Long distance fans

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Long distance fans

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:57 pm

I heard last night of a bloke from Swindon who drove up to watch last night's game, then drove back to Swindon getting home at 3 or 4 in the morning and then he had a business meeting at 9. Now that's true devotion.

Who else travels long distances to games?

I know comeondarlo is coming up from Stevenage for tomorrow's game, great effort COD.

Spyman

Re: Long distance fans

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I heard last night of a bloke from Swindon who drove up to watch last night's game, then drove back to Swindon getting home at 3 or 4 in the morning and then he had a business meeting at 9. Now that's true devotion.

I know comeondarlo is coming up from Stevenage for tomorrow's game, great effort COD.
There used to be a chap from Swindon who posted on here back in the Dave Penney era who went to a lot of games but I think drifted away. I met him a few times as I went to a lot of home and away around that time too.

I wonder if it might be the same guy.

I'm contemplating trying to head up to Whitby tomorrow but not sure I'll be able to get away from work.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Texas Chris is mid Atlantic

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Big question is will Darlo Pete be journeying and will he hit the right ground ..his orienteering skills have been questionable in the past. !

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:32 pm

This bloke has been travelling home & away to virtually every game for 30+ years from London.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:36 pm

We once had a 'fan' who flew over from Rhodes but got stopped at airport security and sent back.

Allegedly.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:16 pm

I regularly travel up from Oxford. And if we go up I've got a fair few closer venues to look forward to.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:01 pm

I drove up from South Bucks for last night's game and got back at 2.45am...still coming back up for Whitby tomorrow though! And Rushall on Saturday although that's only 90 minutes from me.

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Where else are fans "regularly" travelling from to watch us and why??? .. for instance I know guys that travel from Thirsk every home game ..I would naturally think York or Leeds would have held more appeal by locality.

footifan

Post by footifan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:08 pm

tezza wrote:Texas Chris is mid Atlantic

I wish, too early for me this week.
I should be on my old stomping ground of Blackwell Meadows for the first game next season. :thumbup:

I should be over for a month or so, first games since Wembley Trophy win

On that note I have suggested an expats reunion both UK & overseas around that time...message me if you are interested.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:12 pm

Waiting for the jokes about person travelling from [place] who are travelling 50 years in time every game...

There used to be a guy I always saw at home and away game from Milton Keynes. I spoke to him at Euston train station after Wembley as I was heading back up to Liverpool.

Think his story was he was based in Catterick and started watching Darlo and has followed every since. He used to have a season ticket a few seats away from me years ago but I don't think I've seen him since Wembley if truth be told.

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Spyman wrote:We once had a 'fan' who flew over from Rhodes but got stopped at airport security and sent back.

Allegedly.
that got a little chuckle

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Risking derision from all quarters we tend to travel to lots of aways and I often have conversations with people who've come from all over the place to random games like the lad I met at Aldershot who was from London. Some travelling regulars have disappeared over the non-league years. I'm fascinated by the regulars I see on our travels, especially the group who always go by train from darlo (I think) even for a Wrexham night game!!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:14 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Risking derision from all quarters we tend to travel to lots of aways and I often have conversations with people who've come from all over the place to random games like the lad I met at Aldershot who was from London. Some travelling regulars have disappeared over the non-league years. I'm fascinated by the regulars I see on our travels, especially the group who always go by train from darlo (I think) even for a Wrexham night game!!!
If I am not mistaken I think we met on a Merseyrail train to Chester a number of years ago...can't remember if it was a Chester or Wrexham game.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Neil Johnson has a story to tell after he was locked out during the Tom Hughes years when he came over from Norway.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:31 pm

I think it was Chester... Big walk to the ground!

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I heard last night of a bloke from Swindon who drove up to watch last night's game, then drove back to Swindon getting home at 3 or 4 in the morning and then he had a business meeting at 9. Now that's true devotion.

I'm currently doing mini tour of Scotland. Stopping in Jedburgh tonight, so not travelling that far really.
All worked out really well tbh!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Don't belittle your efforts to get to the game tomorrow COD. I find it astonishing how we've kept most of our support intact, over quite a traumatic period for the club. Everybody have a safe journey tomorrow.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 am

There are regular attendees who travel to home matches from Norway, London, Chester, Sheffield and March. Less frequent attendees amongst this same group travel from Cardiff, London and Beverley. Most of those people also have 500 Club Season Tickets.

Martin Deans comes from London for every home match to volunteer as a steward.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:21 am

Just got back last night to Milford after a week in Darlo for the three "home" games. Brilliant week, three games, nine points and a 7-1 aggregate to Darlo. It broke my heart to come home with the title as yet undecided, but if I'd gone to the extra expense of carrying on to Whitby, and possibly Rushall, I risked being unable to afford another trip for the first game at BM (whenever that might be). So, to all of you who will be there, I hope you've still got voices left after the extraordinary din on Tuesday night, to drive the lads on to finish the job. Good luck to all supporters, players, management, volunteers and anyone else I have failed to mention. Also BIG thanks to Spennymoor, as it would have been a highly frustrating week if we had failed to play the two games they very generously allowed us to use their ground for.

Now finish the job, I'll be jumping up and down on the sofa listening. :roll:

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't get to many games at present due to finance ( houses are EXPENSIVE!) and work pressure but rely on Darlo Fans Radio to keep me connected. I will be there on Saturday - as long as I don't lose my wallet, money and train tickets again ;-)

Well done to all those who keep going and travelling, whatever the distance.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:48 pm

I travel to home games from Newton Aycliffe. Once I got home as late as 5:20pm after a Saturday game.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:48 pm

I commuted to home games from Munich for two seasons until I moved permanently - and even then I planned visits home around Darlo's consecutive home games, especially if they were Saturday Tuesday games (often going straight to the airport on the Tuesday night, getting the first flight Wednesday morning for work).
Also when I was on assignment in Liverpool, I arranged to stay in UK whenever Darlo were at home on the weekend. Even worse than that, when Unterhaching were in the German Second division, I'd watch Darlo and Haching on the same weekend if they were both at home - Haching either played Friday night (last flight to Munich Thursday night and back the first flight Saturday morning), or Sunday afternoon (first flight Sunday morning and back on the first flight Monday morning for work).

Then my girlfriend moved in and the good times were over...now I'm lucky to make two games a season

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:55 pm

OHDFC wrote: Then my girlfriend moved in and the good times were over...now I'm lucky to make two games a season
You think you've got troubles now, wait till you marry her. :roll:

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:03 pm

joejaques wrote:
OHDFC wrote: Then my girlfriend moved in and the good times were over...now I'm lucky to make two games a season
You think you've got troubles now, wait till you marry her. :roll:
I wish you'd told me that before last Friday...

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Used to drive from Chiswick (West London) to Darlo for maybe two thirds of our home games.

When we got pumped out of the conference in to the sister romancing league I had to knock it on the head. Its one thing ditching the misses every other Saturday to do a 500 mile round trip to watch league 2 or BSP football, but i couldn't justify it to watch glorified pub league footy
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

leedstownfan
Team Supported: Huddersfield Town

Post by leedstownfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Amazing posts on this thread. Real supporters watching real football. Respect

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:25 pm

leedstownfan wrote:Amazing posts on this thread. Real supporters watching real football. Respect
I gave up watching Nottingham Forest just after they had secured a second European Cup to support Darlington-never regretted it!!

The Ozzman Cometh
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

leedstownfan
Team Supported: Huddersfield Town

Post by leedstownfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:28 pm

The_Ozzman_Cometh wrote:
leedstownfan wrote:Amazing posts on this thread. Real supporters watching real football. Respect
I gave up watching Nottingham Forest just after they had secured a second European Cup to support Darlington-never regretted it!!

The Ozzman Cometh
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Guess which team I gave up watching to follow Huddersfield Town? Like you, never regretted it

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:Used to drive from Chiswick (West London) to Darlo for maybe two thirds of our home games.

When we got pumped out of the conference in to the sister romancing league I had to knock it on the head. Its one thing ditching the misses every other Saturday to do a 500 mile round trip to watch league 2 or BSP football, but i couldn't justify it to watch glorified pub league footy
Sister romancing league....love it!! :)