Ched Evans joins Chesterfield

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Interesting move given the furore when he tried to find clubs to join 18 months ago.

Of course since then his conviction has been quashed so he is an innocent man, unless proven guilty at his retrial.

I'm surprised this hasn't been left until after the retrial (what happens if he's once again found guilty?)

Undoubtedly there'll be a backlash from some groups, but as I've said, there's no grounds for it as his conviction has been quashed so as it stands he is innocent until proven guilty.

http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/a ... 46681.aspx
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Re: Ched Evans joins Chesterfield

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:47 pm

An innocent man has lost about 4 years of his career. After so long out he may not be as good a player as he once was either, so you could argue he might lose more going forward.

Even when he was found guilty, it's despicable the way people got together after his sentence was over to hound him out of potential clubs and roadblock him all the way. He did (not do) the crime, he did the time - let him try and re-integrate.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:53 pm

From the BBC article about him signing for Chesterfield...

"Evans also had an offer to use the Blades' training facilities rescinded in November 2014 after more than 170,000 people signed a petition against the move."

170 THOUSAND people.

AFTER he'd served his sentence.

Basically 170,000 saddos wanted him punished twice. Reminds me of religious people.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:23 pm

No doubt a petition will be started against him joining them and no doubt a good few of the signatures, will be the same signatures as on previous petitions against him joining other clubs in the past. I hope he gets his career back on track.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:43 pm

If he is found not guilty at the re-trial then it will just rub salt in the wounds. That still a way off yet though I imagine.

If all those who protested against it were Sheff United fans then I'd be more accepting, but I am guessing that most couldn't even tell the difference between a Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday football shirt never mind anything else - basically it would have had no impact on their life whatsoever.
Darlo_Pete wrote:I hope he gets his career back on track.
I don't actually care about him as a person mind just he is treated fairly in line with the justice system. Lets not forget I still think he was a despicable human for what he did to his gf regardless if it was consensual or not.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote: I'm surprised this hasn't been left until after the retrial (what happens if he's once again found guilty?)
The club will have a get out clause should he be found guilty for this or any other crime.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:10 pm

But even if he IS found guilty...?

How long past finishing his sentence should he continue to be hounded and roadblocked for?

Who gets to decide when enough is enough, and isn't that what the courts are for? To decide on our behalf?

Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with sentencing tariffs for various crimes is another argument - but by the law of the land he had served an appropriate sentence for the crime that he was found guilty of at the time, and we all have to abide by that.

Basically people want to make sure that as well as punishment already served, that he also is ruined on top of that for whatever length of time - as I said, effectively a second punishment to serve.

We only need the religious nut jobs to come along and condemn him to a 3rd punishment in hell, and finish the job properly.

Not that I'm taking rape or other serious crime lightly, but I'm sure that people understand my point.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 am

Murder is worse than rape yet Lee Hughes managed to continue his career despite a few moans.
We could even look at the case of Paul Terry shagging Dale Roberts wife, ending up in Roberts suicide. We had a few people moan on saying we shouldnt have signed him.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:17 am

loan_star wrote:Murder is worse than rape yet Lee Hughes managed to continue his career despite a few moans.
We could even look at the case of Paul Terry shagging Dale Roberts wife, ending up in Roberts suicide. We had a few people moan on saying we shouldnt have signed him.
Murder!

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Ched Evans cleared of rape after retrial.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Well, well, well...

What utter cretins do the hundreds of thousands of people look like now that petitioned to stop him rebuilding his life after his punishment?

Mob mentality.

Even if he was guilty, what happened afterwards was out of order

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:04 am

The whole thing is a sorry sordid mess and no one comes out of it well.

Certainly not Evans who, although he's been found not guilty, is far from being a saint.

Certainly not his accuser and certainly not the social media lynch mobs who tried to inflict a second punishment by wrecking Evans' attempts to rebuild his career.

That said, the pro-Evans lynch mob, who named his accuser online and tried to intimidate anyone who questioned Evans' behaviour, should also be condemned.

The whole thing is a sorry mess which says nothing good about those involved or more broadly about the society we live in.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:25 am

Evans is obviously not a very nice person, but the way he has been hounded by the anti-Evans mob at each club he has tried to join, has been shocking and I hope they are hanging their heads in shame, but they'll probably just be waiting to attack someone else in the future. Let's hope Evans is now left alone to concentrate on the remainder of his football career.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Lee Hughes (I think) is due to play against us next Saturday...
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:46 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Lee Hughes (I think) is due to play against us next Saturday...
Wow that's a blast from the past. Let's hope he's not so prolific as he has been in the past.