Martin Gray signs new contract

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ash_Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Martin Gray signs new contract

Post by Ash_Quaker » Fri May 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Ash_Quaker

Re: Martin Gray signs new contract

Post by Ash_Quaker » Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm

"Assistant manager Brian Atkinson and coach Sean Gregan have also agreed new deals covering the same length of time while talks with Quakers' other backroom staff are planned. "

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Fri May 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Probably the best news I've heard since the fans took over the club!

In Martin we trust!

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Fri May 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Great news - that should see us reach League Two before we need to start looking for our next manager :lol:

All joking aside - great to see Martin and his staff showing he wants to be a part of our future.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 pm

MG Is going to be the new Alex Fergie. Might be too early to say that but Get in in Martin we trust!

DTID

Post by DTID » Fri May 31, 2013 3:13 pm

I thought longer term contracts were out of the question given we've been stung before?! I like Martin and what he's done so far but nobody at the club should be on 5 year contracts.

We are a Northern League club, not Man United. If things for whatever reason weren't to work out, having to pay out compensation for Martin and his playing staff would put us back in the s***.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri May 31, 2013 3:19 pm

DTID wrote:I thought longer term contracts were out of the question given we've been stung before?! I like Martin and what he's done so far but nobody at the club should be on 5 year contracts.

We are a Evo Stik League club, not Man United. If things for whatever reason weren't to work out, having to pay out compensation for Martin and his playing staff would put us back in the s***.

Corrected for you
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 31, 2013 3:50 pm

5 years does seem a bit excessive, BUT - it means if anyone wants to poach him, they'll have to compensate us heavily, and also it reaffirms Gray's long term commitment to the club.

Downside of course is if he begins to struggle we can't easily get rid. That said, I really can't see him struggling in the next 2 or 3 seasons anyway.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Fri May 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Can't see it going wrong with MG at all, he's the most professional manager we've had at the club since i've supported Darlo.

He's installed a lot of professionalism & discipline into the players, which i never thought i'd see from a group of Part time players, and we know anyone that comes into the club will know how they need to behave. i'm glad He's got a 5 year contract because there's more chance of a bigger club coming in for him, we're lucky to have him.

He's proved how much of a good manager he is to get us promoted first time of asking with not a lot of time to get a squad together. In Gray we trust!

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri May 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Was a bit shocked by the five year thing. But if things don't pan out, the man has the clubs best interests at heart and I think he'd do us right. Saying that. I can't see him failing or wanting off. This just proves where we're going as a club. Great news

Darlopc

Post by Darlopc » Fri May 31, 2013 5:05 pm

He has made a title winning squad from scratch in his first season. Now he has a contract for the next 5 years he can think long term about the club and the players he has. Great news for the club and crucial stability, which is something we haven't had for a while!

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:20 pm

Great news

oldskool han69

Post by oldskool han69 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:45 pm

Super smashin great news

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 31, 2013 5:51 pm

Best news in a while :)

DTID

Post by DTID » Fri May 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Quakerz wrote:5 years does seem a bit excessive, BUT - it means if anyone wants to poach him, they'll have to compensate us heavily, and also it reaffirms Gray's long term commitment to the club.

Downside of course is if he begins to struggle we can't easily get rid. That said, I really can't see him struggling in the next 2 or 3 seasons anyway.
I don't think his long term commitment to the club was ever in question. A 5 year contract is too excessive for our level. My concern is that it could kill our club again if we had to part company between now and 5 years time.

That said, he has built an exceptional squad in so little time he's spent as manager - a squad which I'd expect to be challenging for promotion again next season. Anything can happen between now and then though.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri May 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Worth the 5 years if you ask me...

If the man can put a title winning squad in the time he did, then he has earned the clubs trust in him and earned the investment and faith the club and us fan have in him.

Not only did we win the League, we fucking blitzed it and beat the Northern League Sweethearts quite convincingly in the end...

If he can put a squad like that together in days/few month tops, then the next 5 years should see some very good times ahead
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri May 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Great news and commitment from MG and the lads, we don't know the terms of the contract so premature departure might have been catered for to our benefit.

Bones

Post by Bones » Fri May 31, 2013 7:11 pm

Fantastic news,well done to everyone in securing MG and his staff to our club for at least five years.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri May 31, 2013 7:16 pm

I can't see why we wouldn't want Gray for the next 5 years so it stabilises the club which is exactly what we need. Boards and players seem to be coming and going so excellent to keep the same management set.

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:I can't see why we wouldn't want Gray for the next 5 years so it stabilises the club which is exactly what we need. Boards and players seem to be coming and going so excellent to keep the same management set.
Precisely my view.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Also means Martin must be happy with how things are progressing off the pitch as well.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:34 pm

DTID wrote:
Quakerz wrote:5 years does seem a bit excessive, BUT - it means if anyone wants to poach him, they'll have to compensate us heavily, and also it reaffirms Gray's long term commitment to the club.

I don't think his long term commitment to the club was ever in question. A 5 year contract is too excessive for our level. My concern is that it could kill our club again if we had to part company between now and 5 years time.

That said, he has built an exceptional squad in so little time he's spent as manager - a squad which I'd expect to be challenging for promotion again next season. Anything can happen between now and then though.

What is his wage?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

The_Natural

Post by The_Natural » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:17 pm

5 years is ridiculous!
why are we tying ourselves into this??? and for assistant managers as well!
1 year rolling contract at the most makes sense, some of the 'business' decisions being made beggar belief!

TheFriendlyFan

Post by TheFriendlyFan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Spyman wrote:
DTID wrote:

What is his wage?

I overheard some blokes at a game towards the end of last season quoting £40,000 and £60,000. I'm assuming they were either taking the piss or complete idiots.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DTID

Post by DTID » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:48 pm

TheFriendlyFan wrote:
Spyman wrote:
DTID wrote:

What is his wage?

I overheard some blokes at a game towards the end of last season quoting £40,000 and £60,000. I'm assuming they were either taking the piss or complete idiots.

I would have thought £30k was more accurate.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:37 am

DTID wrote:
TheFriendlyFan wrote:
Spyman wrote:
DTID wrote:

What is his wage?

So you admit you have no clue as to the terms of this contract?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

PJPoolie
Team Supported: Pools

Post by PJPoolie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:00 am

The_Natural wrote:5 years is ridiculous!
1 year rolling contract at the most makes sense, some of the 'business' decisions being made beggar belief!
I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

If he has ambition to get a job higher up the pyramid it means whoever wanted him would have to compensate you or find someone else. It offers you protection. Can you seriously see a point in the next five years when you're going to want to sack him? I don't.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:12 am

Also with MG at the helm we will have easy, unstoppable access to his youth set up, bringing in the future stars of the club for free, not a bad thing really.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:12 am

DTID wrote:
TheFriendlyFan wrote:
Spyman wrote:
DTID wrote:

What is his wage?

You're telling me that you think Gray is on 30k a year? Fuck off is he. That's
£600 a week!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:49 pm

PJPoolie wrote:
The_Natural wrote:5 years is ridiculous!
I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

If he has ambition to get a job higher up the pyramid it means whoever wanted him would have to compensate you or find someone else. It offers you protection. Can you seriously see a point in the next five years when you're going to want to sack him? I don't.
PJ talks sense again! The Natural seems to be a typical football fan that likes sacking a manager after a couple of defeats. Thankfully our board have the guts to back Gray in a long term team effort.