Terrorism abroad.

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Terrorism abroad.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 19, 2016 6:50 am

With the sad news of the Egyptair plane crash this morning, looking to be down to terrorism, there are very few places where you can visit, were you can feel safe. Even in Britain, I think it is only a question of time before there is another major attack, not if.
Last edited by Darlo_Pete on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fatty eats roadkill

Re: The threat of terrorism abroad.

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 am

Tip well and you'll be looked after!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:12 am

Pretty obvious there will be a major terrorist attack in the future. That prediction has probably held true since humans have access to explosives, weapons and mass settlements.

If you do hijack a plane why crash it in the sea. That only kills those on board? If it had been knowingly hijacked and was brought down by security services surely that would already be reported.

The news reports are pretty clear there is no evidence of malicious attack as yet, so guess we'll wait and see. But almost certainly yes a major terrorist attack will come in the future.

As will a major natural disaster, war, military coup and global recession.

All of the above have indicators and you can control and minimise the impacts, but they will all happen. I don't leave my door each morning in fear of the above and there is certainly no gain from living your life in fear of terrorism.

Those that fall victim end up the same place whether they spent 5 years refusing to go on holiday/fly anywhere as those who continued to do what they wanted to do...

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 19, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm off to Turkey in the summer, booked a while ago, before things started to kick-off in Turkey with the PKK. Some part of me hopes something happens in Turkey and that the British government recommends that people should not travel to Turkey and then the company we have booked with would have to book us somewhere else. But where is safe? A short while ago there were reports that ISIL were planning to attack the Brits in the Costa's.

Darlofart

The threat of terrorism abroad.

Post by Darlofart » Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 pm

[quote="Darlo_Pete"]I'm off to Turkey in the summer, booked a while ago, before things started to kick-off in Turkey with the PKK. Some part of me hopes something happens in Turkey and that the British government recommends that people should not travel to Turkey and then the company we have booked with would have to book us somewhere else. But where is safe? A short while ago there were reports that ISIL were planning to attack the Brits in the Costa's.[/quote

In that case it'll be best to play it safe and go to Starbucks.

Hnnnnnnnnnng prrrriiiiiip pfffffffft

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu May 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm off to Turkey in the summer, booked a while ago, before things started to kick-off in Turkey with the PKK. Some part of me hopes something happens in Turkey and that the British government recommends that people should not travel to Turkey and then the company we have booked with would have to book us somewhere else. But where is safe? A short while ago there were reports that ISIL were planning to attack the Brits in the Costa's.
So what you're saying is, you hope some innocent people get murdered so that your holiday gets moved somewhere else?

Pete, this thread is complete nonsense. Yes, terrorism is upsetting, but the chances of getting caught up in it almost anywhere in the world are tiny. Turkey is not a dangerous place to visit (unless you plan on hanging around near the Syrian border), and happens to be a beautiful country with a fascinating history. Stop being a drama queen and enjoy your holiday.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 19, 2016 2:49 pm

I hope I do, but I'll be relieved when we get back to England.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu May 19, 2016 2:51 pm

lo36789 wrote:Pretty obvious there will be a major terrorist attack in the future. That prediction has probably held true since humans have access to explosives, weapons and mass settlements.
Having a religion which tells you to do it in the name of God, a hatred of Western culture, and revenge motivation from us bombing them a lot helps too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:15 pm

but you said at the start England isn't safe?

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat May 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Where in Turkey would you like this to happen? The Ageaen coast where my mother in law lives - and where I am right now perhaps? You should be proactive and cancel your holiday yourself you fucking twat. We don't want the likes of you here.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat May 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Some part of me hopes something happens in Turkey and that the British government recommends that people should not travel to Turkey and then the company we have booked with would have to book us somewhere else.
You hope a terrorist attack happens so that your holiday isn't ruined?

:shock:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Can't afford to cancel, as would lose too much money as 6 of us are going. No I don't wish innocent people to be killed, but I do think it is inevitable that there is such an attack sometime sooner rather than later in Turkey. OHDFC I hope your having a great holiday.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat May 21, 2016 5:34 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Can't afford to cancel, as would lose too much money as 6 of us are going. No I don't wish innocent people to be killed, but I do think it is inevitable that there is such an attack sometime sooner rather than later in Turkey.
Translation: "No I don't wish innocent people to be killed, but seeing as it's inevitably going to happen at some point anyway it might as well get me a nicer holiday or save me some cash."

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat May 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Can't afford to cancel, as would lose too much money as 6 of us are going. No I don't wish innocent people to be killed, but I do think it is inevitable that there is such an attack sometime sooner rather than later in Turkey. OHDFC I hope your having a great holiday.
Your stupidity knows no bounds. You think there will be a terror attack in Turkey sooner rather than later because of an air crash that might or might not be terror related, but which has absolutely nothing to do with Turkey.

There have been at least three terror attacks in İstanbul and Ankara in the last 18 months, but these didn't stop you booking your holiday. However now you don't want to go because of an Egyptair plane crash.

By the way, PKK have been in conflict in Turkey for a long as İ can remember, even before İ met my wife, so İ very much doubt that you booked your holiday before that kicked off. And İ'm not on holiday

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 22, 2016 7:20 am

Of course there had been a terrorist attacks before I booked but on a small scale. The major one's in Ankara and Istanbul happened after I had already booked. Yes I know there has been a long running conflict with the PKK, but until recently disturbances have been confined to Kurdish areas of Turkey. But the conflict has been intensified with Turkey since Turkey took the fight to the PKK inside Turkey and now northern Syria. The situation has been further complicated by the nearby problems in Syria with ISIL and the fighting with Assad's regime. There is no doubt that ISIL terrorists, have crossed into Turkey disguised as Syrian refugees.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:00 am

did you book this holiday 5 years ago?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Around a year ago, before things seriously started to kick-off in the region.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun May 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Can't afford to cancel, as would lose too much money as 6 of us are going. No I don't wish innocent people to be killed, but I do think it is inevitable that there is such an attack sometime sooner rather than later in Turkey. OHDFC I hope your having a great holiday.
A terrorist attack is inevitable; a successful terrorist attack is not inevitable.

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed May 25, 2016 12:34 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
A terrorist attack is inevitable; a successful terrorist attack is not inevitable.
What makes a terrorist attack successful? :shock:

I'd say one person being maimed (not the terrorist) made it successful.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Henley wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
What makes a terrorist attack successful? :shock:

I'd say one person being maimed (not the terrorist) made it successful.
Sorry I phrased that poorly: I meant that terrorist attacks will inevitably get planned but that there's always a chance they'll be stopped by the authorities before they're able to carry them out and do any damage.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm off to Turkey in the summer, booked a while ago, before things started to kick-off in Turkey with the PKK. Some part of me hopes something happens in Turkey and that the British government recommends that people should not travel to Turkey and then the company we have booked with would have to book us somewhere else. But where is safe? A short while ago there were reports that ISIL were planning to attack the Brits in the Costa's.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36466744

Happy now, twat? Or is eleven dead not enough?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:18 pm

OHDFC wrote:

Only matters if westerner's die - that's the rule.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:46 pm

OHDFC wrote:

Why would Pete be happy? Have the British government recommended people don't travel to Turkey?

slappys forskin

Post by slappys forskin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Dont forget your tin hat Pete with terrorist attacks over the last couple of days

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:10 pm

Henley wrote:
OHDFC wrote:

Why would Pete be happy? Have the British government recommended people don't travel to Turkey?
Nope of course they haven't. The attacks at the moment, tend to be against security/police forces, so I don't expect there to be a change unless tourists are deliberately attacked.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Henley wrote:
OHDFC wrote:

You are absolutely right Henley, he wouldn't be happy. But, as I'm sure you are aware, I was justing emphasizing (not that it's needed of course) what an absolute arsehole Pete is.

Pete wants a terrorist attack to happen in a country to which he has booked a holiday, that is serious enough to cause the UK foreign office to issue a travel warning for that country so that his travel company is forced to change his holiday destination. That almost all of wife's family live in that country (although in the north west and the east so nowhere near the holiday resorts of the south, in which the arsehole has almost certainly booked) is immaterial - as others have pointed out, wishing a terrorist attack to be perpetrated because you no longer want to go to your holiday destination speaks volumes about the sort of person you are. And that's not the sort of person I want visiting mine, or my wife's, country.

Had Pete apologised when he was were called out for his crass and insensitive statement, then nothing more would have been said. But he didn't, and therefore "part of him" clearly still wants a serious terrorist attack to happen in Turkey.

If I was the same sort of person as Pete, I'd wish that his holiday destination was changed, and that his new destination was hit by a terrorist attack in which him and members of his party were killed or suffered life changing injuries, while the Turkish resort to which he was originally booked remained untouched. But I'm not like Pete, so instead, I hope that five of his holiday party have a fantastic time in Turkey, but that Pete suffers Turkish tummy the moment that he touches down in Dalaman (or even before) and spends the entire duration of his holiday in the toilet - preferably one with a hose and not a bowl.

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:41 am

I think Pete's only problem here (at least to some) is that he publicised his thoughts.

I know lots of us will think "It's probably going to happen, so please let it not be me who is the victim" but won't say it. I wouldn't admonish anyone for thinking it.

With regards to whether Pete should have said it publicly, personally speaking, I prefer people to be honest. Even if I disagree with what they say I can respect their honesty and what's the point of having a forum such as this if you feel you can't be honest?

From the EU referendum, it's hit home just how many people are unprincipled, dishonest and untrustworthy (and that's just the politicians) and, with this in mind, I feel I have no justification to attack Pete for his honesty. Pete can do things that a lot of people find abnormal but I don't believe he's evil/nasty for sharing the thought he did above.

You come across as fair-minded and decent, OHDFC, and someone who keeps things in perspective so I wouldn't want this to make you look like a reactionary Grauniad-reading 'vicarious' victim.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Henley wrote:I think Pete's only problem here (at least to some) is that he publicised his thoughts.

I know lots of us will think "It's probably going to happen, so please let it not be me who is the victim" but won't say it. I wouldn't admonish anyone for thinking it.

With regards to whether Pete should have said it publicly, personally speaking, I prefer people to be honest. Even if I disagree with what they say I can respect their honesty and what's the point of having a forum such as this if you feel you can't be honest?

From the EU referendum, it's hit home just how many people are unprincipled, dishonest and untrustworthy (and that's just the politicians) and, with this in mind, I feel I have no justification to attack Pete for his honesty. Pete can do things that a lot of people find abnormal but I don't believe he's evil/nasty for sharing the thought he did above.

You come across as fair-minded and decent, OHDFC, and someone who keeps things in perspective so I wouldn't want this to make you look like a reactionary Grauniad-reading 'vicarious' victim.
Thanks for that Henley, your words of reason are much appreciated.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:03 pm

You're not off the hook that easily Pete.

You hoped people would be killed so you could get out of your holiday, and rather stupidly admitted it publically.

Since you haven't gone back on that or apologised, then I can only presume that you still hope that more people die between now and your holiday.

All Henley said was that you were being honest and that he himself would not admonish you for thinking it, because some others might think the same too. Just because some others might think the same doesn't make it alright though, and it doesn't put you in the clear. It just means that there is potentially more than one person who should be ashamed of themselves.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Henley wrote:I think Pete's only problem here (at least to some) is that he publicised his thoughts.

Yes, well I found the comment to be out of order, and maybe I took it more personally because of my connections to Turkey. My wife's family live in a tourist resort, although not an international one, so I know how important tourism is there. We flew to Turkey on the day the plane went down and the last thing that my wife - who is a nervous flier to say the least - saw before we left for the airport was breaking news of the crash. Not the most relaxing of journeys.

We had also been in Istanbul on the day of the January attack, although only in the airport - we took off pretty much as the bomb exploded so we only found out about it when we landed. Come to think of it, I also flew the night before the Germanwings crash, although was flying to England that night.