Contenders for player of the season.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Contenders for player of the season.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:41 pm

As the season is coming towards it's end, I was wondering who you'd pick as our players of the season? Normally there are just a few contenders, but this season you could make an argument for most of our team to be contenders. But I'll go for Galbraith. He's been Mr. Consistent and his set-piece deliveries have been superb and as a result we have scored many goals from them. Finally he has chipped in with a few goals as well.

dickdarlington

Re: Contenders for player of the season.

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Disagree wholeheartedly. Galbraith, as good as he is for his attacking credentials etc is not the strongest of defenders. Watson was a better left back in my opinion. Brown and Hunter perform far better for their defensive positions than Terry (this is not me slating him).

Collectively no one who is still a part of the squad stands out for being below par. And special mentions for Thommo and Scott since December. But for me it's got to be either Cartman or Turnbull.

Out of the two, Sir Philip Turnbull gets my vote. The man is pure class.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote: Finally he has chipped in with a few goals as well.
Galbraith has scored 10, 8 and 11 over the 12/13, 13/14 and 14/15 seasons respectively. He also now has 6 this season.

It hasn't been a case of him "finally" chipping in with a few goals, he's been doing it consistently every season.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:25 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Disagree wholeheartedly. Galbraith, as good as he is for his attacking credentials etc is not the strongest of defenders. Watson was a better left back in my opinion. Brown and Hunter perform far better for their defensive positions than Terry (this is not me slating him).
Sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly.

Galbraith is better defensively, is stronger and taller. MG clearly shares this view as that is why Watson left.

Both very good full-backs but Galbraith edges it for me. His dead-ball delivery is just a bonus.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:30 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Disagree wholeheartedly. Galbraith, as good as he is for his attacking credentials etc is not the strongest of defenders. Watson was a better left back in my opinion. Brown and Hunter perform far better for their defensive positions than Terry (this is not me slating him).

Collectively no one who is still a part of the squad stands out for being below par. And special mentions for Thommo and Scott since December. But for me it's got to be either Cartman or Turnbull.

I know it's all opinions but I disagree with yours!

Galbraith a deserved nomination for player of the season. Watson was a good left back at this level but Galbraith is exceptional. Martin Gray correctly recognised this and took some unfair flack for it. Galbraith is much better in the air and has a left foot like a wand, leading to an outrageous amount of assists for a defender.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Good call for Galbraith,but for me it has to be Nathan Cartman who has become a complete player, chase,s balls holds play higher up the field bringing others into play and scores goals as well , his all round ability and never say die attitude wins it for me.
that is only my opinion.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:50 pm

No debate needed for me. The conversation should start and stop with Phil Turnbull. But I will predict right now he'll get overlooked even though he shouldn't.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:50 pm

The problem we have for deciding player of the year is also the same problem faced with picking man of the match for last night.

Basically they have all played well but as a team, you could argue the case for so many and as a group they have improved massively.

Turnbull, Scott, Cartman, Gaskell, Brown or Galbraith andthat is probably being harsh on the others.

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:00 pm

No doubt in my mind Terry Galbraith for player of the season.After all he is the best looking.Seriously though he has had a great season.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:13 pm

TFDM wrote:No debate needed for me. The conversation should start and stop with Phil Turnbull. But I will predict right now he'll get overlooked even though he shouldn't.
Agreed.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:23 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
TFDM wrote:No debate needed for me. The conversation should start and stop with Phil Turnbull. But I will predict right now he'll get overlooked even though he shouldn't.
Agreed.
Seconded. Cartman second and everyone else in third.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:33 pm

And a mention for Lee Gaskell too. 14 goals in 25 games for a player with no pre-season with us, and travelling from Manchester for training and home games. Popping his shoulder back in at Salford away before scoring a brace, and then there were those stunning strikes against Blyth & Matlock.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 pm

Turnbull. Thank god for those postponements when he was injured, and thanks god he chose to give up full time football. He's magic with the ball at his feet but his leadership is also a huge plus point.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Turnbull... consistently excellent and that's what should earn him the award. I'll bet the players will also choose him.

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Turnbull for me, super consistent once he found his feet, but.......we have now got a squad that for me has absolutely no weak links, as last night showed. I would have confidence of any of them playing and doing the job. That's never been the case before, there has been those one or two players that I just haven't particularly thought much of from a footballing perspective.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Which players have won this award over the previous three seasons?

Can someone remind me ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:51 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Which players have won this award over the previous three seasons?

Can someone remind me ?
I could be wrong but I think it was Portas last season and Thompson the year previous to that. Can't remember the Northern League season, Gary Brown perhaps?

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:56 pm

I too would go Galbraith given that he has also slotted in at centre back for us.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm torn between 3.

Turnbull is without doubt pure class. He is the best footballer at the club. He is a class above this level and will probably be a class above the Conf North too. Was an incredible signing at the start of the season and he's just gone on to show everyone how good he is.

Cartman, his spirit and work ethic every single time he pulls on the shirt is exactly what I want to see from every Darlo player. He had a slower start when he arrived but I don't know where we'd be without him. His hard work makes goals for his team mates and he's got a fair haul himself.

Scott. This man should take a bow. Got to say I thought he would be a squad player at this level. A little out of his depth technically and the player you shove on near the end to close a game out. Well how wrong I've been. Not only has he barely missed a game but he has gone about his work with incredible commitment. His hard work allows players like turnbull to go about their business in their own classy way..... And lets not forget that goal against Salford. The boy can score too.

And all that is without honourable mentions for Galbraith, Thompson and Gaskell.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:11 pm

This^^
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Spot on JE93. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Turnbull I think will win it. Cartman has lived up to expectations, while Scott to me has been brilliant, like a new signing!!

(check over post, don't use "of"/ use "have")
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:31 pm

I'll stick a vote in for Gary Brown seing as no-one else has yet. Such a difference since he came back. Mr safety. And he even gets a few goals up front.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:42 pm

No doubt in my mind....Phil Turnbull, the lad is too good for this league, id have him down as Gray's best signing

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:48 pm

To be honest I don't disagree with much of the above - how refreshing to have a bunch of excellent candidates up for it. I'd have no issue with any of those mentioned above winning it.

My twopenneth on Turnbull? He's a class act but has benefitted a lot from having Scott alongside him. Shoot me down but I wasn't that impressed with the Portas/Turnbull combination at the start of the season. Nothing against Portas who is also a class act but I just didn't think it worked quite so well with them in the middle together.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Galbraith in my opinion is a much superior left back to Watson.

I do agree with you about Turnbull. He's so much better than this level it's staggering, and would be my choice for player of the season.

As others have said though, the whole team has been very solid this year. Cases can be made for basically all of the first choice XI, which says it all really!

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:As the season is coming towards it's end, I was wondering who you'd pick as our players of the season? Normally there are just a few contenders, but this season you could make an argument for most of our team to be contenders. But I'll go for Galbraith. He's been Mr. Consistent and his set-piece deliveries have been superb and as a result we have scored many goals from them. Finally he has chipped in with a few goals as well.
Not it's not.................we are only 3 quarters of the way through the season? Pete really has got some of you going here, let's hope none of those mentioned now experience a dip in form! For what it's worth my vote is..................

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:27 pm

It's coming towards the end of an excellent season and there is nothing wrong with asking for peoples opinions. Plenty of good points put forward for various candidates.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Pete my comment was slightly tongue in cheek. I still think there is time (12 regular season league games left) for someone to put in some game changing performances and change some of the views above.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:56 pm

I hope your right as it would be great if someone had a stellar end to the season and helped us win promotion outright.

davey247

Post by davey247 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm another in the Turnbull camp. Watching him every week is an absolute joy. In his interview pre-season where he proclaimed he was the best midfielder in the Conference and will be again, I though he was a bit of a Billy Big Bollocks but he has delivered and then some.

A mention too (like others) for Leon Scott. What form he has been in the 2nd half of this season!!! If you told any Darlo fan 12 months that Leon Scott would be keeping Tom Portas out of a central midfield slot, they'd tell you to do one. However Leon has developed in such a way and formed a partnership with Phil that has made him integral to the team and the recent form we have enjoyed.