Sod`s law

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo reborn
Team Supported: Darlington

Sod`s law

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Typical we move from Bishop our game is off but there game is on

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Sod`s law

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Look back to the 14th Jan when Bishop was frozen and match off whilst our game was on v Gloucester, swings and roundabouts I think.

Although Bishop pitch is excellent after the work in the summer, just what they needed and the money left meant they managed to get it done.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:00 am

I have more confidence in the Bishop's pitch than the one at Blackwell Meadows. Hopefully it'll be a lot better after it has been worked on in the summer.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I have more confidence in the Bishop's pitch than the one at Blackwell Meadows. Hopefully it'll be a lot better after it has been worked on in the summer.
Confidence in what exactly?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:49 pm

I think some on here forget that Bishop and Darlington are not the same town, thus the weather will effect both in different ways at different times.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Beano wrote:I think some on here forget that Bishop and Darlington are not the same town, thus the weather will effect both in different ways at different times.
Also Bishop Auckland don't have to share a pitch anymore and we do with a rugby team. I'd have been more concerned at the state of the pitch if DRFC had played yesterday, it may not have been suitable for football but probably perfect for rugby!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Fact is Bishop pitch is a much better football pitch then HP, the drainage is now very good after the money spent in the summer.

BM pitch will need a lot of work and having a football team & a rugby team will always be a challenge especially in winter.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:18 pm

I do hope we're not going to get this every time a game at BM is called off - checking to see if Bishop's game is on.

Our time at Bishop has been and gone, so worrying about their pitch and comparing it to BM is entirely pointless.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:48 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I have more confidence in the Bishop's pitch than the one at Blackwell Meadows. Hopefully it'll be a lot better after it has been worked on in the summer.
This thread in someway is related to the thread in Dec. 16 about the BM pitch being re-laid during the coming summer. ??? Whilst it is evident the pitch requires extensive work to get it to a reasonable standard that facilitates attractive football, getting it to a standard that facilitates both codes for 8 months of the year, may prove difficult and have a hefty on going expense attached.

If as is now evident that if codes share the same pitch (not part of the early plan mooted by M.Jesper) then we need to be cautious on the shared cost.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 am

tezza wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:....

If as is now evident that if codes share the same pitch (not part of the early plan mooted by M.Jesper) then we need to be cautious on the shared cost.
This could be a double edged sword as the requirements of a soccer team are more than those of a rugby team - eg want flatter pitch, shorter grass etc.

If you start to argue over cost of pitch, the soccer teams will lose out as they want more done to the pitch than a rugby team.

From soccer team's viewpoint, far better all costs of pitch are shared than each code pays its own costs

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 am

I normally like your posts Spen but please no more "soccer", its football, let the Americans use that term.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:12 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:I normally like your posts Spen but please no more "soccer", its football, let the Americans use that term.

Well then we are talking about football and football and it gets confusing

I was using soccer to distinguish between rugby football and association football and their respective clubs

Incidentally, the word soccer is not an American invention, it is apparently a British term used long before the Americans took to it

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... rd-soccer/

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I do hope we're not going to get this every time a game at BM is called off - checking to see if Bishop's game is on.

Our time at Bishop has been and gone, so worrying about their pitch and comparing it to BM is entirely pointless.
Agreed. The person who runs Bishops twitter seemed to get a hard on over the fact ours was off and theirs was on too. Short memory for him!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:53 pm

spen666 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:I normally like your posts Spen but please no more "soccer", its football, let the Americans use that term.

No it doesn't. Because we are talking about football and rugby.

It's not hard Spen.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:

It's not hard Spen.

I think you may just find they are both forms of football. "Rugby FOOTBALL" and "Association FOOTBALL"

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Semantics Schemantics.

The important thing is to get a well drained & suitably surfaced pitch that will suit Rugby wanting a relatively soft surface (to limit injuries in mauls) and Association (tee hee) wanting something more firm for playing proper Footie.

I hope the right level of pre-match watering & post-match rolling can be organised at BM, as other clubs have managed to play both codes with some success.

Some expertise may need to be contracted before close season to specify a suitably adaptable substrate and the best grass for it.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:01 pm

I believe we are getting Middlesbrough' s pitch in the summer so we must be returfing rather than reseeding. I only hope some work is done beneath the surface levelling and drainage works.

Is there any more word coming out of the club regarding fund raising for the pitch or additional work to the ground.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm

spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:

It's not hard Spen.

I think you may just find they are both forms of football. "Rugby FOOTBALL" and "Association FOOTBALL"
You are so simple.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:26 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:I normally like your posts Spen .
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Think before posting

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 am

Just trying to be polite, he does get a fair amount of stick, the same with Darlo Pete.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:27 am

spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:

It's not hard Spen.

Seriously Spen, shut up FFS.

Everyone knows it is rugby football and association football, but nobody is tedious enough to pretend that people get confused about it, or have to post it in capitals, apart from yourself.

Nobody gets confused about it, because (just in case they might get confused) they call one "rugby", and one "football".

Not.

Hard.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:27 am

Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:

It's not hard Spen.

Seriously Spen, shut up FFS.

Everyone knows it is rugby football and association football, but nobody is tedious enough to pretend that people get confused about it, or have to post it in capitals, apart from yourself.

Nobody gets confused about it, because (just in case they might get confused) they call one "rugby", and one "football".

Not.

Hard.

Well, it wasn't me that started the nit picking. I posted about avoiding causing unnecessary costs to the club

If you look back it was someone else complaining because I used terms rugby and soccer.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:48 am

Yes, and why did you call it rugby and soccer?

Because you're so mindblowingly tedious that you couldn't differentiate the two sports as rugby and football like everyone on planet earth - and then when asked why the hell you chose to call it rugby and soccer, you felt the need to point out the reasoning was because they both have football in their name, as if nobody else knew that?!

And those that didn't know that, wouldn't care anyway.
Last edited by Quakerz on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:49 am

quakerste wrote:I believe we are getting Middlesbrough' s pitch in the summer so we must be returfing rather than reseeding. I only hope some work is done beneath the surface levelling and drainage works.

Is there any more word coming out of the club regarding fund raising for the pitch or additional work to the ground.
Where have you heard we are getting Boro pitch? ? ?

Eerily quiet on new fund raising: Initially funds were set aside for limited pitch work, indeed it was going to be the first step .. I now suspect those funds have evaporated and will need replenishment

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:56 am

Fundraising was covered at the AGM. Board still formulating plans and deciding on best way forward. Expect a fans forum in next 5/7 weeks.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 pm

tezza wrote:
quakerste wrote:I believe we are getting Middlesbrough' s pitch in the summer so we must be returfing rather than reseeding. I only hope some work is done beneath the surface levelling and drainage works.

Eerily quiet on new fund raising: Initially funds were set aside for limited pitch work, indeed it was going to be the first step .. I now suspect those funds have evaporated and will need replenishment
I mentioned it on here sometime back, I was told by a groundperson. I fear we are losing an opportunity regarding fundraising, I can't see why announcements can't be made as soon as things are decided, rather than waiting for a fans forum.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
tezza wrote:

I mentioned it on here sometime back, I was told by a groundperson. I fear we are losing an opportunity regarding fundraising, I can't see why announcements can't be made as soon as things are decided, rather than waiting for a fans forum.
I think you have cause and effect the wrong way round.

The fans forum will be put in place when there is something to announce.

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
tezza wrote:

Regards Boro Pitch: Has it been costed or confirmed by anyone in authority. ???

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:15 pm

And no-one mentioned American football. I'm sure Spen could find a legal loophole to allow this into the discussion. By the way when will people start to call it our club, not the club? Don't we own it?!

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Someone from the club told me at a recent game.