Droylsden vs. Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TSQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Droylsden vs. Darlo

Post by TSQuaker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Anyone else making the trip?

My first proper away game (other than Spennymoor) for about six months.
Northern League Champions 2013

quaker4life

Re: Droylsden vs. Darlo

Post by quaker4life » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:04 pm

I'll be there my first "proper" away day since Radcliffe last season, looking forward to it an old grudge match against a team that look like they'll be up there as well this season!

I wasn't there for 'that' FA Cup replay in 2008 we owe them one though, as Kevin Keegan would say I would love it, LOVE IT, if Hatchy got the winner.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:26 pm

3 of us on the train as usual

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Possibly no reporter from the Echo there tomorrow, our usual journo has been sent to watch Spennymoor. So on "non league day" with none of the big 3 playing, we may not have much of a match report in mondays paper, unless Simpo has got the gig.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Unfortunately can't make it this weekend either.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Can anyone else pick up the gear? Droylsden have a pretty decent ground so no doubts there will be somewhere to film from.

Markodarlo

Post by Markodarlo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm going, don't mind picking up the gear and giving it ago if Kev would do the editing etc?

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:35 pm

I'll be trailing a new idea tomorrow during the game, keep an eye on my twitter account!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:08 am

Big Tim wrote:I'll be trailing a new idea tomorrow during the game, keep an eye on my twitter account!
Is it minute-by-minute selfies to reflect the mood of the crowd?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Today's teams, couple of interesting changes

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09 ... d38168.jpg[/img]

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:09 pm

What the actual hell.....are we doing? Is my response after that.

What on Earth was said at half time to come out and give that 2nd half performance, it seemed like we had a man down. WE took the foot off the gas, yet again as we love to, and let our ego's try and win the game. Droylsden came out and wanted to win and worked hard around the pitch whilst we just let them. Jesus, it was horrible to watch.

First half we were brilliant, looked in control and I was in a positive mood. WE controlled the game and Armstrong was having a hell of a game. Noble too, he looked amazing both off an on the ball. Only one problem and that was Terry being caught out by their winger, which should have been learned from.

Second half...where to begin.

Terry didn't learn, where was he when they scored their first? Yet again, caught out and a simple pass and tap in, which was ridiculous, they had their striker sent off, and they made it look that easy.

Our mids were 2nd to most balls, and I'm noticing they never get on the end of any loose headers.

Thommo...jesus....we need to play players because of their form, not their expectations, he was appalling second half, he hardly even moved, when he got the ball, he would be reluctant to pass, even though if was the much better option, his shots were off the target, i mean, the FK he took was just a metaphor of his performance really, which really angers me, because we've got a player like Mitchell, who when he plays, you can see he almost kills himself each game with the energy he gives out. I would say leave him out a game, his form isn't picking up, and we have eager players with talent who want to play.

When we're 2-1 down too....and we need a goal...who's decision was it to bring on Fisher? Sorry, but he brings nothing to the table, and we've seen that in past games, and we saw it again, yes, he didn't have a lot of time to do anything, but we needed a goal, it was not the time to take chances and flip a coin.

Disappointed, We shown we could of done it, but, we pissed the win away, and we actually tried to lose that, because it was harder to lose it, then win it, but, we managed it.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Just back in form the match - very poor performance by Darlo today. Three points were there for the taking and we gave them away. First time in a long time i have felt really pissed of with Darlo.

As for the farce with the ref in the first half.............................

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Thought the Ref Reffed well to be fair got most things right..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Thought the Ref Reffed well to be fair got most things right..

not sure taking the players off was very good

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:14 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:Thought the Ref Reffed well to be fair got most things right..

not sure taking the players off was very good
I thought he was quite good for the most part - especially considering the usual standard. Don't really disagree with the ref taking the players off - I think he was playing for time until the police arrived, if they had carried on playing anything could have sparked them off again.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:16 pm

He was a bit fussy at times but nothing terrible.

Did think Thompson should have had a penalty, we all said at the time if he had went down he would have got it.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:22 pm

DarloDean wrote:
Noble too, he looked amazing both off an on the ball. Only one problem and that was Terry being caught out by their winger, which should have been learned from.

Terry didn't learn, where was he when they scored their first? Yet again, caught out and a simple pass and tap in, which was ridiculous...

Our mids were 2nd to most balls, and I'm noticing they never get on the end of any loose headers.

Thommo...jesus....we need to play players because of their form, not their expectations, he was appalling second half, he hardly even moved, when he got the ball, he would be reluctant to pass, even though if was the much better option, his shots were off the target, i mean, the FK he took was just a metaphor of his performance really, which really angers me, because we've got a player like Mitchell, who when he plays, you can see he almost kills himself each game with the energy he gives out. I would say leave him out a game, his form isn't picking up, and we have eager players with talent who want to play.
Three things, Tez didn't need to learn first half he was doing well attacking himself!! Also for their first Thommo was lazy and switched off, that was the issue. I'd be fuming if I was Leon/Portas/Terry and I was CONSTANTLY being overworked marking two or three players because the ego of Thommo means he doesn't defend at all.

Brings me to my second point, Stephen Thompson is a great player. We all know what he can do. However, how long do we play with 10 men whilst he wastes attack after attack, falling over, shooting, poor passes. Today was so infuriating for me and when he started pushing Mitchell out of the way (Mitchell has one already from a freekick) you start thinking about dropping him if the lesson will get across.

He was called fat and lazy last season by an opposition manager, and in all reality whilst he isn't fat, he isn't fit and he's definitely too lazy at the moment. He's GOT to get his fitness up and start helping Terry out. Why was Brown attacking better than Thompson for most of the second half?!

Third point, Noble was struggling to adapt to who he was marking and he wasted possession a lot also. Not for me at all.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:28 pm

I really didn't rate Noble. He tried but was ineffective. Showed some decent pace but then fluffed it when through and then after that was awful. He dived and lost possession leading to their first then 5 minutes later was back defending a free kick and was really weak in a challenge that almost allowed another goal. Not at the races at all today. I don't think much to him - where did he come from?

We don't need another Fisher in the team so one (or preferably both) will have to go I think.

Though Armstrong looked good today - clear to see why he's been banging them in.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Thought Noble was ok, seen enough to think he will go past a man more times than Fisher will (sadly as many have said, its just not working out for Fisher). Can't make an instant decision on 65 minutes or so when the team were very good for 45 but poor for the other 20.

If I was Gray then I would certainly give Noble a chance to show what he has got.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Considering Noble hasn't played for quite a while I am prepared to cut him some slack. he certainly wasn't as bad as some have made out. With hindsight it probably would have been a better idea to leave him on and take Thompson off since as soon as the last sub was made, Thompson seemed to just give up doing anything!

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:32 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Thought Noble was ok, seen enough to think he will go past a man more times than Fisher will (sadly as many have said, its just not working out for Fisher). Can't make an instant decision on 65 minutes or so when the team were very good for 45 but poor for the other 20.

If I was Gray then I would certainly give Noble a chance to show what he has got.
I love snap decisions about players! I think I've been proven right about Fisher. Always open minded though - I'd be delighted to eat my words and see him turn in to the next Aguero!

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:40 pm

You can tell straight away with most players. If they look lightweight or their style doesn't look right, its obvious they wont make it. Reed and Noble are both in the same category for me. We need a stronger squad in terms of back up! Budget may not allow however.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:46 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:

He was a bit fussy at times but nothing terrible.

Did think Thompson should have had a penalty, we all said at the time if he had went down he would have got it.
Tommo tweeted that he should of gone down

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 pm

TDS wrote:You can tell straight away with most players. If they look lightweight or their style doesn't look right, its obvious they wont make it. Reed and Noble are both in the same category for me. We need a stronger squad in terms of back up! Budget may not allow however.

I think Reed and Noble could both be excellent squad players, unless we are willing to start throwing money around on transfer fees then I don't see lots of options.

The better players in the NL which is our natural fishing pool are all locked down on contracts, which leaves us players rejected by profesional clubs Newcastle/Pools/Sunderland/Boro/Gateshead these are normally kids who are not ready for this level yet.

I did think Reed and Noble were ok today, lacked in the 2nd half but so did most. Would I have them in my preferred starting 11 currently - No.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 pm

I thought Reed was quite good. Was worried he was going to be a bit lightweight but he was canny in possession and didn't lose it often. He was good at putting them under pressure if not a solid tackler.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:35 pm

Having watched a lot of our games in this league, you do get a sense of what's required. You need to be a bit physical sometimes, aggressive sometimes, give 100% and stand up and be counted and not brushed aside in the 50-50s when the going gets tough. Some of the names mentioned haven't quite shown some of the things required so far. When you add to that the fact that our talisman Tommo seems to be operating at about 40% of what he showed last year, it's not difficult to work out why we're a bit in and out so far.

Armstrong scored, did loads of the donkey work, put himself about and never stopped today but had precious little support from others around him.

We don't look like potential champions at the mo but I'm sure MG will recycle, change things around and do what's necessary to give us the impetus we need.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:53 am

Some interesting comments....

Re Noble, it is early to judge, however I thought he came up well short yesterday and will need to improve massively if he's to be of any value to us even as a squad player. Played the Dowson role yesterday and struggled to make any impact at all, failing to get past the full-back on numerous occasions and being constantly outmuscled. Gray has pointed to him being a "fox in the box" but he never managed to get in the box. It's quite possible that he's not suited to playing wide in a front 3 and would be better playing in a 2 alongside Armstrong or Hatch. I wonder whether there would be scope to play narrower up front with Thompson in behind rather than on the left, allowing Noble to play off the target man? Could benefit both, but potentially exposes the full backs too much. Not a formation to play against 10 men either so a moot point for yesterday's second half.

Ironically his best spell of play came just before he was substituted where he actually beat his man and got a decent ball in, and after he'd gone off Thommo flashed a great across the 6 yard box which no-one has mentioned and there was no-one on hand to get the touch that was required for the equaliser.

His replacement, Fisher, fared little better on his introduction and you do really feel that time has just about run out for him. I'm just not sure what his strength is. When I watched him against us for Gateshead he played wide and tore us apart but he just looks a shadow of that player. Although we have 7 players who can play in the front 3 we employ, Fisher and Noble don't currently look good enough and Thommo is off the boil. With Dowson & Purewal injured it was an issue yesterday. It's frustrating that we seem to have little effective cover in those wider areas where our injuries are but we have quality cover for the central striker in Hatch who's being kept out by the excellent Armstrong.

I imagine a few eyebrows were raised when Fisher was called from the bench rather than Hatch but I could see at that point where Gray was coming from. Sending Hatch on at that point would only have seen us punt more long balls up which Droylsden dealt with. As someone mentioned, the GK sub hindered us as I have no doubt Hatch would have entered the fray with 10-15 left.

Onto Reed I thought he started really well and was pleasantly surprised at how much he got stuck in for a pretty lightweight lad, even being lucky to escape a booking for a strong challenge which ended up with the ref giving us a free-kick. He showed a lot more than he did against Kendal but crucially in the second half when the going got tough he did seen to go missing. Given he's played a number of games in league football you do wonder how, for instance, someone like Tom Portas hasn't.

Quite a few changes were forced yesterday due to the injuries we have to Scott, Dowson & Purewal and it's clear we were weakened by them. We just have to be careful changing the team around when not necessary to accommodate some of these weaker players as I get the feeling Gray is having to play a juggling act to keep them happy, possibly to the detriment of the performance.

Tactically I thought we got it wrong second half and played into Droylsden's hands. When playing against 10, the first thing you do is make the pitch as wide as possible and stretch the game to take advantage of the space. Bringing Mitchell on was the right thing to do, but to play him centrally was madness. Yes he's played very well there so far but it was a different kettle of fish against the 10 men yesterday.

We basically ended up with Brown playing right wing and a combination of Galbraith pushing forward and Mitchell now and again slightly wider on the left of centre which left us exposed at the back and vulnerable to the counter, whilst leaving 3 in the middle and up front. The front 3 being especially narrow and often getting on each other's way.

Given Brown is a CB by trade he's actually been pretty decent with the ball at his feet and put in a wonderful ball for Armstrong's goal but too many times his crosses in the second half were poor. I can't blame him though. We should have reverted to a 4-4-2 and had Thommo and Mitchell hugging the touch lines getting the balls into the box for Armstrong and Noble, with a sub left to bring Hatch on alongside Armstrong for a last 15 bombardment if required. It would have given us better delivery into the box, plus, and crucially, would have meant our full backs didn't have to bomb on and leave us exposed to the counter.

Droylsden executed the plan perfectly but we certainly gave them a hand. Hopefully a lesson is learned from yesterday and the game wasn't a total waste. I've no doubt we'll get back to business on Wednesday and there's no doubt we're stronger than last season with the best XI on the pitch, we just need to try and make sure that's the case more often than not.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:31 pm

MKDarlo wrote: ....... very poor performance by Darlo today. Three points were there for the taking and we gave them away. First time in a long time i have felt really pissed of with Darlo
This is the way I feel too today. The second half was unacceptable. There were players out there yesterday who have issues in my eyes ..... Apart from the rubbish tactics in the second half we played like a team with only ten men .... Not sure if Thomo is interested to be honest .... Something has gone seriously wrong ... And not just with Thomo .....

We're miles off the mark judging by the second half in particular!!! Not sure what happens next :thumbdown:

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Dont think there's much wrong to be honest. Awful half but we've played very well in patches so far and a better start than last season. Like I say, I expect us to be firing again on Wednesday.

Little bit of an overreaction there AIDO.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Am I missing something. That was our first defeat of the season right? Away at a team who we expect to be up in the play-off mix.

We have comfortably beaten two other teams in that mix (well would have but for circumstance). I dunno, but from what I am hearing before interruptions (crowd trouble & s/o) we were doing really well.