How long has Todd got left?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

How long has Todd got left?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:35 pm

I know some people reckon he should have been sacked by now, but amongst those that still have faith in him, how much longer can we keep him in charge if our fortunes don't change? I reckon if we lose at Accrington on Friday night, he should bow out graciously and let someone else have a try.

Santino

Re: How long has Todd got left?

Post by Santino » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:42 pm

As it stands we're going to go down, so we need to give ourselves the best possible chance of surviving. So don't waste time making excuses for him, 1 point from six games is s*** whichever way you look at it, get someone else in.

Jonny
Team Supported: Hartlepool

Post by Jonny » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:41 pm

There is really no need to panic at this stage - in reality with Darlo's crowds going down survival in Division Four is gonna be the best you lot could hope for no matter who is in charge. Maybe some loan signings could give a breath of fresh air? or maybethe team will gel? It has been a poor start but I don't think the alarm bells shoul be ringing just yet as much as they are - if you get to 11 or 12 games and only have 3 or 4 points then it is probably time to look at options. Remember third bottom is good enough to survive.

By appointing a new manager now, you are only going to get someone with little room for change in terms of playing staff so patience is probably the best answer for now.

Other considerations include the face that there are likely to be one or two clubs who get in financial difficulty over the long winter months so there may be some points deductions that in directly help you lot out.

If there is a management change and you continue to struggle then there is probably only one man who has never let Darlo down - but after all the back stabbing people have given him and the criticism no one could blame him if he doesn't......

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Jonny wrote:There is really no need to panic at this stage - in reality with Darlo's crowds going down survival in Division Four is gonna be the best you lot could hope for no matter who is in charge. Maybe some loan signings could give a breath of fresh air? or maybethe team will gel? It has been a poor start but I don't think the alarm bells shoul be ringing just yet as much as they are - if you get to 11 or 12 games and only have 3 or 4 points then it is probably time to look at options. Remember third bottom is good enough to survive.

By appointing a new manager now, you are only going to get someone with little room for change in terms of playing staff so patience is probably the best answer for now.

Other considerations include the face that there are likely to be one or two clubs who get in financial difficulty over the long winter months so there may be some points deductions that in directly help you lot out.

If there is a management change and you continue to struggle then there is probably only one man who has never let Darlo down - but after all the back stabbing people have given him and the criticism no one could blame him if he doesn't......

Jonny, if you mean Hodgy - God I hope he sees this board and comes forward to offer his services! Maybe tou can speak to your management and loan us Austin back? lol
COME ON DARLO!

carver30

Post by carver30 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm

The interesting fact is Todd was Houghton choice not Raj's so it would be interesting to hear what Raj thinks. In fact thinking about it Raj has been pretty quiet since taking over.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:00 pm

carver30 wrote:The interesting fact is Todd was Houghton choice not Raj's so it would be interesting to hear what Raj thinks. In fact thinking about it Raj has been pretty quiet since taking over.

He's probably still taking things in - if Houghton wanted to destroy the club then Todd as manager is a good way of doing it from afar! I hope Raj manages to find the funds to sack Todd and bring someone else in to inspire some confidence in the players, as there certainally is some ability there, it just needs to be drawn out!
COME ON DARLO!

turnandbounce
Team Supported: Hartlepool

Post by turnandbounce » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:38 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:
Jonny wrote:There is really no need to panic at this stage - in reality with Darlo's crowds going down survival in Division Four is gonna be the best you lot could hope for no matter who is in charge. Maybe some loan signings could give a breath of fresh air? or maybethe team will gel? It has been a poor start but I don't think the alarm bells shoul be ringing just yet as much as they are - if you get to 11 or 12 games and only have 3 or 4 points then it is probably time to look at options. Remember third bottom is good enough to survive.

Jonny, if you mean Hodgy - God I hope he sees this board and comes forward to offer his services! Maybe tou can speak to your management and loan us Austin back? lol
Austin can't get in out team! :mrgreen:

alleztfc
Team Supported: Hartlepool United League 1

Post by alleztfc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:02 pm

In all seriousness, I don't see why we couldn't loan Austin out.
At the moment, he's light years away from a place and would benefit from 1st team games. There are a few more at Pools in a similar position...Mind, you wouldnt thank us for some of them! :oops:

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I know some people reckon he should have been sacked by now, but amongst those that still have faith in him, how much longer can we keep him in charge if our fortunes don't change? I reckon if we lose at Accrington on Friday night, he should bow out graciously and let someone else have a try.
I'm willing to see how things stand after ten league games.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:09 pm

alleztfc wrote:In all seriousness, I don't see why we couldn't loan Austin out.
At the moment, he's light years away from a place and would benefit from 1st team games. There are a few more at Pools in a similar position...Mind, you wouldnt thank us for some of them! :oops:

Don't know about that. You haven't seen our lot play!

connor2k7ovdarlo

Post by connor2k7ovdarlo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Houghtons plan worked, this was meant to happen :evil:
><
X

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:11 pm

Todd has always been a bland mid-to-lower-league-table manager who's style is as follows:
- kick and rush
- '110%'
- big lad up front
- scrap a home win, scrape an away draw
- get some clever premiership lads on loan

As long as he keeps us up he has done his job. But he is a complete dinosaur when it comes to this level. If we have any ambition of pushing further he needs to be sacked.

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:13 pm

Very difficult to disagree. :silent:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:21 pm

If it were up to me, 9 hours. We have a mediocre/poor squad, but under his less than capable guidence we are by a mile the worst team in the football league. The quality of the players he's brought in on a low budget can be forgiven, the clueless, aimless, skilless way he is instructing them to play cant be. Someone today suggested let Lidds and Maddo have a go, I'd much rather see those 2 in charge than keep watching this utter drivel that the loyal Darlo fans are being forced to endure on a weekly basis!

Santino

Post by Santino » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:52 pm

Something has got to change. Everyone appreciates the circumstances that Todd has been working in but that still doesn't give him license to get beat every week with shite tactics and clueless players.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:04 am

I'd be prepared to wait until after the Rochdale match at home. That means we have played Accrington and Grimsby, away, but we should still be able to compete with them. We would have played Bournemouth and Rochdale at home too. Both tough games but if we scrap hard enough we should have enough to get at least a point from 1 of them. It will also be 10 games into the season, when the table starts shaping up.

Eaststandbaldie

Post by Eaststandbaldie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:06 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I know some people reckon he should have been sacked by now, but amongst those that still have faith in him, how much longer can we keep him in charge if our fortunes don't change? I reckon if we lose at Accrington on Friday night, he should bow out graciously and let someone else have a try.
SPOT ON, hope we dont lose though

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:35 am

i'd give him 5 games, saying that, if we dont get something from accrington on friday, could be curtains for him, but it i'll be a hard game on friday, with the result they got a bury yesterday

SteveSC

Post by SteveSC » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:45 am

I don't think there is any way Todd will walk - apart from losing his pay off money he would get if he was sacked, it would be an admission he wasn't good enough and almost certainly be his last job in football - at league level in England anyway.

He'll stick it out to the bitter end - partly because I'm sure he still thinks he is a good manager and things will turn round - and parrtly because of sheer bloody mindedness that he will not be pushed out by fans opinions.

In the end he has no particular loyalty to the club - he was appointed by the previous owner after he touted himself for the job in the press - its just another club, another job and will continue to take the money as long as he can.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:31 pm

TBH I don't think he has long left, personally I would like to see him given longer but there does appear to be a ground swell of opinion for him to go sooner rather than later.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:08 am

fat tony wrote:Todd has always been a bland mid-to-lower-league-table manager who's style is as follows:
- kick and rush
- '110%'
- big lad up front
- scrap a home win, scrape an away draw
- get some clever premiership lads on loan

As long as he keeps us up he has done his job. But he is a complete dinosaur when it comes to this level. If we have any ambition of pushing further he needs to be sacked.
Correct - the only thing about this season is survivial BUT can Todd deliver? Loose at Accrington (who are terrible) and he might have to walk the plank.

princebishop

Post by princebishop » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:34 am

We're in dire straits, Todd hasn't got a fookin clue. The club are operating with a much smaller budget than previous seasons and putting a side the fact that we have an extremely small squad...only Foster, Main and Miller played on a few occasions last season. This is all bound to have an affect on the way we play and the results we collect along the way.

Sacking Todd would only result in the club having to pay out his contract, more money that probably isn't in Singh's budget for this season. Then a new manager would probably want to put their own team in place and given that we've signed the majority of the squad in the last two months they will be hard to move on before others can be brought in.

I suppose it all depends on how much patience Singh has got, but i'd have thought that if we don't gain much from Accrington Stanley this Friday, Bournemouth the week after and then a six pointer against Grimsby on the 26th - Todd has to walk, nevermind be sacked.

You never know, a few clubs might slip in to administration - that might save us!

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:41 am

If we lose at Accrington there is no point in dragging things out, they are one of the teams we will be fighting to stay up. We will have to see what the ambition of RS really is if we lose.
Reno Raines

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:35 pm

The truth is we're already down to 1800 fans & if enough of them turn against Todd he'll have to go! Trouble is it's hard to see how anyone could do a lot better with the players we have, mind you they couldn't do any worse either!!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:45 pm

It doesnt matter what 1800 fans think, its all down to Raj Singh & what he thinks since hes the one that has to foot the bill if he decides to get rid.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:24 pm

It's been a terrible start. But what if the next guy loses five out of the next six? Do we get rid of him too? Given what Todd inherited I feel he deserves longer and I feel like the players who agreed to come to play for Darlo when we couldn't even offer them a contract deserve more support than can be found on the majority of threads on this messageboard.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:50 pm

loan_star wrote:It doesnt matter what 1800 fans think, its all down to Raj Singh & what he thinks since hes the one that has to foot the bill if he decides to get rid.
Your quite right Robbo. But Raj Singh admitted that he knows what is said on this MB, so he'll know that fans aren't very happy with how the season has gone so far.

Darlo Cockney

Post by Darlo Cockney » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:25 am

God some people have short memories.

Not very long ago we were in the process of looking at forming AFC Darlington and playing in the Northern League.

Then Raj came in and saved the Club and we started out with Foster, Miller and some kids.

Todd has had to assemble a team without any funds (Rightly so, as we CANNOT AFFORD to splash around cash that we do not have).

Like most realistic fans, I will happily settle for 22nd place and survival, even playing shite.

Some numbskulls on here should begin living in the real world and start backing the Club, the players and the Manager, instead of constantly knocking them and complaining about every aspect of how the Club is run.

GET REAL
Hodgy will never come back (Thank God)
We have a very limited budget
Colin Todd and the players need support not constant criticism - do you think they are enjoying the current situation ?

DC
Started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left.

dfc-gilesy

Post by dfc-gilesy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am

its been a horrendous start to the season ... id give todd to the end of the month thn if things havent improved thn we say bye to him ..

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:12 am

I will be very disappointed if he doesn't get at least 30 matches. He has taken on a chalice full of poison and now has to put up with more nasty, spiteful venom on this message board from unrealistic, inconsiderate and impatient so-called supporters.

One thing he must curb now is the temptation to "tinker" with the lineup for every game. We have seen our best performances in the Cheltenham and Lincoln (JPT) games so it makes sense to work from those lineups and make a maximum of 1 change.