Gaskell

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Gaskell

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Signs a 12 month deal with us, with an option for another year.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

BaronsCourtQuaker

Re: Gaskell

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:32 pm

I'd say good news, we need the numbers up front. I'll admit he won me over a little from when he first started out with us. Had some great moments of magic over the past season.

Guess this what he was alluding too on twitter the other night.

ron-harbertson-hero

Post by ron-harbertson-hero » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Great news. Magic goal at Mickleover.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:02 pm

I know he splits opinion on here but for me he's proven he's a match winner. Great goals last season against blyth, Mickleover and Matlock. He has the ability and quality to change games.

With him signing that's Cartman, Hardy, Gaskell and Purwal as strikers. Do we think that's enough? Or might MG reach into the transfer market one more time?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:12 pm

I don't understand why Gaskell has split opinion? Yes he hit a bad run of form towards the end of the season, but he was also clearly carrying a knock. He was a major reason why we got promoted in my opinion. Glad to see he's signed a new contract.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:22 pm

JE93 wrote:With him signing that's Cartman, Hardy, Gaskell and Purwal as strikers. Do we think that's enough? Or might MG reach into the transfer market one more time?
I think we need a big Armstrong type player to come in, somebody who can cause some trouble ........... on the pitch.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:55 pm

al_quaker wrote:I don't understand why Gaskell has split opinion? Yes he hit a bad run of form towards the end of the season, but he was also clearly carrying a knock. He was a major reason why we got promoted in my opinion. Glad to see he's signed a new contract.
It puzzles me to think why anyone would not agree with this.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Great news, the lad has shown throughout the season he can create a goal from absolutely no where, just look at Matlock at home

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:08 pm

al_quaker wrote:I don't understand why Gaskell has split opinion? Yes he hit a bad run of form towards the end of the season, but he was also clearly carrying a knock. He was a major reason why we got promoted in my opinion. Glad to see he's signed a new contract.
I am glad he has put pen to paper and has committed himself for another season. I do however fall into the camp that still thinks we need to replace Army (who could change a game in a different way) but I am realistic and know that we may not be able to afford that luxury.

al_quaker you could put forward an argument that every player in every position were a "major reason" we got promoted. It was a squad effort that got us through that horrible fixture backlog.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Really pleased with this news, you don't have to look beyond what he did at Salford last season. A fully fit Gaskell, will be more than a match for nearly all defences in the Conference North next season.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:04 pm

bga wrote: al_quaker you could put forward an argument that every player in every position were a "major reason" we got promoted. It was a squad effort that got us through that horrible fixture backlog.
Of course, but I'm mainly thinking of before the backlog. His arrival seemed to give us a lift and helped take us to another level. I'm not questioning anyone else's contribution to our success last season!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:08 pm

I think part of it is that Gaskell's contribution is not as visible. By that I mean fans see Armstrong throwing his bodyweight around up front, or Dowson/Cartman racing to chase down a loose ball.

Gaskell's not particularly physical, nor is he particularly speedy. But he's a fantastic finisher and capable of the spectacular.

And he scored 14 goals, which is a good return for someone joining mid-season.

And as you rightly say, his contribution, particularly just after he joined, helped kickstart our season. We lost just 5 league games after he signed in late September (and one of those was Rushall on the last day). Not saying it was all down to him, but he undoubtedly had a part to play.

I'm very pleased he's staying.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
I think part of it is that Gaskell's contribution is not as visible. By that I mean fans see Armstrong throwing his bodyweight around up front, or Dowson/Cartman racing to chase down a loose ball.

Gaskell's not particularly physical, nor is he particularly speedy. But he's a fantastic finisher and capable of the spectacular.
Yes you're probably right.

On a side note, I do think the squad would look complete with a replacement for Armstrong. As good as our strikers are, they are all quite light weight.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Made my day that has.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Good news. If he can get back fit and get a pre-season under his belt I'm sure we will see even better if him. I think since he did his shoulder and seemed to have a lot problem with his hamstring he's been poor, but get over them and he will be great. A year is about right for both club and player.

I do agree that we also need a target man type player up front

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Happy with this. I have said it before but dunno if we will risk losing the ball so cheap by trying to hit a target man. We didn't have Purewal all last season he is like a new signing - and if people remember how he plays the ball doesn't half stick to when it's played forward.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:26 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
JE93 wrote:With him signing that's Cartman, Hardy, Gaskell and Purwal as strikers. Do we think that's enough? Or might MG reach into the transfer market one more time?
I think we need a big Armstrong type player to come in, somebody who can cause some trouble ........... on the pitch.
Was just about to post the same,some skill players up front but a little lightweight maybe?

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:54 am

Gaskell has tremendous footwork and is very skiful. My main concern is inconsistency but to be fair form will fade with too many games. Armstrong has far less miles on the clock so stayed fresh.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:16 am

Apart from his inspired goals, he has the knack of initiating dangerous attacks from deep or the wings.

His class was a big factor in last season's success.

A tall and strong striker may be necessary to complete the attacking options.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:19 am

He's a match winner. The more of those you have the better

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:24 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
So you wouldn't have let Whitey go then? :roll:

boorman

Post by boorman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:07 am

Let's not forget his hat-trick at Hyde, the goal away at Blyth (where he cut in from a long way wide and turned a speculative long ball into a one-on-one), or the goals he scored against us for Ramsbottom (I think it was a total of 6). On his day he's unbelievable. Of course the higher up the leagues you go, you can't guarantee whether someone like him will get enough time on the ball to be able to show their class consistently, but some of the goals he scored looked like football-league quality to me.

Delighted he's staying on.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Perhaps we are tying him into the club in case he gets a better offer? Good luck to the lad who has great touch and vision which can unlock defences. A valuable asset to the club.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:54 pm

This guy's like a young Lee Gaskell:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36541131

Bit like the goal at Blyth?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883