Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Breedon
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread

Post by Breedon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:46 am

Quakerz wrote:I think Purewal took a bit of a knock tonight, if he's not fit for Saturday it's a case of keep the same formation and a straight swap for Thompson.
That's a point! Last night was all the more impressive considering we did it without last season's star man! Hope Purewal gets better quickly but if it is bad news we seem to have a fair bit of depth.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:00 am

Didn't expect it to be so comprehensive, but at the same time a win isn't a shock. We have improved our starting XI over the summer.

I said before that I am glad we played Spenny so early before their squad depth can be too telling. I do think the signing of Reed is massive for us, he adds the depth in CM we sorely missed last season.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 am

I think one question was answered last night, can Brown play at RB? well yes he can, i for one have criticised him been played there,, not anymore, with a performance like that, outstanding. The back 4 were immence, White demanded it and got it.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:32 am

White was good. He needs to lay off picking fights with team mates though.

I thought Dowson had a really good game, all the team looked focused and rearing to go. :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:43 am

After Sarurdays 30 min power show I was fairly confident about last night but that performance was awesome.Power,pace and quality everywhere including Jameson in goal who will take a bit of shifting by Bell.
What is also pleasing about last night is a lot of praise from genuine Spenny fans who know a good team when they see one,unlike the usual suspects that come on here.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:55 am

dickdarlington wrote:I loved our fluidity from a 4-3-3 into a 4-5-1 to a 2-5-3. A lot of work has gone into it in training. And some of the through play, runs and passing was as good as we've seen under Gray. Considering how we finished last season we look a compete ly differnt team. And this is without Thommo. Gray must be a very happy boss st the mo.
I think they're doing extra training this season and Gray's made reference to doing things slightly differently this time around so based on 120 mins evidence so far it looks like it's paying off, long may it continue.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am

An excellent team performance all round.

I left the match on Saturday disappointed by the circumstances of the match, but very happy with the performance on the pitch. There was always that nagging doubt that it was 'just 30 minutes' and Warrington would be likely to come back into the game at some point.

Last night cemented the satisfaction of the performance from Saturday and took it a few stages further.

90 minutes of power with every single player (including the subs) working their socks off and showing no little amount of skill and intelligence.

Hatch on the bench as a forward and the right first 11, with the whole team and subs playing at a high tempo throughout. I could wax lyrical for ages, but, suffice to say I'm chuffed to bits :)

Taity, Taity, give us a wave lol

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 am

Delighted with the performance last night - one of the best I've seen since our 'reform'.

Spenny didn't seem up for it to me - although maybe that was more to do with how good we were.

I was confident we'd have a good season before the game. Now I'm even more confident. If we keep our feet on the ground and Gray stops the lads getting complacent then anything is possible.
Northern League Champions 2013

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:04 am

Don't mean to put a downer on last night.

However saw before on the Spenny forum about an incident involving a 16 year old from Spenny(hadn't been to the game) Getting beat up by 2 darlo fans and ending up in hospital.

Someone at work(from Spenny) just asked me about it as well.

No idea how much truth is in the whole thing like, hopefully none

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:30 am

Sidarlo wrote:However saw before on the Spenny forum about an incident involving a 16 year old from Spenny(hadn't been to the game) Getting beat up by 2 darlo fans and ending up in hospital.
Sounds like a police matter to me. The poster on Spenny forum said they went into Weatherspoons afterwards after nicking his phone. If true then just gotta hope they are found.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:39 am

"If true" being the key phrase.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Didn't expect anything from last night, don't know whether that was down to the money Spennymoor have spent or the lack of optimism shown on here over the past few weeks.

Delighted to see we played very well, and I think Gray has to take a lot of credit for that. The defence is solid and I'm starting to warm to Brown at right-back, I think it will be a signing of Marrs' calibre to change that. The midfield looks vastly improved and a massive contrast to the one that finished last season. Armstrong is an improvement on Ward and it sounded like he gave Tait and Johnson a torrid time last night.

I expect Thompson to come in for Purewal next game, which isn't that bad.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Also, have to give Gray credit for his tactical decisions early in the game. In the warm-up he'd been watching their players and keeper and instructed our forwards to keep a high line for when they were trying to play it out of defence (resorting to long balls from their back line or keeper) and also for Jamieson to aim his kicks at their No. 5 instead of Tait. Both worked a treat.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 pm

after reading all the glowing reports, I'm deducing that warrington's manager has the ability to see into the future. He must've done so on saturday afternoon and foresaw an absolute humping for his team hence his cowardly actions.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:58 pm

After the game we were walking back along Durham Road and we could hear a fight down one of the alleys near to the ground, but didn't see anything.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Sidarlo wrote:Don't mean to put a downer on last night.

However saw before on the Spenny forum about an incident involving a 16 year old from Spenny(hadn't been to the game) Getting beat up by 2 darlo fans and ending up in hospital.

Someone at work(from Spenny) just asked me about it as well.

No idea how much truth is in the whole thing like, hopefully none
[spen] Do we even know that they were Darlo fans? I would like to be in possession of the full facts before blaming Darlo...[/spen]

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Quakerz wrote: [spen] Do we even know that they were Darlo fans? I would like to be in possession of the full facts before blaming Darlo...[/spen]
I don't post on here nowadays but that did tickle me. Not the kicking, Quakerz comment.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:After the game we were walking back along Durham Road and we could hear a fight down one of the alleys near to the ground, but didn't see anything.
Lol, I don't post much on here nowadays but I knew that you wouldn't be far away from the trouble.

You're always there or there abouts!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:After the game we were walking back along Durham Road and we could hear a fight down one of the alleys near to the ground, but didn't see anything.
That was two lads swapping handbags. The victim got away and didnt look like he was in need of a hospital visit.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Last night was my first game since Ramsbottom.. I can't get over how good Portas was. looks like we have a fantastic player on our hands. Mitchell was also just as good. to be honest, i couldn't fault a single Darlo player, they were all brilliant. Definitely the best game I've seen from White also.

Last night was a dominating performance from us, it was great to see as i wasn't feeling particularly confident. I was expecting a lot more from Spenny to be honest, But i think we were just that good. we didn't give them any breathing space, especially in the first half. they looked pretty weak in midfield, in a similar way we were last season when playing the big teams. we totally overran them.

Fantastic performance and it made my 5am alarm for work a lot more bearable!

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks for the in depth update. Only just managed to get online in Cuba and now jumping for joy around the pool.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 pm

comeondarlo wrote:
Lol, I don't post much on here nowadays but I knew that you wouldn't be far away from the trouble.

I was with my wife, the trouble just follows me around. Haha

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Great result, delighted when I saw it. I'm excited that we seem to have crammed some of my favourite Darlo-supporting tropes into the season already:
- early pessimism
- freak-of-nature footballing injustice that we're on the receiving end of
- winning unexpectedly away from home

Could be a fun season.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:

I was with my wife, the trouble just follows me around. Haha
Well it will do, if you marry it. :roll: