Darlington v Curzon Ashton Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Makka Pakka
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Curzon Ashton Match Thread

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 pm

The game was an absolute lottery, neither side could play any football. We gifted them 4 goals, they give us nowt. Looking on the bright side, if we have to make 3 howlers like that then might as well have them in the same game.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Better team won they got their tactics spot on with an early goal, dowson miss to make it 1-1 might have made a game of it, we just didnt turn up.
Fight on for that 2nd spot and winning the playoffs, we will now have to cheer on Curzon to help us out.

cuppabovril

Post by cuppabovril » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Have to agree we were well beaten by a very good side, thought we played veryy direct with no effect got totally out played from start to finish. We might as well of had no center midfield davis and wing were non existent! But we can only play whats in front of us with what we have, I'm still confident we will get promotion via the play offs

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Wind spoilt what could have been a decent game but where has our neat passing football gone from earlier in the season it just seems to be long ball all the time.If only Dowson had put that chance away just after they had scored.

njb

Post by njb » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 pm

quakerste wrote:We are starting to look very thin on the ground, the kid tonight looked totally out of his depth.
Not sure why MG brought him on instead of Hopson. Looked like a total gamble and agree he looked way off the level needed for this league.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:27 pm

That performance was embarrassing tonight, Curzon were streets ahead in every department and worthy champions, really showed our forwards how to finish.No idea why Gray did not play Harrison and our midfield was woeful, the young lad Wing really struggled along with the rest of the team. Really feel Gray needs a quality midfielder as we played hardly any football of note and is worrying how the better teams can soak up pressure and hit us when they break.We should still make the playoffs but cannot see us making 2nd spot IMO.

cuppabovril

Post by cuppabovril » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm

I know where was harra? Even if he was on the bench I would of brought him on for robinson pushed tait into the middle and brown back to cb, that would of give us a bit of steal at least in the middle of the park where davis and wing were woeful

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Tonight was brutal in everyway, worst performance since we dropped down the leagues.

Defence was all over the shop from the start, the conditions were horrific in the first half but Curzon coped much better.

If dowson had put the chance away in the first half could have been a different story but we will never know.

We never tried to play football at any point and heads went down so earlier in the second half.

We missed scott and robinson in midfield, nothing against the young kid who came on, but we looked over run the whole game never winning the lose balls.

Very deflating night for everyone

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Most comments have been quite sensible, sounds like we were beaten by the better side who will likely and quite deservedly romp to the league title now.

We are well in with a shout of 2nd as long as we dust ourselves down and get on with things. 3 points off Warrington at the moment and they have to play Curzon again still (don't fancy their chances, do you?).

It's not the end, we have not blown it, if anything we have just been given the motivation to kick on and get that crucial second place.

As for Harrison I am assuming he was at work, he did leave in the summer due to work commitments if there was ever a time they'd clash it would be midweek.

victor meldrew

Post by victor meldrew » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:57 pm

They are worthy champions after tonights display, saying that we didnt turn up...

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Also those on twitter will have seen, but a couple of fans have choose to go through and tweet a lot of the players with abuse after tonight.

What ever the result of the performance it's not on
Last edited by Sidarlo on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Sidarlo wrote:Also those on twitter will have seen, but a couple of fans have choose to go through and tweet a lot of the players with abuse after tonight.

What every the result of the performance it's not on
not acceptable but I'm sure the guys will realise it's just frustration. It's one of the problems of having fans as followers I guess.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Sidarlo wrote:Also those on twitter will have seen, but a couple of fans have choose to go through and tweet a lot of the players with abuse after tonight.

What ever the result of the performance it's not on
A couple? There's only one that I'm aware of - which is still one too many, mind.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Yup. Keltie had hutchy and his belly to deal with. Just because it's a full time job doesn't mean it's easier to take? Whilst I can see it seems worse as we are much closer to these players and feel like a family, tonight was not what we are used to and there will ALWAYS be the mindless minority at ANY football match in the country.

If they want to make it pro thy should learn to take it with a pinch of salt. I saw the abuse David stocktake was getting and this pales into insignificance I'm that respect! Agree with the sentiments though onwards and upwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Had a brief chat with a couple of Curzon fans tonight. They told me that this is the highest league they've ever been in and that they've (obviously) never had promotion.

Looks like they're going up this time.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:54 pm

spen666 wrote:Excellent crowd tonight.
will they return?
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:The game was an absolute lottery, neither side could play any football. We gifted them 4 goals, they give us nowt. Looking on the bright side, if we have to make 3 howlers like that then might as well have them in the same game.

Agreed. The wind ruined the game as a sporting contest. If the conditions had of been normal, who knows how it would have turned out?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:10 am

I thought 1-0 wasn't too bad in the first half, although it should have been 1-1. Second half they got it tactically spot on. They left the left side open and put an extra man on the right where the wind was taking the ball. The wind wasn't as bad second half like.

We gifted them three goals. In fairness they only had 4 chances all game.

Their defence was the best I've seen in 2 seasons. Especially number 4.

We are lacking in centre mid...even if everyone is fit

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:09 am

My feeling, currently, is that we are much too direct. I'm aware the system we implemented before Christmas aims for a slightly more direct approach than previous however I think we are now in danger of becoming completely one dimensional. Obviously conditions were dreadful last night so the spectacle was always likely to be poor, however we offered nothing more than hopeful long balls.

I think the better sides in this division are more than capable defending against this style of play, as was shown last night and for a great period against Lancaster. Man for man I would say we have more quality than a team like Lancaster and others around us but the direct approach offered up is comfortable to deal with.

When we make efforts to keep the ball down we have the capability of beating teams comfortably.
Craig Liddle is God!!

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:56 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:We should still make the playoffs but cannot see us making 2nd spot IMO.
we need to do something different, regardless of where we finish in the playoffs as our record against the top sides (excluding Warrington) is a measly 2 goals and 1 point.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Martin Gray in the Northern Echo:
“The wind was a massive factor in the first half, you couldn’t get any football or any momentum going. They scored three goals from our mistakes in the second half, it wasn’t through their good play. Three howlers. That’s not us, but if you make mistakes like that in any game you will get punished.

The wind killed the game and three mistakes cost us.”

I'm with him. Curzon may well be a much better team than us but that wasn't evident last night. They struggled with the conditions as much as we did, just benefitted from uncharacteristic clangers from Brown, White and Bell.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 pm

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... on-ashton/.

Final got this up from last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:57 pm

The way things are Curzon need 15 points to secure the title. Both Curzon and Warrington have 4 games between the two face each other on April 12th.

I personally think Warrington will lose against Northwich on Saturday but if they don't (and both teams keep winning) then Curzon will be able to win the league on that day against Warrington.

A little bit closer to home, we need 19 points to guarantee a play-off place. Lets get that down to 16 against Prescot this weekend and hope Bamber Bridge fail to win.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Bells pass for their 4th goal just summed up last night, it was awful. Far too direct. Curzon got their tactics spot on and fair play to them. Every game I've been to this season (only a few because of work) has been very boring to watch. And if I wasn't so passionate about Darlo I probably wouldn't go back. Where's the Entertaining Football gone? We are FAR too direct and It just doesn't work. Now I'm not sitting here and flapping, Because the only games I've been to this season and we've lost is both games vs Curzon and its results that matter. But for the less die hard fans I'd be surprised if they did come back especially after last nights showing.

Thought a crowd of over 1,400 was very good considering its was Cold, Windy and there was Champions League on TV. Lets hope for a reaction on Saturday

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:09 pm

I don't think last night was down to the Bishop hurricane and gifting goals. We lost because they were a better side... better organised, more committed, more disciplined and with players who performed better all over the pitch, from keeper through to the forward line. We were second best everywhere and looked very ragged at times while they just used their heads and played their game according to the conditions. I strongly suspect they would have comfortably beaten us whether there was a strong wind or not. Their record is fantastic and they are worthy champions. We'll have to get back to our very best to steer a course through the play-offs.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Curzon were smarter and adjusted to the conditions better when kicking into the wind, they were drilling lower balls forward instead of long high balls which the wind was picking up. Really thought we would go onto win it at half time, we'd done well to keep it at 1-0 with the way the ball was coming straight back at us. Its now a case of trying to finish 2nd, that now needs to be our goal starting on saturday

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm

about 25 seconds before they scored the 3rd, I think it was tait. he was shouting at his players "come on lads, lets show them what were made of" then woof straight passed him for the goal.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:55 pm

The difference in quality between The Northern League and Evostick league, as a topic on here has been done to death. However, one thing I 'm beginning to notice more and more are mistakes. Or rather the lack of them by the opposition team.

Last season games would rumble on for a while with the other team putting up a good display, until one of their players would be sent off, or make a ridiculous back pass, or slip, or the Keeper would drop a clanger :roll: - we then would capitalise on this and pick them off.

This season, other teams aren't tending to make mistakes. They seem so much better organised and disciplined, and last night was a prime example of this. Curzon played it solid and waited till we cocked up!

It's almost seems like our Non League Zone friends haven't a clue about what they're on about.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:03 pm

I agree with all comments so no repetition from me, however l haven't been able to get to a match recently due to caring responsibilities. Please reassure me that we normally perform better than last night as I was shocked at our performance and worry about our ability to compete at the required level for play offs success. I'd had a long journey, got frozen and had a miserable journey back.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Just lately at home we have not been performing anywhere near the standard we can play when we play the ball on the floor.It just seems for some reason we have taken to long ball and it might work away but not at home,i hope we finish 4th or 5th and play away with our support it work