game v Sunderland VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

robsraiders
Team Supported: Darlington

game v Sunderland VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Post by robsraiders » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:20 am

Just to say last night Martin Jesper confirmed that SAFC will be sending a first team squad for our game, so please tell everyone this is the case and dis spell the wide held belief that we are only playing a youth team.

Its disappointing to hear we have only sold around 350 tickets, the remaining tickets will have to offered to SAFC very shortly so lets a have a push and support the team and board in a very important fund raising game.

Sidarlo

Re: game v Sunderland VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:25 am

when brought up last night it was stated a deadline would be used before giving the remainder to Sunderland.

I would guess Monday/Tuesday, really is a shame we havent sold more but as was said its a fundraiser and it needs to be a sell out even if its 70% Sunderland fans

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:42 am

Sidarlo wrote:but as was said its a fundraiser
That is probably the most disappointing thing. We are relying on opposition teams for fundraising money.

Suppose one thing that is certain, with so many Sunderland fans coming they won't want to disappoint their fans. It will definitely be a first team so Darlo fans should want to be there!

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 am

I'm really not getting the appeal to this game?! Let's leave it to the Sunderland fans to fill the ground? What's wrong with relying on them to shift tickets?!

It'll be a sell out no matter how many darlo fans turn up and a good boost to the coffers. Its a non competitive game for £12. People have holidays etc.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 am

TDS wrote:I'm really not getting the appeal to this game?!
The appeal is it's a possible 20k fundraiser to support moving to BM but you get to see the lads player a premier league team.

To be honest I can imagine this doesn't interest some but not sure what people want the club to do to raise funds. Personally I see it as a £24 donation as me and the two lads are going but I get to see a game of football as well.

If people don't want to support fundriasing then that's fine but they then can't compain the club haven't moved back to Darlo yet and the squad isn't as good as they want.

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:55 am

TDS wrote:I'm really not getting the appeal to this game?! Let's leave it to the Sunderland fans to fill the ground? What's wrong with relying on them to shift tickets?!

It'll be a sell out no matter how many darlo fans turn up and a good boost to the coffers. Its a non competitive game for £12. People have holidays etc.
The appeal is that it is a fundraiser and Sunderland have waived all expenses to help-will they do that again? MG seemed disappointed at the uptake by Darlo 'fans'

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:16 am

Will I be able to order tickets over phone or online??? skint till Saturday though

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:17 am

Fundraisng is the route we all knew we were going to go along, it's a long way from being over yet , it's tiring but it's the route were on. It's us that wanted the club saved. We've come a long way in the short time I've been involved in the club.
This is a premiership club offering us a helping hand with waived fees to help us come back home. It's going to be a sell out regardless but I personally would like us to have a good voice there so please if you haven't got a ticket yet now is the time

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am

Perhaps we've marketed this wrong. Instead of saying it's the Sunderland first team maybe we should be telling everyone it'll be the Darlo first team. :P

It is slightly worrying that we're not selling. But we never do for friendlies. As long as it's a sell out I don't mind who's there. Heck, I'd flog them to some chimp chokers if it gets us the money.

I'm getting a lot of "I don't do friendlies" when talking about it. Even after I've said it's to raise cash.

I'm more concerned about the season ticket volumes.

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am

fozzovmurton wrote:Will I be able to order tickets over phone or online??? skint till Saturday though

We can't take payment over the phone yet but it is something that were working on. Andrew has offered to keep Quaker Retail open till two pm on Saturday so it'll be open 9am till two pm on Saturday

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 am

TDS wrote:I'm really not getting the appeal to this game?! Let's leave it to the Sunderland fans to fill the ground? What's wrong with relying on them to shift tickets?!

"Apathy" was a word that was used at last night fans forum, fans need to realise that unless we, "the fans" are prepared to back the club by attending these types of fundraising games the move back to Darlo just becomes more difficult.
Other key "fact and figures" season tickets sales are down ,attendances are down,so support your club now.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:23 am

A fundraiser which will be a sell out regardless, though.

I agree, everybody wants a big turn out from Darlo fans but also remember its an expensive time of year, season tickets, shirts, holidays. Other things get in the way, there are fans that give their all and there are fans that scrimp and save to get a season ticket and that's the most they can give. I like that the club aren't just asking for handouts but at the same time this isn't going to appeal to everyone.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:23 am

charlie wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:Will I be able to order tickets over phone or online??? skint till Saturday though

We can't take payment over the phone yet but it is something that were working on. Andrew has offered to keep Quaker Retail open till two pm on Saturday so it'll be open 9am till two pm on Saturday
Will try sort something out then, I have something else on on Saturday so can't get to Quaker Retail...will sort something out, will have to get one from Sunderland if it comes to that

442 Football Crazy Admin

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:26 am

We shouldn't take the fact that it'll be a sell out for granted though. If we want bigger clubs to help us it doesn't look very good if we don't sell many tickets ourselves :-/

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:27 am

fozzovmurton wrote:
charlie wrote:

Will try sort something out then, I have something else on on Saturday so can't get to Quaker Retail...will sort something out, will have to get one from Sunderland if it comes to that

Can you send a cheque?

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 am

I have never had a chequebook

442 Football Crazy Admin

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:31 am

Pm'd you charlie

442 Football Crazy Admin

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:34 am

To be fair it hasn't been advertised very well. I've seen nothing around the town. posters etc. If Sunderland are making the effort to send their first team, the least we could do is make the effort to advertise it better.

A lot of the people I've spoken to about it didn't have a clue it was on, If people don't know about it then how can they get tickets?

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:36 am

To be fair, it's normally me who walks around the town with posters (not bragging complaining or looking for brownie points there) but anyone one of us could so it

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 am

cameron-darlo wrote:To be fair it hasn't been advertised very well. I've seen nothing around the town. posters etc. If Sunderland are making the effort to send their first team, the least we could do is make the effort to advertise it better.

A lot of the people I've spoken to about it didn't have a clue it was on, If people don't know about it then how can they get tickets?
Got to agree about advertising for this game.I would have thought we would have seen a piece or two in the Echo to move it on.

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:49 am

It's been in the echo , and the fact it's the first team

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club when we have had two full seasons in the wilderness of bishop Auckland. It's abundantly obvious we won't be playing at Blackwell Meadow in the 14/15 and that's killing the club. I love our club but until we return to darlington the support our town offers will wain.

Surely we must be making money with shirt sales and other merchandise. I enjoyed the comedy night and hope the lovely volunteers manage to hold another similar event soon. I know Hilary Bites were wanting to greatly increase their costs which unfortunately may mean such an event may not be feasible.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm

The extra money is going towards getting back to Darlington though, surely that is the key point.

You get to see a big friendly which may not happen again for many a year and put money into the move. We make very little from shirt sales about £10 a shirt profit at best, so sell 200 and you only make 2k profit, we don't sell lots of merchandise.

Does anyone have any big ideas in terms of fundraisers to move back to Darlo that people would be interested in.

In regards to funds we need to provide, what estimates do people think needs to go into the club to pay for the move back after what we have now to what we need (after some grants). I would guess at over 100k still needs to come in somehow.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 pm

love it! wrote:I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club when we have had two full seasons in the wilderness of bishop Auckland. It's abundantly obvious we won't be playing at Blackwell Meadow in the 14/15 and that's killing the club. I love our club but until we return to darlington the support our town offers will wain.

Surely we must be making money with shirt sales and other merchandise. I enjoyed the comedy night and hope the lovely volunteers manage to hold another similar event soon. I know Hilary Bites were wanting to greatly increase their costs which unfortunately may mean such an event may not be feasible.
I'm not too sure who your rant is aimed at, are you suggesting that the board could have managed to clear out quarter of a million in debt and built a new ground in less time?

Or is it just a general angry rant aimed at nobody and nothing in particular?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:07 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:The extra money is going towards getting back to Darlington though, surely that is the key point.

You get to see a big friendly which may not happen again for many a year and put money into the move. We make very little from shirt sales about £10 a shirt profit at best, so sell 200 and you only make 2k profit, we don't sell lots of merchandise.

Does anyone have any big ideas in terms of fundraisers to move back to Darlo that people would be interesting in.

In regards to funds we need to provide what estimates do people think needs to go into the club to pay for the move back after what we have now to what we need (after some grants). I would guess at over 100k still needs to come in somehow.
Les - MJ mentioned last night that they couldn't come up with estimates publicly as this would not help with the remaining quotes they are getting in and put us at a disadvantage. Also with regards to grants it was said that they can't be formally applied for until planning is signed and sealed although the board have expressed an interest with the relevant bodies. Agree that there will undoubtedly need to be some funding raised though..

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:21 pm

It was more a rough thought from the fans after the comment "I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club".

It seems the club are going to have to find clever ways of raising money from the fans because for some reason as a fundraiser a game of football is not what the fans want to see.

Personally I have seen the interest in fundraising events over the last year drop off and become harder work for the volunteers each time. Maybe we have got to the point of "Do we want a football club back in Darlo pushing for promotion or should we upgrade the RA and share with them and go for the Vase every season"

Hopefully the season will start, a few victories and people will feel refreshed from a break of Darlo crisis in the summer but the big issue seems to be lack of interest whilst in Bishop but struggling to raise money to come back because of lack of interest.

SAFC1879
Team Supported: SAFC

Post by SAFC1879 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:23 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:
charlie wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote: Will try sort something out then, I have something else on on Saturday so can't get to Quaker Retail...will sort something out, will have to get one from Sunderland if it comes to that

Good luck with that marra, SAFC fans need about 20 loyalty points to even apply for a ticket.

SAFC1879
Team Supported: SAFC

Post by SAFC1879 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 pm

For what it's worth I think your 'floating' fans think they will just be able to pay on the day for this one, that's the impression I get from lads I play 5-a-side with and the like.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:32 pm

love it! wrote:I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club when we have had two full seasons in the wilderness of bishop Auckland.
You make it sound like after two season at Bishop we shouldn't have to? You are right about dwinding support but what can we do - they have some quite firm plans together for a return, but a return costs money.
love it! wrote:Surely we must be making money with shirt sales and other merchandise.
We do, but small margins, we don't sell enough volume to make up for it. It is detailed in another thread with a summary of last nights forum.
love it! wrote:I know Hilary Bites were wanting to greatly increase their costs
Hilarity Bites want to increase their costs? Completely lost me there. Do you mean Hilarity Bites want to increase their prices?

Ultimately this is what we have. We need to make the best of it. Starting with a friendly against Sunderland. Every little helps, buy couple of tickets and raffle them at work maybe. It gives a little bit of money to the club and boosts interest in the match.
Last edited by lo36789 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:33 pm

m62exile wrote:
love it! wrote:I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club when we have had two full seasons in the wilderness of bishop Auckland. It's abundantly obvious we won't be playing at Blackwell Meadow in the 14/15 and that's killing the club. I love our club but until we return to darlington the support our town offers will wain.

I'm not too sure who your rant is aimed at, are you suggesting that the board could have managed to clear out quarter of a million in debt and built a new ground in less time?

Or is it just a general angry rant aimed at nobody and nothing in particular?
It was a generalised statement demonstrating my own frustrations. If when the club nearly died we were told we would have been out of town for 3 seasons I'm not so sure everyone would have donated so much money. I'm moving close to Blackwell Meadows shortly and would be over the moon to purchase a season ticket once we return to town.