EU Referendum

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

EU Referendum

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:09 am

How do you predict the country will vote in the up coming EU referendum? And do you feel the increasing risk of terrorism will sway a significant proportion of the population to vote to leave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EU Referendum

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:59 am

It's very hard to say which way the referendum will go at the moment, as the vote is too far away and there are loads of people like myself that are undecided as to which way to vote.

I think terrorism abroad or in Britain won]t be a big factor, as being in or out of the EU, won't stop Britain's from being radicalised.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:19 pm

I know which way I'm going to vote, but leaving that to one side I predict a narrow vote to stay in will be the result.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:02 pm

I predict, though I hope I'm wrong, that we will be conned into staying in like we were last time. :roll:

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Most likely we'll stay in. As we found out last year polls can't always be trusted, but they generally point at least narrowly in favour of staying in, plus as you get closer to a referendum the undecideds tend to fall increasingly on the side of keeping the status quo.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:18 pm

I've known for years that if we ever got a vote on it again I'd vote out, so none of the fuss and hullabaloo that both sides are making would ever make me change my mind. If it was just a free trade organisation like we were conned in to believing in 1975, then fair enough. We now have the benefit of hindsight. I still feel guilty for voting for it in the first place back then, but I blame Heath for that.
Vote out. No brainer.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:13 pm

In a utopian society I'd vote out.

But, we don't live in a utopian society and my family and I stand to gain a lot more from staying in than leaving.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:00 am

Feethams 1966 wrote:I've known for years that if we ever got a vote on it again I'd vote out, so none of the fuss and hullabaloo that both sides are making would ever make me change my mind. If it was just a free trade organisation like we were conned in to believing in 1975, then fair enough. We now have the benefit of hindsight. I still feel guilty for voting for it in the first place back then, but I blame Heath for that.
Vote out. No brainer.
I can just remember the info leaflets that every house got through the post in 1975. One of the selling points of the 'stay in' vote was that a bottle of wine would a bit cheaper to buy - cheese too! It sounds ridiculous now but I suspect a lot voting decisions back then were based on these type of simplistic viewpoints.
Hawkeye wrote:the undecideds tend to fall increasingly on the side of keeping the status quo.
You've got to keep the Quo- those three chords need to keep working.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 am

I thought I'd always vote to stay in if there was ever a vote, but Francois Hollande comments about the consequences of an out vote, has persuaded me to join the out vote.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:15 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I thought I'd always vote to stay in if there was ever a vote, but Francois Hollande comments about the consequences of an out vote, has persuaded me to join the out vote.
This is 'Project Fear' at work!!

Yesterday George Osbourne said that if we vote to leave, Raj Singh will take over Darlington Football Club (again) - and we will be thrown out of National North and placed into the abyss of The Northern League........again.

I will still vote out though.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I thought I'd always vote to stay in if there was ever a vote, but Francois Hollande comments about the consequences of an out vote, has persuaded me to join the out vote.
This is 'Project Fear' at work!!

Yesterday George Osbourne said that if we vote to leave, Raj Singh will take over Darlington Football Club (again) - and we will be thrown out of National North and placed into the abyss of The Northern League........again.

I will still vote out though.
George Osborn would need a native guide with SatNav to find Darlington. :roll:

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:12 pm

I'm voting out, but predict that the turnout won't be as high as people seem to think with the end result of a narrow 'in' vote.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:16 pm

A low turnout would favour an 'out' vote.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:52 pm

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:19 am

As with any vote the activists are the ones voting for change. A low turnout would mean activists will out number those who vote to keep things the same.

One thing you can guarantee all out voters will be there.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 am

It should be a high turnout, but given the length of the campaign, some people will be that fed up, they'll lose the will to vote. I'm involved with the Crime Commissioners Election on Thursday. Four years ago the turnout in the Darlo area was 14%, we'll be lucky to reach that figure this year. Hopefully the good weather forecast for the day will encourage a better turnout.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm involved with the Crime Commissioners Election on Thursday. Four years ago the turnout in the Darlo area was 14%, we'll be lucky to reach that figure this year.
What makes one crime commissioner different from another? From what I can make out people need to go out of the way to have any idea what they are voting for.

I am actually surprised as many as 14% did.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 02, 2016 9:50 pm

I think the vast majority of that 14% will just vote for a party, rather than having any idea what that person stands for or their policies.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 am

So you are actually admitting it is a pointless exercise. Tell me Pete how much do these crime commissioners elections cost the public purse?

I guess I don't understand why we need an elected individual in this role? We don't elect the leader of the fire service in the region (as far as I am aware - or do we waste money on that as well).

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 03, 2016 12:45 pm

lo36789 wrote:So you are actually admitting it is a pointless exercise. Tell me Pete how much do these crime commissioners elections cost the public purse?

I guess I don't understand why we need an elected individual in this role? We don't elect the leader of the fire service in the region (as far as I am aware - or do we waste money on that as well).
I don't know how much it costs to run the crime commissioners election, but I don't think the Council has to meet the cost. Next year probably at the start of May there will be an election for the directly elected mayor, for the Tees Valley area.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Im voting out, people have a fear of the unknown I appreciate that - but we have got to think how Europe is currently working - it is undemocratic and lots of countries with different agenda's and different cultures are shaping our future at the moment.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Just got back from my polling station and the turnout of those that could vote, was just a fraction below 30%, better than I was expecting.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

EU Referendum

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu May 05, 2016 11:58 pm

I got told the turn out was 18% today, which, although being very low, was higher than I was expecting.

Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 06, 2016 6:36 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:I got told the turn out was 18% today, which, although being very low, was higher than I was expecting.

Well 18% is an increase on 4 years ago in Darlo, so at least the vote is going the right way. Whether it continues to go ahead again in 4 years time, will depend on whether the % over the whole country has increased at all

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun May 15, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm voting out as at least then we will have total control over our own country, and only one set of politicians ruling over us.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun May 15, 2016 1:06 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:I'm voting out as at least then we will have total control over our own country, and only one set of politicians ruling over us.
The thing is, what you espouse isn't true.

If we want to trade with Europe, which without our economy won't function, we will need to sign a trade agreement with the EU which will necessitate spending around 70% of our current contribution, adopting most of the EU rules and directives, but having zero influence on any of them.

If we leave the EU, London's place as the financial capital of the world ends and it will never recover, our housing market will stagnate or recede and our job creation will shrink over the next 20 years.

The world has changed beyond recognition and is truly globalised and international. To isolate ourselves is suicidal in every way.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun May 15, 2016 1:18 pm

Beano wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:I'm voting out as at least then we will have total control over our own country, and only one set of politicians ruling over us.

If we want to trade with Europe, which without our economy won't function, we will need to sign a trade agreement with the EU which will necessitate spending around 70% of our current contribution, adopting most of the EU rules and directives, but having zero influence on any of them.

If we leave the EU, London's place as the financial capital of the world ends and it will never recover, our housing market will stagnate or recede and our job creation will shrink over the next 20 years.

The world has changed beyond recognition and is truly globalised and international. To isolate ourselves is suicidal in every way.
The thing is, there isn't a single fact in your post: just guesswork, assumptions, and scare tactics.

If you're trying to convince me, I need more than that.

And you mention "isolation" as if we're cutting ourselves off from the world. Erm, last time I checked, we will still be a part of the world and a part of Europe no matter what the outcome of the vote. We're not moving to Mars.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun May 15, 2016 3:58 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Beano wrote:

Norway

Google it and you will see the opinions of every credible economist.

Big businesses are multi-national. Their HQ and strategic outposts are in the markets which allow them optimal access to the most people and wealth. If we leave the EU, we won't be in that optimal position.

An example: Nissan Sunderland has a contract for the next X number of years to build the Qashqai. If we were to leave, it is extremely unlikely to be renewed as trade tarrifs will render the excellent productivity of the factory meaningless. Nissan wouldn't close overnight, but would slowly lose contracts over time until it was no longer viable.

Another example: London is perfectly placed as THE city to trade in all financial markets as the hub of EU and worldwide trade. If we leave the EU, that is very likely to shift to Frankfurt instead, for the obvious reasons. Again, it wouldn't happen overnight, but slowly overtime as lease agreements on buildings and offices run out and multi-nationals shift their HQs and strategic outposts to within the EU.

The thing is, there isn't a single fact in your post: just guesswork, assumptions, and scare tactics.

You can't use a 'facts' to describe what hasn't yet happened, only the thoughts and predictions of those who will make the changes based on the referendum.

If you're trying to convince me, I need more than that.

What more do you need than the leading academics, economists (both left and right leaning) and multi-national businesses speaking almost unitedly in these terms?

And you mention "isolation" as if we're cutting ourselves off from the world. Erm, last time I checked, we will still be a part of the world and a part of Europe no matter what the outcome of the vote. We're not moving to Mars.

We enjoyed a privileged position as policymaker rather than policy subordinate as a member of the G7, EU, UN Security Council and NATO. If we cannot influence others, we become far less relevant and far more isolated. A fact you will enjoy - the UK has been on the winning side of 97% of all EU policy votes. That is because we shape and make it.

Henley

Post by Henley » Sun May 15, 2016 4:34 pm

There are many things I could say to counter Beano but for starters let's throw some big and obvious ones back:

Japan, Korea, Canada, Australia - all big economies not in the EU. To suggest we couldn't survive comfortably alone is embarrassing.

Leading economists also say we would thrive after Brexit - a bit of short term turbulence which would be just the markets doing what the markets do. Big business and markets do not like uncertainty. Even Gormless Gideon's disgraceful Treasury report said that our GDP in 2030 would be 31% higher than now rather than 37%. Whoop-di-do. A very small price for the return to full democracy.

The U.K. has the second and third balance of trade deficits with Germany and France respectively (€40bn with Germany - as I say, that's just the deficit). Any Remainian that suggests a trade deal wouldn't be agreed with favourite terms for the UK sooner rather than later knows they are talking out of their rectum.

During Cameron's EU negotiations, he walked in there with a Royal Flush and ended up folding against a 10-high. Utter tosspot.

BeLeave.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun May 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Henley wrote:There are many things I could say to counter Beano but for starters let's throw some big and obvious ones back:

Japan, Korea, Canada, Australia - all big economies not in the EU. To suggest we couldn't survive comfortably alone is embarrassing.

Leading economists also say we would thrive after Brexit - a bit of short term turbulence which would be just the markets doing what the markets do. Big business and markets do not like uncertainty. Even Gormless Gideon's disgraceful Treasury report said that our GDP in 2030 would be 31% higher than now rather than 37%. Whoop-di-do. A very small price for the return to full democracy.

The U.K. has the second and third balance of trade deficits with Germany and France respectively (€40bn with Germany - as I say, that's just the deficit). Any Remainian that suggests a trade deal wouldn't be agreed with favourite terms for the UK sooner rather than later knows they are talking out of their rectum.

During Cameron's EU negotiations, he walked in there with a Royal Flush and ended up folding against a 10-high. Utter tosspot.

BeLeave.
I didn't say we couldn't survive, but we would be worse off, to which you've agreed.

In all fairness, you've hit the genuine crux of the issue: is the perceived gain in sovereignty worth economic sacrifice?

You think yes, I think no. And, I must add, I respect that view in my disagreement.