A Rant

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Leshodge
Team Supported: Darlington

A Rant

Post by Leshodge » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:16 pm

First of all, I would just like to wish everyone a Happy New Year.
I thought this season was going to be exciting, but I must say it's lovely to be in the position we are in now. For so many years we had nothing but misery - we did have some good times with Hodgy and Penny - but it's lovely to go and watch knowing that you are going to win.

Now for the rant.... I was appalled today watching the Liverpool game. I am a great lover of Liverpool, they aren't my first team, but I always like them to do well, however, today watching the hand balls of which there were possibly 4 shouts, one definitely and then the infamous 'goal'. Now, he could have put his hands up and said sorry, it went in off my hand and all it would have meant was they replayed, which would have made both clubs some extra revenue, although I doubt Liverpool would need it. But when he kissed his hand that he knocked the ball in with, I thought that was appalling.

We have had our fair share of dodgy decisions in the past, but a team like Liverpool playing a team that aren't even in the League, they should have principles. Suarez should be ashamed of himself. Professional sportsman he is not.

Rant over :evil:

Ron

Re: A Rant

Post by Ron » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:29 pm

I went on hoping to watch Bloody Geohagan taken to pieces. Wound up nearly feeling sorry for Mansfield.(Just could not manage to feel sorry for someone who employs him).

Totally agree re' the cheat, and yes, kissing his fist made it worse.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Its his standard celebration, kissing a tattoo on his wrist. Theres plenty others do the same. It wont have had anything to do with any handball.

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Yeah, he kissed his tattoo, nothing sinister!!

thomo27

Post by thomo27 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Its his standard celebration

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:44 pm

I'd like to complain about Les's constant abuse of the referee during yesterday's game :lol:

thomo27

Post by thomo27 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Big Tim wrote:I'd like to complain about Les's constant abuse of the referee during yesterday's game :lol:
Really Les??? I thought ref did ok yesterday even when they tried to show a bit of passion in the way of kicking us off the park I thought he held his own..

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:51 pm

thomo27 wrote:
Big Tim wrote:I'd like to complain about Les's constant abuse of the referee during yesterday's game :lol:
Really Les??? I thought ref did ok yesterday even when they tried to show a bit of passion in the way of kicking us off the park I thought he held his own..
:lol:

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Anyone who thinks Suarez cheated today knows fuck all. Incompetent officials cost Mansfield, not an act of cheating. Clear handball yes, but (IMO) 80/20 in favour of completely accidental.

As others have said, standard celebration followed, and if you follow LFC as closely as you say Les, surely you'd know that right?

I don't particularly like Suarez, but he's not done a Maradona, or a Rivaldo etc.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Leshodge

Post by Leshodge » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:10 pm

If it is a standard goal celebration, fair enough, but he still should have been a sportsman.
I will stop hassling the referee and the oppositions goalkeeper, of that I promise, until the next game - ha, ha!

number_one

Post by number_one » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Predictable reverse little club attitude, had a Mansfield player scored like that to knock Liverpool out no-one (other than reds) would have said a thing.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm not a fan of Suarez but I think it was purely accidental, the ball went in and I don't think he'd have complained in the slightest if the referee had blown for handball. He looked slightly embarrassed about it in my opinion, but it's not really in a striker's head to "unclaim" a goal.

Well done to Mansfield in the 2nd half - thought they were going to get trounced after the first goal went in (and I half wanted them to because of you know who) but it's good that they made a game of it and their fans will have gone home with their heads up, unlike when we got stuffed at Bradford once.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Leshodge wrote:If it is a standard goal celebration, fair enough, but he still should have been a sportsman.
I will stop hassling the referee and the oppositions goalkeeper, of that I promise, until the next game - ha, ha!
Wrong to single just him out though, every single football match has an act of kidology, be it diving, false appeals, whatever. Even yesterday the Shields keeper said our disallowed goal wasn't offside - would that make him a cheat for not stating this to the ref or Lino?

Unfortunately sportsmanship in football does not extend to that extent, though it does exist in plenty of other areas.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Mr Pip
Team Supported: Marske Utd

Post by Mr Pip » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Leshodge wrote:First of all, I would just like to wish everyone a Happy New Year.
I thought this season was going to be exciting, but I must say it's lovely to be in the position we are in now. For so many years we had nothing but misery - we did have some good times with Hodgy and Penny - but it's lovely to go and watch knowing that you are going to win.

Now for the rant.... I was appalled today watching the Liverpool game. I am a great lover of Liverpool, they aren't my first team, but I always like them to do well, however, today watching the hand balls of which there were possibly 4 shouts, one definitely and then the infamous 'goal'. Now, he could have put his hands up and said sorry, it went in off my hand and all it would have meant was they replayed, which would have made both clubs some extra revenue, although I doubt Liverpool would need it. But when he kissed his hand that he knocked the ball in with, I thought that was appalling.

We have had our fair share of dodgy decisions in the past, but a team like Liverpool playing a team that aren't even in the League, they should have principles. Suarez should be ashamed of himself. Professional sportsman he is not.

Rant over :evil:
I believe he has a tattoo on his wrist. Hence the kiss. Plus the 4th official was told that the handball wasn't deemed deliberate who then relayed this info to Rodgers.
Plus if it was Darlo player this thread wouldn't exist.

LoidMaitland
Team Supported: Barnstoneworth United

Post by LoidMaitland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:43 pm

But he isn't a Darlo player, just a cheating c***. He has a long record of it - remember the World Cup handball. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 am

Suarez is being a little unfairly victimised here I think.

a)If you look at his motion as the ball hits he moves he arm backwards as if trying to get it out of the way, he certainly doesn't move it towards the ball as the commentators were suggesting.

b) His celebration is his normal one.

His reaction as he hit the ball suggested he was waiting to be blown up for handball it was the assistant who should have spotted it. Not sure where he/she was at the time, if they were up with the play then it should have been on their side (assuming that they were outside rights as is the norm!?)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 am

Mullet69 wrote:Anyone who thinks Suarez cheated today knows fuck all. Incompetent officials cost Mansfield, not an act of cheating. Clear handball yes, but (IMO) 80/20 in favour of completely accidental.

As others have said, standard celebration followed, and if you follow LFC as closely as you say Les, surely you'd know that right?

I don't particularly like Suarez, but he's not done a Maradona, or a Rivaldo etc.
Cheating/intentional or not, a hand ball is a hand ball. It does my head in when people say 'not intentional', or 'ball to hand' as if that makes it ok. Chris Kamara is always bleating on about in on Goals on Sunday, saying he thinks 90% of handballs in the area are accidental so shouldn't be given. I dare say 90% of fouls in the area are also not intentional.

Accidental or not, if a players hand alters the travel of the ball from what it would've been if the hand wasn't there, it is a free-kick/penalty. Just like accidental or not, a players leg kicks another players leg and knocks him over without taking the ball it is a foul.

It is not about intent, it is about the laws of the game.

Saurez is a nasty little grotbag and a great player. I haven't seen the incident yesterday but it does sound a little like it's being blown out of all proportion because of who it was, and because it was a David and Goliath type FA Cup tie.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 am

the rule is a deliberate handball is an offence.

in terms of application though the communication from Fifa has been that if the players arm/hand is in an "un-natural position" then it is an offence.

Arms above the head, arms stuck completely out to the side etc. they don't need to be there, it may be completely unintentional but that is a handball. I prefer to think of handballs in that manner rather than intent nowadays.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:33 pm

My opinion is that if the ball strikes an arm/hand in a position such that if that arm/hand was not there the ball would've hit a 'legal' part of the body anyway, then unless that hand is used to 'control' the ball in some way, it shouldn't be an offense.

If the ball hits the arm/hand and that changes the direction of travel, and it otherwise would've continued travelling freely, then it is hand ball offense regardless of intent, and regardless of whether the offending player gains an advantage. If they don't, the referee is perfectly entitled to play advantage as they would for a foul.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Spyman wrote:My opinion is that if the ball strikes an arm/hand in a position such that if that arm/hand was not there the ball would've hit a 'legal' part of the body anyway, then unless that hand is used to 'control' the ball in some way, it shouldn't be an offense.

If the ball hits the arm/hand and that changes the direction of travel, and it otherwise would've continued travelling freely, then it is hand ball offense regardless of intent, and regardless of whether the offending player gains an advantage. If they don't, the referee is perfectly entitled to play advantage as they would for a foul.
Well your opinion doesn't matter. The rule is that if it is deliberate then it's a handball. Apparently referees also interpret this to mean when the hand is in an unnatural position, plus players can deceive the referee into thinking it wasn't deliberate when it was, but the rules don't specify in that regard.

Kamara et al keep banging on about it because that's what the rule is.
Spyman wrote:It is not about intent, it is about the laws of the game.
Right, and the laws of the game state that it has to be deliberate.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 pm

I dont think it was deliberate at all. Suarez is getting a good slagging for no reason other than playing to the whistle. Its the ref who should be getting a slagging for missing it.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm

loan_star wrote:I dont think it was deliberate at all. Suarez is getting a good slagging for no reason other than playing to the whistle. Its the ref who should be getting a slagging for missing it.
Agreed, the officials should be answering about this, it is there job to see shite like this, maybe we need to bring extra officials like the Europa League and put linos on the goal line.

It looked to me that when Suarez handled, he was half expecting to have conceded a free kick, he initally did not think a goal was about to be awarded in my opinion.

Mansfield were robbed by the officials, not by Luis Suarez, it pains me to say that, because I cannot stand him, fair play to Mansfield though, they were very gracious in defeat.

If one of our players scored a goal like that, would people be saying 'oh well, he should have told the referee he handled it' dont think that will happen anywhere
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:My opinion is that if the ball strikes an arm/hand in a position such that if that arm/hand was not there the ball would've hit a 'legal' part of the body anyway, then unless that hand is used to 'control' the ball in some way, it shouldn't be an offense.

Well your opinion doesn't matter. The rule is that if it is deliberate then it's a handball. Apparently referees also interpret this to mean when the hand is in an unnatural position, plus players can deceive the referee into thinking it wasn't deliberate when it was, but the rules don't specify in that regard.

Kamara et al keep banging on about it because that's what the rule is.
Spyman wrote:It is not about intent, it is about the laws of the game.
Right, and the laws of the game state that it has to be deliberate.
I didn't say my opinion mattered, but of course a 'deliberate' hand ball is an offence - that's stating the bloody obvious. Its such a stupid wording for the rule though, as unless we sit the player down for a lie detector test mid-match, we don't really know what is and isn't deliberate. The player will almost always claim it was not deliberate, and the 'law' doesn't give a clear indication - it is almost entirely down to the referee's discretion.

My suggestion, whether the correct application of the rule or not, is far more logical and enforcement would be much more straightforward (although still obviously not 100%). Hemce why I was bringing it to the discussion rather than just being a smart arse little fuckend.

DC

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:
loan_star wrote:I dont think it was deliberate at all. Suarez is getting a good slagging for no reason other than playing to the whistle. Its the ref who should be getting a slagging for missing it.
Agreed, the officials should be answering about this, it is there job to see shite like this, maybe we need to bring extra officials like the Europa League and put linos on the goal line.
As long as they actually do something, sure. I've watched a few Europa League and Champions League games and I don't think I've EVER seen those goal-line assistants contribute anything of value.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Spyman wrote:but of course a 'deliberate' hand ball is an offence - that's stating the bloody obvious.
I know, but my point was that the rule states it HAS to be deliberate.
Spyman wrote:I didn't say my opinion mattered, but of course a 'deliberate' hand ball is an offence - that's stating the bloody obvious. Its such a stupid wording for the rule though, as unless we sit the player down for a lie detector test mid-match, we don't really know what is and isn't deliberate. The player will almost always claim it was not deliberate, and the 'law' doesn't give a clear indication - it is almost entirely down to the referee's discretion.

My suggestion, whether the correct application of the rule or not, is far more logical and enforcement would be much more straightforward (although still obviously not 100%).
Well the same can be said about numerous other rules, such as diving. Of course we can't always tell for definite whether the player was being dishonest, and it is down to the referee's discretion, but that's what he's there for.

Your suggestion isn't as great as you think, either. It is such a grey area that to just say ALL handballs are fouls, if they alter the trajectory of the ball, is ridiculous. What if the ball is hammered/bounces forward/up and you have no time to move your hand? What if an attacker deliberately tries to hit your hand with the ball?

I think the current system, where it is down to the referee's interpretation of whether it is deliberate or not, is fine. They already take into account whether the arm was in an unnatural position anyways.
Spyman wrote: Hemce why I was bringing it to the discussion rather than just being a smart arse little fuckend.
You made your point well enough without having to add this bit, but cheers for that. I thought we had a bit more mutual respect between us by now for there to be no need for this type of s*** but clearly I was wrong.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:18 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:but of course a 'deliberate' hand ball is an offence - that's stating the bloody obvious.
I know, but my point was that the rule states it HAS to be deliberate.
Spyman wrote:I didn't say my opinion mattered, but of course a 'deliberate' hand ball is an offence - that's stating the bloody obvious. Its such a stupid wording for the rule though, as unless we sit the player down for a lie detector test mid-match, we don't really know what is and isn't deliberate. The player will almost always claim it was not deliberate, and the 'law' doesn't give a clear indication - it is almost entirely down to the referee's discretion.

My suggestion, whether the correct application of the rule or not, is far more logical and enforcement would be much more straightforward (although still obviously not 100%).
Well the same can be said about numerous other rules, such as diving. Of course we can't always tell for definite whether the player was being dishonest, and it is down to the referee's discretion, but that's what he's there for.

Your suggestion isn't as great as you think, either. It is such a grey area that to just say ALL handballs are fouls, if they alter the trajectory of the ball, is ridiculous. What if the ball is hammered/bounces forward/up and you have no time to move your hand? What if an attacker deliberately tries to hit your hand with the ball?

I think the current system, where it is down to the referee's interpretation of whether it is deliberate or not, is fine. They already take into account whether the arm was in an unnatural position anyways.
Spyman wrote: Hemce why I was bringing it to the discussion rather than just being a smart arse little fuckend.
You made your point well enough without having to add this bit, but cheers for that. I thought we had a bit more mutual respect between us by now for there to be no need for this type of s*** but clearly I was wrong.
Don't have time to split all the quotes up, but if it HAS to be deliberate, then how can a referee ever give any hand ball? He can never be sure that a handball is deliberate, short of a player catching a ball in his hands. If there's no way of knowing 100% that something is deliberate, then you can't punish it if the rule is that it HAS to be deliberate. My suggestion takes out any ambiguity and just focusses on 'did one team get an advantage over the other by not abiding by the rules of the game'.

Your comparison with diving is not really a fair one - my suggestion that the arm changing the travel of a ball is a line in the sand. There is already one of these in relation to diving - either there was a foul (contact made) or there wasn't. If a player falls over without contact and tries to claim a foul, that is a dive. If they don't try to claim a foul, that is not a dive. In that case it is about intent, as the 'diver' is trying make it look like the opposing player has caused an offence. This isn't the case with a handball. There is just one offence (or not) being judged, rather than two (I appreciate that is a bit of a convaluted explanation, but I think you'll see what I'm trying to get at).

Finally, perhaps my final sentence was a little over the top, in hindsight. But you have a way of coming across like a jumped up little fuckend at times, taking an aggressive tone when you don't need to and have no right to. I'm the first to codone a bit of aggressive discussion, but you've got to get the tone right or else you come across as a bit of a c***. Starting your response with 'Well your opinion doesn't matter', will more often than not lead people to disregard the rest of what you say.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Spyman wrote:Don't have time to split all the quotes up, but if it HAS to be deliberate, then how can a referee ever give any hand ball? He can never be sure that a handball is deliberate, short of a player catching a ball in his hands. If there's no way of knowing 100% that something is deliberate, then you can't punish it if the rule is that it HAS to be deliberate. My suggestion takes out any ambiguity and just focusses on 'did one team get an advantage over the other by not abiding by the rules of the game'.
Well you were banging on about rules and intent etc., and you've just mentioned the "rules of the game" again, yet the rule actually is that it has to be deliberate. As I mentioned previously, referees interpret that to say that if the player's arm is in an unnatural position then that can be classed as deliberate. I'm not making this up.

Also, players can try and deceive the referee by pretending that it was accidental, and you don't have to catch it for it to be deliberate: there's been numerous occasions where I've seen a player control it with his arm and pretend it was his chest, or stick a hand out to the side, or pretend he was heading the ball but really using his arm.
Spyman wrote:Your comparison with diving is not really a fair one - my suggestion that the arm changing the travel of a ball is a line in the sand. There is already one of these in relation to diving - either there was a foul (contact made) or there wasn't. If a player falls over without contact and tries to claim a foul, that is a dive. If they don't try to claim a foul, that is not a dive. In that case it is about intent, as the 'diver' is trying make it look like the opposing player has caused an offence. This isn't the case with a handball. There is just one offence (or not) being judged, rather than two (I appreciate that is a bit of a convaluted explanation, but I think you'll see what I'm trying to get at).
Yes but both are grey areas as diving can be pretty convincing at times, as can defenders pretending to fall over the attacker, or something similar, but really knowing exactly what they are doing; hence my comparison is perfectly relevant.

Your suggestion would make the situation more black and white but it certainly wouldn't make it fairer.
Spyman wrote:Finally, perhaps my final sentence was a little over the top, in hindsight. But you have a way of coming across like a jumped up little fuckend at times, taking an aggressive tone when you don't need to and have no right to. I'm the first to codone a bit of aggressive discussion, but you've got to get the tone right or else you come across as a bit of a c***. Starting your response with 'Well your opinion doesn't matter', will more often than not lead people to disregard the rest of what you say.
You admit that what you said was over the top before laying into me even more than before. Err, what? :crazy:

In response: well so fuck. Instead of taking a little hissy fit because I was blunt or direct or whatever it is you're crying about, how about thinking why I responded in that manner? It's usually because the person I responded to said something utterly ridiculous as if it was gospel.

Oh and less of the condescending character analysis please, I can't be fucking bothered.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't get why people are so outraged by Suarez and his conduct.

Liverpool football club and their fans are the most dispicable things in football - is it that much of a stretch to think their employees are any different.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:Don't have time to split all the quotes up, but if it HAS to be deliberate, then how can a referee ever give any hand ball? He can never be sure that a handball is deliberate, short of a player catching a ball in his hands. If there's no way of knowing 100% that something is deliberate, then you can't punish it if the rule is that it HAS to be deliberate. My suggestion takes out any ambiguity and just focusses on 'did one team get an advantage over the other by not abiding by the rules of the game'.
Well you were banging on about rules and intent etc., and you've just mentioned the "rules of the game" again, yet the rule actually is that it has to be deliberate. As I mentioned previously, referees interpret that to say that if the player's arm is in an unnatural position then that can be classed as deliberate. I'm not making this up.

Also, players can try and deceive the referee by pretending that it was accidental, and you don't have to catch it for it to be deliberate: there's been numerous occasions where I've seen a player control it with his arm and pretend it was his chest, or stick a hand out to the side, or pretend he was heading the ball but really using his arm.
Spyman wrote:Your comparison with diving is not really a fair one - my suggestion that the arm changing the travel of a ball is a line in the sand. There is already one of these in relation to diving - either there was a foul (contact made) or there wasn't. If a player falls over without contact and tries to claim a foul, that is a dive. If they don't try to claim a foul, that is not a dive. In that case it is about intent, as the 'diver' is trying make it look like the opposing player has caused an offence. This isn't the case with a handball. There is just one offence (or not) being judged, rather than two (I appreciate that is a bit of a convaluted explanation, but I think you'll see what I'm trying to get at).
Yes but both are grey areas as diving can be pretty convincing at times, as can defenders pretending to fall over the attacker, or something similar, but really knowing exactly what they are doing; hence my comparison is perfectly relevant.

Your suggestion would make the situation more black and white but it certainly wouldn't make it fairer.
Spyman wrote:Finally, perhaps my final sentence was a little over the top, in hindsight. But you have a way of coming across like a jumped up little fuckend at times, taking an aggressive tone when you don't need to and have no right to. I'm the first to codone a bit of aggressive discussion, but you've got to get the tone right or else you come across as a bit of a c***. Starting your response with 'Well your opinion doesn't matter', will more often than not lead people to disregard the rest of what you say.
You admit that what you said was over the top before laying into me even more than before. Err, what? :crazy:

In response: well so fuck. Instead of taking a little hissy fit because I was blunt or direct or whatever it is you're crying about, how about thinking why I responded in that manner? It's usually because the person I responded to said something utterly ridiculous as if it was gospel.

Oh and less of the condescending character analysis please, I can't be fucking bothered.
On the contrary, it seems you are having a hissy fit and crying, because I insulted you despite our "mutual respect". I wasn't laying in to you, just offering my opinion - take it or leave it, it wasn't intended to offend.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Spyman wrote: On the contrary, it seems you are having a hissy fit and crying, because I insulted you despite our "mutual respect". I wasn't laying in to you, just offering my opinion - take it or leave it, it wasn't intended to offend.
So you said I can be a "jumped up little fuckend" at times, yet you didn't mean to offend. Right... :lol:

Likewise though, I didn't mean to offend with my original post, but a little bluntness can be effective.