Saint David Beckham

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Saint David Beckham

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 pm

"How refreshing for a player to give away his salary for 5 months, really does show those money grabbing players a thing or too". Has anybody elses facebook/twitter feed been inundated with something similar?

How will he survive merely on his endorsement money alone?

Hilly

Re: Saint David Beckham

Post by Hilly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 pm

lo36789 wrote:"How refreshing for a player to give away his salary for 5 months, really does show those money grabbing players a thing or too". Has anybody elses facebook/twitter feed been inundated with something similar?

How will he survive merely on his endorsement money alone?
In fairness he didn't have to do it. Could of just done nothing and nobody would have thought any less of him. Good publicity for him & PSG and the childrens charity gets a massive wedge....don't see anything wrong with that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Oh don't see anything wrong with it per say other than I guess an over reaction to how much he's sacrificing!

Just don't really fall for the he's such an amazing bloke because of this! At the end of the day Didier Drogba ploughs a lot of his money into charity as does Mario Balotelli but suddenly Beckham is the hero and morale saviour of football!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 pm

lo36789 wrote:Oh don't see anything wrong with it per say other than I guess an over reaction to how much he's sacrificing!

Just don't really fall for the he's such an amazing bloke because of this! At the end of the day Didier Drogba ploughs a lot of his money into charity as does Mario Balotelli but suddenly Beckham is the hero and morale saviour of football!
Maybe youve seen more people on facebook overeacting - ive seen no more than people doffing their caps to him and rightfully so.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 pm

He makes more money on interest that is sitting in his bank accounts than the 5 months of pay PSG are paying him. Still nice to see him and others doing it. :wave:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 am

Why are you being critical, it's a good thing. Yes, others do it too.

So fair play to all who help charities around the world :clap:

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:45 am

lo36789 wrote:Oh don't see anything wrong with it per say other than I guess an over reaction to how much he's sacrificing!

I think a lot of African born players are quite charitable given the background they come from. I also read somewhere a while ago Craig Bellamy has also put money into charity in the past.

Fair play to Beckham for doing it, it is not like he needs the money anyway

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 am

Why are you being such a bell end?

He did something he didnt have to, and yet you're putting words in other peoples mouths about him being a 'saviour' and a 'saint'.

So what if he has a shed load of other money coming in - he doesnt have to give a fucking penny to charity if he doesnt want to. For the record he give away loads more every year through his foundations and charitable trusts.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 pm

I am not actually. The hour after the event I think I saw at least 50 Facebook and twitter status' calling him to get a knighthood and saying he was saintly and demonstrated such and immense morale fibre unlike 'every other money grabbing footballer'.

I'd have a lot more respect if he did it on the quiet. The whole thing is a very blatant publicity stunt. Good that the charity get something out of it but I don't believe for a second that Beckham won't make back the salary + some in additional endorsement.

Has his salary even been reported yet?

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm

So with his years of service to sport, assisting with the olympic bids, his ongoing beckham academy and now this charitable donation which he did not need to do (3 million so I read) you don't think he might be a candidate for a knighthood?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 pm

I'd suggest it is noly a matter of time before he's knighted, and this latest 'publicity stunt' as you cynically put it hasn't changed my opinion on that one way or the other.

David Beckham has been an excellent role model for the last 15 years, has put a lot in to raising the profile of sport in general, and seemingly does a lot of good work outside that.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I think there has been an over reaction to what he's done! That is all.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Jesus Christ, I know you're a bit dense at times lo but this is special.

So because the kind of hysterical retards who use FB and twitter as mouthpieces are spouting nonsense, this somehow equates to Beckham using charity as self publicity? Why the fuck would David Beckham, one of the most famous and wealthy sports stars in the world need to donate a bit of money to charity to get publicity?! The charity involved would have been leaking it like crazy, its the best publicity they'll ever have. PSG would want it out there too. It gives them the publicity that they need far more than Beckham.

Of course Beckham will make back the donation in salary and endorsements, but so what? You seem to have a major chip on your shoulder about how wealthy he is. Do you think he should refuse his wage and endorsements on account of some kind of charitable self flaggelation?

I'll re-iterate - he doesnt have to give a single fucking penny to charity if he doesnt want to. He gives a load away through his trusts and grants which is rarely publicised, and im sure he didnt do this to get any 'kudos' that he doesnt need anyway.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I don't deny it's a good thing to do. The reaction it's received is as if its completely unheard of, which it isn't. I may be completely cynical but do think this will be the final nail on the coffin for him to be knighted - does it feel a little contrived to me, yes. But I guess it is victimless and will do some good!

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Might offset his tax a bit.

Anyway he deserves a knighthood for surviving allegations of going with a pig fiddler a few years ago :)

Also it's his money to do with how he chooses.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 am

Does anyone else find Knighthoods, MBE's, OBE's and all those other 3 letter things bit pointless really ?
Think before posting

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 am

I will tell ya when I get mine lol, not sure they still carry the same importance of recognition as they used to but still I would like a day out at the palace, meet Queenie and get a gong or medal thingy.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 am

BUSHEAD wrote:Does anyone else find Knighthoods, MBE's, OBE's and all those other 3 letter things bit pointless really ?
Yes, when all you have to do is win a medal at the Olympics to get one does devalue the honours system for me, I am not knocking sportsmen/women, but I believe to get an O/M/CBE or Knighthood you should be successful over a whole career.

As for David Beckham, I believe he is after his Knighthood, and believe he should get it eventually for his services to football and charity, he has been doing it now for a good 15 years

442 Football Crazy Admin

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:41 am

fozzovmurton wrote: Yes, when all you have to do is win a medal at the Olympics to get one does devalue the honours system for me
:roll:

Is that "all you have to do"?

"Just" win a medal at the Olympics? A simple and easy task like that?

Fuck me they're practically giving OBEs away. :roll:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm

It is easy to forget that an Olympic medal is the prize which illustrates great achievement over a career. Most people only see the major events there is a lifetime of effort which goes into those medals in a lot of cases. My only argument would be that the honour should be held until the end of their career to signify their achievement over that career not in the immediate aftermath of one games.

I know it is a one off but had Lance Armstrong been British he'd have likely been knighted by now - where would that have left the honours system.

But to say 'only' an Olympic gold - it is not a case of turning up at sports day!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Quakerz wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote: Yes, when all you have to do is win a medal at the Olympics to get one does devalue the honours system for me

Ok, fair point, what I meant was things like honours should be awarded based on a whole career, somebody like Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins deserve there knighthoods in my opinion, because they have been consistent throughout there careers, as will David Beckham when he finally gets his.

I accept winning an Olympic Medal is not easy and to get it you got to work your arse off for 4 years, without taking anything away from the likes of Rebecca Adlington, these honours should be handed out for a careers worth of work

442 Football Crazy Admin

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:16 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

Ok, fair point, what I meant was things like honours should be awarded based on a whole career, somebody like Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins deserve there knighthoods in my opinion, because they have been consistent throughout there careers, as will David Beckham when he finally gets his.

I accept winning an Olympic Medal is not easy and to get it you got to work your arse off for 4 years, without taking anything away from the likes of Rebecca Adlington, these honours should be handed out for a careers worth of work

But most Olympic medals are won that way. It's not as though Mo Farah just thought "I know, I'll start running and I might win a medal in four years time".

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

And a lot of Olympic athletes have short careers - they only peak for a short period, more so in some sports than others, and so are unlikely to achieve the longevity that some might at the very top of their sport. Compare a distance runner with a sprinter, and the length of time marathon runners stay at the top of their game compared to a sprinter.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 am

Nice tax dodge by becks. Doesn't have to pay the 75% tax rate on worldwide earnings due to 5 month contract. He may look and sound thick but he really isnt

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Ibrahimovic made a good point, people were moaning about his huge salary that he pays huge tax on. Yet Beckham gives his salary away and that's a problem too? Looking like whether you pay loads of tax or give your money away entirely, you can't win!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Nice tax dodge by becks. Doesn't have to pay the 75% tax rate on worldwide earnings due to 5 month contract. He may look and sound thick but he really isnt
Does he look thick?

DC

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Nice tax dodge by becks. Doesn't have to pay the 75% tax rate on worldwide earnings due to 5 month contract. He may look and sound thick but he really isnt
I dont know much about tax, but youre saying he is giving up 100% of his salary to avoid paying 75% tax on it?

What am I missing? As clearly I am

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm

France's top rate of tax is 75%. However by only working there for 5 months he doesn't fall foul of it. By giving his basic salary to charidee he can earn loads more in endorsements and bonuses because people think he's awesome. Therefore great tax dodge.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:France's top rate of tax is 75%. However by only working there for 5 months he doesn't fall foul of it. By giving his basic salary to charidee he can earn loads more in endorsements and bonuses because people think he's awesome. Therefore great tax dodge.
I dont think his endorsements will increase cos of it though, theyll already be massive

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Maybe, maybe not. However in France the 75% tax rate is on worldwide earnings. That is why their super rich have legged it to Belgium, Russia and other places. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking him, just saying he or his advisors are very astute. Fair play to him as it reduces his tax liabilities elsewhere.

Think of him as a Starbucks to get a better picture.