Mowden Park RC

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Mowden Park RC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 pm

I've heard that they are struggling financially, taking out a loan at a very high interest rate and then using the majority of the loan to pay off a previous outstanding loan from the Rugby authorities. Has anybody else heard anything similar? I don't think UB40 are going to solve their financial issues.

BUSHEAD

Re: Mowden Park RC

Post by BUSHEAD » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:06 am

Nope, haven't heard that whatsoever.
Think before posting

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I've not heard anything but just thinking logically, if you take out a high interest loan to pay another loan you're already sliding down a very slippery path.
From your post the rugby club apparently have a loan from the rugby authorities, if the rugby club was struggling to pay this loan they would explain to the rugby authorities that the only way of paying them back at the rate they want could result in the death of the club. The rugby authorities would then likely ease their demands to help secure the rugby club's future.

Also didn't Mowden make multi-million pound profit from the gap between the sale price of yiewsley drive and the arena? Why would they need to take out a high interest loan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Because all the profits from the sale of that land have gone as far as I know.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:13 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Because all the profits from the sale of that land have gone as far as I know.

What? Mowden have lost something like £4-6mill in 4 years? On what? I'm sure it's not possible!

And what about the majority or my reply?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:59 am

As far as I know the debt to the rugby authorities has now been paid off. I've no idea if the authorities would help clubs who are struggling. Unfortunately Mowden are stuck in a ground, with crippling charges they can't afford. Darlington has never been a rugby town and I can't see that changing anytime soon. They must be envious of our support, as I'm sure they'd like to attract crowds of around 2000.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:59 am

As far as I know the debt to the rugby authorities has now been paid off. I've no idea if the authorities would help clubs who are struggling. Unfortunately Mowden are stuck in a ground, with crippling charges they can't afford. Darlington has never been a rugby town and I can't see that changing anytime soon. They must be envious of our support, as I'm sure they'd like to attract crowds of around 2000.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:14 am

You still haven't answered my questions Pete.

Where did Mowden's surplus of £4-6mill go? What was the loan from the rugby authorities used for?

And no, Mowden are not stuck in the ground, they are happy to be there.
How do you know they can't afford the charges?

Since the rugby club has moved there they've returned to being the best NE rugby team behind Newcastle Falcons, they've had the biggest attendances in my lifetime (and probably ever) and their average attendance has increased by multiples of the previous averages. Also the sponsorship they've attracted is much more significant than at YD.
I bet Mowden have had more internationals (men's, women's, seniors and age groups) since they've moved to the stadium than DFC have in our history.

All in all, it's been a success story but you seem to draw up these rumours a coupe of times a year which inevitably turn out to have no grounding. You either make these up yourself or believe the same bitter person each time they say something despite the last few times being wrong.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 pm

You just have to talk to people who know stuff to know that Mowdens pot is running dry very quickly. The arena is a millstone around their necks and even with the best will in the world, they are struggling to make it financially viable. I give it a year at most before the s*** hits the fan big style.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:00 pm

I noticed they had 777 spectators last week, that's not going to pay the bills. Went past the Arena and the place was dead, at least we did quite successful Sunday lunches when we were their.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I noticed they had 777 spectators last week, that's not going to pay the bills. Went past the Arena and the place was dead, at least we did quite successful Sunday lunches when we were their.
Yeh Pete if only we had the Sunday lunches still we'd be rolling in it.

For a man with such limited capacity, or supposed based on what you post here, you reserve quite a lot of it for being quite vindictive don't you?

Grimsby Town, Carlisle United, Hartlepool United and Darlington Mowden Park Rugby Club anyone else on the list?

For what it is worth I don't doubt that their coffers are running down. The challenges with profitability at the arena are well known but we also know the estimated costs to run are c. £10,000 per month. That basically means assuming their rugby side is actually breakeven at worst (they managed it at Yiewsley Drive) if they were making zero profits on marginal activities beyond that they still wouldn't have spent their surplus from the land sale.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:47 pm

I actually think it's sad when you read this thread that there's a gleefulness from Darlo_Pete and Loan_Star when they talk about Mowden Park's finances.

It's as if they're desperate for them to fail so they can sit back and say "Told you so."

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:45 pm

I went out on a night out with a number of the DRFC team - possibly around Easter time. They weren't particularly bothered about anything but wanting to be able to play their games on their pitch.

Neither team is going to set the world alight in their respective sports. The more important thing is that they inspire the next generation of kids to be active and participate in sport.

Whilst Darlington is still a football town, the rugby clubs have done a considerably better job in encouraging female participation than the football club has ever done.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I noticed they had 777 spectators last week, that's not going to pay the bills. Went past the Arena and the place was dead, at least we did quite successful Sunday lunches when we were their.
Yeh Pete if only we had the Sunday lunches still we'd be rolling in it.

For a man with such limited capacity, or supposed based on what you post here, you reserve quite a lot of it for being quite vindictive don't you?

Grimsby Town, Carlisle United, Hartlepool United and Darlington Mowden Park Rugby Club anyone else on the list?

For what it is worth I don't doubt that their coffers are running down. The challenges with profitability at the arena are well known but we also know the estimated costs to run are c. £10,000 per month. That basically means assuming their rugby side is actually breakeven at worst (they managed it at Yiewsley Drive) if they were making zero profits on marginal activities beyond that they still wouldn't have spent their surplus from the land sale.
Didn't Radged Strings say that it was 10k a month just for the gas and electric? If so, then you would need to add on additional costs such as rates, other utilities, maintenance, staffing and security costs if they have any paid staff etc etc.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Maybe I probably didn't commit a lot of what RS said to memory due to trust issues with him...clearly they were misplaced.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 am

I wonder how the UB40 concert ticket sales are going ?
Think before posting

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 pm

I haven't seen any publicity about that concert, I can't imagine they'll fill the stadium for that one.