favourite ever darlo player

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: favourite ever darlo player

Post by Big Tim » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:37 am

From who i've actually seen play for darlo (from about 06-07 onwards) i'd have to say Miller for me. Got a goal on his debut for us i beleive ( not 100% on that) and was one of the 2 senior players that stayed loyal to the club. The fact that he has also acheived the captaincy is a big bonus.

SuperQuaker

Post by SuperQuaker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 am

One of my favourite players was the late, great Pedro Paulo. Didn't have the longest of spells at Darlo, but he was an absolute pleasure to watch. Every time he got the ball at his feet he would make a complete fool out of an unsuspecting opposition player. Then go back and do it again just because he could! Probably the most skillful Darlo player ever, his crossing left a lot to be desired though.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:55 am

Difficult to choose - been watching Darlo for over 30 years now, but..

Jason de Vos
Darren Roberts
Marco Gabbiadini
Mark Prudoe
David Speedie
Neil Wainwright

Thinking about it if we could pick our all time best 11 and they were all fit and at the best of their game, we would be unstoppable in the lower leagues!
COME ON DARLO!

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 am

This is difficult though I have it down to 2

Big Jason DeVos and Joey Hutchinson

Its interesting to see how many people have gone with the more recent players, I know mine arent from too long ago, but it seems most are within the last 5 years!

SuperQuaker

Post by SuperQuaker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:57 am

Some people actually put Darren Roberts in their worst ever Darlo players in a thread some time ago. I could barely believe what I read, as he was indeed a great servant to this club in his time here.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

quakerforever

Post by quakerforever » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:37 am

Eaststandbaldie wrote:Peter Graham :thumbup:
Was going to say Peter Graham but thought no one on here would remember him! - great player, fantastic first touch and running off the ball was light years ahead of his teammates. I remember a hat-trick against Lincoln City, a chip from outside the box, a half volley with his back to goal and a header, which was probably his best game for Darlo. Similar to Pavel Abbot in many ways except he put in the appearances rather than spending his career in the treatment room!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 am

Favourite AND best - Craig Liddle
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:42 am

KCChiefs wrote:Such a hard call, i've gone for players that i really looked forward to watching on Saturday (or midweek for that matter!) and rarely let me down....

Alan Walsh
David Currie
Robbie Blake
Marco Gabiadinni
Craig Liddle
Can't disagree with those

Haji el Maveric

Post by Haji el Maveric » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 pm

As a former winger myself in schoolboy football its got to be Alan Walsh, the Chris Waddle of Division Four! Except, unlike Waddle, he didn't blaze his penalty kicks over the bar.
I remember watching him play for Bristol City in some cup game on the crappy portable TV in my bedsit in Birmingham during the 1980s. Knowing his game from watching him week in week out at Darlo I just sensed what was coming next, unlike the poor fullback who obviously wasn't familiar with him. "He's going to do his step-over any minute!" And sure enough he did and left the fullback scratching his head while Walshy surged to the bye-line. "He's spotted the centre forward and now he's going to deliver a pin-point cross on his head!" Bang, goal. Simple.
I remember another incident at the Polam Lane end. Darlo were awarded an indirect free-kick inside the box which meant all the defenders stood on the goalline. "Are they mental?" I thought to myself, knowing just how hard Walshy would hit the ball. "If any of them get a touch on it they'll be concussed!" No need to fear for their safety, though, as after the ball was laid off Walshy hit it like an Exocet right into the roof of the net. Quality.

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:09 pm

With Walshy a free kick just outside the box was as good as a penalty. Never seen anyone hit a ball so hard.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Did anyone else like Richard Hodgson, or was that just me?

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 pm

The local tanning shop and purveyors of magic hats probably liked him

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Alan Walsh

TheFriendlyFan

Post by TheFriendlyFan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Heaney
Ravenhill
Nogan

Tino Asprilla :silent: :o ( :roll: )

SimonShaw'sLoveChild

Post by SimonShaw'sLoveChild » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 pm

nogan? he was rubbish.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Could have been Alan Walsh, who was one of the few reasons to watch Darlo when I started going. 4 goals against the hangers lives on in the memory even now, and has been mentioned, a fearsome shot.

However, for sheer genius, it has to be David Currie. His work ethic wouldn't go down well with those who worship forwards who run around chasing lost causes and being brave, but what he could do with a football knocks everyone else I've seen at Darlo into a cocked hat, Gabbas and Abbot included.

As the name suggests, always had a soft spot for Harry Charlton. Shite player, but always likely to twat the biggest bloke on the oppositions team, despite weighing about 6 stone wet through.

Jonny85

Post by Jonny85 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:14 pm

SimonShaw'sLoveChild wrote:nogan? he was rubbish.

Give over!!

Jonny85

Post by Jonny85 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:14 pm

Adam Reed, Darren Roberts, Andy Crosby

darlocraig

Post by darlocraig » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Favourite two players:
Craig Liddle
Marco Gabbiadini

Other Mentions:
Sean Gregan
Mark Prudhoe
Darren Roberts
Robbie Painter
Glen Naylor
David Currie
Andy Collett
Jason DeVos
Sam Russell
Andy Crosby

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Definatly Marco Gabbiadini since ive been watching which will be back to 1990 or so!

More recently probably Pawel Abbott, Not as good as Marco though and far to often he wasnt on the pitch. Another player I dont think has been mentioned was Gary Bannister who played in the 96 play off campaign and was a class above for that season. Matty Appleby from the 96 campaign as well, Didnt he score about 10 times breaking from the back!?? Collett has been the best keeper ive seen and as mentioned in an earlier post, That performance against the poolies was the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen. For a centre half its got to be Craig Liddle, Notable mention to Steve Foster as well in more recent times.

Darlo_G

Post by Darlo_G » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Mario Dorner
Jesper Hjorth
Pedro Paulo
Marco Gabbiadini
Steve Mardenborough

Stan_Darlo

Post by Stan_Darlo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Mor Diop- absolute legend.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Stan_Darlo wrote:Mor Diop- absolute legend.

Ross Chisholm. Numero Uno.

bodran47

Post by bodran47 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Jonny85 wrote:
SimonShaw'sLoveChild wrote:nogan? he was rubbish.

Give over!!

Nogan was a let down that season after coming with a bit of hype. Duffield did his best but if we'd had a more prolific second striker that season we'd have cruised it in my opinion.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:33 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Could have been Alan Walsh, who was one of the few reasons to watch Darlo when I started going. 4 goals against the hangers lives on in the memory even now, and has been mentioned, a fearsome shot.

However, for sheer genius, it has to be David Currie. His work ethic wouldn't go down well with those who worship forwards who run around chasing lost causes and being brave, but what he could do with a football knocks everyone else I've seen at Darlo into a cocked hat, Gabbas and Abbot included.

As the name suggests, always had a soft spot for Harry Charlton. Shite player, but always likely to twat the biggest bloke on the oppositions team, despite weighing about 6 stone wet through.
Aaahhhh, Harry Charlton . . . alway top of my list for being the worst Darlo player ever (his cat was probably a better footballer). For entertainment value, it would have to be Gabbas and Currie . . . with Gabbas shading it, 50 goals in two seasons - and the way he scored some of them, magical

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:36 pm

David Currie is the best player to ever pull on a Darlo shirt. He was just incredible, he really was.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlointoronto

Post by darlointoronto » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 am

87-97 was my darlo watching time, so only saw currie a few times but he was definitely very good.
mark prudhoe
jimmy willis
sean gregan
jason de vos

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:09 am

Craig Russell

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:16 am

I'll give you three guesses. :roll:

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 am

I'm sorry you cant put Darren Roberts in the same League as Marco Goalo !! unbelievable....

Having said that i liked Roberts and he always gave 100%.

Re:Lee Nogan, i though he got a harsh treatment from Darlo fans and overshadowed by Gabbas, a clever player with a good touch. Always better playing off another striker - not as the main one and this was clearly evident at the start of the 00-01 season.