Important Update About Quaker Retail

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Important Update About Quaker Retail

Post by poppyfield » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Important Update About Quaker Retail

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Bad news moving out of the Town Centre but we will still have a club shop. Can't remember exactly how much the market shop was costing but it's safe to say this is a reasonable saving for the club.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

On the plus side if you only want to visit the club shop at least you will be able to park for nothing outside of it.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 am

darlo reborn wrote:On the plus side if you only want to visit the club shop at least you will be able to park for nothing outside of it.
Pretty irrelevant post considering you can park in Sainsbury's for free and walk 5 minutes to the existing club shop

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:58 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Bad news moving out of the Town Centre but we will still have a club shop. Can't remember exactly how much the market shop was costing but it's safe to say this is a reasonable saving for the club.
Not sure. It is a step to showing where our home is in Darlington which is a positive.

We save money as well which is always a positive. I think if we need to re-establish a presence in the town centre then who knows we could try and pull favour from another retailer (in exchange for hospitality tickets maybe!?).
Last edited by lo36789 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 am

When we were at the Arena did anyone complain about the location of the shop? No, they didn't.

It makes sense to have it as part of our base. Yes, it will be a bit of a change for the few who work in the town centre, but for the rest of us it won't make much of a difference.

charlie

Post by charlie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:31 am

Those of us in the shop understand the reasons for the move, at the end of the day it's the club shop and it makes financial sense to move it to Blackwell Meadows. We'll just adapt accordingly x

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:54 am

dickdarlington wrote:When we were at the Arena did anyone complain about the location of the shop? No, they didn't.

It makes sense to have it as part of our base. Yes, it will be a bit of a change for the few who work in the town centre, but for the rest of us it won't make much of a difference.
On this, actually it was raised on many occasion that people wished the club had a presence in the town centre, but dont let the facts hinder your stance ;)

I read the statement and this bit
We are grateful to Darlington Rugby Club for this offer
stands out.

What sort of rights do we have as part of the ground share? I actually assumed we would have a club shop and offices at the ground. Is the ground share just the same as at Bishop, but cheaper, and in town?

Im glad that the club shop will be at our home, ideally Id like us to maintain/create links with some stores in town though where maybe we can have some goods for sale too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Agree with you shawry. I recall people asking for a town centre shop when we were flush with cash at the arena.

You can buy a host of Man United/Chelsea and Liverpool merchandise in Sports Direct. I wonder if Darlington merchandise can be made available through retailers in town (they can get a cut, our merchandise gets sold everyone is a winner?).

Just a thought anyway, not urgent but at the same time definitely not worth people being concerned about us not having a market stall as I am sure if there is a want there is a way.

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 pm

We are grateful for the offer because we will be using it even if we still have to play at HP.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:12 pm

dickdarlington wrote:When we were at the Arena did anyone complain about the location of the shop? No, they didn't.

As said by others it's not so much the shop being at Blackwell in itself, as I have no issue with that at and financially it is the right move. In theory it would pay for one extra player if you put the money into the playing budget.

It is more the football club having a town centre presence, letting the town know the club still exists. Financially though moving the shop is the right thing.

charlie

Post by charlie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:25 pm

To be honest that's my take, I love the shop in the town centre and weve built up good relations with our neighbours but financially at the moment it's the right thing to do

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 pm

To be honest its not a surprise. Middlesbrough's club shop in Captain Cook square is set to close I think. If a Championship club is struggling to run a club shop in a town centre then it shouldn't come as a surprise that we need to move elsewhere. If it saves a few quid then great.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:13 pm

I think the way forward is for retailers in town to sell our stuff. It was always annoying going into sports shops/birthdays in town and not seeing a darlo shirt.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2