Car parking at BM

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Car parking at BM

Post by poppyfield » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:30 am

Went down this morning and put my application in for a car park space, :thumbup: not hopeful of getting one though, as it looks like been well over subscribed. :thumbdown:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

HarrytheQuaker

Re: Car parking at BM

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:50 am

Already it were only announced yesterday what were happening

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:37 pm

250 parking spaces gone in first morning after they were announced, and already over subscribed. Can't see it.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Really should be a fairer way of this being done rather than first come first served.

How are people who live and work out of the local area meant to get to BM during the week? I posted my application this morning, but clearly people who live in town can hand deliver or drive the BM with ease!

Distance traveled from home would make a lot more sense. Some people have to drive to the match as they have no public transport

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:39 pm

At the AGM tonight it was stated that plan is to extend to 500 spaces fairly quickly so should be plenty of room for everyone after that.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Was mentioned previously that we could increase to 500 spaces, dependant upon usage/cash.

Interesting to here that the upkeep of the car park, which will be required (car park completed relatively cheap will require up keep costs) is down the Rugby Club.

This was part of the explanation to £5 costs, some to the club, some to the rugby club.

Still too expensive in my mind but good to hear a little explanation.

SalopQuaker

Post by SalopQuaker » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:00 am

If I come to watch the rugby club play, will I be charged £5 as well? Or is it just football fans that will be charged?

SalopQuaker

Post by SalopQuaker » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:40 am

If the rugby club have the responsibility for upkeep of the car park, surely they should be finding a way to fund it. By taking a percentage of our costs they have simply offloaded that responsibility and we, the football club, are then paying for that upkeep.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:52 am

SalopQuaker wrote:If the rugby club have the responsibility for upkeep of the car park, surely they should be finding a way to fund it. By taking a percentage of our costs they have simply offloaded that responsibility and we, the football club, are then paying for that upkeep.
The existing car park meets the Rugby Club's needs. The new car park is to meet DFC's needs. Maintenance costs of the new car park will generally be proportional to usage. The upkeep costs have to be met one way or another and a 'pay as you go' system rather than just increasing our overall rent seems sensible and equitable.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:06 am

Its a shame that the explanation given by Neil Raper at the AGM, about how the maintenance cost of car park falls on rugby club, wasn't included in car parking announcement. It would have stopped some of the resentment towards the rugby club developing.

Still think that £5 is too much for parking. Just like at the Arena people will pay it but they won't be happy about it.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:32 am

There won't be enough car parking for everyone, and most will have to park elsewhere because of that, so the £5 charge (which looks to be 84p to the VAT man, and £2.08 each to the football and rugby clubs) will be irrelevant to most people.

The only people paying £5 will be people that really need to or really want to park at BM.

But of course £5 is not much if there are 2-4 people in the car.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:24 am

Oh cack, I paid by BACS on the first day but put my form in the post. I guess they'll allocate them to the first 250 forms received rather than the first monies received.
What's the story with the car park, is there room for more spaces? Seems with such high demand it would be worth finding a bit more money to make it as large as possible.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:26 am

They hope to double the car park to 500 spaces in the future (next season?), depending on demand & funding.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 am

poppyfield wrote:Went down this morning and put my application in for a car park space, :thumbup: not hopeful of getting one though, as it looks like been well over subscribed. :thumbdown:
We're you told that? There has been no official announcement and John Tempest handed some application forms to QR last night

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:02 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
poppyfield wrote:Went down this morning and put my application in for a car park space, :thumbup: not hopeful of getting one though, as it looks like been well over subscribed. :thumbdown:
We're you told that? There has been no official announcement and John Tempest handed some application forms to QR last night
There are only 125 spaces available to buy plus the 25 for disabled parking, not the whole 250 car park, when I asked how they were going and was told "to well", that's why I am not sure if my application will be successful.
Anything with Darlo at the moment gets snapped up, invested in at extreme pace, (which is a good thing)I have no doubt that the car park will be the same.
What better way to test the water so to speak, is to leave the mini car park season ticket application open for a couple of weeks, the club will then have a better understanding of the demand for car park season tickets.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 am

poppyfield wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
There are only 125 spaces available to buy plus the 25 for disabled parking, not the whole 250 car park, when I asked how they were going and was told "to well", that's why I am not sure if my application will be successful.
Anything with Darlo at the moment gets snapped up, invested in at extreme pace, (which is a good thing)I have no doubt that the car park will be the same.
What better way to test the water so to speak, is to leave the mini car park season ticket application open for a couple of weeks, the club will then have a better understanding of the demand for car park season tickets.
No need for panic on here then. Mini season tickets are available until 1st December according to a dfc tweet shortly after they were announced

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:13 am

Seems DRFC have to pay £30,000 back to the council over the first 10 years in regards to the car park being completed, not sure if anything else is required after that.

Maybe puts the £5 into a bit more context.

Still think it's too much but without knowing the ins/outs of the deal, I am starting to see why the car park price is high than we would all like.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:06 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
poppyfield wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
No need for panic on here then. Mini season tickets are available until 1st December according to a dfc tweet shortly after they were announced
Think you are mixing the Mini season ticket and the Mini car parking ticket up,
Mini season ticket available till the 1 Dec. Mini season car park ticket available till 25 Nov :wave:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:27 am

Surely most people will walk or park and walk....I'd have thought that was part of the reason to head back to Darlington? 12 mile drive v 20 minute walk!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Just hope people don't start parking on the verges like at Bishop nowadays! Some really selfish drivers.....

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:12 pm

With our council they would get a ticket from day 1

botrash

Post by botrash » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Oh cack, I paid by BACS on the first day but put my form in the post. I guess they'll allocate them to the first 250 forms received rather than the first monies received.
Same here, as emailing the form wasn't an option. Hope those that drive furthest to games aren't disadvantaged in this by being too far away to return the forms by hand!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:16 am

jjljks wrote:Just hope people don't start parking on the verges like at Bishop nowadays! Some really selfish drivers.....
I'm sure the selfish drivers will and there appears to be plenty. I'll probably be parking on Blackwell Lane and walking past the hotel.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:14 pm

It's gonna be a nightmare around there I went down past South Park and it were single file. No double yellows on the main rd outside the ground either, I can see that been a problem...

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:44 pm

On the website now that they have sold the 150 car park slots already. The other 100 will be pay on the day on a first come basis.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:43 pm

That'll be interesting on match day with 100 car spaces up for grabs, wouldn't fancy turning away all the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:27 pm

QuakerPete wrote:That'll be interesting on match day with 100 car spaces up for grabs, wouldn't fancy turning away all the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you'll get people who are too late trying to get out and find some street parking, getting stuck with people hoping to still get a place. It's a recipe for trouble.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:55 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Was mentioned previously that we could increase to 500 spaces, dependant upon usage/cash.

Interesting to here that the upkeep of the car park, which will be required (car park completed relatively cheap will require up keep costs) is down the Rugby Club.

This was part of the explanation to £5 costs, some to the club, some to the rugby club.

Hundreds of on-grass car parking places seem to be needed from the onset. 250 car places is totally inadequate bearing in mind, that the club needs to attract many new / returning supporters:
Over 3,000 capacity (or whatever is dictated by Council)
Several hundreds of over 60's already attending games
Disabled attendees
Lack of on-street parking nearby
Lack of connecting bus services to/from some villages & estates
Away & Neutral supporters
Chaos at the single entrance stopping and turning cars away
Number of local taxis available for peak demands
Families
No park and ride scheme

Hassle with parking coupled with no 2016/17 seating is potentially a turn-off for many, especially those who have previously attended the Arena, Feethams and other football venues.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:03 pm

I wonder how other clubs in the league manage who get similar attendances yet have less on-ground parking....

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Was mentioned previously that we could increase to 500 spaces, dependant upon usage/cash.

Hundreds of on-grass car parking places seem to be needed from the onset. 250 car places is totally inadequate bearing in mind, that the club needs to attract many new / returning supporters:
Over 3,000 capacity (or whatever is dictated by Council)
Several hundreds of over 60's already attending games
Disabled attendees
Lack of on-street parking nearby
Lack of connecting bus services to/from some villages & estates
Away & Neutral supporters
Chaos at the single entrance stopping and turning cars away
Number of local taxis available for peak demands
Families
No park and ride scheme

Hassle with parking coupled with no 2016/17 seating is potentially a turn-off for many, especially those who have previously attended the Arena, Feethams and other football venues.
Talk about looking for problems.

3,000 capacity means roughly 1,000 cars at an absolute max (most people coming by car will share)

But we'll be nowhere near that figure of cars anyway because many will walk from town or catch the bus.

And if more than 250 cars do turn up, there are estates and streets off Grange Road, and plenty other streets within 10 minutes walk.

We used to have the same "problems" at Feethams and everybody managed - and that was sometimes with attendances far greater!

Modern society = pussies.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017