Blatter. Thick, incompetent, corrupt ?

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blatter. Thick, incompetent, corrupt ?

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The "calendar committee" are meeting next week. This is to nail down when the 2022 Qatar finals will be played.

Blatter wants it moved to winter to save his skin but there will be a lot of opposition from European clubs.

This will be interesting, however I suspect Blatter will get his way as he is all powerful at the moment......................hopefully not for long.
It almost certainly will be November/December 2022.

In fact I'd be surprised if it's not a done deal already.

And sadly, we'll be stuck with Blatter for at least 4 more years.

Prince Ali is a dud candidate. Figo's got the profile but not the track record or support.

Same for Van Praag, except he has no profile.

With no serious opponent, and Blatter all but guaranteed the votes from South America, Africa and CONCACAF, he's going to win and probably quite comfortably.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:03 am

And today we have the "recommendation" from FIFA that the World Cup be in November/December.

So it will be.

Qatar were awarded the tournament on the basis of it being a summer World Cup (hence the air-con stadiums nonsense they came up with).

Now that has changed, a normal, non-corrupt organisation would re-run the process.

FIFA won't of course. "Let's award the tournament to a wholly unsuitable country, line our pockets with petro-dollars and deal with all the other issues later."

This has been the plan all along. FIFA needs to be disbanded. The corruption is too endemic and there's no will within the organisation to reform.

Raze it to the ground and start again. It won't happen sadly.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:This has been the plan all along.

I'm not sure. I get the feeling it's incompetence! It (the change to winter) certainly makes Blatter look dim but as DarloOnTheUp wrote a while back, perhaps the temperature details were on the same desk as all the big brown envelopes.
Darlogramps wrote:FIFA needs to be disbanded
I'm not sure. Wouldn't a new management team suffice ?

Gary Neville has been reported saying that a winter World Cup would suit the England team really well. Thinking about it I would agree with him on this. Fresh, in form players, as opposed to end of season fatigue.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:21 pm

They should redo the Russia and Qatar world cup votes, as both votes were clearly rigged.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:They should redo the Russia and Qatar world cup votes, as both votes were clearly rigged.
They should throw Blatter out, and there is about the same chance of either occurring. :roll:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:13 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:This has been the plan all along.
I'm not sure. I get the feeling it's incompetence! It (the change to winter) certainly makes Blatter look dim but as DarloOnTheUp wrote a while back, perhaps the temperature details were on the same desk as all the big brown envelopes.
If you think it's incompetence, you're very naive. In the final round, Qatar got 14 out of the 22 votes.

That's 14 powerful executives who've reached senior positions. They aren't idiots - they are skilful political operators. Are you telling me all 14 of these senior executives are incompetent? That none of the 14 thought hosting an intense, high level football tournament in 40C+ heat could be problematic? Of course not.

They wanted Qatar to get the tournament, and the rest of the detail would sorted afterwards. When it comes to money, there is always a plan.
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:FIFA needs to be disbanded
I'm not sure. Wouldn't a new management team suffice ?
No. The whole system is rotten, not just the executive committee. Read David Yallop's How They Stole The Game and Andrew Jennings' Foul.

They show how delegates, federation officials and representatives of the national associations are all on the take, pocketing "development grants" and are willing to accept bribes from presidential candidates.

We can slate the likes of Sepp Blatter, Jack Warner and Mohammad Bin Hamman for offering bribes, but what about the delegates who were willing to accept them?

The entire system has been corrupted. Burn the whole lot down and start again.
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Gary Neville has been reported saying that a winter World Cup would suit the England team really well. Thinking about it I would agree with him on this. Fresh, in form players, as opposed to end of season fatigue.
England will do as they always do. With a favourable draw, they could make the last 16/quarter finals, but as soon as they go up against any reasonably strong side, they get beaten. It's happened all too often since 1966.

It's nothing to do with being fatigued, we just don't have enough quality players. We're not bad and have a "good" set of players who aren't as bad as some like to make out. But "good" doesn't win you World Cups.

The likes of Germany, Spain, France etc, will also be "fresher".

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:34 am

At least the notion that England fail because of the tiredness / no winter break will be finally discredited.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:47 am

Whilst I agree the motives behind Qatar 2022 are completely and utterly suspect. I do think that FIFA is too euro centric and the World Cups similarly. Generally it has gone from UEFA -> another confederation -> UEFA that isn't fair.

It is completely unfair that a nation cannot bid for a WC solely because of their weather during June. It might have happened in the wrong circumstances but maybe now it will change and it does become a little more open.

The confederations can be grouped so there are about 40 countries in each then the WC can rotate fairly between them. 2026 will be back in Europe anyway and 2030 will almost certainly be Uruguay.

If the PL think anyone cares about them and their media partners they are sadly mistaken. I am actually glad that has happened, but it doesn't condone the human rights issues and corrupt nature of the voting.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:26 am

lo36789 wrote:If the PL think anyone cares about them and their media partners they are sadly mistaken

My thoughts too. The Premier League are used to calling the shots - now they squirm when told what to do.

There is talk of FA Cup replays being scrapped in the year in question. For obvious reasons (££) this would be very unfair for the smaller teams who manage good results.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:51 am

lo36789 wrote:It is completely unfair that a nation cannot bid for a WC solely because of their weather during June. It might have happened in the wrong circumstances but maybe now it will change and it does become a little more open.
Agreed, a country should be allowed to bid for the World Cup regardless of their temperatures in summer, and it's only fair that all nations should have a chance of hosting the World Cup.

But that country must also be WORTHY of hosting it, for which Qatar are not.

Their human rights record is shocking, it is illegal to be homosexual, sharia law is used meaning, amongst other things, stoning is a legal punishment, women are discriminated against and considered secondary citizens, apostasy carries the death penalty, as does homosexuality, blasphemy is an actual crime punishable by a lengthy prison sentence, and adultery is punishable by death when a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man are involved. Fuck, I just remembered how much I hate religion.

Not only that but the bidding was for a summer World Cup, and it was specified in the bid that Qatar would use air-con, NOT that FIFA would have to transform it into a winter World Cup. This alone makes the bidding process unfair to the other bidding nations.

Furthermore, it stinks of corruption, bribery, and why would FIFA be willing to ignore and accommodate all of the above? What possible motive would allow a person to wilfully forget about everything I've just mentioned, and throw their morality out of the window? Oh yeah, a s*** ton of money.

What were you saying about "fairness" again?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:23 pm

I think I agree with you? I said the circumstances are wrong but the chance to change to a winter WC is just a lucky positive repercussion. It sets a precedent that it can be done again if a country 'deserving' of it but with hot summer temperatures should bid.

The new thing should be you are bidding for a world cup, not a 'summer' World Cup. Opens it up a bit to other nations potentially.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 pm

lo36789 wrote:I think I agree with you? I said the circumstances are wrong but the chance to change to a winter WC is just a lucky positive repercussion. It sets a precedent that it can be done again if a country 'deserving' of it but with hot summer temperatures should bid.
That's the whole point and this is why any sane organisation (which FIFA is not) would re-run the process.

Qatar would have lost a huge chunk of the European EXCO voters if the original bid had been for a winter World Cup.

Without the European EXCO votes, Qatar wouldn't have won the World Cup bid.

I agree that weather shouldn't prevent a nation bidding. But that country's solution must be in the original bid, not filled in by FIFA afterwards.

That said, the corruption and medieval treatment of certain groups of people should have prevented them even getting to the ballot paper.

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:15 pm

From „Die Ziet“ - “Why Blatter is good for football”

http://www.zeit.de/sport/2014-05/sepp-b ... korruption
Bring Back the Quarters

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:48 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... are_btn_tw

But the 79-year-old Blatter said “a boycott of any sporting event has never brought any solutions”, called for end to “political interference” from the European parliament and insisted the World Cup would definitely take place in Russia in three years’ time.
Quite right. Leave the “political interference” to the experts…
“In my opinion the World Cup in Russia will be able to stabilise all the situation in this region of Europe that is suffering now,” he said. “I am sure that football is stronger than any other movement.”
Bring Back the Quarters

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:43 pm

Tell you what, I started watching Darlo and developing an interest in football when I was a ten year old in 1966. That season Darlo got promoted to the third division and England won the world cup. At the time I just thought that kind of thing happened every year.
We talk now about Blackwell Meadows potentially holding 3000 of us but I remember the last day of the 1966 season in a crowd of 16,000 at Feethams. Mind you it was a waste of time. A boring 0-0 draw agaist Torquay and I was that small I never saw anything on the field, just a sea of legs.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:14 am

grytters wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... are_btn_tw

But the 79-year-old Blatter said “a boycott of any sporting event has never brought any solutions”
Didn't do any good at all in South Africa, did it? Convenient memory loss again by Blatter. :roll:

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:16 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32342080

I was going to suggest some other famous names associated with brown envelopes but the only one I could come up with was... Sepp Blatter.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

grytters

Post by grytters » Mon May 18, 2015 11:50 am

Bring Back the Quarters

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 21, 2015 9:25 am

On the Guardian's front page today-

" Qatar World Cup, now running at cost of 62 dead for every game"

Staggering ..................
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

grytters

Post by grytters » Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am

The article.

Marina Hyde is not pulling her punches here:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... -2022-fifa

However. This could focus the minds in Zürich a little more keenly -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -world-cup
Bring Back the Quarters

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon May 25, 2015 11:03 am

Darlogramps wrote:So why would Ali now turn on his master, the man who's responsible for his position?

Or, as is more likely, I suspect he's nothing more than a stooge, designed to give Blatter more credibility, a stronger mandate when he wins this farce of an election, the outcome of which is already decided.
Oh look, they're the only two remaining candidates, I wonder who is going to win?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32826308
Blatter is favourite to win a fifth term as president and Figo said: "This process is anything but an election.

"This process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man - something I refuse to go along with."

He also questioned an election process in which a main candidate - Blatter - had not produced a manifesto "so that federation presidents know what they're voting for".

Figo added: "There has not been a single public debate about each candidate's proposals."

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 27, 2015 6:11 am

At last, the authorities have got involved. Six FIFA officials arrested, including a vice president, Jeffrey Webb, who's a protégé of Blatter.

This is devastating for FIFA. Blatter will shove his head in the sand and say it's business as usual, but this is his biggest crisis to date.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed May 27, 2015 7:43 am

Darlogramps wrote:At last, the authorities have got involved. Six FIFA officials arrested, including a vice president, Jeffrey Webb, who's a protégé of Blatter.

This is devastating for FIFA. Blatter will shove his head in the sand and say it's business as usual, but this is his biggest crisis to date.
We just have to hope that one of those arrested rolls over and implicates the Fat Controller. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 27, 2015 11:32 am

Let's hope that if the voting for the Qatar and Russian World Cups can be proved to be compromised, then something is done to rectify the situation.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Gramps, is this a good time to use my favourite Adolf Hitler quote? :)

"You only have to kick the door in and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down."

Mr Hitler was referring to having a go at Russia in 1941 (Operation Barbarossa) but I like to think it's applicable to this situation. FIFA's corruption surely has to end soon!

Bring it on.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Let's hope that if the voting for the Qatar and Russian World Cups can be proved to be compromised, then something is done to rectify the situation.
Thanks for that statement of the obvious Pete, but once again, you've missed the point.

There is a tonne of evidence out there to suggest the World Cup bidding was corrupt, certainly the Qatar bid.

But FIFA have ignored, discounted or tried to discredit any evidence or witness who says there was corruption.

There is no will in FIFA to tackle this problem. It's taken the FBI to get involved for any sort of action to be taken.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 27, 2015 12:31 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Gramps, is this a good time to use my favourite Adolf Hitler quote? :)

"You only have to kick the door in and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down."

Mr Hitler was referring to having a go at Russia in 1941 (Operation Barbarossa) but I like to think it's applicable to this situation. FIFA's corruption surely has to end soon!

Bring it on.
Unfortunately, I don't think it will. FIFA will never be free from corruption. As the American justice department's statement said today, corruption is now institutionalised there. It's the way it operates.

The only remedy is to disband FIFA and start again.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 27, 2015 12:59 pm

The upcoming FIFA election is a farce.

The only two remaining candidates are as bad as eachother, and the entire organisation is clearly rotten to the core.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 28, 2015 9:54 am

I see Greg Dyke wants the election to continue, because he thinks the tide has now turned against Blatter.

What a fool he is. If only we had an FA chairman who actually understands world football.

Outside Europe, Blatter is massively popular. The development grants (i.e. bungs) paid to irrelevant, pissant nations ensure that. Even with all the arrests and investigations, Blatter would still win the election by a mile.

Most do not care about the corruption allegations, mainly because most national football associations around the world are corrupt themselves.

If UEFA want Blatter gone, they should withdraw from FIFA and go it alone. That would give the sponsors another organisation to back and frankly, Europe is by far the most lucrative continent in football.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 28, 2015 11:22 am

Sounds like the whole tower of cards is falling down. Blatter's rival is calling for Russia to be stripped of holding the WC in 2018 and it to be awarded to England instead. You can't argue with that.