Richardson released.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Richardson released.

Post by quakerste » Wed May 08, 2013 5:50 am

In the echo today that we have released RIchardson and looking at other remaining unnamed players signing new contracts.

Not at all surprised that Richardson was released, good luck to the lad for the future.

Quakerz

Re: Richardson released.

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 am

That's a bit of a shame because he isn't a bad player. To be honest, I'd have kept every one of this season's squad on.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 am

I imagine any releases will be to do with the players' ability to commit to next season's away schedule more than their effort/performance this season. Agree with Quakerz, on effort and performance this season everyone would probably be kept on. Hard to pick weak links out of a squad that won 40 of 46. Richardson was decent. Best of luck, wouldn't expect him to have a hard time getting a place at one of the better NL clubs.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 am

I've been one to Champion Daz on here, often against popular opinion.

It surprises me simply cos he played wherever needed no problem and we still have a very small squad. I guess Gray intends bringing in more than just 1 or 2.

Wish him luck.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed May 08, 2013 8:30 am

I warmed to Richardson as the season went on because he is a much better player than I thought. I thought he was exceptional when he came on at hebburn away. I also agree with gray that he is a much more disciplined player now. At the early Darlo RA friendly, I genuinely thought he was a distaster waiting to happen as he looked like one of these players who would just pick up disciplinary points. To his credit, WA aberration aside, I've hardly noticed any waywardness at all recently. It is also noticeable that despite his limited appearances he has remained committed to the team which is credit to him.

Good luck darren.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 am

I'm slightly surprised, as he is a versatile player. However, we will be looking to strengthen the squad - it probably means he will get even less game time. So, good luck to him, he's played a part in our climb back up the ladder, and he has my thanks for that.

I'm sure he will get fixed up with a top NL club pretty quickly.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 am

Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 am

I assume his leaving is because he wants to play more and we can't guarantee him that.
Shame really, as he's a decent versatile player.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed May 08, 2013 11:32 am

It might be down to a couple of reasons really.

He has a young family so maybe he's decided that he wants to spend as much time with them as possible, and travelling to Manchester on a Tuesday night won't help that. Also as Christophano says, he may just want more game time which unfortunately it looks like we can't offer.

Best of luck to the lad though, he's a very versatile player and although he might not be the most technically gifted player, he more than made up for it with effort.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed May 08, 2013 11:38 am

Wonder if he is the only one not being retained?
Good luck to him. Signed up for Darlo when were just a piece of paper and was part of the original team which helped to create the momentum which would turn us into champions.

Although we undoubtedly made some quality signings throughout the season I reckon the group we started with would have finished at least 2nd top under our coaching set up.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 am

Makes sense as he's probably the main player that didn't start throughout the season, gave his best and he'll go on to find another club no problem.

Keeps the squad trim for another quality player to come in!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed May 08, 2013 11:55 am

Ironically I think he would probably start more next season then this one if he was willing to travel (it's a given that not everyone will be able to play mid-week games all of the time), but like I say that could be one of the issues.

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Good luck to him. No nonsense all out effort was his contribution.

kingswaykid
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by kingswaykid » Wed May 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Heard he's off to Shildon.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed May 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Since we are in a different league now it may be a case of call on him if needed, like we did with Clarke after he left for Whitby. Quite a useful system really at the lower levels.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 pm

thought he did ok when he was called upon. I think the fact that when everyone was fit at the end, he struggled to get a place on the bench was the overriding factor.

There is perhaps only one other player who might be in danger

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm

D_F_C wrote:thought he did ok when he was called upon. I think the fact that when everyone was fit at the end, he struggled to get a place on the bench was the overriding factor.

Stevie Johnson??????

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
D_F_C wrote:thought he did ok when he was called upon. I think the fact that when everyone was fit at the end, he struggled to get a place on the bench was the overriding factor.

Stevie Johnson??????
Johnson was always on the bench and, more often than not, he'd come on and do a very good job.

It'll be Nicholls I'd say.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Anyway, with regards to the OP, all the best to Darren. Not the most technically gifted player we have at the club but he certainly put in loads of effort and commitment when needed. I'm sure that he's left us a more improved and disciplined player, he'll be a real asset for another side next season.

Squad stands at about 18 players now, although I'm pretty much resigned to losing Tait and Porter may retire. Hopefully we can sign Hedley and bring in another 3-4 players after that.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Stevie Johnson??????
Johnson was always on the bench and, more often than not, he'd come on and do a very good job.

It'll be Nicholls I'd say.
Yep, that's who I meant. He was exciting at the start of the season when it was either him or Emms. But Emms kicked on and Nicholls went backwards.

There could be someone better out there

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:53 pm

I was thinking that too. Let's see if we can get Hedley to sign first. I have every confidence in Gray though that whatever final decision he makes it'll be a good one.

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am

the quote in the Echo is

Darren Richardson leaves Quakers, but with a glowing reference from Gray.

“Darren’s going purely because we can’t promise he’ll play as much next season,” said Gray, who is close to agreeing contracts with several of the current squad.