EURO 2016

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EURO 2016

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 am

On a slightly different tack, the fact Northern Ireland can reach the knockout stages with one win and two defeats is barmy.

The group stage could have been a lot better without the ludicrous tournament format which encourages negative football.

I would have said four groups of six, with the top 2 reaching the quarter finals would be much better.

It would actually encourage sides to win matches for a start.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:On a slightly different tack, the fact Northern Ireland can reach the knockout stages with one win and two defeats is barmy.

The group stage could have been a lot better without the ludicrous tournament format which encourages negative football.

I would have said four groups of six, with the top 2 reaching the quarter finals would be much better.

4 groups of 6 would be a lot of games to get played wouldn't it? My maths might be wrong but that's 15 matches to be played per group compared to the current 6. 60 group games overall compared to 36 +8 at the moment.

The way it is does mean less is required to reach the last 16, but ultimately in doing so a team isn't actually getting any further than they would have by just qualifying for the competition in the first place when it was 16 teams in total.

For me, all the increase has done is make the group stage a little bit meaningless.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:41 pm

I was enjoying the extended size format to begin with, kicked up a couple of 'shock' results with the little teams battling bravely. However once that first round of games was completed and teams could see where they stood it has hugely increased teams intention of simply not losing and playing for a 0-0. I was watching every game I could (outside of work) until this weekend and now I have pretty much not bothered with any of the final group games as you can almost predict what's going to happen.

I enjoy a feel good story but people are going over the top with the success of teams qualifying out of their group. Norn Ireland made it through simply because they managed to win one game v the Ukraine. These teams being lauded for getting through as some sort of significant achievement is an overreaction they have done it because it’s almost impossible to go out. Could you say the Czechoslovakia,made the semi-final in 1960 when there were just 4 teams competing.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Have you seen the venues for Euro 2020? From Baku in Azerbaijan to Glasgow. An absolute nightmare for anybody wanting to follow the competition, at least you'll rack up a few air miles!!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:On a slightly different tack, the fact Northern Ireland can reach the knockout stages with one win and two defeats is barmy.

4 groups of 6 would be a lot of games to get played wouldn't it? My maths might be wrong but that's 15 matches to be played per group compared to the current 6. 60 group games overall compared to 36 +8 at the moment.
It would but then of course you wouldn't have the last 16, which is a layer of fixtures reduced. It would still be an increase in fixtures, but for me it would be worth it as there wouldn't be as many defensive matches. In a major tournament, no side should be turning to do what Slovakia did against England on Monday.

24 teams is always going to be problematic from a numbers point of view (16 or 32 fits more naturally).

For me they should have kept it at 16 teams, but we are where we are.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:32 pm

At the moment it looks like we'll be playing the might of Iceland.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:

It would but then of course you wouldn't have the last 16, which is a layer of fixtures reduced. It would still be an increase in fixtures, but for me it would be worth it as there wouldn't be as many defensive matches. In a major tournament, no side should be turning to do what Slovakia did against England on Monday.

24 teams is always going to be problematic from a numbers point of view (16 or 32 fits more naturally).

For me they should have kept it at 16 teams, but we are where we are.
Yep, I've included the extra games above. You're looking to fit in 16 extra fixtures, that's going to give you plenty of days with 4 games, rest periods to be accommodated etc.

As you say, we are where we are. It's been done for money and it's made the tournament poorer.

Iceland on Monday night though, I'll take that. Of course they'll set out to defend and Nick a goal. Let's just hope we can get an early goal this time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:At the moment it looks like we'll be playing the might of Iceland.
Yet another correct prediction. :roll:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:At the moment it looks like we'll be playing the might of Iceland.
That's not a prediction, Pete. It's a statement of fact.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Don't rain on my parade! If Iceland hadn't come second in the group, then people would have blamed me. :D

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Don't rain on my parade! If Iceland hadn't come second in the group, then people would have blamed me. :D
Would they have complained if Hungary had come second?

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:46 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Iceland are the better option for England. We just have to break them down, if we can score, then Iceland will have to come forward, which should in theory open up the game for us.

slappys forskin

Post by slappys forskin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:53 am

With the KO draw now Pete what does your crystal ball tell you who is going to win it .

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:33 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote: Yet another correct prediction. :roll:

Iceland are the better option for England. We just have to break them down, if we can score, then Iceland will have to come forward, which should in theory open up the game for us.
Easier said than done, as in all three of our games so far we've failed to break down defensive teams.

If we can get an early goal, it should in theory be plain sailing, as like you say, they'll have to attack us and we can exploit the gaps they leave. Much like Wales did on Monday against Russia.

If we don't get that early break through, I expect more of the same.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:04 am

When you look at Wales' side of the draw it is so frustrating we didn't top the group. There is only Belgium and Croatia who I would fancy over them to get to the final.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 am

Am I right thinking that if we beat Iceland we play the winner if Spain v Italy in the quarter final?

:?

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:09 am

I don't think so. Took a bit to find a graphic but it seems to suggest France / Ireland in the QF.

http://u.goal.com/3367600/3367602.jpg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:52 am

Yeah definitely France/Rep. Ireland in the last eight, then most likely Germany, Italy or Spain in the semis (no disrespect to Slovakia intended).

Nice easy run.

But we have to get past an unbeaten Iceland first.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:54 am

lo36789 wrote:When you look at Wales' side of the draw it is so frustrating we didn't top the group. There is only Belgium and Croatia who I would fancy over them to get to the final.
No if we beat Iceland then we will play the winners of the France v Rep Of Ireland game in the quarter finals.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
lo36789 wrote:When you look at Wales' side of the draw it is so frustrating we didn't top the group. There is only Belgium and Croatia who I would fancy over them to get to the final.
No if we beat Iceland then we will play the winners of the France v Rep Of Ireland game in the quarter finals.
:crazy:

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wat.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm

If I get a second go on this planet, I'm going to come back as a Republic fan.

They are magnificent. Win, lose or draw, they have the most fantastic time and never stop singing.

Credit to them - they are what following your country at a big tournament is all about.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:40 pm

As someone who's had tickets to the quarter final at Stade de France for almost a year, the groups couldn't have gone much better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Well we're in a bit of a pickle aren't we. If Iceland defeat us, then it will be a new low for the England international team.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Hodgson has 45 minutes to save his England career and save our blushes.

THE PRINCE OF WALES

Post by THE PRINCE OF WALES » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:02 pm

Wales Wales Wales

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 pm

HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE

Well they did better than in the World Cup, they got out of the group.

FUCK THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
WE ARE DARLINGTON F.C. :D :clap: :lol: :roll:
Last edited by joejaques on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 pm

THE PRINCE OF WALES wrote:Wales Wales Wales
Bugger off. :D

What a total embarrassment we are. At least Hodgson will get the sack at long last. The people I am sorry for is our fans, great support, far better than England deserved.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 pm

I didn't like that result. Can we play the game again?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Bye bye Hodgson.