Extension to FL to 100 teams is cancelled

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Extension to FL to 100 teams is cancelled

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Well that seems an end to that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37998768

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Extension to FL to 100 teams is cancelled

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:49 pm

GOOD!

The bit below made me chuckle. In Harvey's world, playing less matches makes the remaining ones "more special and more important" - if you carried this logic through it would be even better to only play 5 matches per season, thus making them really very very special indeed. :roll:

copied from Pete's link ...

...Would EFL clubs have lost revenue?

EFL clubs would have seen their number of league matches reduced from 46 to 38 per season.

Despite the potential of losing revenue from three fewer home matches, Harvey had asked the 72 clubs to take a "broader view of English football".

He also said long midweek trips across the country for fans would "in the main" disappear, but that Saturdays would become "more special and more important".
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:14 pm

I happen to agree with that. There's too much anyway. How many midweek games are attended by the bare minimum of season ticket holders?

It's supply and demand. There's less of something, people are more likely to treat it as special. It's the same as why I think it's advantageous to have a slightly undersized stadium, because it creates demand for less attractive games. If the stadium is too big and anyone can get a ticket for any game, then there's less of a clamour for tickets.

I think it's a shame, and it also would've been an easier route back to the football league. I'm curious how part time clubs manage to compete in the national league, which is almost why i wonder if we'd be better off being promoted after another year in this league rather than straight away, given we'd have the costs of improving the stadium on top of all the extra travel. If you had a 100 team football league, you could make the conference all regional.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Limiting supply doesn't increase demand it increases price. I do see what you mean about it being a different proposition though, a full bouncing ground has more appeal than empty seats/space.

I do think a 100 team FL wouldn't be the end of the world if say League Two/Conference were combined and regionalised as a result.

Prem / Championship / League One / League Two North / League Two South

There would be 16 Conference teams left as a result of these changes so not sure how they could be absorbed into Conference North & South though...