Darlo Arts Centre

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ShrewsX
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo Arts Centre

Post by ShrewsX » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:59 pm

Heard through the grapevine that the Arts Centre is to close in April next year, no doubt to be sold off for flats by the council?

Ive been once or twice when the Ale Festival has been on, but what else is it used for? An oppurtunity for the Arena to pick up some functions maybe?
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

divas

Re: Darlo Arts Centre

Post by divas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 am

ShrewsX wrote:Heard through the grapevine that the Arts Centre is to close in April next year, no doubt to be sold off for flats by the council?

Ive been once or twice when the Ale Festival has been on, but what else is it used for? An oppurtunity for the Arena to pick up some functions maybe?
I'd say you're dead right, it could be a winner for the football club if they could tempt things like the CAMRA festival and the small band gigs that take place there - of course location is going to be an issue to people with no regular bus service to the arena as far as im aware.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:47 am

I take it QE don't use it as much as they used to then?

When I was there the theatre studies students used to use bits of the arts centre when the English block was full.

Sign of the times I'm afraid people.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 am

BishopQuaker wrote:I take it QE don't use it as much as they used to then?

When I was there the theatre studies students used to use bits of the arts centre when the English block was full.

I guess with the Tech college moving to an outskirts of town location that wont have helped numbers, i doubt it will be too long before the QE looks at a similar move.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:00 am

I'd be surprised, they had a massive refurb not so long ago.
There's an entirely new wing there since I was there.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:04 am

BishopQuaker wrote:I'd be surprised, they had a massive refurb not so long ago.
Didnt know that, but i know they sold Claremont off to housing developers.

Christophano

Darlo Arts Centre

Post by Christophano » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 am

divas wrote: I guess with the Tech college moving to an outskirts of town location
I wouldn't consider the new location to be the outskirts, not by a long shot.
Although it would be nice if the club somehow benefitted, I'd much rather not lose the Arts Centre at all.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 am

divas wrote:
BishopQuaker wrote:I'd be surprised, they had a massive refurb not so long ago.
Didnt know that, but i know they sold Claremont off to housing developers.
See. I do post useful and informative things :D

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 pm

divas wrote:
ShrewsX wrote:Heard through the grapevine that the Arts Centre is to close in April next year, no doubt to be sold off for flats by the council?

I'd say you're dead right, it could be a winner for the football club if they could tempt things like the CAMRA festival and the small band gigs that take place there - of course location is going to be an issue to people with no regular bus service to the arena as far as im aware.
I'm amazed that in all this time, Arriva hasnt re-routed a bus to the Arena on matchdays, could make a few quid for an extra few minutes on a journey.

I'm sure CAMRA would be interested, if their festival happened to fall on a home game, they could make a killing, with over a thousand people who would be there anyway, many of whom might have a pint of something different for a change. Could work a treat.
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

divas

Post by divas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 pm

ShrewsX wrote:
divas wrote:

I'm amazed that in all this time, Arriva hasnt re-routed a bus to the Arena on matchdays, could make a few quid for an extra few minutes on a journey.

I'm sure CAMRA would be interested, if their festival happened to fall on a home game, they could make a killing, with over a thousand people who would be there anyway, many of whom might have a pint of something different for a change. Could work a treat.
Surely Ted Blair (if he posts on here) would have some input from a CAMRA perspective.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm

I remember going to see Martin Stephenson ( minus the Daintees) at the D.A.C in about 1989 or 90 good little venue it was

Charlie_Darlo

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 am

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:I remember going to see Martin Stephenson ( minus the Daintees) at the D.A.C in about 1989 or 90 good little venue it was
I saw him play a gig in Leeds about 5 years ago. An ex took me.

It was the first I had heard of him, but I really enjoyed it.

It will be a disaster for Darlo if the Arts Centre and Civic close. I would like to see the council lease them for a nominal rent to not-for-profit trusts run by local people.

The beer festival belongs at the Arts Centre. It wouldn't be the same anywhere else.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 pm

There's more to the Arts Centre than the beer festival!!
It's a great venue for live music as it's big enough to attract quality acts but small enough to be intimate. Also great for comedy as well. A town the size of Darlo simply can't not have an arts centre,I take this rumour with a pinch of salt. However, if it is true, it is so so so short sighted.

Good gigs at the Arts centre, Hugh Cornwell
Tom Robinson/ TV Smith
Andy Fairweather Low ( bit steady/but OK )
Stuey Goodchild/ Rubicon !!!!
Acoustic Moist
Labi Siffrey
Mark Watson ( Really funny )
Russel Howard ( not as good as Mark )

Out of the above I would place TV Smith as the best. He delivered an acoustic punk set with style and humour. Brill.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:50 am

If the Civic is saved then I can't see the Arts Centre being saved. I suspect that come April we won't have an Arts Centre anymore. Have to admit that I quite often drive past it on a Sunday teatime and the place is shut, not a good sign.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Its always closed on a Sunday Pete.

This is also more than a rumour and is in the new budget proposals for DBC which are now public knowledge. Its pretty likely that it will close.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:04 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:I take it QE don't use it as much as they used to then?

QE use it loads. There's at least 4 or 5 different lessons taught specifically in the Arts Centre. I'm not sure how mnuch they used to lose it, but it's not as if they've completely abandoned the place.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

liamibod

Post by liamibod » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Hope it stays open. It offers so much opportunity for the local community. First the Forum threat and now the arts centre :-(
The Arts centre has a proud history and I'm sure it will stay open. It has so much potential
Liam
www.darlingtonsearcher.co.uk

Chris6098

Post by Chris6098 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:44 pm

QE use it alot. Back in my time there (we're talking 2009 so not long ago) it was used for Media, English Literature, Drama & Theatre Studies, Music, Music Technology to name a few so obviously it's in huge use at the college. The sixth-form was already stretched as it was for classrooms so the facilities in the Art Centre are pretty esssential to the college tbh. Nevertheless there always was room for manouvere at the college still, i.e. some rooms being empty during lessons so it would be able to survive the closure of the Arts Centre.