Tom Portas - New Signing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Tom Portas - New Signing

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:03 am

http://www.darlington1883.co.uk/?p=7275#more-7275

Anyone know much about him? Box-to-box midfielder sounds perfect!

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Tom Portas - New Signing

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 12, 2014 11:15 am

This is the midfielder I eluded to on a previous thread, the name was mentioned to me that we were interested in signing.

Box to Box midfielder for Whitby, below are his details from the Whitby website. Scored 10 goals in 107 games for them.

D.O.B 09.04.92. Tom joined the Blues in November 2011 just weeks after making the move to Newton Aycliffe. A pacey box-to-box midfielder with a bright future ahead, he spent two seasons at Guisborough Town after going through Middlesbrough's Youth Academy. Tom's also capable of scoring spectacular goals and was voted Online Player of the Year, plus joint supporters' and players' player of the year in 2012-13.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 am

Sounds like a good signing and the type of player we've lacked this season, Hope he strengthens our midfield.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon May 12, 2014 11:39 am

Went to school with the lad for 5 years, was at Boro Academy. Didn't think I'd end up watching him play for us. Good engine and always stood out to me.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:55 am

Great news a midfielder we have been crying out for.Watching the news for whos going now. I rate Davis and Hopson so will be interesting to see who if any goes.For me it would be Scott hasn't impressed me this year and Brown is not a midfield player. With Robinson as Holding MD i think with the addition of Portas its looking good.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm

windyforce4 wrote:Watching the news for whos going now.
Brown isn't a midfielder you are right and I hope by signing Portas it means we never have to see him or Tait played there every again.

I don't think this necessarily means somebody will go.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Someone will leave, it's just a matter of who. Safe to say the squad budget has not increased in a massive way, in fact not at all.

In theory Tait and Mitchell have left unless something changes as they both only signed until the end of the season.

I believe Brown and Davis may have signed new contracts for next season and possibly Dowson.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 12, 2014 2:31 pm

The Whitby Town programme editor has taken it well.

He's tweeted: "Can Darlo just fold already? Ffs."

And:"Club never learns mate. Darlo are like parasites anyway. They wouldn't come in and buy players. Just wait for contracts to expire."

Says it was "heat of the moment" but from a programme editor of a club, that's pretty shocking.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Mon May 12, 2014 2:38 pm

I think he needs to be venting his anger at Mr Bosman, not us.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote:The Whitby Town programme editor has taken it well.

And:"Club never learns mate. Darlo are like parasites anyway. They wouldn't come in and buy players. Just wait for contracts to expire."

Says it was "heat of the moment" but from a programme editor of a club, that's pretty shocking.
You have to laugh.

Except it's not fucking funny.

I thought we'd left all that sort of shyte behind us when we got out of the Royston Veysey Invitational Clown Challenge League.
Last edited by Quakerz on Mon May 12, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Appalling comments tbh, nearly as bad as some of our FB/twitter official comments lol

If Whitby are not capable of getting their ships in order it's not our fault, always thought highly of them, we gave them Purewal didn't we

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon May 12, 2014 2:54 pm

What is all this "clubs never learn mate" BS?

How can a "club" be capable of "learning" anything?

Presumably he means the board of directors, which of course is different to the last lot who saw us into administration. And if he does mean the current directors, what does he mean when he says we've never learned? What is he insinuating?

I'd like to see this taken further.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:

Appalling comments tbh, nearly as bad as some of our FB/twitter official comments lol

If Whitby are not capable of getting their ships in order it's not our fault, always thought highly of them, we gave them Purewal didn't we
That's where he went yep.

In fairness, it is just one idiot (although whether other people connected with the club have similar thoughts remains to be seen).

I just don't understand why people who work in an official capacity for a club think it's okay to make stupid comments like this.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Quakerz wrote:What is all this "clubs never learn mate" BS?

Presumably he means the board of directors, which of course is different to the last lot who saw us into administration. And if he does mean the current directors, what does he mean when he says we've never learned? What is he insinuating?

I think that's a reference to Whitby actually for not securing players on longer contracts. Not clear from the post.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Looking forward to the friendly!

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Quakerz wrote:What is all this "clubs never learn mate" BS?

Yeah he's definitely referring to Whitby as being the club that never learns. Says they should have offered him a two year contract.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon May 12, 2014 4:23 pm

@TomPortas123 in case anyone wants to follow on twitter

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Wonder if he kicked off with Guisborough for signing Nathan Mulligan!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon May 12, 2014 6:53 pm

People get so offended so easily these days. Passionate fan fed up that his team's two best players have left for nothing.Sure we'd have been the same if Thommo had saw his contract out and signed for Spenny for nowt. We haven't done anything wrong and i'm sure he knows that really. As for Mulligan, I understand he doesn't want the travel anymore as he's got a new family, so nowt Whitby could have done.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue May 13, 2014 12:46 pm

Is this a done deal? According to some Whitby fans on NLZ, it isn't done yet?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:50 pm

AndyPark wrote:Is this a done deal? According to some Whitby fans on NLZ, it isn't done yet?
Haha hopefully it would be for us to announce it. What do Faustino Asprilla and Tom Portas have in common...

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 13, 2014 2:24 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:People get so offended so easily these days. Passionate fan fed up that his team's two best players have left for nothing.Sure we'd have been the same if Thommo had saw his contract out and signed for Spenny for nowt. We haven't done anything wrong and i'm sure he knows that really. As for Mulligan, I understand he doesn't want the travel anymore as he's got a new family, so nowt Whitby could have done.
It's not about being offended. It's about whether it is appropriate for someone who, as programme editor, is a representative of the club, to publicly wish another go bust for signing two of their players.

He can be fed up, but tweeting "Darlo are parasites" is completely out of order, whether tongue in cheek or not, and he should not have done it.

He's entitled to be pissed off but he had no reason to make those comments about Darlo.

If we'd done that, the NLZ lynch mob would have gone into meltdown.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Tue May 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:People get so offended so easily these days. Passionate fan fed up that his team's two best players have left for nothing.Sure we'd have been the same if Thommo had saw his contract out and signed for Spenny for nowt. We haven't done anything wrong and i'm sure he knows that really. As for Mulligan, I understand he doesn't want the travel anymore as he's got a new family, so nowt Whitby could have done.
It's not about being offended. It's about whether it is appropriate for someone who, as programme editor, is a representative of the club, to publicly wish another go bust for signing two of their players.

He can be fed up, but tweeting "Darlo are parasites" is completely out of order, whether tongue in cheek or not, and he should not have done it.

He's entitled to be pissed off but he had no reason to make those comments about Darlo.

I wouldn't worry about it.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 13, 2014 2:47 pm

Ingleby wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm not "worried" about it. I'm just a sad, grumpy b****** with nothing better to do. ;)

In all seriousness though, as someone who's done PR work in the past, I get wound up when people cock up like this. I'll shut up about it.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue May 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Lets remember that the "programme editor" is probably a volunteer, doing it for nothing from the comfort of his bedroom. It's not Rebekah Brooks! As another grumpy sod, I'll leave it as well.