Interesting article on Rangers "newco"

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

CSJambo
Team Supported: Heart of Midlothian

Re: Interesting article on Rangers "newco"

Post by CSJambo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

heads up it is all about to explode in scotland... big time.

Darlo_George_96
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 pm

I dont understand why teams would vote for Rangers not to stay in SPL. They are all gona miss some big cash next season
@George_S96

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 pm

I’d say that it’s the relative money that’s important not absolute money (meaning that although most clubs will have less money overall than the last season, compared to the league average every team will be richer).

If this happened to Celtic as well Scottish football would be worth watching.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 am

I see Rangers are having a dig at the players choosing not to transfer, saying that they are being disrespectful, and denying Rangers transfer money by doing so.

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Rangers always did want to play in England.

Now they'll get their chance when they visit Berwick…
Last edited by grytters on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring Back the Quarters

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Sky are apologising to subscribers for saying they can watch Rangers in 3D next season. They really meant D3!

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:35 pm

This should be over in the Off-Topic page.

Also British Football is Now Dead !

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:31 am

I do wonder how our FA would have handled this if it was a premiership club in the same situation. I really doubt that they'd have the balls to treat one of our big clubs this way! Chelsea in L2? I just think they'd bottle it and rewrite the rules.

Just got to smile at the bloke on tv who placed a huge bet on Celtic to win 4 SPL titles in a row, just weeks before rangers issues were announced!

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:21 am

loan_star wrote:Sky are apologising to subscribers for saying they can watch Rangers in 3D next season. They really meant D3!
Fantastic!

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:45 am

I caught something on the radio, but didn't really understand it. Apparently the powers that be are considering an 'SPL2' which Rangers might be invited to compete in?

Did anyone catch the full story? how serious is that proposal?

I'm not sure that Scottish Football will totally die. twice a season, Division 3 clubs are going to get a windfall like they never had before, so at least there will be slightly more money at the lower echelons, even if it means the SPL will lose out!

Real question though, is how long they can survive as a D3 club while playing at Ibrox, and how much they will charge for tickets. They are going to be working to a pretty strict budget, even with huge and loyal support.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 pm

DL_Fourteen wrote:I'm not sure that Scottish Football will totally die. twice a season, Division 3 clubs are going to get a windfall like they never had before, so at least there will be slightly more money at the lower echelons, even if it means the SPL will lose out!

Real question though, is how long they can survive as a D3 club while playing at Ibrox, and how much they will charge for tickets. They are going to be working to a pretty strict budget, even with huge and loyal support.
Scottish football will not die. The talk is of them expanding the SPL out into 16 teams which will come about in I think 2014/15. Where will the new co rangers be at that point. Havn't heard of an SPL2 - they will also be looking to integrate a pyramid system so I think more opportunity for the Scottish non-leagues (not Juniors) to join the league. That was what I took from a brief read of the website the other day.

2012/13 - promotion to division 2
2013/14 - promotion to division 1
2014/15 - competing in Scottish division 1 (change comes in)...

now there are rules in Scotland to compete in the SPL you must have a 10,000 capacity stadium, not many teams meet this criteria this is why Aberdeen have survived relegation on a couple of occasions. So what is the likelihood that on the season that it goes to a 16 team league The Rangers happen to be the 'next' applicable team in the pecking order that can compete in the new Premier League. So they actually only have 2 seasons away.

Rangers will survive just fine at Ibrox - they will in all likelihood still fill the place. They sell out most weeks I believe and the only difference is they will be able to reduce away ticket allocation down. If they charge £8-£10 for a ticket (then you have £400k-£500k revenue every other week) they could pay players (squad of 20) £10k per week and they will still have money to spare from ticket revenues, never mind everything else that get them revenue!

Tell you who must be rubbing their hands in glee...Queens Park. An amateur team so no outlay for players besides their expenses...they play at a stadium which holds 52,000 in Glasgow. That's going to be a decent little earner for their owners!

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:00 pm

SPL capacity rules was dropped a few seasons ago to 6000 - it used to be 10K.

Rangers will do just fine whatever league we start in, can't say the same for others but that is their lookout!

Sadly this story isn't finished yet, probably still more twists to come now that the SFL clubs have quite rightly refused to bow to the pressure from the SPL clubs and admit Rangers to SFL1.

The SPL clubs are a disgrace - they rejected Rangers but then tried to pressure the other clubs to put them at SFL1 so the SPL would be able to keep their TV and Sponsorship revenues. What a cheek. Now there are claims 4 or 5 SPL clubs could enter administration if/when Sky pull out.

DB

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:26 am

From the Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... sfeed=true

More and more football seems to edge towards a US style franchise system. IF (and its a big IF) this is passed in Scotland, I can see the English Premier League starting a EPL2. No relegation below that point, and two small divisions (14 teams in each???) comprising of nominated top championship clubs, and the current Premiership.

Result... the big teams play each other more often (Playing Man United/City/Chelsea 4x a season, means more TV money for all the teams in the clique).

Meanwhile the rest of professional football rots away. All TV funding for the clubs outside EPL1/EPL2 disappears. Top clubs outside the 'Premier Leagues' can only get into the club by election and we get an old boys club in the upper echelons.
The football league eventually goes part time...

Seriously, I can see this coming.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 am

DL_Fourteen wrote:More and more football seems to edge towards a US style franchise system. IF (and its a big IF) this is passed in Scotland, I can see the English Premier League starting a EPL2. No relegation below that point, and two small divisions (14 teams in each???) comprising of nominated top championship clubs, and the current Premiership.

Result... the big teams play each other more often (Playing Man United/City/Chelsea 4x a season, means more TV money for all the teams in the clique).

Meanwhile the rest of professional football rots away. All TV funding for the clubs outside EPL1/EPL2 disappears. Top clubs outside the 'Premier Leagues' can only get into the club by election and we get an old boys club in the upper echelons.
The football league eventually goes part time...
Ok so the Premier League start an EPL2 which removes 10 teams from the pyramid. (Man U, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool + 4 more) - if you have any more than that then they won't be able to play 4 times each per season (remember Scotland with 12 teams is down to 2 and then the split which gives a third).

If they don't have promotion/relegation why would there be another division there would be only 1 division surely - dont really understand why they would have a second division!?

If these teams go into the EPL2 they lose out on their Champions League Football with immediate effect. It is the FA after all who are offered places in the Champions League (is it not!?) but hey ho maybe financially it will be worth it.

These 10 clubs would also have to set up their own Football Association which would be rather expensive I would imagine and it's a risk - if it doesn't work they have sacrificed their FA membership.

Your post makes it sounds like the worst thing ever. If FL went PT again and everyone was in the same boat...so what!? I don't remember because I am not old enough but enough people have said how good the amateur game used to be in England and how well supported it was. Lets go back to that.

How much money is lost in our economy to footballers, footballers who have too much money to actually spend so that money just leaves circulation. If things went to PT maybe the whole country would be better off.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm

It would work about better IF the premier league went and broke the league up into two divisions one called the "North Division" & "South Division" of 10 teams each. Playing each team in their disvison twice with two teams getting relegated to the Championship each season and 4 teams of each division entering into a playoff knockout finals tournament with the Final being played at Wembley Stadium.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Talking about football in this Country, do we really need 5 national Divisions in this Country, no country I can think of with a similar population to us has this many national divisions, I think Germany goes down the 3rd Bundesliga, France has a couple of National Divisions as does Spain.

Our League system should realy be regional under the Championship with League 1 and League 2 being merged into a Regional Setup(League 1 North and South), The Conference should fully Regionalise there Divisions, with Northern, Southern and Midlands divisions, and keep on going till you reach the bottom of the Pyramid, In the non-League System, I would get rid of Step 2(Conference North) as it would merge with Step 1, some of the travel further down the Pyramid is absolutely shocking, look at Celtic Nation, Whitehaven in the Northern League or Cleator Moor, Kirkbymoorside in the Wearside League.

It should look like this

Level 1: Premiership
Level 2: Championship
Level 3: League 1 North and South
Level 4: Football Conference North, South, Midlands(Made up of teams from the Blue Square Premier and Blue Square North and South)
Level 5: North East, North West, South East(incl. London) South West(Made up of teams from the Present Step 3 and 4)
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 am

I think as more clubs hit financial difficulties a restructuring of the leagues is pretty much inevitable, especially at the lower levels.

Sadly I can also see the premiership/top championship clubs breaking away as well. Since the formation of the Premier League and the SKY generation, the richer clubs have got richer, and the poorer clubs have got further in debt trying to keep up. I really think its only a matter of time before money talks and the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal breakaway to a Euroleague or exclusive EPL1/EPL2 scenario.

Though I expect it will be later rather than sooner.

PS - lo
Ok so the Premier League start an EPL2 which removes 10 teams from the pyramid. (Man U, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool + 4 more) - if you have any more than that then they won't be able to play 4 times each per season
- If the money is there, they will find a way. A couple of extra big revenue games will justify it. The people who will make the decisions will be TV Executives and Club Owners, not players or managers.

If they don't have promotion/relegation why would there be another division there would be only 1 division surely - dont really understand why they would have a second division!?
2 Divisions keeps the top teams apart and playing each other in big money 'Super Sunday' games. Keeping clubs like Wigan in EPL2 means they don't need to ever show the lower interest games like Blackburn vs Wolves on TV, and means they can show Man Utd vs Chelsea 4x a season.

If these teams go into the EPL2 they lose out on their Champions League Football with immediate effect. It is the FA after all who are offered places in the Champions League

The FA are spineless as we well know. Can you not see the FA changing the rules if need be? They have already allowed Sky to manipulate the traditional game, why not let them continue?

These 10 clubs would also have to set up their own Football Association which would be rather expensive I would imagine and it's a risk - if it doesn't work they have sacrificed their FA membership.
I'm not saying they would sacrifice anything. I'm suggesting our gutless FA would willingly allow this to happen. Again, money talks... And our current 'Premiership' clubs are still part of the FA are they not?

Your post makes it sounds like the worst thing ever. If FL went PT again and everyone was in the same boat...so what!? I don't remember because I am not old enough but enough people have said how good the amateur game used to be in England and how well supported it was. Lets go back to that.
- As a Darlo fan, a stable lower league (be it part time or not) is what we can all hope for. I hate seeing clubs in admin. But it shouldn't come at the expense of the multimillion pound premiership. The balance of funding in football is already hugely top heavy, if the Premiership did break away it would be even more so. That money would generate more hype, more publicity, more TV coverage and the lower leagues would go from full time, to part time, to amateur, to ceasing to exist. Which would be tragic.

How much money is lost in our economy to footballers, footballers who have too much money to actually spend so that money just leaves circulation. If things went to PT maybe the whole country would be better off.
- And that, is the root of the problem. If the Premiership continues the way it is, its not going to improve. We need the bubble to burst and politicians to realise that football is a game or past-time, not an industry that justifies £70k a week.