Champions League

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ArmchairDiehard
Team Supported: Darlington

Champions League

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Anyone had a flutter?

£10 on Juventus to win in normal time at 5-1 and £10 on Barcelona to win 3-1 at 12/1
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

DarloOnTheUp

Re: Champions League

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:47 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:Anyone had a flutter?

£10 on Juventus to win in normal time at 5-1 and £10 on Barcelona to win 3-1 at 12/1
£5 on Barca to win 2-0 with Suarez scoring anytime and £10 for Barca to win on penalties.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Not the best start for the neutrals, but Barcelona opened them up like a packet of crisps there.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:41 am

Well done!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 am

Spyman wrote:

Well done!
Aye, good call.

Also, does anyone else think Barcelona are a better side under Luis Enrique than they were under Guardiola?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:22 pm

I'd say different rather than better. I enjoy watching it a bit more! I do also think like for like they have better players.

Guardiola played in the best way to suite the Xavi, Iniesta and Messi trio. They have a different animal in Suarez and Neymar.

Ter Stegen is a massive improvement on Victor Valdes. Jordi Alba better than Abidal, Messi is in his prime and he has Neymar and Suarez alongside him, which is again an improvement on Eidur Gudjohnson and Henrik Larsson who Guardiola had. Puyol was better than Mascherano is at CB and Alves is obviously not player he was a few years ago.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:31 pm

lo36789 wrote:I'd say different rather than better. I enjoy watching it a bit more! I do also think like for like they have better players.

Guardiola played in the best way to suite the Xavi, Iniesta and Messi trio. They have a different animal in Suarez and Neymar.

Ter Stegen is a massive improvement on Victor Valdes. Jordi Alba better than Abidal, Messi is in his prime and he has Neymar and Suarez alongside him, which is again an improvement on Eidur Gudjohnson and Henrik Larsson who Guardiola had. Puyol was better than Mascherano is at CB and Alves is obviously not player he was a few years ago.
Eh? Which team are you comparing here?

Guardiola was at Barcelona for about 4 years so he had better players than the ones you've mentioned at various points in his tenure (such as Alexis Sanchez).

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:57 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I'd say different rather than better. I enjoy watching it a bit more! I do also think like for like they have better players.

Guardiola was at Barcelona for about 4 years so he had better players than the ones you've mentioned at various points in his tenure (such as Alexis Sanchez).
I thought that too. Surely it would have been fairer to use the likes of David Villa and Pedro, who actually started the 2011 Champions League final, than ageing players from the start of Guardiola's era.

The Larsson thing is wrong anyway. Larsson left Barca in 06. Guardiola didn't take over until 08.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:

I thought that too. Surely it would have been fairer to use the likes of David Villa and Pedro, who actually started the 2011 Champions League final, than ageing players from the start of Guardiola's era.

The Larsson thing is wrong anyway. Larsson left Barca in 06. Guardiola didn't take over until 08.
Plus Gudjohnsen left after Guardiola's first year, as did Eto'o, who scored 30 goals in his last season at Barcelona, so why use Gudjohnsen as a comparison and not Eto'o?

Strange choice of players to compare.

I'd say David Villa, in his prime, was at a similar level to Suarez, and Alexis Sanchez was/is at a similar level to Neymar.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:53 pm

You are right. I forgot about Villa and Eto'o...somehow!

I would still say that Suarez/Neymar is a better supporting cast than those two - but I was never a big fan of Eto'o and always thought Villa was better in a Spain shirt than he was for Barcelona - seemed to be pushed out to left wing more (it the same way the newer players have been it suites them better).

Sanchez was at the very end of Guardiola's tenure wasn't he joined in 2011 and Guardiola left a year later?

I'd have put them the other way round Suarez>Sanchez and Neymar as a wide striker > Villa - as a central striker it would be the other way round. Eto'o in the form he was in for Guardiola was better than Neymar though. I might be biased though as even though I always thought Eto'o was a little lazy I absolutely can't stand Neymar.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:53 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:

And Ter Stegen looks a fucking liability to me.

I'd say Barca don't look as unplayable as they did back in 2011 when Iniesta and Xavi were at their peak and Messi arguably was too. They still look bloody good though and are probably less reliant on two or three individuals for the style to work now.

Of course, six months ago Enrique was on the verge of a sacking, so all can change very quickly.

I've noticed a big cynical trend recently for Guardiola-bashing, which I find a bit silly really.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Spyman wrote: And Ter Stegen looks a fucking liability to me.

I'd say Barca don't look as unplayable as they did back in 2011 when Iniesta and Xavi were at their peak and Messi arguably was too. They still look bloody good though and are probably less reliant on two or three individuals for the style to work now.

Of course, six months ago Enrique was on the verge of a sacking, so all can change very quickly.

I've noticed a big cynical trend recently for Guardiola-bashing, which I find a bit silly really.
Ter Stegen only plays their European games: Claudio Bravo has been their number one in the league.

And I agree with most of that, and yes any Guardiola bashing is silly as his teams, when on form, can be unplayable as you said. I think his Bayern team has been unlucky in Europe this year due to injuries.

I just feel that Barcelona's current tactical setup encourages more of a direct, fast-paced attack, where they look like scoring in every attack almost. But yeah, Guardiola's Barcelona were still amazing at their peak.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Barcelona played brilliantly and deserved to win, but Juventus played their part in a great final, that lived up to the hype for once.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Had Chiellini played I think it would have been even closer. Not the foward line you want to face with your nations best defender out!

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Barcelona played brilliantly and deserved to win, but Juventus played their part in a great final, that lived up to the hype for once.
To be fair, we've had quite a few memorable finals in recent years.
Quakerz wrote:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Barcelona played brilliantly and deserved to win, but Juventus played their part in a great final, that lived up to the hype for once.
To be fair, we've had quite a few memorable finals in recent years.
Have we? I can't remember any Image

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DC

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Last years was pretty good I though, especially with the late comeback from Real.

I suppose it depends on how long you class as recent. I was thinking back to the United one in 1999, and then I realised just how long ago it actually was.
Quakerz wrote: