Ranieri

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Ranieri

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:39 am

Shocking news that he's been sacked only 9 months after winning the title. Where is loyalty on football these days?

Darlogramps

Re: Ranieri

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Right decision to sack him.

A nice man who achieved brilliant things last season, but has made some woeful decisions this time around.

The players are culpable too, but Leicester were relegation- bound under Ranieri.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:09 pm

I think it was a stupid decision to sack him. The players had obviously let him down; did success go to their heads? Whatever went wrong, he was clearly trying to change tactics to sort things out. Vardy has returned to the shadows but he's not the only one. Perhaps the board did Ranieri a favour. He'll now be hot property to manage another lower to middling Premier League side with twitchy management holding the trigger.
As for Leicester, they are sure to be relegated but at least Ranieri can say that he left them above the relegation positions in the Premier League, and involved in the Champions League.
All this decision shows is that the money sloshing around in the Premier League counts for more than loyalty or anything else; it confirms what we already know. The Premier League is rotten and the true game is thriving in the lower leagues.
By beating a Premier League team, Lincoln did us all a favour by demonstrating the skill, quality and ambition of non league teams like ours.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 pm

I'd have kept him as manager even if they get relegated. European Coach of the season says it all really.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 am

Darlogramps wrote:Right decision to sack him.

A nice man who achieved brilliant things last season, but has made some woeful decisions this time around.

The players are culpable too, but Leicester were relegation- bound under Ranieri.
What woeful decisions has he made?

Strikes me he sold Kante and lost the balance but ultimately Leicester are in the same place they were when we took over, except they've won a virtually impossible league to win and done OK in the champions league.

They're probably better off in the league than they expected when they appointed him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:09 am

Spyman wrote:

1. Failure to adequately replace Kante. Granted it was always going to be very difficult to replace Kante's contribution but the replacements haven't come anywhere near. Mendy and Amartey have been totally inadequate. Now Ndidi is the next to try.

2. Signings generally since the summer have been poor. Slimani hasn't contributed as much as his pricetag would warrant. Musa has been anonymous. And so on.

3. By his own admission, he's been too loyal to the players which won the title.

4. Allowing a solid title-winning defence to become flimsy. Have the same 4 defenders (Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs) really regressed so much in just 9 months?

5. Not using the excellent Demarai Gray, instead keeping faith with a listless Mahrez.

6. A litany of tactical and substitute errors in matches (too many to mention).

I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, the players are just as culpable, and their lack of motivation and effort has been disgraceful.

But Ranieri's failings are being glossed over because of last season's achievements and because people like him.

No one expected a repeat of last season, but he has to accept a large amount of responsibility for seeing title winners collapse and become relegation candidates. Minus Kante, the squad is largely the same as last year.

And how many of those criticising Leicester now, derided Ranieri when he was first appointed? There are a lot of sanctimonious and hypocritical pundits out there (Gary "rent an opinion" Lineker in particular).

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:06 am

I have to disagree with you Gramps.

Yes he has made mistakes this season but he should have been given more time to turn things around purely out of respect for what he achieved last season.

If something's wrong, the answer doesn't always have to be "sack the manager".

You say they were heading for the drop, I say he would have kept them up.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:39 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:

1. Failure to adequately replace Kante. Granted it was always going to be very difficult to replace Kante's contribution but the replacements haven't come anywhere near. Mendy and Amartey have been totally inadequate. Now Ndidi is the next to try.

2. Signings generally since the summer have been poor. Slimani hasn't contributed as much as his pricetag would warrant. Musa has been anonymous. And so on.

3. By his own admission, he's been too loyal to the players which won the title.

4. Allowing a solid title-winning defence to become flimsy. Have the same 4 defenders (Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs) really regressed so much in just 9 months?

5. Not using the excellent Demarai Gray, instead keeping faith with a listless Mahrez.

6. A litany of tactical and substitute errors in matches (too many to mention).

I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, the players are just as culpable, and their lack of motivation and effort has been disgraceful.

But Ranieri's failings are being glossed over because of last season's achievements and because people like him.

No one expected a repeat of last season, but he has to accept a large amount of responsibility for seeing title winners collapse and become relegation candidates. Minus Kante, the squad is largely the same as last year.

And how many of those criticising Leicester now, derided Ranieri when he was first appointed? There are a lot of sanctimonious and hypocritical pundits out there (Gary "rent an opinion" Lineker in particular).
Some fair points, although not sure the Kante thing is really his fault.

Yes I'm sure lots of people who criticised the appointment are now supporting him, but I see no reason for them to be embarrassed - at the time it didn't look like a great appointment, Hsi recent track record was patchy but he proved a lot of people wrong and those people are entitled to change their opinion.

I think overall if two years ago you'd have told Leicester fans that in February 2017 they'd still be in the premiership in a relegation fight they'd have taken it. Regardless of what came in between. The fact Ranieri steered them to a league title in my opinion means he should be allowed the time to fight this season to the end and then have a crack at bringing them back up if they do go down.

I don't see who they think they'll appoint at this stage that will do a better job of keeping them up - it's extremely rare for a mid-season managerial change to fix things.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Ranieri pulled off the biggest football shock I can ever remember.

Denmark winning the 92 Euros was good - but Leicester last season winning the title was incredible, the original book makers odds just point to that fact - 5000/1.

To me Leicester did the Premier league a big favour last season by making it interesting, and Ranieri was a big part of this by helping to make his team popular with the wider public and neutrals. This work has now been undone and I agree with Feethams 66 when he writes ----
Feethams 1966 wrote:All this decision shows is that the money sloshing around in the Premier League counts for more than loyalty or anything else; it confirms what we already know. The Premier League is rotten and the true game is thriving in the lower leagues.
By beating a Premier League team, Lincoln did us all a favour by demonstrating the skill, quality and ambition of non league teams like ours.

If I was a Leicester fan i would be angry about this, and sacking the manager won't necessarily keep them up either!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:13 pm

So what does "rent an opinion" mean? As far as I am aware Gary Lineker is not only a former Leicester player but also a fan and as such his opinion on Leicester City is valid.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:12 pm

OHDFC wrote:So what does "rent an opinion" mean? As far as I am aware Gary Lineker is not only a former Leicester player but also a fan and as such his opinion on Leicester City is valid.
It's not a question of whether his opinion is valid - it's his hypocrisy for criticising Leicester when they appointed Ranieri, and now criticising them for sacking him.

Put simply, I think Lineker's more interested in self-publicity and his own ego than anything else.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:13 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:I have to disagree with you Gramps.

Yes he has made mistakes this season but he should have been given more time to turn things around purely out of respect for what he achieved last season.

If something's wrong, the answer doesn't always have to be "sack the manager".

You say they were heading for the drop, I say he would have kept them up.
What makes you think he would have kept them up? They've not scored a league goal in 2017, taken only 1 point since the turn of the year and won 1 of their last 10.

And ultimately, with largely the same squad that won the title last year, he's taken them into a relegation battle. Players are culpable as well, but he had to go.

Spyman wrote: Yes I'm sure lots of people who criticised the appointment are now supporting him, but I see no reason for them to be embarrassed - at the time it didn't look like a great appointment, Hsi recent track record was patchy but he proved a lot of people wrong and those people are entitled to change their opinion.
I disagree.

Regardless of someone's previous record, it's very unfair to write them off before they've been given a chance in a new job, as Lineker, Savage et al did.

There was a lot of following the herd in criticising Ranieri when he was appointed- doing it because others are, rather than it being a genuinely held opinion.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:37 pm

I asked what "rent an opinion" means and so would you please answer that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:22 pm

OHDFC wrote:I asked what "rent an opinion" means and so would you please answer that.

Think it's pretty self-explanatory to be honest (and not massively relevant to this thread).

But since you're struggling - I think Lineker believes too much in his own hype and ego and as a result thinks his opinion on every matter under the sun is far more important than anyone else's.

He'll say the first thing that comes into his head on every topic, rather than offering considered insight.

His opinion is just that, an opinion. It's no more valid than mine or yours. Yes he can offer a different insight to me, but to my knowledge he's never run a football club or had to sack a manager.

Therefore his opinion is no different to any other supporter - except I think he believes his is more valid and important than others.

But my criticism isn't on him expressing am opinion (as he's entitled to do) but the hypocrisy he's shown.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
OHDFC wrote:So what does "rent an opinion" mean? As far as I am aware Gary Lineker is not only a former Leicester player but also a fan and as such his opinion on Leicester City is valid.
It's not a question of whether his opinion is valid - it's his hypocrisy for criticising Leicester when they appointed Ranieri, and now criticising them for sacking him.

Put simply, I think Lineker's more interested in self-publicity and his own ego than anything else.
You're wrong, I was listening to 606 on radio 5 this evening and a guy was on who is involved with the Leicester club, said that a few years ago Lineker and 2 others had put money into the club and saved it from going bust. So he has more of a right to talk about Ranieri and Leicester City more than most people.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Is he not allowed to change his opinion based on events that have taken place? I don't see why that's hypocritical.

It's not as if he's denied that he was proved wrong.

DC

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 pm

I am struggling because to me "rent an opinion" means that an opinion will be given for money. So are you saying that you believe that Gary Lineker will give an opinion for money?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 pm

OHDFC wrote:I am struggling because to me "rent an opinion" means that an opinion will be given for money. So are you saying that you believe that Gary Lineker will give an opinion for money?

Nope.

I've explained what I meant quite fully and you seem to have ignored it. You're either being thick or deliberately obtuse.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:31 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Is he not allowed to change his opinion based on events that have taken place? I don't see why that's hypocritical.

Perhaps he shouldn't have written Ranieri off before he'd managed a game for Leicester.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:34 pm

No, which is why I asked becuase I don't know of any definition of rent that doesn't involve money.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:39 pm

OHDFC wrote:No, which is why I asked becuase I don't know of any definition of rent that doesn't involve money.

You're definitely being thick.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You're wrong, I was listening to 606 on radio 5 this evening and a guy was on who is involved with the Leicester club, said that a few years ago Lineker and 2 others had put money into the club and saved it from going bust. So he has more of a right to talk about Ranieri and Leicester City more than most people.
Nope, he doesn't. Everyone can talk about Ranieri and Leicester as much as they want.

If we were basing right to speak on expertise and knowledge, you'd be a mute.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
OHDFC wrote:No, which is why I asked becuase I don't know of any definition of rent that doesn't involve money.

Then please help by providing a definition of "rent an opinion", w
hich is what I asked originally.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:00 am

OHDFC wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You - "Explain what you mean by rent an opinion,"

Me - "OK here's my explanation."

You - "No, provide me with another definition."

I've explained myself quite fully, the explanation is there for all to see. You don't like it but that's tough. If you want to get upset about semantics, go wild.

Why has my criticising Lineker upset you so much anyway?

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:49 am

Darlogramps wrote:
OHDFC wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You - "Explain what you mean by rent an opinion,"

Me - "OK here's my explanation."

You - "No, provide me with another definition."

I've explained myself quite fully, the explanation is there for all to see. You don't like it but that's tough. If you want to get upset about semantics, go wild.

Why has my criticising Lineker upset you so much anyway?
It hasn't.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 am

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Anyway getting back on topic, do you think Ranieri should have been sacked?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Perhaps he shouldn't have written Ranieri off before he'd managed a game for Leicester.
Perhaps he shouldn't, but it doesn't matter either way. He is allowed an opinion, and at the time it was an opinion that many others held. He's allowed to change that opinion as well, just as others are.

I'm pretty sure I thought Ranieri was a poor choice at the time. I was wrong. I now think Ranieri deserved the chance to keep Leicester up over a full season and if he failed to do that, I'd have given him a go at getting them back up.

Ultimately, Leicester's fans and owners probably expected a relegation scrap 18 months ago. Would Ranieri have been sacked had they been in this position 12 months ago? Probably, yes. I just hoped there was still enough sentiment in the game to allow Ranieri a bit more time based on his achievements.

DC

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Anyway getting back on topic, do you think Ranieri should have been sacked?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
What a strange reply.

No. As others have said I believe his achievements last season should have bought him at least this season - unless Leicester were completely cut adrift.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:06 am

I think they were going down under Ranieri. This gives them a chance.

Loyalty is one thing but loyalty doesn't really mean much when you are in the Championship trying to get up again next season.

Definitely showed this season how crucial a player Kante was for Leicester by his performances for Chelsea.

Ranieri basically inherited the title winning team from Nigel Pearson if I am not completely mistaken. He did buy Gray in January last year but I wouldn't really suggest that was crucial to their title success.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:12 pm

First game without Ranieri - Leicester win 3-1.

Ultimately if Leicester stay up, the owners will feel they've been vindicated in their decision.