Will you vote in the General election ?

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Darlo Cockney
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Darlo Cockney » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 pm

I have always voted in every election that I have been able to because I believe that it is important that every person exercises their right to do so. I am so pleased that we live in a democracy, where I can vote.

What possible reason do people have to excuse themselves from not voting.....................and if they do so, then, how can they possibly criticise any decision that the Government takes. ?

DC
Started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left.

AndyPark
Posts: 11519
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by AndyPark » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Conservative.

User avatar
darlocraig
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:19 am

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by darlocraig » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:32 pm

I'll definitely be voting and have done since i've been able to. :thumbup:

In my eyes if you don't cast your vote then you can't complain when thing's like the expenses scandal arises.. even tho you still pay their wages via taxes.

I believe in hearing/reading about Australians having to vote by law tho they have an opt out system rather than opt in. Maybe we should look into a similar system.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12634
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Likewise I've voted in every election since I turned 18, a few years back! Because I'm a Presiding Officer I'll have to have a postal vote. :x

User avatar
ShrewsX
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic Of Bish Vegas

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by ShrewsX » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:11 am

I certainly will be voting.

I have voted in every election except the last round of European ones (I turned up, spoiled my ballot paper and went home - I refuse to help someone get a well paid job when they have made no effort to even put a leaflet through my door, or explain their views).

This year I am struggling for who to vote for. In previous years, I have had at least an idea of who I would be voting for when the election was called. But this year... well I haven't a clue. I doubt it will be a mainstream party though. The expenses scandal alone has shattered my faith in them.

Ideally I'd like to think there would be an independant candidate who might stand. He'd probably get my vote, if only to help him get his deposit back, as a reward for having the balls to stand up against all these b****** career politicians.

Shrews
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

User avatar
Jamm
Posts: 577
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Jamm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:44 am

Darlo Cockney wrote:I have always voted in every election that I have been able to because I believe that it is important that every person exercises their right to do so. I am so pleased that we live in a democracy, where I can vote.

What possible reason do people have to excuse themselves from not voting.....................and if they do so, then, how can they possibly criticise any decision that the Government takes. ?

DC
Because what we are voting for is who gets to make no more than 25% of new laws, out of parties who have all reneged on a distinct promise to hold a referendum in their last election manifestoes. The fact is, we cannot remove those who hold the real power in this country, who are not actually in this country. We are forced to accept the rulings of judges forced to apply the European Convention on Human Rights. Ask the LibLabCon what their policies are on fisheries, agriculture, transport, energy, etc. Not much, as they're all 'competences' of the EU - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 200:EN:PDF - Articles 2-6, meaning that we either cannot legislate in such areas, or can ony do so if it doesn't conflict with EU legislation.
Then we have the parliamentary expenses scandal, and smarmy politicians, etc.
I agree with your original point, but just thought I'd put forward some reasons why people are so disillusioned with politics.

User avatar
Jamm
Posts: 577
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Jamm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 am

Oh, and to the answer original question, None of the above! I believe in exercising my right to vote, but don't believe in EU membership, so will not vote for parties who support EU governance, which is all I have round here - LibLabCon+Greens. I wouldn't vote BNP if they stood round here, would obviously vote UKIP, would consider English Democrats, but without that choice it's a spoilt ballot paper. :(

rj50
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Darlo Tyke

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by rj50 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:59 am

Jamm if you feel like that,why dont you stand?

User avatar
Jamm
Posts: 577
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Jamm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:22 am

rj50 wrote:Jamm if you feel like that,why dont you stand?
Due to my employment prohibiting such action. :shh:

User avatar
bigbitchtits
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:01 pm
Team Supported: Sunderland

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by bigbitchtits » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:40 am

BNP for me if they stand.

User avatar
quakerray
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:53 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: bishop auckland
Contact:

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by quakerray » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 am

are the raving loony party still here. or is that who's in now

User avatar
DL5
Posts: 4625
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by DL5 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:56 pm

bigbitchtits wrote:BNP for me if they stand.
Hitler was a nice lad, just misunderstood :crazy:
.

User avatar
BishopQuaker
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by BishopQuaker » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:17 pm

bigbitchtits wrote:BNP for me if they stand.
Bunch of twats.

Fact.

User avatar
Norm_D_Ploom
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:10 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:
bigbitchtits wrote:BNP for me if they stand.
Bunch of twats.

Fact.
Why ?

The country is over run with fucking migrants, a policy of the Labour party in particular that c*** from Sedgefield, and his fucking munter of a wife.

Could you tell please me what you propose to do to return England to the English people

Also don't give me that we have had migrants since SS Windrush because that was post war Britain and the circumstances were not the same.

User avatar
Mr_Tibbs
Posts: 3296
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:55 pm
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo
Location: Gruzia
Contact:

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:30 pm

AndyPark wrote:Conservative.
Brazil or England
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

Image

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

User avatar
BishopQuaker
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by BishopQuaker » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:50 am

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
BishopQuaker wrote:
bigbitchtits wrote:BNP for me if they stand.
Bunch of twats.

Fact.
Why ?

The country is over run with f***ing migrants, a policy of the Labour party in particular that c*** from Sedgefield, and his f***ing munter of a wife.

Could you tell please me what you propose to do to return England to the English people

Also don't give me that we have had migrants since SS Windrush because that was post war Britain and the circumstances were not the same.
For one thing, the NHS would be fucked without all the nurses and doctors from overseas we have working here.

Return England to the English? I didn't realise anyone else had invaded and claimed it as their own.

Over run with migrants? I don't think it's over run.
I live in a big city, not a tinpot town in the north east.
Baring in mind I come from Bishop I'm allowed to have an opinion on where I'm from.
The problem with places like Bishop, Shildon, Spenny and Darlo is that the BNP have been spoonfeeding hate to people who have never lived in an area with a big multi-cultural population.
Manchester is a massive cosmopolitan city with people from all over the world.
The BNP make people feel threatened by what they don't know and tar everyone who is "not English" in their eyes with the same brush.

I think we've got a lot of people by sheer chance of birth, were born in this country and they do fuck all.
Benefit cheats, people having more kids than they can cope with and yet somehow get a house and more benefits than you can shake a stick at.
But no, lets not do anything about them, lets have a go at immigrants instead, because "They're not English"

The fact that Nick Griffin made such a buffoon of himself on Question Time by trying to justify the actions of the Klan just goes to show what a ridiculous and misguided party the BNP are.

Jazz Maverick
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: London

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Well said BishopQuaker.

Whilst we need to improve immigration control to ensure we get the right kind of people coming into the country, and filter out the bad'uns, to say the country is over-run by immigrants is fucking laughable. Especially when people who live in areas that are 99.99% white british say it!

A far bigger problem in this country are the work shy, feckless, socially irresponsible underclass, regardless of what colour or nationality they are.

User avatar
KCChiefs
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:53 pm
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes - Insult to those who fought and lost their lives if you ask me.

Will always vote for who i have - not that it will make a difference in Darlo as the result is a foregone conclusion !!

Conservative.

User avatar
ShrewsX
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic Of Bish Vegas

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by ShrewsX » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:14 pm

BQ, me and you have been friends for a while, and will continue to be... but I think devils advocate is needed here....


1. Why aren't we training our own Doctors and Nurses? I dont argue that the NHS would be fucked without them, but surely we have the facility to train our own? My doctor is damn good, and is a Filipino, but it says something that we are recruiting these guys in the first place. Surely we have the infrastructure to train our own?

2. English Identity is being eroded. Now, I am never going to vote BNP, but when we live in a culture where we have to live in fear of "offending someone" something has gone wrong. I have no problem with mosques, or synagogues or whatever... I have a problem with the fact that we can't celebrate our own history and culture for fear of offending other cultures.
I am prepared to accept this isnt the fault of the immigrants, but the fault of the institutions of this country who allow it happen, but it seems to me that we bend over backwards to accomadate other cultures, while there is no effort made to celebrate our own.

3. The fact is, we are a crowded island. We have our own problems. We have chavs, we have the "shameless" society, we have the workshy. that doesn't mean its right to allow anyone and everyone in;.

The answer to immigration is simple. Control it, and control it tight. We dont need a BNP style outright ban, but we dont need an open border. we need strict and tight rules. Its impossible to ban people from having kids, but it is possible to stop people entering the country


Shrews
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 pm

“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6251
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Hilly » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:39 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I'm voting for this party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypLwI5AQvY
Why? He's a cock.

For those of you questioning English Identity, you might want to give this programme a view:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ersecuted/

I watched it the other night and although obviously highly Christian orientated (which I would argue forms a big basis of our identity) a lot of it is still valid.

User avatar
Norm_D_Ploom
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

For one thing, the NHS would be fucked without all the nurses and doctors from overseas we have working here.

Return England to the English? I didn't realise anyone else had invaded and claimed it as their own.

Over run with migrants? I don't think it's over run.
I live in a big city, not a tinpot town in the north east.
Baring in mind I come from Bishop I'm allowed to have an opinion on where I'm from.
The problem with places like Bishop, Shildon, Spenny and Darlo is that the BNP have been spoonfeeding hate to people who have never lived in an area with a big multi-cultural population.
Manchester is a massive cosmopolitan city with people from all over the world.
The BNP make people feel threatened by what they don't know and tar everyone who is "not English" in their eyes with the same brush.

I think we've got a lot of people by sheer chance of birth, were born in this country and they do f*** all.
Benefit cheats, people having more kids than they can cope with and yet somehow get a house and more benefits than you can shake a stick at.
But no, lets not do anything about them, lets have a go at immigrants instead, because "They're not English"

The fact that Nick Griffin made such a buffoon of himself on Question Time by trying to justify the actions of the Klan just goes to show what a ridiculous and misguided party the BNP are.[/quote
]

Read what Shrew say BQ.


You are correct with your views on the walfare state, but that isn' the issue at debate is it, and giving that the welafre state is creaking at the seams, why import more problems to it ?

I don't live in the North East I live in West Yorkshire I also lived in the big smoke for 4 years so I know all about mc and its failure thank you very much

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11799
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm

I'll vote, haven't decided who for yet.

My local area is a very nice place to live, is highly multi-cultural, is the most densely populated area of London, has some quite rough areas, but there's a generally pleasant atmosphere around the place. My local MP is a Liberal Democrat - if I wanted to look after my own area I'd vote him back in in an instant, as I think he's done a cracking job in the area.

On the debate about Britishness, as BQ quite rightly says, a large number of people are 'lucky' enough to be born British. A large number of them however, do fuck all defend this "English Identity" you talk about. You can blame it on the migrants all you want, but a large proportion of migrants over the years have come to this country and embraced our cultures and traditions whilst diversifying the country we've been lucky enough to be born in and opening our minds to other ways of life.

If the "English Identity" you talk about is one of closed-mindedness, then I think we're better off without it. I, on the other hand, like to think that my Englishness makes me willing to look beyond artificial boundaries and the luck of the draw.

It's hardly as if the English haven't invaded countries over the years and forced them to follow our traditions and way of life.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
Norm_D_Ploom
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:54 pm

Spyman wrote:I'll vote, haven't decided who for yet.

My local area is a very nice place to live, is highly multi-cultural, is the most densely populated area of London, has some quite rough areas, but there's a generally pleasant atmosphere around the place. My local MP is a Liberal Democrat - if I wanted to look after my own area I'd vote him back in in an instant, as I think he's done a cracking job in the area.

On the debate about Britishness, as BQ quite rightly says, a large number of people are 'lucky' enough to be born British. A large number of them however, do f*** all defend this "English Identity" you talk about. You can blame it on the migrants all you want, but a large proportion of migrants over the years have come to this country and embraced our cultures and traditions whilst diversifying the country we've been lucky enough to be born in and opening our minds to other ways of life.

If the "English Identity" you talk about is one of closed-mindedness, then I think we're better off without it. I, on the other hand, like to think that my Englishness makes me willing to look beyond artificial boundaries and the luck of the draw.

It's hardly as if the English haven't invaded countries over the years and forced them to follow our traditions and way of life.
No I would agree with most of that that Spy and the original post was after a bottle of Red on Saturday night so BQ's aloofness probably got me at the wrong moment :lol: , however I would stand by my views that by opening our borders to all and sundry we have made a difficult situation much worse.

The welfare state is creaking at the seams although as a great deal of the migrants were from EU states there wasn't a lot we could do about it sadly.
As you and others have correctly pointed out there are third and fourth generation wasters in this country who have never done a days work in their lives but have had everything provided for them, that is wrong so when you have that situation to contend with why import additional strain onto the system ?

Another couple of issues, there was a probably greater degree of integration by the original WI migrants in the 50's maybe they were helped because they came from a christian background so perhaps it was easier for them to adapt ?(although they probaly faced much more open hostility the migrants do today) there has been less of an attempt to intergrate since the initial wave in the 50/60's certainly where I live in West Yorkshire the muslim's are very insular and have no desire to mix, that wasn't the case when I lived in Houslow amongst Hindu's & Sihks

Secondly by this comment " opening our minds to other ways of life " do you mean going for a ruby ?

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11799
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Secondly by this comment " opening our minds to other ways of life " do you mean going for a ruby ?
Ruby, Chinky, Kebab - I embrace them all with an open gob.

I'd agree with your point that we don't make things easy for ourselves with such a lax policy on immigration, we've "let in" (we say this as if you or I have any more claim to this particular lump of rock than anyone else) plenty of people who have done nothing but improve the UK, whether by their culture or their trade, and we've offered the UK as a safe-haven for those who aren't lucky enough to be born to a stable political country like ours.

However this leads to some people taking advantage of our immigration policy, just as some of 'our own' take advantage of other loopholes in the law, or the benefits system. It's very hard to find a happy medium, but for all people say our country has gone to pot, I'd rather be here than a lot of other places around the world, where poverty is far more prevalent.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:00 pm

bigbitchtits wrote:BNP for me if they stand.
Why doesn't that surprise me? It seems I was correct with my assumption of your IQ, then.

So, you enjoy watching two men beat eachother to a bloody pulp and you vote for a racist party. You really do sound like an outstanding human being. Give yourself a pat on the back.

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
BishopQuaker wrote:
bigbitchtits wrote:BNP for me if they stand.
Bunch of twats.

Fact.
Why ?

The country is over run with f***ing migrants, a policy of the Labour party in particular that c*** from Sedgefield, and his f***ing munter of a wife.

Could you tell please me what you propose to do to return England to the English people

Also don't give me that we have had migrants since SS Windrush because that was post war Britain and the circumstances were not the same.
Again, don't you seem like a lovely human being. The BNP and their supporters need deporting; not the immigrants.

User avatar
Norm_D_Ploom
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:19 am

I wouldn't vote for the BNP to be honest , read my post to SPY which will explain the original outburst, but even if I did it doesn't give you the right to dismiss their views with a wholier than thou attitude just because you don't agree with them.

The fact is their views are striking a chord with a large % of the electorate and the mainstream parties need to look at the issues that are causing the unrest.

Then the BNP will go away.

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6251
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by Hilly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:30 am

I've just read that one of the UKIP's policies is possible ban on women wearing burkhas (the full-length Muslim body covering), now I know the reason for muslim women wearing burkhas is an Islamic tradition involving oppression - but to simply ban it seems racist to me (a good example of the UKIP at large?).

Muslim women should be given the choice of what they want to wear.

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Will you vote in the General election ?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am

Hilly wrote:Muslim women should be given the choice of what they want to wear.
Whilst I agree with that, it is not as simple as you think as many of them have been conditioned to believe that they SHOULD wear them. It's all about the control of women and it's fucking ridiculous.

Post Reply