Temp seats at bishop ??

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Temp seats at bishop ??

Post by H1987 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:34 pm

I honestly don't know how you redevelop the clubhouse side without it being either phenomenally expensive or against the wishes of the rugby club.

We need to see the plans before fans are asked to fork out any more money, but honestly I think my rough paint doodle highlights areas we need to work with.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:57 pm

H1987 wrote:I honestly don't know how you redevelop the clubhouse side without it being either phenomenally expensive or against the wishes of the rugby club.

We need to see the plans before fans are asked to fork out any more money, but honestly I think my rough paint doodle highlights areas we need to work with.
Yup, going from your guide we are going to struggle to make BM in a ground fit for the football league without redeveloping the clubhouse. Either that, or the existing seated stand is replaced and the tin shed is knocked down, meaning everything spent up to now will turn out to be a waste of money, which would be scandalous! Maybe its our own fault, the board are fans too and we all wanted to come back to Darlo, but we needed far more scrutiny on whether this was a feasible solution and still do.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:03 pm

We would not have to develope the club house if we could put bigger stands on the far side or away end but that bloody water pipe that goes under the pitch puts a spanner in the works

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Craig09 wrote:We would not have to develope the club house if we could put bigger stands on the far side or away end but that bloody water pipe that goes under the pitch puts a spanner in the works
It's a huge problem, more so on the sideline than on the area behind the goal because of the angle it seems to be at. I know it's only a rough doodle, but it'll allow a little bit of development from the tinshed around... I have a bad feeling it'll come back to bite us for making the tinshed so shallow or the seated stand only six rows deep. I live in hope though.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
H1987 wrote:I honestly don't know how you redevelop the clubhouse side without it being either phenomenally expensive or against the wishes of the rugby club.

Yup, going from your guide we are going to struggle to make BM in a ground fit for the football league without redeveloping the clubhouse. Either that, or the existing seated stand is replaced and the tin shed is knocked down, meaning everything spent up to now will turn out to be a waste of money, which would be scandalous! Maybe its our own fault, the board are fans too and we all wanted to come back to Darlo, but we needed far more scrutiny on whether this was a feasible solution and still do.
The only other option on the table was to stay at HP which we would have had to spend money and develop to stay in the Nat League North and would have had a budget deficit or a reduced budget due to not coming back to Darlo. How many would have put money in to develop Heritage Park?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:57 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:The only other option on the table was to stay at HP which we would have had to spend money and develop to stay in the Nat League North and would have had a budget deficit or a reduced budget due to not coming back to Darlo. How many would have put money in to develop Heritage Park?
I agree, we had to get back to the town. But there is another stadium in the town already at football league standard.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:The only other option on the table was to stay at HP which we would have had to spend money and develop to stay in the Nat League North and would have had a budget deficit or a reduced budget due to not coming back to Darlo. How many would have put money in to develop Heritage Park?
I agree, we had to get back to the town. But there is another stadium in the town already at football league standard.
The board approached them twice and were given no as the answer. Can't move in if the owners don't want you.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:12 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
The board approached them twice and were given no as the answer. Can't move in if the owners don't want you.
Well if that's the case then we had little option, it could be the situation has changed now. More importantly, if BM can't realistically ever be developed to FL league standard (which I fear it can't) should we consider a move?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Well if that's the case then we had little option, it could be the situation has changed now. More importantly, if BM can't realistically ever be developed to FL league standard (which I fear it can't) should we consider a move?
We had no other option, the only other option was stagnate. We moved forward instead although after this week it may not feel like it but we did.

I guess we wait for Friday and the plans the club has to develop BM, I can't see any reason why it can't be made football league although we may need to discuss the investor situation or move very slowly.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:36 pm

We've signed a 20 year deal with the rugby club. They have taken on extra debt to fund their side of the development. They are not just going to release us from the agreement.

Plus we'd have to repay all the FSIF grant money (250k?).

Mowden Park are reported to be struggling financially. Hardly a secure option for us to sign up to.

The Arena isn't going to happen. We have to make BM work.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:We've signed a 20 year deal with the rugby club. They have taken on extra debt to fund their side of the development. They are not just going to release us from the agreement.

Plus we'd have to repay all the FSIF grant money (250k?).

Mowden Park are reported to be struggling financially. Hardly a secure option for us to sign up to.

The Arena isn't going to happen. We have to make BM work.
I fear we might have to make it work too. There are no secure options, no cheap options and I'm not proposing any magical solution. We are in the s*** here whatever. I fear we simply won't be able to make it work at BM and if we can never hope to progress to the football league then staying there would be a death sentence.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:11 pm

We are not entitled to be a football league club and certainly don't need to be a football league club to survive. We could be a club who finish top half of Conference season after season sometimes with a go at the playoffs.

There is a plan - with approval to develop to FL standard that was announced as part of the opening of BM. At least that is how I interpreted it. Some parts of the plan might be a little bit out there but part of the requirements are to have approved plans without an obligation to deliver them as far as I am aware.

If suggesting that it is too early for promotion is defeatist then what is suggesting that if we don't ever achieve FL it is the death of the club.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Im assuming we couldnt play the playoff game at the Arena, and then have until March next season to get the ground to the required level (assuming we are promoted)?

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Im assuming we couldnt play the playoff game at the Arena, and then have until March next season to get the ground to the required level (assuming we are promoted)?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 pm

shawry wrote:Im assuming we couldnt play the playoff game at the Arena, and then have until March next season to get the ground to the required level (assuming we are promoted)?
No, you can't move to achieve promotion. End of!
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:We are not entitled to be a football league club and certainly don't need to be a football league club to survive. We could be a club who finish top half of Conference season after season sometimes with a go at the playoffs.

There is a plan - with approval to develop to FL standard that was announced as part of the opening of BM. At least that is how I interpreted it. Some parts of the plan might be a little bit out there but part of the requirements are to have approved plans without an obligation to deliver them as far as I am aware.

If suggesting that it is too early for promotion is defeatist then what is suggesting that if we don't ever achieve FL it is the death of the club.
I am not suggesting that trying and failing to get into the FL is a death sentence, I am saying that knowing that we are not competing for promotion (because the ground will never be up to standard) is a death sentence. Don't you agree? There is a difference between being a club who are battling for promotion and do not achieve it, and a club who cannot be promoted regardless of how well they do. The latter is not a club people would have any interest in.

Having looked at the location of the pipe and the existing structures again I simply do not see how we can physically achieve what is needed to get BM to FL standard. Can someone please explain how it can be done? The only feasible option seems to be to knock down what we have already built.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:40 pm

I thought that these modular stands were designed to come apart so that they can be extended and added to?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I thought that these modular stands were designed to come apart so that they can be extended and added to?
No sure what you mean by modular? The seated stand can have a stand put next to it, put it can't have any more rows added to it. The roof is concreted in. Is it 6 rows at the moment? We could fit 250 more seats on that side and then it looks like we are stuck.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:09 pm

lo36789 wrote:We are not entitled to be a football league club and certainly don't need to be a football league club to survive. We could be a club who finish top half of Conference season after season sometimes with a go at the playoffs.

The team has overachieved this season? How bad was that?? Last 5 years have been amazing, no matter what happens and I can remember back to 1966/67 (not clearly, but definitely gutted when drawing with Torquay on the last day). Apart from our victory against Mansfield at Wembley, these have been our finest hours.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Yarblockos wrote:

I am not suggesting that trying and failing to get into the FL is a death sentence, I am saying that knowing that we are not competing for promotion (because the ground will never be up to standard) is a death sentence. Don't you agree? There is a difference between being a club who are battling for promotion and do not achieve it, and a club who cannot be promoted regardless of how well they do. The latter is not a club people would have any interest in.

Having looked at the location of the pipe and the existing structures again I simply do not see how we can physically achieve what is needed to get BM to FL standard. Can someone please explain how it can be done? The only feasible option seems to be to knock down what we have already built.
Find myself agreeing with you again... If the club has plans for a FL ground then let's see them on 21st April.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:37 pm

It's not 'not achieving it' as such, but the expectation that we could. If we get to a point where we can't do beyond middling along in the conference because our ground isn't good enough, then people *will* get fed up. You want the hope that you can go on to something better one day.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:49 pm

It's a shame the pitch wasn't moved back a further 15/20 metres from the club house. If this was done the pipe would have cut through opposite corners which would have allowed for development on three of the sides and potentially in front of the club house if the Rugby club would have allowed.

I think this would have given a great opportunity to build a nice little ground.

Let's see what they come up with on Friday.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:57 pm

quakerste wrote:It's a shame the pitch wasn't moved back a further 15/20 metres from the club house. If this was done the pipe would have cut through opposite corners which would have allowed for development on three of the sides and potentially in front of the club house if the Rugby club would have allowed.

I think this would have given a great opportunity to build a nice little ground.

Let's see what they come up with on Friday.
I've said this myself... That would have solved all our problems. I can only assume this was blocked by the rugby club as there's a pitch behind the current seats.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I don't think the team has over achieved, Martin and the players will probably also disagree.

Martin has built team's year after year to complete with the best in the league improving them by adding a couple of players to get the best out of the team.

If we were to play in the playoffs and win them I have no doubt he would bring in a couple of additional players to improve the squad.
Martin is a winner and even with a part time squad he would be looking at the top 5.

It's just a shame we weren't in Darlington a couple of season's ago so we could keep up with him and have a ground ready to go up.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Thing is, if we did go up, I think the ground would require a lot of work, plus there would be additional costs in playing at national level. (Having to play at Torquay etc).

That in mind, i'm not sure if we did go up, that we would be able to invest in the squad. It's probably best to have another year to get the ground in order so that when we do go up, we're worrying about in the field stuff?

Obviously it's horrible to lose out in this way, but it is what it is. I'd certainly sooner we had a chance at the playoffs. The players deserve it, and the club could certainly use the money.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:13 pm

H1987 wrote: Thing is, if we did go up, I think the ground would require a lot of work, plus there would be additional costs in playing at national level. (Having to play at Torquay etc).
Torquay look to be going down.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:19 pm

H1987 wrote:Thing is, if we did go up, I think the ground would require a lot of work, plus there would be additional costs in playing at national level. (Having to play at Torquay etc).

That in mind, i'm not sure if we did go up, that we would be able to invest in the squad. It's probably best to have another year to get the ground in order so that when we do go up, we're worrying about in the field stuff?

Obviously it's horrible to lose out in this way, but it is what it is. I'd certainly sooner we had a chance at the playoffs. The players deserve it, and the club could certainly use the money.
Possibly. Be nice to have the option not to mention the revenue from the play off game and possibly a final

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 am

I'm no structural engineer but can't those seats from bishop but put on a concrete base to make them permanent? Surely someone knows someone who can say if it's feasible?
And I found this
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9762996 ... nd/?ref=rc

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
H1987 wrote: Thing is, if we did go up, I think the ground would require a lot of work, plus there would be additional costs in playing at national level. (Having to play at Torquay etc).
Torquay look to be going down.
Oof, so they do. Similar point stands though, playing at national level will involve things like players having to stay overnight down south, and increased travel costs.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:15 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm no structural engineer but can't those seats from bishop but put on a concrete base to make them permanent? Surely someone knows someone who can say if it's feasible?
And I found this
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9762996 ... nd/?ref=rc

That was my whole idea hopefully this can be looked into