Gary Brown returns to Darlo!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tezza
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gary Brown returns to Darlo!

Post by tezza » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Great Signing ... Sadly missed this season.

Captain Bloodsnot ... Roll on Salford

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:12 pm

This is fantastic news welcome home Gary Brown.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Superb news from a squad point of view.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Fantastic news. Welcome back Gary.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Happy that he's back but it does lead to some pleasant headaches for Martin Gray.

Where does Brown fit in, RB or CB? I'd venture it'll be RB as I get the impression Gray isn't convinced about Gibbons playing there.

Which then leaves the question - who out of White, Hunter and Burgess make up the CB pairing?

And should Brown regain the captaincy from Burgess?

But so long as he's maintained his fitness, his leadership skills are something that could prove vital this season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm

I'd be temped to have a back 4 of Brown/White/Hunter/Galbraith. Tried and tested, albeit at a lower level.

I do expect White to get a 7/8 match ban though. It'll be interesting to see whether Gray puts Burgess straight in for him, or puts Brown at centre-half with Gibbons full-back.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Brown at CB for me. Hunter to RB. Burgess alongside. White suspended probably.

I've said all season that the Burgess/Hunter partnership isn't working. They just don't complement each other. Hunter needs direction. If he gets it, he's excellent. Burgess isn't that tpye of player for them to work together as a partnership.

An excellent signing. You have to wonder what's changed? Sick of nappies?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Hopefully back to what we know worked well(most of the time)last season,Brown,White,Hunter and Galbraith at the back.Niether Gibbons or Burgess have been convincing this season in my opinion and Hunter is a better player with White beside him.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Yes great signing for us. I'd imagine that he's persuaded his partner, that he can't do without coming to Darlo. I'd like to see his in the heart of our defence. But whatever position he plays, it's a pleasant problem for Gray to deal with.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:33 pm

It makes me wonder if the White ban is getting closer and more apparant, may be what sparked the move.

If White is found 'guilty' of assaulting a match official then I would expect minimum 8 games (Di Canio?), maximum 1 year suspension (the latter is a case I heard about from back in the days that suspensions were time rather than match governed, he headbutted a referee though - a bit different to a push - I also heard of a lifetime ban and prison sentence for attempted murder on a match official before but that was Sunday league and involved a gun).

Anyway - feels to me that there is some precaution coming in that we are going to be down to Gibbons, Burgess, Hunter and Galbraith. Makes sense to have someone who can cover two positions in that back 4.

I actually think that Hunter, Brown, Burgess, Galbraith may be the way to go but time will tell.

PS who on twitter asked "do you know any decent right backs?". I can't decide if this is a rhetorical question almost suggesting Brown is that decent right back, or if it is some strange sense of humour joking that Brown isn't very good?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:35 pm

I'd have Brown at right-back - the times I saw him there last season he was very good, particularly the play-off final where he was a good outlet going forward. We also get his long-throw back.

Hunter and White in the middle for me, Burgess if White is suspended.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Spyman wrote:I'd have Brown at right-back - the times I saw him there last season he was very good, particularly the play-off final where he was a good outlet going forward. We also get his long-throw back.

Yep, why change a winning formula? I thought Brown adapted into a very good right back, and that throw was a potent attacking weapon we've missed. We've certainly not found anyone to play there that's close to him since he left. For a CB by trade he's also very good at attacking down the flank, something Hunter doesn't give you.

It could spell the end of Alan White's Darlo career tho I fear.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Not another debate about RB's please!

We've now got 2 RB's, 2 LB's & 3CB's plus two of those full backs can play at CB and Nowakowski can also play at CB.

I'd be looking to move one of the CB's on after White's suspension is confirmed/served.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm

divas wrote:
Spyman wrote:I'd have Brown at right-back - the times I saw him there last season he was very good, particularly the play-off final where he was a good outlet going forward. We also get his long-throw back.

It could spell the end of Alan White's Darlo career tho I fear.
Will it?

Unless he is suspended for the remainder of the season, then I don't think it will. I still think that he's the best centre-half at the club.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:04 pm

I am going for a six match ban for white.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:12 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Brown at CB for me. Hunter to RB. Burgess alongside. White suspended probably.

I've said all season that the Burgess/Hunter partnership isn't working. They just don't complement each other. Hunter needs direction. If he gets it, he's excellent. Burgess isn't that tpye of player for them to work together as a partnership.

An excellent signing. You have to wonder what's changed? Sick of nappies?
I disagree Hunter was poor at RB, defensively ok but going forward and distribution was poor, back four for me Brown Burgess Hunter Galbraith, White is imo better than Burgess but with the ban looming he will have to wait it out.
Anyway with Brown back we have a number of options.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Great news - delighted to have Browny back.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Straight back into RB. Hunter gives us no attacking threat and he's got pace for the centre which we need. Gibbons can be moved on now. White is coaching too so no need for him to want to play every game.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Wonder what position he played, whilst with Shildon?

Great article in today's Echo about Gary, Which gives the background to why he came back to Darlo.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... arlington/

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:14 pm

As Gary himself said he'll be starting from scratch. One of the reasons I like Brown is his modesty. Personally, I think he is well up to this league but I also think there are more naturally gifted players technically in the squad. Brown is a good footballer but what he also brings is leadership and attitude like Burgess/Scott/White and when the going gets rough you need players like him. For better or worse you know Browny is there on the pitch. Gray and the coaching staff have improved Brown and Scott massively since the NL days and frankly any side of mine would have both of them in at some stage. However, it is not a gimme because the talent threshold continues to get higher from what I've seen. Nobody has mentioned Galbraith who has been brilliant in the centre.