EURO 2016

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EURO 2016

Post by Beano » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:34 pm

The best way to beat Wales - treat the game like a Premier League game.

Vardy or Rashford must start.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Russia get a disqualification that is suspended, plus a 150k Euro fine. The ban will be activated if there is anymore trouble from Russian fans inside grounds at the tournament.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Russia get a disqualification that is suspended, plus a 150k Euro fine. The ban will be activated if there is anymore trouble from Russian fans inside grounds at the tournament.
I'm not sure what the authorities can do but this is a small slap on the wrists.

Where they conjure the figure of 150K from I have no idea. I bet the Russian FA are really feeling the pinch after being awarded the next world Cup.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:27 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Russia get a disqualification that is suspended, plus a 150k Euro fine. The ban will be activated if there is anymore trouble from Russian fans inside grounds at the tournament.
I'm not sure what the authorities can do but this is a small slap on the wrists.

Where they conjure the figure of 150K from I have no idea. I bet the Russian FA are really feeling the pinch after being awarded the next world Cup.
If their fans misbehave again, then I don't think kicking them out of the tournament is exactly a small slap on the wrist.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:

If their fans misbehave again, then I don't think kicking them out of the tournament is exactly a small slap on the wrist.
What is going to constitute misbehaviour that will warrant expulsion?

Look something will invariably happen - be it one group of Russians having a single brawl in a pub or be it a mass mob causing utter destruction.

I am expecting a retaliation from some of the 'more pleasant' England fans in Lille. If we initiate violence will we get the same punishment? If we do I can't see England's tournament going the whole way without incident...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:

What is going to constitute misbehaviour that will warrant expulsion?

Look something will invariably happen - be it one group of Russians having a single brawl in a pub or be it a mass mob causing utter destruction.

I am expecting a retaliation from some of the 'more pleasant' England fans in Lille. If we initiate violence will we get the same punishment? If we do I can't see England's tournament going the whole way without incident...
This suspended sentence only relates to violence within the stadium, so brawls can take place anywhere else and it makes no difference.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If their fans misbehave again, then I don't think kicking them out of the tournament is exactly a small slap on the wrist.
The small slap on the wrists is the suspended threat. If Russia were to be kicked out of the tournament I would be absolutely amazed. Any expulsion is also subject to an appeal, how long do you think that would take? Think of the knock on effect of kicking them out of the tournament for fan behaviour then allowing them to host a World Cup in 2 years time.

My guess is that the trouble will die down, most of the Russian element interested in this would have earmarked the England game and most likely gone home now.

Presumably UEFA just hope the Russians exit the competition based on performances on the pitch sooner rather than later.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:55 am

A draw between Russia and Slovakia would be helpful today...

So if they could just go ahead and do that, that'd be great.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Bugger Bale makes it 1-0 to Wales on the verge of half-time. :thumbdown:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Cometh the hour, cometh the man, Vardy scuffs one into the net to equalise. Great decision to allow the goal by the assistant and the referee.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Brilliant Sturridge snatches it for England in injury time. Bet the police in Lens and Lille are pleased!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 am

I've read some reports that we were terrible in the first half. From where I was watching we totally dominated and created a few reasonable chances.

I still don't think we know Hodgson's best side and I don't think he does either - but Rooney, Dier and Alli in midfield seem to be working out well, and Walker has been a highlight in both games so far.

The forward line is where the confusion comes in. Sterling is out of sorts, it isn't clicking for Kane yet. If you replace Sterling with Vardy, Sturridge or Rashford you suddenly lose that width and balance and either end up playing someone out of position as a wide forward, or you go with an orthodox front two with Llallana in behind, but as I said before, I think this stifles Alli.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am

Couldn't agree more I thought we started really well. After 35minutes we seemed to slow down a bit but we were so dangerous down the right hand side. If Sterling had tucked away that early chance we would have been flying.

Completely agree on that centre of midfield Rooney has been inspired in there. I still can't believe I am hearing people say he's rubbish he's absolutely controlled things for me.

Alli has been a bit disappointing but still think he is a better option than Barkley at the moment. I do wonder whether it is time for Wilshere. Have him along side Rooney and Dier with Alli in behind Sturridge and Kane.

Sturridge proved to me yesterday that he has got the quality over Vardy, who is still a fantastic impact player to have.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:32 am

lo36789 wrote:I do wonder whether it is time for Wilshere. Have him along side Rooney and Dier with Alli in behind Sturridge and Kane.
Why not? That formation does suit the players we've got better.

I would start Vardy ahead of Kane though, at least for the Slovakia game.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:02 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I do wonder whether it is time for Wilshere. Have him along side Rooney and Dier with Alli in behind Sturridge and Kane.
Why not? That formation does suit the players we've got better.

I would start Vardy ahead of Kane though, at least for the Slovakia game.
Yeh I do think that could work. Scrap the wide men and rely on the full-backs for pace, with Dier dropping back to cover when they bomb on.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:11 pm

I think it's worth pointing out that Russia and Wales both turned up to defend and earn a point.

Wales yesterday barely had a shot. They got lucky through Hart's mistake from Bale's free-kick and then had two efforts off target in the second half. That was it.

So if sides are turning up to try and earn a point (probably because of the ludicrous tournament format which enables third-placed sides to qualify), their main aim will be to stifle us going forward. That reduces the space for Kane in particular, who gets isolated when Lallana and Sterling don't play centrally.

For the next game, I'd go with Kane, Vardy and Sturridge in the front three. That does reduce the width in our attack, but Walker and Rose were effectively playing as wingers yesterday, so that gives you the width.

The problem is we don't have many natural wide forwards in the squad. The only one is Sterling, who is out of sorts (Vardy and Rashford can play out wide, but it's not their most effective position).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:59 pm

I think we've looked pretty promising. Yes we've played two average teams, but we've been utterly dominant. I like the formation we're playing, but unfortunately Lallana, who's played well, isn't known for his end product, and Sterling is woefully out of form, so Kane has been feeding off of scraps. We're missing Welbeck massively - he's perfect in that wide attacking role, as he provides an end product. The midfield looks nicely balanced, although we haven't seen the best of Alli.

I'd start Sturridge against Slovakia instead of Sterling. Would make us a bit narrower, but that's much preferable to what Sterling is adding, which is nothing at the moment (I do think he's got the potential to be a wonderful player, I will add that). I'd be tempted to stick with Kane, but would fully understand if he's replaced by Vardy.

After watching quite a few of the games, no team has really stood out as huge favourites. If the Germans had a striker, it would be them, but as it stands nobody has looked amazing. If we could get on a bit of a roll, then we have a chance to go quite deep. Could very well be a big "if" though!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:58 pm

al_quaker wrote:I think we've looked pretty promising. Yes we've played two average teams, but we've been utterly dominant. I like the formation we're playing, but unfortunately Lallana, who's played well, isn't known for his end product, and Sterling is woefully out of form, so Kane has been feeding off of scraps. We're missing Welbeck massively - he's perfect in that wide attacking role, as he provides an end product. The midfield looks nicely balanced, although we haven't seen the best of Alli.

I'd start Sturridge against Slovakia instead of Sterling. Would make us a bit narrower, but that's much preferable to what Sterling is adding, which is nothing at the moment (I do think he's got the potential to be a wonderful player, I will add that). I'd be tempted to stick with Kane, but would fully understand if he's replaced by Vardy.

After watching quite a few of the games, no team has really stood out as huge favourites. If the Germans had a striker, it would be them, but as it stands nobody has looked amazing. If we could get on a bit of a roll, then we have a chance to go quite deep. Could very well be a big "if" though!
The better teams usually grow into these tournaments though. Maybe we'll do the same?

It will be interesting to see how Slovakia approach the game. A draw will secure third as a minimum, maybe even second if Russia beat Wales by a goal. A win and they can win the group and can secure an easier tie in the next round.

It would be nice if they come and try to win the game, it would be good to see how we respond to that as undoubtedly we'd come up against teams who want to attack us further down the line if we get anywhere.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Sterling should not start the next match, Sturridge should.

THE PRINCE OF WALES

Post by THE PRINCE OF WALES » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Pete,how about Hart in goal would you change him after his mistake.You could always tell him to get rid of his dandruff from his gloves!!!!!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Sterling should not start the next match, Sturridge should.
Some fine analysis, Pete.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:17 pm

THE PRINCE OF WALES wrote:Pete,how about Hart in goal would you change him after his mistake.You could always tell him to get rid of his dandruff from his gloves!!!!!
Your right Hart didn't instill confidence, but then again he doesn't have any serious competition. A bit like Jameson for us last season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
THE PRINCE OF WALES wrote:Pete,how about Hart in goal would you change him after his mistake.You could always tell him to get rid of his dandruff from his gloves!!!!!
Your right Hart didn't instill confidence, but then again he doesn't have any serious competition. A bit like Jameson for us last season.
You say that, but a) Hart has had very little to do in two games so far, so it's hard to be too critical of him, and B) Fraser Forster is an excellent keeper who I'm sure would do well if he could oust Hart. Butland was knocking on the door too until his injury.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:24 am

Croatia now face the threat of sanctions against them, after the action of their fans last night.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:27 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
You say that, but a) Hart has had very little to do in two games so far, so it's hard to be too critical of him, and B) Fraser Forster is an excellent keeper who I'm sure would do well if he could oust Hart. Butland was knocking on the door too until his injury.

Pete knows fine well Fraser Forster is a capable replacement for Joe Hart.

It's a really bizarre thing he does, to say something blatantly incorrect and then get amused when someone corrects him.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:31 am

Spyman wrote: The better teams usually grow into these tournaments though. Maybe we'll do the same?
Yes true - and Spain looked much much better last night than in their first game, albeit against very poor opposition.

The expansion to 24 teams has certainly diluted the quality and excitement of the group stage. I can't wait for the knockout stages to start.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:56 pm

So, thoughts on last night.

A lot is being made of the 6 changes. To be honest, the only ones I had an issue with were bringing in Henderson and Wilshere. Henderson was very poor, and taking Rooney and Alli out just removed any drive from the middle.

Although Walker has been excellent, the full-backs cover more ground than anyone and so a rest may have been a good idea. Before the tournament I don't think anyone had a strong preference over either full-back position - I don't think there's much between any of them. Really, Clyne and Bertrand should have been able to do enough damage to Slovakia.

And then the changes up front - well most people were in favour of them following the Wales game.

But overall, more of the same - we played a team that set out to get a point and we struggled to break them down again, especially in the second half when I thought we lacked any kind of invention. Vardy in particular was anonymous with Slovakia sitting so deep. I'd have brought Rashford on just for something a bit unexpected.

Defensively we were pretty much untested yet again so very hard to draw any conclusions on that front.

Basically, we just don't have the spark to create something when teams are organised and defensive - and I worry that when we play someone a bit more open, while we might create more, our defence will not be up to the job!

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:00 pm

I thought we played pretty reasonably and definitely deserved the win. Yes the changes didn't help, but at least apart from the keeper, all the squad has had game time, which can only be good as we go forward in the competition.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm

It was frustrating. I think the annoyance is we probably knew before the game that's how Slovakia would play yet started with Henderson.

He's an absolute work horse but he doesn't unlock defences like other alternatives. I thought Wilshere was an ok decision to be honest he just had a poor game by his standards.

If the changes were going to happen I probably would have preferred Barkley over Henderson but other than that not much different. Think Barkley could have brought an extra spark.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:11 pm

lo36789 wrote:It was frustrating. I think the annoyance is we probably knew before the game that's how Slovakia would play yet started with Henderson.

He's an absolute work horse but he doesn't unlock defences like other alternatives. I thought Wilshere was an ok decision to be honest he just had a poor game by his standards.

If the changes were going to happen I probably would have preferred Barkley over Henderson but other than that not much different. Think Barkley could have brought an extra spark.
I agree - Barkley has become a bit of a forgotten man. When you know a team is going to try to shut you out and be quite physical, Barkley seems a decent option. He's a big strong lad who can run at people and create something from nothing. Even if he's not been on great form recently I'd still fancy him to pick Slovakia open over Henderson.

DC