Who was there the last time

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

fanforlife
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who was there the last time

Post by fanforlife » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:51 pm

i was on the south terrace . great day and great memories . can't believe it was over 20 years ago.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 pm

I was there my third time watching us get promoted. Didn't we play Rochdale that day?

andyatdarlo

Post by andyatdarlo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Yep, I was there. 36, and the best buzz at a match EVER.
This may be similar.
Well done Martin, the boys, and thanks.

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:02 am

I lived and worked a long way from Darlington for many years so have never seen them in a promotion winning game .
My first game was the last match of the season in 1952, we lost,
came second bottom in the old 3rd division north and had to apply for re-election which we got courtesy of the other clubs voting for us . Since then till we dropped into the Conference I started every season saying my ambition was to stay in the Football League . As someone said above "how things change" now my ambition is to live long enough to see us back in the bottom tier of the league !!
As an aside I can't help having a little smile when I read remarks by people saying they are growing old . Try over sixty years as a Darlo fan and you will begin to really know something about it !!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:49 am

I must've been the only one in the West Stand then. Great crowd, great end to a great couple of seasons.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

DarloD

Post by DarloD » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 am

Tin shed for me as well :)

DarloD

Post by DarloD » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 am

I remember my first Darlo game 1976/77 season it was Newport County at home with Nattress getting the only goal. We finished a resonable 11th in Division Four that year. We had great players Nattress, Seal , Wann, Fergy etc.

darlobhoy

Post by darlobhoy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:11 am

Lived in Manchester at the time and probably did a lot more away than home games that season. Made sure I was back home for this.

Stood in the Tin Shed (west side). On the pitch at end I started a chant for David Corner (who had played a big part in the campaign but had missed the closing stages through injury and was never to play again).

Despite being top of the table at the start of the game, the promotion race was really tight and if we lost and other results went against us we could have ended up in the Play-Offs. Such fears were soon put to bed and we scored fairly early and controlled the game.

Spent the night celebrating in town, including an impromptu champions celebration at midnight on High Eow

TwoSaints

Post by TwoSaints » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:23 am

I was there at the age of 7!

I picked up a stud from the pitch which turned out to be David Cork's i believe as think it mentioned in the paper that he'd lost one during the game.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 am

As said on another thread. Never seen Darlo promoted.

Went to a few games in the conference season (Wycombe, Farnborough, Kettering - all away) but spent most of the time wondering why my old man had taken me to watch this team I'd never heard of.

Moved to Darlo in 92. Been going every since. It's been hard work. But it will be worth all of the pain if tomorrow is the first reward of something very special.

I feel for the youngun. He's 8. He's been to probably 10 Darlo games in his life. And he'll have seen us win two trophies. He won't know what's hit him until it's too late!

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 am

made the long trip up from Essex for the game managed to buy possibly the last shirt and was back in my Essex local later that night playing pool wearing my new shirt magic memories. The season before was in a supermarket on the Isle of wight and got back to the car to hear that we had scored late on magic magic mmories

Jamm

Post by Jamm » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am

I was there, in middle of the Tin Shed, which was packed an hour before kick off. I took great joy in rewinding the highlights on video to see the bit where the camera zoomed in on me!

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:46 am

22 years ago, my word.

My first game was in the season we went down to the conference as a 8 or 9 year old. Then never missed a home game from the conference promotion season till I left for uni. No that’s a lie, my dad wouldn’t let me go to some Tuesday night match for bad behaviour one season, ha ha.

I dragged said dad down to Welling but was a little too young to remember it in full other than the bloke who had drawn a darlo kit on himself (toman’s brother I was later told). Then a year later for the Gray pen I had climbed up on the old segregation fences on the west side of the tin shed to see, I was then stood on the dugouts to watch smudger lift the trophy. Magic memories

I’m based in London these days and with the northern league cant get back for as many games as I’d like. But shifts at work have been changed this morning, stupidly expensive train tickets bought. I just need to get a ticket and were good to go.

I’m absolutely buzzing in the office whilst people keep asking Team Northumbria who?

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 am

I was a few rungs up the floodlight pylon at the Tin Shed end - got there are 2 and couldnt get into the main part of the shed.

Was gutted, cos my Dad (football hater) wouldnt let me go on the pitch or stay for the trophy, had to listen to it all on the radio. they were still celebrating when we got back to Northallerton.

I was 12.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 am

In the tin shed after an early session in The Green Dragon!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:In the tin shed after an early session in The Green Dragon!
Think I was in the Old Dun Cow

jazzydfc

Post by jazzydfc » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:43 am

I was there on the open bit between the shed and the old east stand, the charge onto the pitch at the final whistle was like a scene from Zulu

dfc1883

Post by dfc1883 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 pm

I think it's phenomenal that after 22 years of torture we're still here supporting! Well done everyone for sticking with it :clap:

I was at the Rochdale game on the left corner of the Tinshed, as a 10 year old and that season was my first supporting Darlington. I've been addicted ever since. I can't wait for a moment like that again - 22 Years, can't believe it.

:D
Last edited by dfc1883 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:13 pm

I was there in the old main stand paddock. I will be there tomorrow

22 years is a long, long time. We have been thorugh the mill several times since then. Despite all that we are still here.

Come on boys do the business tomorrow!