everyday. Thought you lived in Darlo.

So whats it like then? Decent equipment? Just I'm thinking of joining the ones at Bishop Baths but thats like £25 a month.

User avatar
DL5
Posts: 4627
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by DL5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Hilly wrote:
DL5 wrote:
Hilly wrote:
DL5 wrote:Mine's only a pound a time and pay as you go, £2 annual membership. Little converted community centre hall in Coundon.
Coundon as in Bishop Auckland?
Yes, it's only about 3 miles from where I live.
You learn something new everyday. Thought you lived in Darlo.

So whats it like then? Decent equipment? Just I'm thinking of joining the ones at Bishop Baths but thats like £25 a month.
I thought my username gave it away :lol: I'm from Darlo but have been living in DL5 for the last 16years.

The gym isn't state of the art, but it's all you need, it's run by volunteers so is open for a couple of hours at lunchtime then on the evening most days. For the price you can't complain though, it has 2 x decent treadmills, bike, ski/stepper, rowing machine that have a computer and measures heart rate etc. There's lots of free weights and benches and several other bikes and bits of kit.
.

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6250
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by Hilly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:38 pm

DL5 wrote:
Hilly wrote:
DL5 wrote:
Hilly wrote:
DL5 wrote:Mine's only a pound a time and pay as you go, £2 annual membership. Little converted community centre hall in Coundon.
Coundon as in Bishop Auckland?
Yes, it's only about 3 miles from where I live.
You learn something new everyday. Thought you lived in Darlo.

So whats it like then? Decent equipment? Just I'm thinking of joining the ones at Bishop Baths but thats like £25 a month.
I thought my username gave it away :lol: I'm from Darlo but have been living in DL5 for the last 16years.

The gym isn't state of the art, but it's all you need, it's run by volunteers so is open for a couple of hours at lunchtime then on the evening most days. For the price you can't complain though, it has 2 x decent treadmills, bike, ski/stepper, rowing machine that have a computer and measures heart rate etc. There's lots of free weights and benches and several other bikes and bits of kit.
Not a clue where DL5 is! Just presumed Darlo. Might have a look over and see what it's like.

User avatar
DL5
Posts: 4627
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by DL5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Hilly wrote: Not a clue where DL5 is! Just presumed Darlo. Might have a look over and see what it's like.
Ok, give me a shout if you're interested, it was originally only for people in Coundon and I got introduced by a mate who lives there but I don't think they're that fussy anymore as it's never that busy.

FYI DL5 is Aycliffe, I live Woodham/Cobblers hall area ;)
.

User avatar
jazzydfc
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:05 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by jazzydfc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:36 pm

MB86DFC wrote:The penthouse gym has been taken over and redeveloped and is looking very good, well worth a look
The Penthouse has improved dramatically in the last month, brand new equipment, fresh paint and carpet, broken windows repaired and even the heating switched on. I was thinking of moving on when my membership was up for renewal but now I'll stay put.

DFC123
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington; Newcastle

Re: Gym's in Darlo

Post by DFC123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 pm

http://thefitnesscentredarlington.com/


The Silver Membership allows the holder access to Ten classes (all classes included) for the sum of £30.00. There is no time limit on when you have to take the classes.

You can also pay as you go. Just pay at the reception for each class you do. The price is £3.50 per class, £1.50 per class thereafter (only on concurrent classes on the same day)

£25.00 per month for supervised training (12 month tie-in) or £35.00 per month for all classes (see timetable for classes) and supervised training (12 month tie-in)

Post Reply