Middlesbrough - Latest attempt to become a city

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Middlesbrough - Latest attempt to become a city

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:42 am

I was just reading about this - seems Middlesbrough wants to achieve city status in 2012.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tees/low/pe ... 783769.stm

One of the questions put to Mayor Mallon was whether the people would consider a change of name to (jokingly) the City of Ironopolis. He said he'd get lynched but that raises an interesting question - whether the Boro in itself is big enough to become a city. The main conurbation of the Boro & Stockton I would say would make for a far stronger candidate for city status - say, the city of Teesside, but that would bring it's own problems (who would lead) and would the people of Middlesbrough still be so interested in achieving city status if Middlesbrough wasn't "it". Suppose they decided to create a joint administrative structure and housed this within what is now Stockton's boundaries. Could the people of Middlesbrough stomach that? Or must it be the City of Middlesbrough or nowt?

It's just that they've been harping on about this for years and years - even campaigning to have the main East Coast Line diverted east, through Teesside, when the electrification upgrade was carried out - which would have been at Darlo's expense.

Fortunately the then Secretary of State, Willie Whitelaw, is on record as having said that he saw Middlesbrough as more of an "outpost" populated by people who were too "full of their own self-importance" to ever be taken seriously.

I thought this was a little unfair, to be honest. What do other people think?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Middlesbrough - Latest attempt to become a city

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:57 am

I think they should go back to their original name, 'Port Darlington'. :lol:

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:27 am

Hey they might rebrand it who knows?, they're already renaming Port Clarence "Saltholme Village" and giving it a Billingham postcode to try and fool people, maybe they'll name the boro "Pleasantville city" or something :think:

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:47 am

DL5 wrote:Hey they might rebrand it who knows?, they're already renaming Port Clarence "Saltholme Village" and giving it a Billingham postcode to try and fool people, maybe they'll name the boro "Pleasantville city" or something :think:
Really? heh heh! Worked there for a lot of years. What about High Clarence, and Haverton Hill?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
DL5 wrote:Hey they might rebrand it who knows?, they're already renaming Port Clarence "Saltholme Village" and giving it a Billingham postcode to try and fool people, maybe they'll name the boro "Pleasantville city" or something :think:
Really? heh heh! Worked there for a lot of years. What about High Clarence, and Haverton Hill?
There's only High Clarence left now as far as housing goes though it still gets called Port. Port, Haverton, Belasis all gone, don't be sad 3 out of 4 ain't bad ;)

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:I was just reading about this - seems Middlesbrough wants to achieve city status in 2012.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tees/low/pe ... 783769.stm

One of the questions put to Mayor Mallon was whether the people would consider a change of name to (jokingly) the City of Ironopolis. He said he'd get lynched but that raises an interesting question - whether the Boro in itself is big enough to become a city. The main conurbation of the Boro & Stockton I would say would make for a far stronger candidate for city status - say, the city of Teesside, but that would bring it's own problems (who would lead) and would the people of Middlesbrough still be so interested in achieving city status if Middlesbrough wasn't "it". Suppose they decided to create a joint administrative structure and housed this within what is now Stockton's boundaries. Could the people of Middlesbrough stomach that? Or must it be the City of Middlesbrough or nowt?

It's just that they've been harping on about this for years and years - even campaigning to have the main East Coast Line diverted east, through Teesside, when the electrification upgrade was carried out - which would have been at Darlo's expense.

Fortunately the then Secretary of State, Willie Whitelaw, is on record as having said that he saw Middlesbrough as more of an "outpost" populated by people who were too "full of their own self-importance" to ever be taken seriously.

I thought this was a little unfair, to be honest. What do other people think?
Makes you wonder why no-one else thought of it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Borough_of_Teesside
Bring Back the Quarters

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Truth is, that the money that would be spent on creating, "The City of Middlesbrough" would be better spent on tidying the place up and investing in its future. Its never been a glamourous place, and investment has been there, but its taken a massive hit in the fact that Corus has gone.

Spend the money for this project on getting people jobs, then tidy the place up... then maybe. But till then, its another crazy idea only a council could even consider.

Shrews
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Sounds like what they did when Sunderland became a city. It only had a population of around 150k but the 'City Of' extends out to places like Washington and Houghton le Spring.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:07 pm

grytters wrote:
Makes you wonder why no-one else thought of it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Borough_of_Teesside
Yes, I remember when it was Teesside. I think there'd be a lot more support for the City of Teesside - but maybe not so much enthusiasm from the Boro.

Sounds better too, like Teesside University. I was just reading about their new Darlington "campus" (do we have to use that word?) - looks smart.

Maybe they should expand on this city idea a bit and call it the "City of Teesside & Darlington" - seeing as we've got a proper train station and an airport and all? We could get the name of the airport changed back to what everyone still knows it as. And they get all their water from us. We could build a dam.

lol!
Join - Shop - Collect

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Do we really want to be linked to that area :o It has a very poor reputation nationally :thumbdown:
FORZA DARLO

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:47 pm

the city of teesside sounds better. btw the airport is owned by the 5 councils in the area of the tees valley so boro has a share in the airport but rebranding it teesside airport again would be better. has for city of teesside and darlington would not work it would just suck. if anything darlington should try to be a city on its own.

diggerman
Team Supported: BORO

Post by diggerman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 pm

In my opinion , neither Middlesbrough or Stockton is large enough in their own rights to be cities .
The fact that the two towns are so close to each other also means that to me , the only way of achieving city status is by joining forces.
Only thing is - the two towns (and their people) always seem to be at loggerheads with each other and vying to be Teessides "major town".
In that respect i can't see it happening
BORO - PRIDE OF YORKSHIRE !