Who was our best goalkeeper?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mullet69
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who was our best goalkeeer?

Post by Mullet69 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 am

feethams wrote:Preece was good shot stopper but terrible at corners/crosses. I remember sometimes having to look away when he came out for them due to the uncertainty!

Collett was top notch, Stockdale, Prudhoe, Paul Newell
As far as one-one-ones went Preece was the business but like Flapper Newell and Dracula, didn't like crosses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Lancashire Quaker

Post by Lancashire Quaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:21 am

Has to be Prudhoe for me ,
I remember him making a " Banks " like save at Feethams
Diving low to his right and with the ball spooning over the bar ,
Just can't remember who it was against though ?
Was a few moons ago lol

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 am

spen666 wrote:surprised no one has mentioned David Stockdale
I think the reason for this is that Stockdale was a bit of a rarity in Darlington goalkeeper terms, in that he always had a good defence in front of him!

Whilst Collett got to play behind Liddle, Aspin, Tutill, Heckingbottom one year. He had Simon Betts, David Brightwell, Alexandre Jeannin and Steve Harper as cover another year.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:57 am

I'm with the Tony Moore brigade, presumably we are all old punters. I don't suppose he was the only one, but he's the only keeper I can remember who regularly took the ball out of the air one handed. Had hands like hams. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:07 pm

The Finnish keeper, with the unprenouncable name, who we had on loan from Preston. :clap:

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 pm

I guess in reality Collett and Prudhoe were the best longer term 'keepers that we have had. But Tony Moore was the one that made the biggest impression on me at the tender age I was when I started watching the Quakers. Mind you, there were a couple of numpties that followed him. Dave Crampton - I recall Peterborough having an indirect free kick from outside the box that was heading harmlessly towards the net until Crampton dived to his left and managed to get a hand to it before it crossed the line. Then there was Gordon Morritt. Prone to lapses of concentration towards the end of the game resulting in late goals. We didn't have 'injury time', we called it 'Morritt time'.

I also thought a lot of Alan Ogley, one of the first to wear contact lenses. He was at Heritage Park earlier this season as a rep of the Evostick League.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 pm

lo36789 wrote:
spen666 wrote:surprised no one has mentioned David Stockdale
I think the reason for this is that Stockdale was a bit of a rarity in Darlington goalkeeper terms, in that he always had a good defence in front of him!

Whilst Collett got to play behind Liddle, Aspin, Tutill, Heckingbottom one year. He had Simon Betts, David Brightwell, Alexandre Jeannin and Steve Harper as cover another year.
Stockdale didn't always have a good defence in front of him.

In fact, towards the end of his first season at the club, when he was cover for Sam Russell, Penney put him in the team for a few games behind a very shabby, cobbled together defence. As a result he looked way out of his depth and was written off by many, including me.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Collett for me too, though I'd put out another mention of Frank Van Der Geest.

Worst goalkeeper, now that would be a lengthy discussion...
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Worst for me is a toss up between Phil Stamp and David Knight. Mark Price also deserves a mention - he was painful to watch.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:24 pm

haha that says so much for Knight when his nearest rival is Stamp.

I know this is going to go down like a lead balloon. Who was the lad we had at the start of last season? I feel harsh because he had some good shot stopping moments, at the same time he managed to cost us goals in the Northern League!

Wasn't Ashlyn Stephenson pretty bad? I don't remember him really playing, but I have a feeling there was a reason for that!

feethams

Post by feethams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm

To be fair, just seen Sam Russell mentioned. He was always steady.

What about Russell Holt anyone???

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:haha that says so much for Knight when his nearest rival is Stamp.

I know this is going to go down like a lead balloon. Who was the lad we had at the start of last season? I feel harsh because he had some good shot stopping moments, at the same time he managed to cost us goals in the Northern League!

Wasn't Ashlyn Stephenson pretty bad? I don't remember him really playing, but I have a feeling there was a reason for that!
Jack Norton?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm

AndyPark wrote:Jack Norton?
I thought Jack Norton? I was going to put that but for some reason it didn't sound right.

I know I might be being completely harsh and maybe with these things you have to think of the relative level of the club at the time they played.

Outside of a relative judgement the keeper who wasn't good enough for us whilst we were playing at our lowest level should be the worst people can remember.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Worst keeper would have been Mark Samways until that Staunton season when not one but two keepers managed to lay claims for the worst in our history.

Paul Newell and Michael Price were pretty shite too mind.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

AndyPark wrote:
lo36789 wrote:haha that says so much for Knight when his nearest rival is Stamp.

Jack Norton?

I didnt mind Norton the odd clanger but half decent
Worst keepers ive ever seen were Jeremy Roberts,Martin Mcgrother :?: ,Keith Finch,Darren Collier,Neil Smallwood ...could go on for ever really

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 pm

divas wrote:Worst keeper would have been Mark Samways until that Staunton season when not one but two keepers managed to lay claims for the worst in our history.

Paul Newell and Michael Price were pretty shite too mind.
Nonsense. Samways couldn't kick for s***, but as an all round keeper he was far from the worst we've had, even if you discount the level we were playing at.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DC

footifan

Post by footifan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Classic Darlo keeper story... from a family member so pretty well nailed on as true:
Freddie Barber was in negotiations with Howard Kendall ( early eighties & pre agent days) over terms of his transfer from Darlo...He noticed a line up of sponsored BMW 's (or some such ) in the players car park. Not to be outdone he asked for one as part of his deal. Howard said " My scout tells me you can't drive Freddie " " Aye that's right Mr Kendall.... but our lass does !!! " :lol: Classic Freddie

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:The Finnish keeper, with the unprenouncable name, who we had on loan from Preston. :clap:
Got a bit of a fetish for our Scandinavian cousins haven't we Pete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Ryan2k9

Post by Ryan2k9 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 pm

What about ashley jones ;-) think hes called had him in 2010 relegated from football league year?? Now he was s*** probs the worst darlo keeper I seen

My time supporting darlo the best 3 keepers I seen are andy collett,sam russell and david stockdale
Dean gerkin was class the short spell we had him on loan, that polish keeper kazmiersak how ever u spell hid name was ok

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:44 pm

You mean Ashlee Jones? His performance away against Notts County is still the worst performance by a professional footballer I've ever seen.

He made Craig James look like fucking Dani Alves.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 pm

In my time I would have to say Andy Collett, with a mention for Michael Ingham's performance in the last game at Boothferry Park, we snook a 1-0 win thanks to Simon Betts' goal but for about 85 minutes it seemed like it was Hull v Michael Ingham

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Mark Prudhoe. I'll never forget his performance away to Hartlepool when he kept them out single handed. 10/10 in nearly all the papers

Kentquaker

Post by Kentquaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Willie Whigham not sure if he was sober at the time though. Phil Owers sticks in my mind although he did concede seven on his debut

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Mark Samways always had a blinder when he played against us so I was doing cartwheels when he signed. What a let down.

Worst was Darren Collier by a mile.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Collier - that's the bugger I was trying to think of earlier! Yes, also pure muck.

Bones

Post by Bones » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:42 pm

How about,Martin Burliegh super goalie la la la la la la,for those with a good memory. Rather over weight but a good keeper in a poor Darlo team.

ron-harbertson-hero

Post by ron-harbertson-hero » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:55 pm

I am amazed! Not one mention for the keeper that let in SIX goals against Wolves in the 5th round of the F.A.Cup and still won the "Henry Rosette", awarded by the sports writer in the Daily Express. The keeper was Joe Turner, he lived round the corner from me in Yarm Road and even said "hello" to me on occasions. (I nearly wrote that he even let me wash his car...but footballers did not have cars in those days.) The date 15th February 1958. Wolves were top of the first division at the time with players such as Billy Wright,Bill Slater and Jimmy Mullen were in their team. The game was even shown on the fore-runner of BBC's "Match of The Day". We thrashed Chelsea in the previous round. Those were the days!

footifan

Post by footifan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Yes Turner was a good keeper , the first I can remember ...my first game was the 4 - 1 win over Chelsea down hill ever since lol.
Other keepers I remember from that era ( they all looked good & were hero's to a star struck kid )
Jimmy O'Neil ( Irish International ) , Peacock, Chris Penman ( let in 10 at Doncaster ) . Ray Snowball the 4 time Amateur FA Cup winner used to help out Darlo from time to time...good enough to be a pro but always played as an amateur with Crook Town , he was a head teacher in Sunderland.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Tony Moor. He had a presence and dominated his area (at a time when keepers were not untouchable) as well as making astonishing saves. At times he seemed unbeatable, so much so that it was always a shock when anyone scored against him (even Alan Clarke for, if memory serves me correctly, Leicester City)

Having said that Ray Wood who I never saw and was well before my time must get it if we are giving awards out as he achieved the most in terms of playing top flight football.

Pollitt and now Stockdale have made it to the Premiership so their records too speak for themselves.

After that well there are an awful lot of keepers I guess we all regarded very highly for various reasons. A lot of them build a relationship with the fans which outfield players rarely manage. We have had an awful lot of very good keepers play for us (Prudhoe Lucas Moilaanen, Schmeichel, Barber Collett Wealands.....)

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 pm

"Pollitt and now Stockdale have made it to the Premiership so their records too speak for themselves"

As did Wealands