Team strengthening for next season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Team strengthening for next season

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 am

Whether as seems likely, that we'll be in the Conference North next season or in the unlikely event or us getting promoted to the Conference, the team will need considerable strengthening. We need new players especially for the centre of our defence and the centre of our midfield, plus a couple of strikers if Beck leaves us at the end of the season. We probably need 6 or 7 new players, so a busy summer is ahead for Gray.

lo36789

Re: Team strengthening for next season

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:21 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:the team will need considerable strengthening. We need new players especially for the centre of our defence and the centre of our midfield, plus a couple of strikers if Beck leaves us at the end of the season. We probably need 6 or 7 new players, so a busy summer is ahead for Gray.
Pete - we may well finish in the playoff places and in all likelihood (and hope) I expect Fylde and Salford to leave us this season.

We don't need to do anything, we need to invest in development of the ground and then set a playing budget accordingly. We are not entitled to anything next season.

There is not an awful lot wrong with the centre of our midfield.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Whether as seems likely, that we'll be in the Conference North next season or in the unlikely event or us getting promoted to the Conference, the team will need considerable strengthening. We need new players especially for the centre of our defence and the centre of our midfield, plus a couple of strikers if Beck leaves us at the end of the season. We probably need 6 or 7 new players, so a busy summer is ahead for Gray.
Not sure why the centre of midfield would need improving - Turnbull, Falkingham, Syers and Portas are good enough.

Looking at the current squad and the performances/results this season, the centre of defence is the only area that could do with strengthening. Maybe another forward. Two or three signings are all that are needed (barring players leaving).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am

Unless the extra seating is built, is there any point in spending money strengthening the team

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 am

spen666 wrote:Unless the extra seating is built, is there any point in spending money strengthening the team
Indeed.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:12 am

Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:Unless the extra seating is built, is there any point in spending money strengthening the team
Indeed.
Yep.

Unless the seats fundraising goes incredibly well over summer, then there's no point risking spending lots of money on a team capable of challenging for promotion if they might not be able to actually be promoted. The better thing to do would be to cut the playing budget and spend that money on infrastructure.

Which is a shame, as we're only 2 or 3 players away from a very good team in this league in my opinion (no chance does this current team need "considerable strengthening" or 7 new players :lol: )

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 am

We are a very good team in this league exactly as we are, with 4 games to go we are 4 points off 3rd!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:20 am

On the field, we've progressed much further than off the field. Our main aim over the next few years has to be developing the infrastructure.

Ground improvements, building links with the community, increasing sponsorship and improving our relationship with the rugby club are all areas that need working on.

As others have said, it becomes pointless building a side which can dominate the division, if we're not able to progress.

It's not so much that improving the team is not a priority, but building up our infrastructure now needs to be the bigger concern.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:23 am

lo36789 wrote:We are a very good team in this league exactly as we are, with 4 games to go we are 4 points off 3rd!
Agreed - poor phrasing on my part. As things stand, we're 2 or 3 players away from a guaranteed playoff/possible title winning team at this level.

As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if some of our players left in the aftermath of todays news, so we might well be 6 or 7 players away from a promotion winning side

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 am

Depends how we see this and how it's sold to MG. I'm very confident of raising the money. I was due to invest last time as were many others so if we sell this as an all out assault on the Conference North next year then I'm very hopeful. I think we will raise the money.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:47 am

It will be a fine balancing act between improving off field facilities and having a team to keep the floating fans coming to the games. All very well saying not to have a team to dominate the league but we need to remain very competitive otherwise we just stagnate.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

The players and management can also play their part by winning and taking cup matches seriously. The amount of missed opportunities over the last few seasons could have put a few pennies in the stadium funding!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 am

al_quaker wrote:
lo36789 wrote:We are a very good team in this league exactly as we are, with 4 games to go we are 4 points off 3rd!
Agreed - poor phrasing on my part. As things stand, we're 2 or 3 players away from a guaranteed playoff/possible title winning team at this level.

As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if some of our players left in the aftermath of todays news, so we might well be 6 or 7 players away from a promotion winning side
I don't see why there would be an exodus of players, as long as we're aiming to be in a position to go up next season. Most, if not all, of the current squad would have joined/stayed on the basis that we had no more than an outside shot of being promoted this season. If we reached the play-offs and didn't win them then we'd be starting afresh next season at this level anyway.

Yes we might lose someone like Beck who is young and probably the sort to attract interest from higher up, but other than that I can't see any obvious candidates to leave if we weren't promoted. I would've said Gillies 3 or 4 months ago, but possibly not now.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

I don't see why there would be an exodus of players, as long as we're aiming to be in a position to go up next season. Most, if not all, of the current squad would have joined/stayed on the basis that we had no more than an outside shot of being promoted this season. If we reached the play-offs and didn't win them then we'd be starting afresh next season at this level anyway.

Yes we might lose someone like Beck who is young and probably the sort to attract interest from higher up, but other than that I can't see any obvious candidates to leave if we weren't promoted. I would've said Gillies 3 or 4 months ago, but possibly not now.
There is a difference between competing in the playoffs and not being good enough to win them, and not being able to compete even if you are good enough though.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the effect that this will have on the club. I hope that the players and management don't become disillusioned after all their hard work this season. I hope that the news acts as a catalyst for some incredible fundraising. I hope that business aren't put off having their name associated with us. Only time will tell, and I don't think I've ever wanted to be more wrong!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:03 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

There is a difference between competing in the playoffs and not being good enough to win them, and not being able to compete even if you are good enough though.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the effect that this will have on the club. I hope that the players and management don't become disillusioned after all their hard work this season. I hope that the news acts as a catalyst for some incredible fundraising. I hope that business aren't put off having their name associated with us. Only time will tell, and I don't think I've ever wanted to be more wrong!
Of course - it'll be frustrating if we finish top 5 and can't give it a go, but there's a decent chance either way that we'd still be playing in the Conference North next season, which all the players knew when they joined us.

For most, as long as we're in a position to progress next season, I'd hope they'd stay.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Spyman wrote: Of course - it'll be frustrating if we finish top 5 and can't give it a go, but there's a decent chance either way that we'd still be playing in the Conference North next season, which all the players knew when they joined us.

For most, as long as we're in a position to progress next season, I'd hope they'd stay.
All very true, and I hope you're right. To be honest, the type of character MG is, and the type of characters he likes in his teams, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a huge positive reaction next season. But it also wouldn't surprise me if they're so annoyed with the club that they go elsewhere. A quick start to fundraising could be key.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Anyone who is now having second thoughts about going to the remainder of the games as a result of this news, and those thoughts have crossed my mind, a big turnout showing the players just how well supported they are might just persuade one or two who were having thoughts of leaving that they would be mad to go to Spenny or wherever with such brilliant fans.

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 pm

We need to get back to the Arena and reclaim this stadium asap!!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 pm

I for one Will be investing again as soon as is possible I have the highest regards for the management of both the football club and the football team.I don't blame anyone on our staff for what has happened, The NLN officials are totally to blame.for our predicament.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:46 pm

onewayup wrote:.... The NLN officials are totally to blame.for our predicament.

How do you get to that conclusion?

The FA set the Ground Grading Criteria.

For whatever reason, those in charge at Darlington Football Club did not ensure the ground met the required standard.

How therefore is it the NLN officials to blame?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm

onewayup wrote:I for one Will be investing again as soon as is possible I have the highest regards for the management of both the football club and the football team.I don't blame anyone on our staff for what has happened, The NLN officials are totally to blame.for our predicament.
Do you and Neil Johnson live together in FantasyLand?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Imagining the headline..."Darlo sell Beck for £150,000"!!!! Well, I can dream, it's all that's left for now.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Attendances have "disappointed" since we got to BM according to the board and costs have increased so I'm certain MG's budget for next season will be cut. The board should have already had that discussion with the manager.

Given that there are ambitious teams like South Shields and Spennymoor that can out bid us on wages then it's going to be even harder to retain a competitive squad for next season.

Given the above and the ground grading farce my main on the field worry is ensuring Martin Gray remains our manager.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:07 am

If we just drift along next season, then crowds will drift away.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 am

the gap in quality between Conf North and Conf Prem is big, much bigger than Conf North and Evo Prem, so if we went up whenever that may be maybe half the team needs upgrading

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If we just drift along next season, then crowds will drift away.
If we spend beyond our means next season then we put the future of the club in jeopardy

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am

shadwellman wrote:We need to get back to the Arena and reclaim this stadium asap!!
Mowden didn't want us but with a new chairman they may now. It would certainly solve the seating problem and no request for further funding.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:54 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If we just drift along next season, then crowds will drift away.
Are you seriously suggesting that we cannot sustain a crowd unless we are challenging for promotion?

If that is the case we might as well give up now. I guarantee there will be a point where survival in a division will be success for us over promotion.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:58 am

lo36789 wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that we cannot sustain a crowd unless we are challenging for promotion?

If that is the case we might as well give up now. I guarantee there will be a point where survival in a division will be success for us over promotion.

It happens at every club. Crowds are higher when teams are doing well. Look at Newcastle, crowds are higher this year when top of 2nd tier compared to struggling last year in top tier

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 am

DarloDave40 wrote:Mowden didn't want us but with a new chairman they may now.

We're in too deep - surely?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!