NEW GROUND

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Craig09
Team Supported: Darlington

NEW GROUND

Post by Craig09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I was playing football sunday night and a lad who also played goes and watches mowden alot, he told me that he had been talking to friend who is envoled with the rugby club & the council and he said to me that mowden have a spare bit of land where there training pitches are and that is going to be used for darlo a new ground just a basic tin shed type of stand to start off with

fozzovmurton

Re: NEW GROUND

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm

No offence but I find this friend of a friend gossip a load of bollocks...

If what you say is true, then:

1. Why would the board not have mentioned it by now?
2. We would need more than a tinshed to start off with
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Im just going off what he said i didnt say it was 100% true only time will tell i suppose

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:18 pm

seems very unlikely

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Apart from darlington rugby club & eastbourne where else is there to build a ground

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:21 pm

I heard this also a few months ago from someone who is involved with the rugby club

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:28 pm

This can't be true as Sean Campbell posted a photo recently of Fabrice Muamba with a "Save Feethams" top on.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:29 pm

If Muamba wearing a t-shirt isn't the biggest indication yet that we're going back to Feethams, I don't know what is.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I believe the Mowden Committee members scuppered any chance of a return to the Arena site.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:08 pm

I could always ask a guy who comes in my work what the crack is, he is a coach with the 1st team at mowden and seems to be pretty much involed with a lot of the stuff up there

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Craig09 wrote:I could always ask a guy who comes in my work what the crack is, he is a coach with the 1st team at mowden and seems to be pretty much involed with a lot of the stuff up there
Who is it?

funksoul

Post by funksoul » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:36 pm

i think alot of people are just nosey and gossips

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Craig09 wrote:Apart from darlington rugby club & eastbourne where else is there to build a ground

This

Only other places are
Feethams .....would love it but it aint gonna happen
Arena ......We just aint wanted by the rugby club

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:04 pm

There is at least one other option

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Surely the time for "options" is up? How long are we going to be looking at options before we can settle on a site and try and raise funds?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Is there any possible way we could use some of the land near Faverdale/West Park?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Quakerz wrote:Surely the time for "options" is up? How long are we going to be looking at options before we can settle on a site and try and raise funds?
It's certainly getting to that point. I do believe those involved are getting closer and have continued working on it in the last few months. Be good to get an update at the forum.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Those running things haven't done badly so far. We know they have no self interests to promote, so why not a little trust in those that are working so hard for our club? :roll:

carver30

Post by carver30 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Lawman3 wrote:I believe the Mowden Committee members scuppered any chance of a return to the Arena site.
Lawman3 is totally
right that the majority of the Rugby Club voted not to have us back at a smaller stadium on the Arena site using the Arena facilities on the match day.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:54 pm

The only way forward for darlo is to work with the council and use council land and create a sports hub, unfortunately the council is making massive cuts at the min so I can't see this happening for a long time
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:44 pm

carver30 wrote:
Lawman3 wrote:I believe the Mowden Committee members scuppered any chance of a return to the Arena site.
Lawman3 is totally
right that the majority of the Rugby Club voted not to have us back at a smaller stadium on the Arena site using the Arena facilities on the match day.
That issue has not been voted on.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 am

Sorry lads there's been a mix up the lad who told me said its darlington rugby club were the spare bit of land is not mowden

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:08 am

So they are vacating Blackwell Meadows then?

Edit, I've misread that, thought you were saying DRFC were moving to the Arena. So the rumour now is that we will move to a new ground at Blackwell?
Last edited by Makka Pakka on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 am

Being the miserable and cynical old sod that I am, I will believe it when I see it laid out in front of me in black and white

Marxista Fozz
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:27 am

Makka Pakka wrote:So they are vacating Blackwell Meadows then?

Edit, I've misread that, thought you were saying DRFC were moving to the Arena. So the rumour now is that we will move to a new ground at Blackwell?

Yes mate they have a spare bit of land and supposedly its for our new ground

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Just confirm DRFC have no land it is all council owned.

Mowden are changing the inside of the North Stand into changing rooms with the pitches just over the boundary at that side. With this in mind we would not be close enough to the arena to use it facilities for half time pints, changing rooms etc. but I wouldn't be surprised (although I have nothing to back this up) if they allowed our fans to park (for a minimal cost) if our stadium was within walking distance of the arena.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Blackwell/Eastbourne. I think they are the two at the moment if rumours are to be believed. In complete honesty that is exactly where we were a year ago.

Feethams & The Arena were bandied about, but realistically weren't going to happen when it came to having a 'new' ground of our own.

Given this I'd think we are further along than people realise, but NDA's are quite restrictive.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:09 pm

lo36789 wrote:Blackwell/Eastbourne. I think they are the two at the moment if rumours are to be believed. In complete honesty that is exactly where we were a year ago.

Feethams & The Arena were bandied about, but realistically weren't going to happen when it came to having a 'new' ground of our own.

Given this I'd think we are further along than people realise, but NDA's are quite restrictive.
Agree we are defintely further on but until any actual plot of land info is announced it will be hard to believe for many. Hopefully we can pull in Supporters Direct to help/advise in terms of funding help.

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:25 pm

I think the fact there are a lot of supposed agreements in place over where we are looking in to means this sort of speculation of "mates" and other important people are to be rendered pointless.

Divas and the other people who are lucky enough to be privy to the inside dealings are the only people worth taking seriously.

feethams flyer

Post by feethams flyer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:30 pm

I stated on here earlier in the week the longer this issue is allowed to drag on the more damaging it could well be in the future as regards to not be in a position to take future promotions.

The more i look at it i just can't ever see us being in a position to build our own ground and then further develop it. And i only expect the bare minimum when it comes to assistance of the council.

We really do need to bring this issue to the fore. And we could really be looking for a reality check here. The conference north looks a long way off here let a lone the football league and not just on the playing front. As much as i hate saying it renting the playing surface at the arena and associated facilities really looks like our better option to assist a rapid rise through the leagues.

My fear is that once we get to a position where we can't take a promotion we will lose the fans. Hope i am wrong but our un-elected board needs to start talking to us fans/shareholders about this matter sooner rather than later and the implications need to be out in the open.