Hard fought but lucky point

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mario
Team Supported: Darlington

Hard fought but lucky point

Post by Mario » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Just got home from today's match.

Firstly credit to the team and management for having the spirit to come back from being behind 3 times.

Stockport will wonder just how they didn't get all 3 points though. They largely controlled the game, were quicker to the loose ball, had more pace and energy than Darlo and their passing was better and incisive.

First half Darlo were poor with the midfield being overrun, as the wingers weren't tracking back, meaning that the home team always had a spare man in midfield. Darlo sat too deep and the defence was constantly under pressure. The home team stopped the threat from Beck in the first half by having 2 men marking him all the time the ball was in the air, which meant Darlo had nothing much going forward.

In the second half Darlo were better when Falkingham came on and he got stuck in and won a lot of the loose balls County were winning in the first half in midfield.

All 3 of the goals Darlo conceded could have been avoided and overall it was a poor performance but a gutsy one.

Jamieson made a couple of good saves but the second goal he conceded was farcical. Scott's early booking meant he couldn't get stuck in which was needed.

Stockport looked a good team whilst Darlo lacked confidence and the passing of Darlo's was poor with very few decent moves in the match.

Definitely a point gained for Darlo, rather than 2 points lost.

Maurice_Peddelty

Re: Hard fought but lucky point

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:24 am

Mario wrote:Just got home from today's match.

Firstly credit to the team and management for having the spirit to come back from being behind 3 times.

Stockport will wonder just how they didn't get all 3 points though. They largely controlled the game, were quicker to the loose ball, had more pace and energy than Darlo and their passing was better and incisive.

First half Darlo were poor with the midfield being overrun, as the wingers weren't tracking back, meaning that the home team always had a spare man in midfield. Darlo sat too deep and the defence was constantly under pressure. The home team stopped the threat from Beck in the first half by having 2 men marking him all the time the ball was in the air, which meant Darlo had nothing much going forward.

In the second half Darlo were better when Falkingham came on and he got stuck in and won a lot of the loose balls County were winning in the first half in midfield.

All 3 of the goals Darlo conceded could have been avoided and overall it was a poor performance but a gutsy one.

Jamieson made a couple of good saves but the second goal he conceded was farcical. Scott's early booking meant he couldn't get stuck in which was needed.

Stockport looked a good team whilst Darlo lacked confidence and the passing of Darlo's was poor with very few decent moves in the match.

I don't know what the antithesis of 'rose tinted specs' is but clearly you had them on. I think opinions on how we performed depend a lot on expectations. County were a team that we narrowly beat at Heritage Park and before yesterday's game were only 3 points behind with a game. So I knew they were no mugs and we were in for a very tough match particularly with a large crowd behind them and one of the Division's leading lights up front for them. I fully expected County to have the lions share of the possession and therefore I would have gladly have taken a point before kick-off. To come back from behind on three occasions, the team deserves a huge amount of credit (as do the supporters, who never gave up). I can imagine the County players and supporters were as sick as the proverbials for letting the lead slip on three occasions, but from a Darlo perspective, did I think we did enough to get something out of the game? Absolutely and I think it does our players a disservice to be told by one their own that they were lucky.

I thought it was an excellent game and I enjoyed the day.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:41 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Mario wrote:Just got home from today's match.

I don't know what the antithesis of 'rose tinted specs' is but clearly you had them on. I think opinions on how we performed depend a lot on expectations. County were a team that we narrowly beat at Heritage Park and before yesterday's game were only 3 points behind with a game. So I knew they were no mugs and we were in for a very tough match particularly with a large crowd behind them and one of the Division's leading lights up front for them. I fully expected County to have the lions share of the possession and therefore I would have gladly have taken a point before kick-off. To come back from behind on three occasions, the team deserves a huge amount of credit (as do the supporters, who never gave up). I can imagine the County players and supporters were as sick as the proverbials for letting the lead slip on three occasions, but from a Darlo perspective, did I think we did enough to get something out of the game? Absolutely and I think it does our players a disservice to be told by one their own that they were lucky.

I thought it was an excellent game and I enjoyed the day.
I think the original is about right from my point of view (from what others have said on social media and following match updates via Twitter). I would gladly have taken a point before the game and we did take our chances to gain a draw. However, on the flip side if Stockport's opportunities which hit the woodwork had gone in then at the very least it could have been 5-3, so yes on that basis it could be classed as a well earned but lucky point.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Thompson put a couple of really good chances wide for us too, on another day they could have gone in. A draw was fair based on chances created in my opinion. You can have all the possession in the world but if you don't create chances what use is it?

IanW15
Team Supported: Stoke & Darlington

Post by IanW15 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Have to agree with Maurice & Loan_Star here.
We expected a hard fought match & that's exactly what we got. True we did ride our luck a bit but I thought we deserved the draw. They had alot of the possession but that's what you would have expected at their place, they are one of the teams who will be challenging for the play-offs. We created plenty of chances & the team showed a lot of character to come back 3 times & deserve all the credit they are getting for it.

The fans were also brilliant, getting behind the team all through, even when behind. Helps to have us all together & under a roof which created a great atmosphere. I'm sure our support played a big part in the team not giving up.

But who do their fans think they are - "You're only here for the County". Yeah, right. Loved it when they announced the attendance & the Darlo fans sang "You're only here for the Darlo".

I thought it was a great game & a credit to both teams. Obviously the Stockport fans I spoke to after were gutted having thrown the lead away 3 times but had to agree it was an exciting match, one saying he thought it was their best performance this season.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Stockport were unlucky.

Darlo were less unlucky.