Name change..

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo-Richie
Team Supported: Darlington

Name change..

Post by Darlo-Richie » Wed May 08, 2013 9:41 am

1883 is clearly unpopular amongst our support and I think we should approach the FA and ask if we can change to Darlington AFC, it should still be different enough in the FA's eyes.

al_quaker

Re: Name change..

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am

I favoured AFC in the first place as it meant everyone would just refer to us as Darlington. However, I believe the FA "recommended" that we couldn't use an AFC suffix, hence the 1883. I think this is grossly unfair. I would like to see us drop the 1883.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am

Thought they strongly discouraged us from using that name hence why 1883 came about

darlojay

Post by darlojay » Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 am

There has never been a challenge to the FA over a change of name and they wouldn't really know how to deal with it. Different leagues have different rules so now we going Evo Stik its worth a punt

I know this cos i was chatting to an FA official at play off semi at FC united last night

Darlo-Richie

Post by Darlo-Richie » Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 am

al_quaker wrote:I favoured AFC in the first place as it meant everyone would just refer to us as Darlington. However, I believe the FA "recommended" that we couldn't use an AFC suffix, hence the 1883. I think this is grossly unfair. I would like to see us drop the 1883.
I can't understand how the FA can stop us, even the addition or removal of one letter is enough of a change in my eyes as biased as I am! I think we should push this now we have more time.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 am

Darlo-Richie wrote:
al_quaker wrote:I favoured AFC in the first place as it meant everyone would just refer to us as Darlington. However, I believe the FA "recommended" that we couldn't use an AFC suffix, hence the 1883. I think this is grossly unfair. I would like to see us drop the 1883.
I can't understand how the FA can stop us, even the addition or removal of one letter is enough of a change in my eyes as biased as I am! I think we should push this now we have more time.
Would the FA not be the governing body that we hold the football share with? If so they can pretty much tell us what they like, they certainly have so far

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 am

I see no harm in enquiring about a name change, although I'd expect the FA to say no.

andi_darlo

Post by andi_darlo » Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 am

I thought i remember seeing something at the time about the name change only being temporary ?

I thought because R*j had kidnapped the share we had to play as Darlington 1883 because 2 teams with the same name couldnt hold a share ?

now surely the share he owned has been written off (presumably ?) could we not just apply to change the name back ?

i thought i saw this was how it would work anyway ? but i may have been dreaming it ?

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 am

AFC was my favourite. The FA never said it wasn't allowed just they preferred it not, whatever that means.

Even Town would be a lot better. 1883 hate, just looks stupid
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Darlo-Richie

Post by Darlo-Richie » Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am

andi_darlo wrote:I thought i remember seeing something at the time about the name change only being temporary ?

I thought because R*j had kidnapped the share we had to play as Darlington 1883 because 2 teams with the same name couldnt hold a share ?

now surely the share he owned has been written off (presumably ?) could we not just apply to change the name back ?

i thought i saw this was how it would work anyway ? but i may have been dreaming it ?
That is why we should push the FA on this, as I said even adding an A to the suffix should be enough of a change, we were rushed last year by the FA. It would also alleviate some of the resentment a lot of us have towards them.

dfc1883

Post by dfc1883 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 am

It's interesting on the wikipedia page for 'Darlington 1883' it mentions that we didn't add the words 'Football Club' to our current name.

Does that mean that would have been able to have been just named 'Darlington' ? and drop the FC bit?

...either way - I reckon we should apply to the football league every single year for the rest of our existence to change our name to 'Darlington Football Club', I'm sure they'll eventually give in.

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 am

Why do we even need a suffix? Could we not just be called Darlington?
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 am

And why was 1883 picked in the first place? I thought we had a vote if I remember correctly
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am

The club would need to ask the question but the club won't know about it just by people posting on here about it. Email the club or post something on the CIC Facebook page, or bring it up at the next forum if you think the club should run some sort of poll - or do one on here and present it to the club as evidence of how people feel.

As I said on another thread (which possibly sparked this one off?) I took the liberty of writing the the Evo-Stik League's Press & Media Officer today, to ask if he can help with getting us referred to simply as "Darlington" wherever possible. I explained why we rail against getting called a "new club" and mentioned about the debt we took on from the "old" club.

It's the same club, just a different company.

I think the best we can do as fans is really to drop a polite line to the editor of a website if you see "1883" or constant references to a "new club" being shown, and ask them to drop it if they want to attract Darlo readers to their site.

If we keep doing this then, in time, people will forget all about our recent history and think of us as the same old Darlington, just as they now do with Newport County.

Darlo will - if I recall correctly Darlington 1883 was picked in a hurry and there really wasn't time to do a proper vote. It's not very popular, but it's really just the name of the company (same as Darlington FC 2009 Ltd., or whatever it was before that). The key change I think we're looking for is really to get our trading name changed to drop the 1883 bit.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlo-Richie

Post by Darlo-Richie » Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am

Mr_Tibbs I read your topic in The Terraces forum and thought it would be a good idea to bring it up on here.

There is so much resentment towards the name '1883' just hope the FA will see sense, unlikely I know, and let us change the name back to or to something closer and also alleviate the resentment their getting from some of us. We would finally be able to move on.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

Nothing other than Darlington FC will be popular with the fans.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed May 08, 2013 11:30 am

Probably in a minority but I actually don't mind it.
It was chosen because it shows we are not a new club and I reckon it won't get used over time in league tables in future.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed May 08, 2013 11:32 am

Why not change it to "the collectively owned by the people of Darlington football club"

They would soon get sick of typing or saying that. Job sorted!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 am

Darlo-Richie wrote:Mr_Tibbs I read your topic in The Terraces forum and thought it would be a good idea to bring it up on here.

There is so much resentment towards the name '1883' just hope the FA will see sense, unlikely I know, and let us change the name back to or to something closer and also alleviate the resentment their getting from some of us. We would finally be able to move on.
Is there so much resentment?

No-one I know gives a fuck, no-one associated with the club ever uses it, it's just a shitty suffix decided on in a rush to satisfy the FA wankers.

I'm sure it will get dropped as soon as possible, but its a complete non issue until then.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 08, 2013 11:44 am

Agree with Jazz TBH

What I can't for the life of me understand is why merchandise was produced and sold with the 1883 logo on it, whilst its a decent logo all it has done is make the name more prominent than it needs to be and i'm sure in time it will fade away

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 am

Bogratsteve wrote:Agree with Jazz TBH

What I can't for the life of me understand is why merchandise was produced and sold with the 1883 logo on it, whilst its a decent logo all it has done is make the name more prominent than it needs to be and i'm sure in time it will fade away
Thirded. Could never understand why we would want to sell such merchandise when everyone felt as strongly as they did about the name change.

I think anyone that uses the 1883 moniker only uses it to be 100% factually correct in news stories, or if it's Joe Bloggs fan off the street, then as a way to troll us.

It's not a massive issue at the minute though, however I'd certainly like to see the board as the question at least.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed May 08, 2013 11:54 am

To be honest, I ain't bothered.

We all know we are Darlington FC. 1883 is just 4 extra numbers forced on us, doesn't bother me if it is there or whether it's not.

We know who we are and so does everyone.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm

I haven't got a problem with the 1883 bit in the company name (Darlington 1883 Ltd.). I'd just like to see it dropped from our playing name (in league tables and so on) but I don't think that'll happen unless we do our bit to try and stamp it out. Once that's done then people will forget about it but, like Andy above, some people love using those number in their signatures :roll:

P.S. I have actually got one of those "1883" woolly hats - they didn't have any of the other ones left when I visited the club shop over Christmas so I had to buy one of those instead, but no-one here has any idea what it means.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:I haven't got a problem with the 1883 bit in the company name (Darlington 1883 Ltd.). I'd just like to see it dropped from our playing name (in league tables and so on) but I don't think that'll happen unless we do our bit to try and stamp it out. Once that's done then people will forget about it but, like Andy above, some people love using those number in their signatures :roll:

P.S. I have actually got one of those "1883" woolly hats - they didn't have any of the other ones left when I visited the club shop over Christmas so I had to buy one of those instead, but no-one here has any idea what it means.
My signature says something like

4 numbers
1 Year
1 One Darlington...

Would a name like Darlington CFC (Comminity Football Club) as the club is fan owned, or Darlington SSC (Sport and Social Club) work in the long run
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed May 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:
Darlo-Richie wrote:Mr_Tibbs I read your topic in The Terraces forum and thought it would be a good idea to bring it up on here.

No-one I know gives a fuck, no-one associated with the club ever uses it, it's just a shitty suffix decided on in a rush to satisfy the FA wankers.

I'm sure it will get dropped as soon as possible, but its a complete non issue until then.
I am not a resentful about it. The overriding fact is the club was established in 1883 so you could argue it is a 2 fingers at the FA by reinforcing the continuation of the traditional club. Symbolic. I also bought the 1883 hat and polo shirt (1883 elbow badge) and think the use of numbers is kind of cool. I even think 1860 munchen is a cool name.

The problem for me is the logo has become synonymous with 'new club' and it is a bit of a joke among some NL fans. i recollect one poster here mocking the lad with an 1883 hat who was interviewed on TV the other day

bga

Post by bga » Wed May 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Be careful here lads if we change our name the FA may treat us as a new club again which means we have to start at Level...............! Groundhog Day?

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm

CFC sounds good
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Darlo will wrote:CFC sounds good
Really?

Not sure the hippies and earth nazis will like that, what with that stuff melting the ozone on the penguins!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:
Darlo will wrote:CFC sounds good
Really?

Not sure the hippies and earth nazis will like that, what with that stuff melting the ozone on the penguins!
:D :D
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 4:44 pm

princes town wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:

I am not a resentful about it. The overriding fact is the club was established in 1883 so you could argue it is a 2 fingers at the FA by reinforcing the continuation of the traditional club. Symbolic. I also bought the 1883 hat and polo shirt (1883 elbow badge) and think the use of numbers is kind of cool. I even think 1860 munchen is a cool name.

The problem for me is the logo has become synonymous with 'new club' and it is a bit of a joke among some NL fans. i recollect one poster here mocking the lad with an 1883 hat who was interviewed on TV the other day
It is a cool name, but am I right in saying they have had the 1860 attached throughout there history whereas 1883 has never been attached to our name before last year
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs