Football is going bonkers

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:48 am

A Chinese Premiership club is offering Alex Sanchez of Arsenal £400k a week to join them. How can any player be worth that sort of money? This will only end one way and it won't be good for football.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Football is going bonkers

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:12 am

According to today's Sun (so it must be true), 2 Chinese Premiership Clubs are prepared to offer Rooney £700k a week to join them next summer, I'm almost lost for words.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:31 am

They don't do things by halves, do they?

They said their plan is to build a league similar in stature to the big leagues in Europe.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:32 am

I read that Oscar's going there on megabucks too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:37 am

Probably not too unrealistic to expect that in 40 years we will have gone from the first £1million player to the first £1million per week player...

Such an insane level of inequality. Supply and demand laws would simply say they must be worth it - even if it is a more strategic/long term ambition.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Mark my words, it all end in tears.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Not really. There is clearly a lot of money sloshing about. If it runs out it runs out.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:48 pm

There is no way the Chinese general public, will be able to afford tickets that would cover the cost of these players.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:57 am

They don't need to sell tickets to cover this cost, Pete, the same as Premier League teams don't pay their players from gate receipts. They can broadcast this league to a massive amount of people so sponsorship and advertising is the biggest earner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:09 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:They don't need to sell tickets to cover this cost, Pete, the same as Premier League teams don't pay their players from gate receipts. They can broadcast this league to a massive amount of people so sponsorship and advertising is the biggest earner.

Yes I realise that, but having such a massive gap between a playing budget and gate receipts, is not sustainable over anything but a very short period. Plus I think a Chinese Premier League, won't attract global audiences or TV, as that is where the big earners are.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:36 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Yes I realise that, but having such a massive gap between a playing budget and gate receipts, is not sustainable over anything but a very short period.
A massive gap between overall revenues and budget isn't sustainable. Where those revenues come from is pretty irrelevant as long as there is some consistency in the guaranteed income v contracted liabilities time period.

If you have a 10 year sponsorship deal paying you £30m pa then you can afford expenses of £30m pa even if you are tied in for 10 years. If you have a TV deal for a 1 year period then any liability should be restricted accordingly.

Surely gate receipts income is more elastic than other revenue streams (outside of season tickets - but even that is only guaranteed for a year) so it is safer to have alternatives?

Wasn't it suggested that Premier League clubs could basically let fans in for free as of next season and their revenues would still be greater than they are this season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:37 am

Now an unnamed Chinese Premiership side offered Ronaldo £1.6 million a week to pay for them. I know he's good but not that good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38465052

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:44 am

Things go even dafter, 800k a week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z4V1XKJ3MC

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:35 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:They don't need to sell tickets to cover this cost, Pete, the same as Premier League teams don't pay their players from gate receipts. They can broadcast this league to a massive amount of people so sponsorship and advertising is the biggest earner.

Yes I realise that, but having such a massive gap between a playing budget and gate receipts, is not sustainable over anything but a very short period. Plus I think a Chinese Premier League, won't attract global audiences or TV, as that is where the big earners are.
If the Chinese want to do it they probably will. The trains now arriving full of stuff we all buy can go back stuffed with soon-to-be-rich(er) footballers.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm

You can't blame anyone who can get paid that sort of money just for playing football. However who really wants to watch them?
Last night's footie served up on BBC between Man City and West Ham - a one sided match if ever there was one - was a typical example of what goes wrong when rich clubs buy the best players for their success. By half time it was boring. When the 4th goal went in, the "stars" were taken off to rest them. By the time it ended at 5-0 you could be forgiven for being put off football for life. It wasn't just the West Ham players who were desperate for it to end.
In the lower leagues, matches are exciting. Players give their all. Yes they don't have world class skills, but who cares? They're still better than those of us who pay to watch.
Enjoyment is what watching football should be about.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:You can't blame anyone who can get paid that sort of money just for playing football. However who really wants to watch them?
Last night's footie served up on BBC between Man City and West Ham - a one sided match if ever there was one - was a typical example of what goes wrong when rich clubs buy the best players for their success. By half time it was boring. When the 4th goal went in, the "stars" were taken off to rest them. By the time it ended at 5-0 you could be forgiven for being put off football for life. It wasn't just the West Ham players who were desperate for it to end.
In the lower leagues, matches are exciting. Players give their all. Yes they don't have world class skills, but who cares? They're still better than those of us who pay to watch.
Enjoyment is what watching football should be about.
Yep, there's more to it than money. I don't actually watch much football these days - much rather go to a match if I could.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:48 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38636082

Chinese super league put in controls to encourage the development of their own national talent and limit ability to spend big money on foreign imports.

I wonder why they didn't go down the route of under 23 teams competing in cup competitions in their regional divisions...

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:55 pm

This may slow things down a bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38636082

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Wasn't Diego Costa recently offered close to a Million a week to leave Chelsea?

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:32 am

Yes he was, I think a million pound a week for one player is just round the corner. Apparently India wants to have a big Premier League and their clubs could soon be competing with the Chinese, in offering mega pound contracts.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:23 pm

I see Luis Suarez signed on in China for a cool half a mill a week...

Absolutely stupid money

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:37 am

Gareth Bale looks like he may go to the Chinese Premier League for a reported £1m per week wage. Utter madness.

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:59 am

I attended our company AGM, when we had Ron Atkinson as the speaker, he was brilliant, taking questions directly from the floor, he stated that his fear for football was at the level below the Premier League. In particular, the championship as he was aware of clubs paying £40k / week to players who sat on the bench, as the manager did not fancy their style of football.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Yeah football has gone mad. In china its like the premier league in the mid 90s when alot of foreign players started been lured to clubs who were spending big
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Apparently bale's move to China has fallen through and apparently he is remaining at Real Madrid.