This is why we have no chance of making the playoffs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Breedon
Team Supported: Darlington

This is why we have no chance of making the playoffs

Post by Breedon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 pm

and the ONLY reason at that. If we didn't s*** ourselves in the last minute of EVERY game we'd be comfortably in the playoffs. Its absolutely ridiculous how often this happens. Way beyond a joke now.

The Love Slug

Re: This is why we have no chance of making the playoffs

Post by The Love Slug » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Every team will expect to score against us late too. We should be ashamed the amount this happens

BeefSpud

Post by BeefSpud » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Why? I'm sure most of us would have been fairly happy with a point before the game. We're still in a decent position and have some winnable games coming up.

Let's not over-react here. We're fifteen games unbeaten aren't we?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Yep, have we ever had to fight from behind in any game? We go 1-0 or 2-0 up in nearly every single bloody away match, and every time, every fucking time, throw it away.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Sorry Breedon, I think I can see your knee jerking
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 pm

thats it we'd be 4th without the last minute goals,good job rushden drew and kiddy drew though.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:43 pm

How can you not over react!? This must be the ninth or tenth time this season and it certainly wont be the last. We have no chance of going up. None whatsoever. That isn't being pessimistic or over reacting in the heat of the moment, its just the truth. The players we have are talented and play some excellent stuff when on form, but they flat out can not handle pressure. Not one iota, and it isn't good enough.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 pm

quakerray wrote:thats it we'd be 4th without the last minute goals,good job rushden drew and kiddy drew though.
We haven't lost any ground tonight. Granted we're not helping ourselves with all these late goals but we're still in with a shout.

Drawing from being 2-0 up is plain wasteful, but lets not go OTT, we're 9 games unbeaten don't forget.

But undoubtedly, Senior needs to start on Saturday

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Sorry Breedon, I think I can see your knee jerking
I've said this from the start. We aren't mentally strong enough to defend leads. You dont go up when you aren't mentally strong.

yardieman

Post by yardieman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 pm

one of my first posts on here i mentioned fitness and how it affects your concetration when youa re tired.

Thats why teams like man utd and barcelona score a lot of late winners, they wear the opponents down, fatigue sets in, and the concentration levels drop.

It isnt a coincidence that this has happened more than once.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Sit in 8th, 8 points off Kidderminster with 3 games in hand on them. With Kidderminster to play at their gaff. We'll be 5 games in hand by the time we have our next league game!

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Breedon in state the obvious negative shocker.
We're still unbeaten, it's disappointing but I doubt the team will have given up on a play off place.
A few tweaks and we'll be back on the surge again!! Stop being so fucking negative, you werent saying fuck all when we were leading, how many on here love it when something like this happens to have a fucking whinge.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quakerray wrote:thats it we'd be 4th without the last minute goals,good job rushden drew and kiddy drew though.
We haven't lost any ground tonight. Granted we're not helping ourselves with all these late goals but we're still in with a shout.

Drawing from being 2-0 up is plain wasteful, but lets not go OTT, we're 9 games unbeaten don't forget.

Senior will have to start, or Campbell - because Michael Smith is cup tied (thankfully)

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

yardieman wrote:one of my first posts on here i mentioned fitness and how it affects your concetration when youa re tired.

Thats why teams like man utd and barcelona score a lot of late winners, they wear the opponents down, fatigue sets in, and the concentration levels drop.

Fuck the Man Utd & Barcelona, there loaded and can afford to buy better training and fitness factilities/techniques.

We are lowly Darlington on a low budget and can't afford bot all.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Senior will have to start, or Campbell - because Michael Smith is cup tied (thankfully)
Every cloud Q

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Breedon wrote:How can you not over react!? This must be the ninth or tenth time this season and it certainly wont be the last. We have no chance of going up. None whatsoever. That isn't being pessimistic or over reacting in the heat of the moment, its just the truth. The players we have are talented and play some excellent stuff when on form, but they flat out can not handle pressure. Not one iota, and it isn't good enough.
Its the 6th:
Bath
Wrexham twice
Forest Green
Tamworth

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Being a goal ahead away from home in injury time is this season's equivalent of conceding a corner with Nick Liversedge in goal. You keep thinking that we can't possibly balls up by conceding again, but we always somehow do.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:51 pm

moodymonica wrote:Breedon in state the obvious negative shocker.
We're still unbeaten, it's disappointing but I doubt the team will have given up on a play off place.
A few tweaks and we'll be back on the surge again!! Stop being so fucking negative, you werent saying fuck all when we were leading, how many on here love it when something like this happens to have a fucking whinge.
I'm the first to be elated and give the lads a big pat on the back when they play well and grind out a result, and I'm certainly not one of those stereotypes who only shows up to whinge. I generally dont post on here much these days however, mainly because of sarcastic, arrogant, stuck up individuals like you who believe they have the right to condescend to everyone they disagree with.

yardieman

Post by yardieman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 pm

a draw is a good result but given the circumstances it feels like a loss. I think darlo will give them a good hammering in front of a bumper crowd and hopefully win back a few of the stay away supporters.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 pm

yardieman wrote:one of my first posts on here i mentioned fitness and how it affects your concetration when youa re tired.

That's a fair point to be honest. The commentary tonight mentioned Darlo "running out of steam". I dont know, its really hard to take. Everytime we put ourselves in a position to get back into the playoff hunt we blow it by throwing away points. The most frustrating thing is on ability we are more than good enough to get out of this division, its the mental edge that we lack. As you mention, maybe fatigue is to do with it aswell.

yardieman

Post by yardieman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:08 pm

The players are playign a lot of games becasue of the FA Trophy.

It may well be that we dont make it to the final and all the extra games casue us to miss out on the play offs. Unfortunately there isnt the luxury of a sqaud rotation system at Darlo.

Im hoping we win the cup and scrape into the play offs with a last minute winner on the final day ... how ironic that would be

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 pm

yardieman wrote:The players are playign a lot of games becasue of the FA Trophy.

It may well be that we dont make it to the final and all the extra games casue us to miss out on the play offs. Unfortunately there isnt the luxury of a sqaud rotation system at Darlo.

Im hoping we win the cup and scrape into the play offs with a last minute winner on the final day ... how ironic that would be
It wouldn't be ironic at all.

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 pm

yardieman wrote:Im hoping we win the cup and scrape into the play offs with a last minute winner on the final day ... how ironic that would be
Not ironic, but it would be nice.

yardieman

Post by yardieman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:
yardieman wrote:The players are playign a lot of games becasue of the FA Trophy.

It wouldn't be ironic at all.
quakerz, your posts always bering a smile to my face. Not sure why, but they do.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Senior will have to start, or Campbell - because Michael Smith is cup tied (thankfully)[/quote]

Why is being unable to hold onto a two goal lead Michael Smith's fault! How many times have we thrown it away when he hasn't played and Senior has? We have an experienced Midfield and defence, and perhaps it should be those you ask the questions of. Same happened on Saturday only without punishment - last quarter of the game we sit deeper and deeper, as if this will guarantee we hold on. How many times do we have to prove it doesn't before it sinks in !!

mobi

Post by mobi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:21 pm

It is a psychological problem rather than one of individual ability. As soon as we conceded the penalty we stopped playing the way we had been and became cautious. Our attention switched from scoring another to not conceding one. because of this fear, they always seem to end up sitting deeper and deeper and on the rare occasions they do get into the opposition half they start trying to hold the ball in the corners.

I don't think we lack talent or ability, but this habit of conceding late goals has become a huge factor in the player's minds. Cooper has to deal with this issue though, that's what he is paid to do.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Senior will have to start, or Campbell - because Michael Smith is cup tied (thankfully)

Why is being unable to hold onto a two goal lead Michael Smith's fault! How many times have we thrown it away when he hasn't played and Senior has? We have an experienced Midfield and defence, and perhaps it should be those you ask the questions of. Same happened on Saturday only without punishment - last quarter of the game we sit deeper and deeper, as if this will guarantee we hold on. How many times do we have to prove it doesn't before it sinks in !![/quote]

I just fancied blaming Michael Smith. Every time I've seen him play we've missed opportunities to score because he dithers. To be fair to the lad he's getting better though!

Point being if we are up the other end attacking it is relieving the pressure on the defenders who must have a mental block about last minute set pieces now.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 pm

mobi wrote:It is a psychological problem rather than one of individual ability. As soon as we conceded the penalty we stopped playing the way we had been and became cautious. Our attention switched from scoring another to not conceding one. because of this fear, they always seem to end up sitting deeper and deeper and on the rare occasions they do get into the opposition half they start trying to hold the ball in the corners.

I don't think we lack talent or ability, but this habit of conceding late goals has become a huge factor in the player's minds. Cooper has to deal with this issue though, that's what he is paid to do.
Spot on. I think when players go into the last few minutes one goal up they believe they're going to concede now and get ridiculously flustered in situations that up until those last few minutes they'd defended comfortably. I really hope Cooper has the ace up his sleeve required to address this issue. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one under pressure to sort such a specific problem out, but it really does need sorting.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 pm

yardieman wrote:
Weird isn't it? I don't know why we don't just play like Barcelona in these situations.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 pm

fat tony wrote:
yardieman wrote:
Weird isn't it? I don't know why we don't just play like Barcelona in these situations.
:lol: :clap: